PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Nightmares IC

Pages : [1] 2

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-15, 02:52 PM
It is the year 776 R.E (Recorded era). Forty years after the devastating war that consumed half of the world, the Republic has entered a golden age. Bolstered by the Velmeran addition to the population, the successful founding of New Velok, and the colonization of the Demarcus region, the country is enjoying great economic prosperity in this time of relative peace. It is because of this prosperity that the Republic is expanding, and many merchant guilds have begun to take action.

Looking north-west towards the Tatariaque region, Auri Maraxi, a small merchant guild based out of Lorethos, has set to motion the ambitious plan of colonizing the area. For weeks they were laughed at, not only did they not have the money for such an expedition, but the region is notorious, nay, even named for its bleak weather and formidable monsters. Not only that, but the area lies too close to Trewasha Naruk clans, and the city-states of ancient Norkindar. Even the biggest risk takers knew better than to attempt a settlement there. But something changed.

Within a week after they made their claims of colonization, Auri Maraxi suddenly came forth with all of the supplies needed for the expedition, and fliers for recruitment were sent out all across the country. Anything from guards, to cooks were welcome. The ad promised fame and riches for the individual, and glory for the Republic. This of course attracted the eye of many an adventurer from across the land. All amassing, in Lorethos, all heading to the North. All heading to the same untamed lands that brought forth the great evil forty years ago. One could only hope that they are prepared...

It has been weeks since the settlers last saw civilization. The journey, which started in May, had been a slow trek across the vast wilderness. To most of the forty or so people on this expedition, it was a dull march across the lands. With the exception of Maxwell Turnius, the Emoc in charge, who was delighted by the steady progress. But only few days before, the weather had gotten worse. Rain and thunder storms slowed down travel, along with chilling nights that would freeze unprotected souls. It was supposed to be Summer.

That evening, there was finally a break in the dark clouds. As twilight set in, the setting sun created streaks of gold across the sky. The air was crisp and chill, but nothing like the past few nights. Earlier today the caravan stopped at the foot of tall mountains. It was the first real obstacle in the way of the journey. Scouts were sent out to search for a safe route through the moutnains in the morning, and were due back that night. But they did not return.

During the evening it was not uncommon for many people to gather around the trailer of Malcundus T'Orven, and his sister Aelia. The two half-breed Velmerans tagged along as cooks, bringing along what they like to call their "portable tavern". They were keeping morale up with their excellent dishes, and of course, they brought the ale. It was a boisterous evening like any other. People gathered around camp fires, exchanged stories and enjoyed their meals. They were unconcerned the scouts hadn't come back.

Like any other evening, associates of the University were gathered around their fire discussing Arcane theory and other academic topics over dinner. Usually, it was the only time of the day all of the mages were gathered in one place. After all, during the day everyone conducted their own business and research.

Clarence had come to join his friends from the university for dinner. He had just finished the evening service. As the only holy man that joined the expedition, he was asked by a few of the settlers to perform sermons for the devout.

That evening, Justinius, a recent graduate of transmutation, was arguing with his colleague, Janette, also a recent graduate, although she specialized in conjuration.

"...but that's my point!" Justinius retorted. "Zera's Theory of Sorcery is old. We have much more sophisticated methods of conducting research now. To accept that sorcery is a practiced art fueled by the desires of the individual, rather than inborn, unrefined talent and aptitude for the arcane is preposterous, when the only evidence supporting that fact is her subjective, mind you, subjective, experiences on the matter. Do we, as mages, not also have the desire to control magic? Do we not practice our art?" Justinius sighed and rubbed his head, combing his blond hair.

"I don't know ..." Janette replied with a slight pout. "I'm pretty sure Zera was a lot smarter than you'll ever be."

Bah!" Justinius bent over and rubbed his temples before he turned towards the rest of the group. "Guys, help me out here!"

The roar of fires and laughter greeted as Gorthax as he returned from patrol, which was boring as usual. Since the beginning of this trip he was put on look out duty everyday, and always by himself. Over the past few weeks, he noticed the other settlers seem to shy away from him, and that just by being next to him made even the tougher guards nervous. However, this attitude was not shared by Malcundus, or "Mal", to his friends. Gorthax walked up to Mal's trailer, which had one wall that lifted like a window, allowing viewers to see inside. But it also served as a makeshift bar.

Mal was slouched over the bar, eyes lazily drifting over the crowd, before noticing the shaggy Maltora. He tilted his head up slightly, and his mouth formed a slight grin.

"Well, well well, look who it is. Just wait right there my friend, I'll get you the good stuff." Mal spoke with a friendly voice. He reached under the bar and brought forth a pitcher of ale and a flagon. Pouring the contents of the pitcher into the flagon, he passed it over to Gorthax.

"So?" His voice became inquisitive. "Any word on the fools that were sent into those damn mountains?"

Seeking a quiet place for meditation, Xapham wandered slightly away from the campfires. The noise now from the settlers now muffled and only the murmur of the chill wind filled his ears, he could finally start to relax.

Xapham was not outside the camp, merely away from the loud settlers gathered around the campfires. He found an unoccupied area, covered in soft grass. Xapham had found the perfect spot for contemplation. Nearby are were a few tents that were dark as no one was within them. Or so he thought.

Minutes after he sat down to meditate, an angry yell came from the tent closest to Xapham.

"What?" Came a loud, but somehow small, voice. Xapham of course recognized it. That was the voice of Maxwell, the expedition leader. The middled aged Emoc stormed out from behind the tent near Xapham. Followed closely behind him was a tall, lithe human women, in a scarlet dress. She kept her blond hair in a bun, and always carried around a ledger. She seemed completely misplaced in the current environment, but Xapham couldn't recall her not being around Maxwell.

"This is absurd! You can not be a part of this expedition if you refuse to aid it!" Maxwell yelled as he marched off towards the campfires.

Moments later, another figure stepped out from behind the tent. He was a Belial, something Xapham did not expect. Although his features were silhouetted, Xapham's eyes could make out his red fur in the low light. The Belial seemed to reply casually to Maxwell as the Emoc left.

"Actually, I feed myself, travel by myself and take care of myself. I've yet to do anything that suggests I am part of this expedition." He sighed. But his ears perked up when he noticed Xapham sitting in the grass. "Huh. Well aren't you a freakshow." He said after gazing at Xapham for a few moments.

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 03:45 PM
I fail to see the importance of the debate. Magic is magic, however it comes into the world. And some things that people claim cannot be done without magic, such as many of my techniques, can be learned by anyone.
As he speaks, Dracarias is going through the motions of some of his techniques and checking the wand chambers on his spears. They were a new idea he had been experimenting with, and he wanted to make sure the wands were secure.

Hamste
2014-08-15, 04:24 PM
I'm myself a bit biased on this account considering I'm a sorcerer but I hold that it is quite likely that desire and practice holds an important part for sorcerers. How many sorcerers do you know that are not happy with the spells they master? Most of the ones I know are quite happy with their spells they have and often get the spells they wish when they get stronger. I know I'm happy with the spells I have. That seems to hint that the power needs desire not just raw talent and by practicing we can get the spells we wish. I never had any real interest in the spells from the other schools and I never learned spells from many of the other schools. Besides, sorcerers working off desire and practice does not preclude the possibility of mages also using desire and practice to learn their spells. Raw talent does factor in but it factors in for mages as well. Not everyone can learn to cast spells or can learn only minor spells even with all the desire and practice in the world.

Discussion is important, it doesn't matter if nothing comes from this or if the discussion doesn't particularly serve any point. Discussion allows ideas to spread and grow. Pyrom said as he ate. He didn't drink any of the offered alcohol.

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 04:29 PM
Now, now, no need to get so heated. As time goes by our understanding of the arcane grows and as such even Zera's Theory is not infallible. While that doesn't mean it is wrong, some of its finer points may need to be reexamined and possibly changed to accommodate what has been learned since it was first proposed. Remember, its a theory because it is not yet proven fact! Having finished with his lecture, Clarence begins to shift through his pack for a book on the theory, unsure if he has one or not.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-15, 05:17 PM
Gorthax scratched at his chest and shook his head. "No, not yet. The blasted fools probably got lost looking for berries or some such." He took a swig of the ale."Where I come from - when the scouts go missing, you should keep a look out for giants." He motioned towards the mountains with his tankard. His belch echoed in the cold night air. "bloody stinkin' giants, damn their stupid eyes" he mutters to no one in particular.

"I suspect in the morning they'll send me out to go find those fools. " Gorthax observes. "Or at least find the bodies" he adds grimly.

r2d2go
2014-08-15, 06:00 PM
"Hm, you all make good points. Surely this is testable? After all, Justinius, you mention superior research techniques for the modern arcanist. When we get back from our expedition, surely we could test the aptitude and desires of a wide variety of sorcerers. With our resources, we ought to find out these things core to the very nature of magic... Us Myzandian Emocs have a natural aptitude for the arcane arts, but not all become sorcerers or wizards - neither my mother nor father were. At the same time, Pyrom and I are obviously capable, and so perhaps there was some level of nature over nurture... We should gather information - attempting to train a dozen young adepts the basics of sorcery is well within the University's budget."

Zander sits back, hand tugging on his beard, smiling at the conversation before him, thinking back to something one of his colleagues once said. Discussion becomes research, and research becomes new discoveries... it's nice to see a young conjurist theorizing about such things.

Yas392
2014-08-15, 06:30 PM
Xapham continues to meditate, undisturbed. His master always lectures him that being deeply affected by emotions can cloud decisions and it is not the way of the silver dragon. Heck, even the noises coming from the tents and the Belial are muffled. His eyes is shut but he does not depend on sight. His other senses can tell him when there is a telling blow.

Listen (Take 10) - 20
Sense Motive (Take 10 - on movement and sound) - 13
Concentration (Take 10 - for funsy) - 25
Autohypnosis (Take 10 - Resist Fear) - 20

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-15, 07:48 PM
The wind is starting to pick up. The settlers huddle closer to the fires, the noise dies down somewhat, as if the chill of the wind sapped the people of joy. It wouldn't be long before everyone would seek shelter.

Justinius sighed. "I guessing the real problem would be tracking down Sorcerers before they discover their powers. How else would we know that they were born with magic instead of just discovering it accidentally? Justinius asked with a shrug, before he took a sip from his glass of wine. It was obvious over the weeks that he couldn't stand alcohol, but he swallowed it down anyway, perhaps to feel more mature.

After digging around through his pack of beloved books, Clarence found his copy of "The Works of Zera: a Compendium".

Janette made to speak to Clarence, but decided against it, and closed her mouth.

"Heh, giants it may be then. It was not too long ago they came down from these part" Mal paused, then poured a pint for himself. "Y'know, seeing as you think you'll be looking for them tomorrow. Want to make a wager?" The half-breed grinned. "I'd put gold on at least one of them being alive."

Xapham couldn't see expressions the unpleasant Belial before him, but he could hear his muffled voice. "Whats this? Don't tell me you didn't inherit any Vikzalxi wit. I hear it's legendary. He paused for a moment. "Perhaps there's more demon in you than I had first suspected. Or perhaps you're just dull. Either way, your silence has earned a little respect, if only because it proves you're no hard headed fool.

Xapham could hear the footsteps receding, before suddenly vanishing altogether. Finally, peace and quiet.

For a few moments there was indeed peace. Xapham barely noticed the wind picking up around him. But something else called his attention. His keen ears and focused senses had picked up a rumbling sound coming from the direction of the campfires. It was steady, and paced. Not like the cacophony of a rock slide. It was getting louder, only slightly, but it still was.

Across the way, it was clear that two figures were approaching the fires. One was obviously Maxwell, the leader of the Expedition. It was hard to miss the middle aged Emoc. He was already bald, and had a scowl on most of the time. Behind him came a human women in a red dress. She kept her blond hair in a bun and carried a large ledger. Common sense would place her in some nobles court back in Benzaius, she seemed completely out of her element. However, she wore an expressionless face and never seemed bothered by the chill or rain.

Maxwell was clearly angry about something. either he would be yelling at the settlers or sit alone, mulling over his thought. It was a coin toss either way.

Hamste
2014-08-15, 08:13 PM
We wouldn't need to find them before they find there powers. In essence, no one is saying natural talent doesn't have anything to do with it. The argument comes in whether training affects how the sorcerer progresses spell wise. We just need to find them before they unlock all their powers. We get some who are naturally able to cast spells and show them a several different spells that are just slightly beyond what they can currently cast then they choose which spells they want to learn the most. This works better if their preexisting spells don't seem to have a preference to one school as it guarantees they at least have the natural ability to cast from that school. If they get the spell they want then that hints practice and desires affects which spell a sorcerer gets and it is not all about their natural proficiency. Pyrom explained.

What do you think has Maxwell so worked up? He seems more perturbed than usual. Do you recognize the women he is with? Pyrom projected into Zander's head.

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 08:15 PM
Clarence begins to thumb through the book. What is it my dear? I cannot hope to answer your question if you do not ask it. He gestures at the transmuter. Do not mind him, he is entitled to his opinion the same as you or me. A warm smile crosses his face as he tries to comfort the young woman, while at the same time trying to read a particular passage in his book.

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 08:20 PM
Dracarias scoffs at the group.
Magic is as magic does, and it comes in many forms. Would you call this magic?
He twirls his spear, then stabs upwards. A cone of electricity shoots out from the tip of the spear, bathing the camp in bright white light for a moment before fading out.

Hamste
2014-08-15, 08:43 PM
Pyrom pulls out his own morningstar. He mutters and gestures for a second before swinging his mace into the sky creating a cone of electricity that came off of the end of his Morningstar. The electricity looks bright but no light comes off it and it is entirely silent. The bits of electricity then coalesces to make the appearance of a giant spiky humanoid figure that bows before disintegrating.

What is the difference? Sure, mine is just an illusion but it is not like a cone of electricity is beyond the scope of spells. What is the difference between you and a sorcerer with a much more limited spell list but with a lot more spells? Sure some of your powers may be not currently explained in magic but once no magic was explained.

If it matters at all, I cast a silent image with a dc 17 to resist it. Just in case someone is watching or something.

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 08:46 PM
The difference is that mine wasn't magic. It is simply skill and technique. Anyone can learn it. I'm sure we all know the techniques for seeing the traces of magic. This technique doesn't register at all. So where is the line between what is and isn't magic?

In case it isn't obvious, he's referring to Detect Magic

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-15, 08:49 PM
The sudden appearance of lightning caused the camp to cry out it shock.

"Three Gods! What was that light?"

"Damn, is it gonna rain again?"

"No you blasted fool, it was that crazed Doronar over there!"

"By the Abyss man, are you trying to scare us to death?"

Were only some of the shouts that echoed through the night.

Justinius and Janette stared at Dracarius, jaws wide open. Maxwell stopped in his tracks, eyes wide open, the women, however, stayed calm. After a few moments Janette spoke

"Um, I'd call that magic, probably an evocation. This was a test right?"

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 09:03 PM
That is a very good question my friend, one that does merit further research. Remember that at one time anything that was not normal was considered magic, including the lighting that rains from the sky. Just because we currently do not have the ability to accurately define it does not mean it is not magical, we just simply don't know. Clarence goes back to thumbing through his book, Oh and if you could refrain from such grand displays of power when people are trying to settle down and sleep then many of the people here would appreciate it. He smiles and gives a small wink

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 09:03 PM
Dracarias smiles at the collegiate mages.
Nope. It was entirely without magic. Just like this.
He strikes the haft of his spear against the ground and a bolt of lightning leaps from the tip, remaining in a current reaching almost five feat from the tip. He tumbles through on of his exercises, striking forward with the elongated spear.

Initiate Shocking Shaft.
As a note: His spears have metal shafts, not wooden ones. And last round was Hatchling's Bolt

Hamste
2014-08-15, 09:09 PM
Pyrom managed to hold back his giggle from the evocation comment barely.

Of course it doesn't show up on detect magic, your first effect appeared to be an instantaneous effect. Besides, it is not like all magic detects on detect magic. My magic gear doesn't show up on it for example because of my spells. Also do you actually believe if you pick up a random person off the street they could learn it? That seems doubtful, not everyone could have the mental fortitude to focus on the training or the will to practice it. Even if they could that again does not preclude it from being a form of magic. Also again, electricity isn't exactly uncommon in magic, you can even buy magic weapons that use it. Pyrom said.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-15, 09:58 PM
"Hey keep it down out there. Some of us are trying to ..sleep!" Gorthax yells out towards the campfire. He turns back to Mal and finishes off his ale. "Only a fool bets against his bartender - either way you will lose in the end. Do you know something I don't ?" Gothax inquires absently.

r2d2go
2014-08-15, 10:11 PM
Well this is unfolding nicely... I was hoping to quietly contemplate, oh well.

Well, we can see you're quite the lightning evoker, then... So, Jannette was it? Were you ever in one of my classes? I'm a conjurer myself, you see... Always nice to see another friendly face around.

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 10:17 PM
Dracarias laughs again.
You lot don't get it, do you? Even people who have no magical gifts can learn these techniques. It isn't evocation, or any other kind of magic. And I have only practiced one kind of this art. I have seen others who can teleport themselves even through fields of anti-magic.

r2d2go
2014-08-15, 10:23 PM
Really! I've heard of such things, though they don't seem to be inherently magical in nature... Of course, there are all kinds of examples of magical aptitude without an inherent knack, though many seem to be racially based... So there's certainly precedent for that sort of thing. Have you been to the University researchers about this? Perhaps they've already considered it, heavens know I'm terrible at keeping track of these things, but... we could have whole new colleges dedicated to these things, if it could make magic or even psuedomagic available to all.

Yas392
2014-08-15, 10:25 PM
Xapham rushes to the origin of the sound, mindblade in his right hand glowing steady. Are we being attacked?

r2d2go
2014-08-15, 10:29 PM
Zander laughs at the warrior's alarm, though he quickly cuts it off, hoping he wasn't too rude. "No, we are fine. There was simply an enthusiastic demonstration of arcane capabilities by our friend here."

Realizing he was being dense, he quickly adds "Err... not arcane. Sorry."

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 10:35 PM
Yes, everything is well. But you do have impeccable timing as we were just having a discussion on seemingly magical abilities that were not actually magic, Clarence eyes your mindblade, Would you mind enlightening us on the origin of your ability if you can?

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-15, 11:09 PM
Xapham rushes into camp, straight past Maxwell who is still standing in awe.

You are positive you heard the rumbling well before the lightning appeared over the camp.

However, with the arrival of Xapham, Maxwell somewhat regains his composure. And begins to shout at the crowd.

"Alright people! Listen up. No more of this magic business in the camp!" He tried to sound imposing, but his voice cracked.

He continued anyway. "Listen we're down our scouts, and all I see you louts doing is hanging around. I want them found, and I want the found tonight!"

Everybody give me listen checks please

r2d2go
2014-08-15, 11:15 PM
Oh dear... I have a connection to the Spellpool left, should I use it? I could cast an Augury, if one of the people back at the University has taken that niche option and contributed, but Augury is unreliable at best and cryptic at worst.

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 11:20 PM
I did not prepare my Divination spell today, otherwise i would be glad to cast it to find them. He sighs And i rather dislike Augury,because for me cryptic would be an improvement....

Would you like us to reroll, or is this another time slip post for the Listen rolls we already made?

r2d2go
2014-08-15, 11:30 PM
Well, I might as well check...

Zander focuses, calling on the Spellpool at the university, searching for the spell.

Listen check if needed: [roll0]
I'm checking the spellpool for Augury.

Yas392
2014-08-15, 11:50 PM
Simmer down, Maxwell! There is no need for more sling fest. We do not need our problem to be more severe. Xapham did not dissipate his blade. There was a sound I caught during my meditative trance. And it echoed quite nearby the campsite. I suggest you prepare yourselves. His eyes wanders, searching for the ones responsible for the start of the rumbles.

Spot (Take 10) - 20
Readied action to hurl his mind blade if he spotted something hostile

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 11:53 PM
Dracarias focuses his mind, restoring the power he had expended.

Refreshing my maneuvers.

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 11:58 PM
Clarence puts away his book, and readies his sword and shield. Those who don't wish to fight should head to help protect the researchers, he motions to Justinius and Janette Do what you can to ensure their safety, we will deal with any threat.

r2d2go
2014-08-16, 12:04 AM
Indeed. Let's see what we're up against...

Scratch the Spellpool if I can, ready an action for Chained Nerveskitter on all allies. Move action to pull out a scroll of Ebon Eyes if it's dark enough to need it, otherwise pull out Faerie Fire.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-16, 12:17 AM
You can hear the rumbles that Xapham spoke of. At first, they were difficult to pick up over the noise of the campfire, but you can hear them, and they are getting louder.

Maxwell is quickly quieted by Xapham. He gives a quick glance to the women accompanying him, who returns his gaze with a slight glare, before speaking.

"Wha ... What's going on here?" The frustration and confusion was clearly evident in his voice.

Mal leaned over towards Gorthax, and spoke in a whisper.

"Looks like you called it, although it seems like he's sending you out tonight and not tomorrow!
He paused. "You asked earlier if I knew anything, and it just so happens I do. He paused and looked around. "Wait, why is everyone so tense?"

Justinius and Janette just nodded at Clarence. It was clear that they didn't know what was going on, but they knew what Clarence was asking. They began frantically calling out to the settlers, urges them to leave.

Zander reached into his scroll case and pulled out a Scroll of faerie fire.

Xapham scans the surrounding area, but can see nothing. the ground is starting to shake, ever so slightly.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-16, 12:24 AM
Gorthax wanders out of the 'tavern' to get a better listen about all the fussing. "Are you really should we should go out there tonight?" Gorthax asks. "Its dark" he states incredulously, waving his tankard at the night air . "We dunno what is delaying the scouts but it could still be hungry." he adds darkly and fixes Maxwell with a stare. He blinks twice after a short pause. "Now I'm not scared... but you guys with the puny arms should be thinking twice". He belches and shakes his head trying to drive away some flies buzzing his ears.

r2d2go
2014-08-16, 12:33 AM
Zander speaks in a low whisper, still ready to cast at a moment's notice. "We noticed, and we might not want to draw anything's attention..."

Ellowryn
2014-08-16, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately we might already have its attention. I can bring forth the light when we are ready, but i worry about attracting anything else. I do not suppose anybody knows of any place near here where we can move everyone that would be more... Looks across the open area defensible?

Hamste
2014-08-16, 08:34 AM
...why is everyone assuming we are being attacked? We are at the foot of a mountain and hear rumbling. Does that sound like combat to anyone? Sure it could be a hoard of monsters attacking but that sounds more like an avalanche to me. Then again, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference myself. Either way, we should get everyone away from the mountain, the scouts haven't come back and we came from the other direction so that all hints if there is an enemy they are in the mountains. If it is an attack I better get into position, if it is an avalanche just call out and I can make a call for everyone to leave. Pyrom said as he moved a fair distance from the fire. He then crouched down and blended into the shadows just in case there was a fight.

Taking 10 on hide for a 38. Using hide in plain sight. You have to love when even just taking 10 it requires a spot check of at least +18 and a roll of 20 to see me.

r2d2go
2014-08-16, 02:29 PM
Zander, seeing the truth in Pyrom's words, relaxes ever so slightly. "True... well, doesn't hurt to be prepared. If it is an avalanche, or an earthquake, there's still nothing detrimental to being ready. I'm not sure what exactly what it was, since I didn't hear it myself, and thus I am relying on Xapham's keen perception."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-16, 02:59 PM
The earth is now trembling. Malcundus' trailer creaks as it as sways back and forth. Several logs within the fires get dislodged and fall, causing sparks to fly upwards. Several of the settler grow silent. They stop and look around in confusion, despite Justinius and Janette urging them to move. The rumbling sound is now easily heard in the quiet. It is louder than before, closer. It seems even and paced. The sound is emanating from below.

After a few moments, it suddenly all stops. The shaking, the rumbling, everything. Everyone seems on edge.

Ellowryn
2014-08-16, 03:21 PM
Do we get a direction the noise was coming from?

Im going to give Pyrom a few moments to get away and then im going to remove my robe, giving me daylight as the spell with double range (120ft full daylight and then another 120ft of dim light)
and then a spot check try and see the source of the noise [roll0]

r2d2go
2014-08-16, 04:00 PM
...what in the absurd multitude of hells...

Switch readied action to Stone Shape.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-16, 04:05 PM
Gorthax stops talking and strains to hear what is going on. He slowly and quietly draws his weapon unsure exactly where to focus his attention. He stops moving and waits.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-16, 05:35 PM
There is a long eerie quiet. The settlers start to spread out, to see if any damage was down to the campsite. But before they can leave Maxwell begin to speak.

"You lot aren't going anywhere until I get volunteers to.." He didn't finish his sentence.

The earth suddenly started to shake violently, more intense than before. The lanterns on Malcundus' trailer fell and cracked upon the ground. Tents near the campfires collapsed inwards. Maxwell and several of the settlers fell over in alarm. Justinius and Janette began to holler out to the confused settlers trying to get them away from the fires.

[roll0]

Without warning, the ground near Dracarius burst open with a tremendous roar, revealing a sharp maw of teeth aiming right towards him.

Attack vs Flat-footed [roll1] against Dracarius

for [roll2] points of damage

They clamp onto his body, puncturing through his scales.

At the very same moment, the earth split open next to Gorthax, causing Maxwell to cry out in terror. A massive body, covered in sleek, grey, plate-like scales ascended from the earth, also bearing its teeth down on its prey.

attack vs flat-footed [roll3] against Gorthax

for [roll4] points of damage

They connect, ripping apart a piece of Gorthax's flesh.

Initiative Please in OOC, readied actions may be performed

Yas392
2014-08-16, 05:54 PM
Tch! The moment one of those gaping jaw rises up to snap the golden Doronar and the minotaur, Xapham's reaction time could not be better. His mind blade flies towards the enemy it intended for.

Trigger readied action.
Expends Psionic Focus
Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Psionic Shot - [roll2]
Critical Confirm (if threat) - [roll3]
Critical Damage - [roll4]

r2d2go
2014-08-16, 06:08 PM
Seeing his enemy, Zander lets the Stone Shape spell return to it's holding place in his mind, knowing it would do nothing against these foes. He begins to mutter the words for a different spell, and as the golden streaks of energy enhance the people around him, he speaks to those nearby in a calm, firm tone. "Bulettes. Anyone who's not a seasoned combattant should run. Now."

As soon as he can see that people are heeding his advice, he turns to the enemy. "They're big and tough, they can burrow, and they have good senses, but that's it. We can take them down."

Then, knowing he could dodge out of the way, he steps into the reach of the huge creature to provoke it into attacking him instead of his injured ally, letting out a string of taunts in a variety of languages.

"Your mother was a groundhog! You smell of elderberries! You eat elves!

Edit: Now that I've actually got a map...
Cast Haste, targeting Clarence, Gorthax, Dracarius and me (since that's all I can hit in a 30 foot area...)
Move into Y11 then Y10 then Z9 with a normal move action (should put me just within threat range without taking an AoO)

Hamste
2014-08-16, 06:54 PM
Hopefully, good senses meant they could see.

Do not attack the Bulette next to Dracarias if it appears to be not moving. Do not even approach it in an aggressive manner, if it is moving feel free to attack it. Can someone call that out just so others who I missed know. He telepathically sent out before forming an interesting pattern in his mind and willing it into existence on top of the Bulette. Hopefully, that would work on it.

Dc 20 to resist (They should be flat footed to me for the extra dc from cloaked casting) being fascinated. Avoiding having it on top of any one other than the Bulette. It needs sight for this to work and no more than [roll0] hd. It is also silent because I'm not a bard so they shouldn't get any bonus roll to know where I am. Also, hypnotic Pattern. Forgot to mention that :P

Yas392
2014-08-16, 07:15 PM
Move, Dracias! Xapham hollers out to the golden doronar. The cat dog person moves to Dracias to drag him out of the range of the snapping jaws so that he still have a chance to breath.

Move to X9
Grapple Dracias to get him out of reach (See OOC for rolls)

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-16, 08:27 PM
Xapham's psychic blade screeches across the battlefield, embedding itself deep within the bulette's eye. It reared back in pain, letting go of Dracarias, and emitting a terrific roar. Its blood ran down it's face. Enrages, it opened its one good eye to re-focus on its prey.

But suddenly, it saw the most mesmerizing string a patterns floating above its head. It stood still, the pain had numbed, and it continued to gaze at the hypnotic pattern. for the moment, it was docile.

The other bulette took no notice of his partner, and continued to subdue his prey.

Bite
-Attack [roll0]

-Damage [roll1]

Claw 1
-Attack [roll2]

-Damage [roll3]

Claw 2
-Attack [roll4]

-Damage [roll5]

The Bulette's teeth once again bit into Gorthax's flesh, and then brought its massive claw overhead, slashing his chest. It swung another claw at Gorthax, but it merely scratched the surface of his armor.

Vhaidara
2014-08-16, 08:48 PM
Dracarias roars in pain as the creature's mouth clamps down on his side. Xapham grabs him, and he spins back, then he continues moving backwards as he channels a charge into his spear and throws his spear at the other bullette.

Swift: Initiate Shocking Shaft (Burning Blade)
Move: To Z11. If a Tumble check is needed for any reason, it's a DC 15 [roll0]
Standard: Throw my spear at Enemy 2
Attack: [roll1]
Crit Confirmation: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] electricity
Crit Damage: [roll5] 12 of this is electricity

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-16, 09:15 PM
Gorthax reels from the onslaught. He shifts his weight and brings his weapon in a long arc into the side of the giant grey face. " RRRRRRR Die beast!" he spits angrily.

Swift action = change into martial spirit stance

Using Furious counter strike and delivering a 'Divine surge' maneuver.

Attack :[roll0] (+20 normal +3 counter strike)
Damage: [roll1] (+11 damage) (+3 damage - counter strike) + [roll2] = x

Damage pool empties and Gorthax is left at 30 hps (32 hps if the attack hits)

Ellowryn
2014-08-16, 09:38 PM
Clarence will step forward, moving to aid his hurt ally, Divine Power surging through him as his touch mends that which was torn asunder.. Cure Moderate Wounds, it will be okay my friend...

Moved to Z10 and then cast from my domain slot Cure Moderate wounds which heals Dracarias for [roll0]

r2d2go
2014-08-16, 09:56 PM
Hm... with one neutralized, I think the most prudent action would be to deal with the second. They are rather durable, so weakening them is unlikely to succeed... Scorching Ray.

Edit: 5 foot step back to Y10 first :smalleek: that was intended!
Scorching Ray against #1
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-16, 10:42 PM
With a magnificent slice, Gorthax swung his falchion upwards, cutting into the soft interior of the bulette which had struck him. It recoiled and roared, the blood dripped from the fresh cut.

Meanwhile, Zander launched his scorching rays. The first one connected on the bulette's shoulder, igniting the creature and searing its flesh. Taking advantage of the bulette's roar, he aimed his second ray into the mouth of the beast, incinerating the monster from the inside. It took a few steps back, shaking the earth slightly under its heavy stesp. It gurgled, coughed up more blood, and collapsed. It laid motionless on the ground.

Yas392
2014-08-16, 11:37 PM
After dragging Dracias out of the way and making sure all of its proximity, Xapham know that he would have to down this too before it can cause anymore harm, the magic can only hold it for so long. He focuses his mind to imbue his attack to match the devastation he had caused earlier and with a downward slash, he throws the mindblade.

Move action to regain psionic focus.
Concentration - [roll0]
Attack - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]
Psionic shot (if con succeeds) - [roll3]
Critical confirm - [roll4]
Critical Damage - [roll5]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-17, 12:20 AM
Pyrom, from the shadows, continued to weave the colorful patterns above the bulette. It stayed transfixed in place.

Xapham launched his mindblade towards the motionless bulette in an effort to confirm that it was dead. Unfortunately, it struck the heavy, armor like hide of the creature, dissipating harmlessly.

By now the settlers were in full panic. Between the roar of the monsters and the shaking earth, they couldn't stand to be within the area, and broke out into a run.

Previously frozen in place, Maxwell finally gathered the nerve to back away from the monsters.

[roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-08-17, 12:23 AM
Seeing the creature immobilized, Dracarias goes to retrieve his spear, muttering to the priest as he passes.
Thank you, good sir.

Ellowryn
2014-08-17, 12:29 AM
Of course, now let me tend to our other friend Clarance moves over to Gorthax and channeling more divine power lays his hands on him Cure Serious Wounds!

Cure Serious Wounds [roll0]

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 07:00 PM
Using Pyrom's telepathy to silently communicate, Zander relays a plan to to take out the bulette without further injury. Everyone get ready to attack. I'll provoke it, and the moment I do, everyone can start swinging - hopefully, by the time it reacts, it will be dead, and if not it should waste a few swings trying to hit me before I teleport out.

Once everyone's got an action readied, step forward in an obviously threatening matter. Maybe swing at it? :smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2014-08-17, 07:07 PM
Dracarias recovers his other spear, and then prepares to strike.

Readied Action to Attack
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]
Crit Damage: [roll4]

Yas392
2014-08-17, 07:19 PM
Xapham shakes his head, he should not oversee the one that was overwhelmed as it's life is already slowing ebbing away.. At the signal, he will strike once he prepared his attack on the enthralled using the time before the engagement.

Move to the side out of reach.
Readied action to throw mindblade.
Concentration - [roll0]
Attack - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]
Psionic Shot - [roll3]
Crit confirm - [roll4]
Crit Damage - [roll5]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-17, 07:27 PM
Gorthax moves in preparing to lead the attack.

Ellowryn
2014-08-17, 07:37 PM
Clarence will head to the other side, allow for the others to better flank it. When gorthax moves in, he will unleash more divine power.

Moved to other side of the creature, outside of AoO range and ready action to cast Searing Light when gorthax attacks

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 08:25 PM
Zander steps forward and attempts to smack the huge beast in the eye with his staff. Greetings.

Step forward and smack the thing with my staff after delaying to after its turn.
Since technically I get an attack... [roll0], [roll1] I see it's been rolled for me :smalltongue:

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-17, 08:35 PM
Dracarias, Gorthax and Zander all approached the fascinated beast, ready to finish it off. But out of the corner of its eye, it caught the glint of steel moving in. It shook off the hypnosis, and swung it's massive claw towards Zander.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit Confirm [roll2]
Cirt damage [roll3]

It connected, or at least it would have. Just before the claw struck the Emoc, he suddenly vanished and reappeared at its side. Zander then swung at the beast with his walking stick. A mighty blow considering Zander's size. But alas, it did nothing against the armor of the bulette.

At the signal, Dracarias and Xapham unleashed their attacks. Dracarias lodged his spear into the underbelly of the monster, puncturing its hide.

Xapham threw his mindblade at the bulette. His aim was true, and it struck the creature between its massive scales.

Everyone was now poised to strike. The beast was weakened, but it had yet to drop to the earth.

everyone delayed a turn. So everyone can act before the bulette.

[roll4]

Vhaidara
2014-08-17, 08:41 PM
And Dracarias, sped by his colleague's magic, delivers two blows in rapid succession.

Full Attack = 2 attacks at +12
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]+[roll3]
Crit Damage: [roll4]

Attack: [roll5]
Crit Confirm: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]+[roll8]
Crit Damage: [roll9]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-17, 08:58 PM
Dracarias strikes the bulette right between the plates of its hide, creating another wound upon the creature. However, as he moved to strike the beast again, it shifted from the pain, and Dracarias' spear glanced off its armor. The beast breathed heavily. It senses were dulled, but it still stood on all fours.

Yas392
2014-08-17, 09:00 PM
Likewise, Xapham sends two pulses of electricity at the beast. Feel the might of the silver dragon!

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Shock Damage - [roll2]
Crit Confirm - [roll3]
Crit Damage - [roll4]

Attack - [roll5]
Damage - [roll6]
Shock Damage - [roll7]
Crit Confirm - [roll8]
Crit Damage - [roll9]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-17, 09:13 PM
Xapham's bolts struck the creature's eye once more, adding additional agony to the bulette. It fell to the ground, unable to bear its wounds. Twitching slightly as the last of the electricity ran through its body.

After a brief moment. A small voice came from behind the victors.

"Umm, are they ... dead? The voice came from Maxwell. Then he coughed, and spoke again. This time purposefully deepening his voice.

"Ahem ... I mean, make sure they're dead!" He tried to stand tall.

Hamste
2014-08-17, 09:38 PM
Think there are any other attackers or can I come out of hiding? At least we killed and subdued them before they killed anyone. I imagine those things packed quite the punch when they attack. Pyrom sent out while remaining hidden.

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 09:39 PM
"Very manly, Maxwell. Let's clean up, shall we?"

Zander flicks his wrist to cast a cantrip, then thinks towards Pyrom. I think that's it, but you might want to hang around there awhile more. No sense in putting yourself in more danger than you need to, my friend.

"Luckily, bulettes, or landsharks for the less etymologically inclined, tend to hunt in packs of two or less, so the chance of another is unlikely. I'm not sure exactly how that rumbling could have been caused by creatures of even their size, but it is unlikely we will encounter more that are naturally driven.

"Actually... hm, maybe Maxwell has a point, for once. Did we actually finish them off? No sense in not being thorough... unless someone wants one alive for some reason? Now that they're not threatening my life, they seem like they'd make nice pets..."

Cast Prestidigitation to clean up debris, make things generally look less messy.

Yas392
2014-08-17, 10:15 PM
Well if they make nice pets, you should had had a spell to magically tame it. We are very lucky that we did not suffer any casualties. Xapham grows restless at their worries about safety. That could be arranged, mage. The half breed moves to coup de grace the downed animals. They are definitely dead now.

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 10:41 PM
Let me consult my notes on this region...

After flipping through a few pages, Zander's face lights up as his notes jog his memory, then turns to worry. It seems my evaluation of their capability to be pets is not unfound... Powerful Giant warlords sometimes use them as enforcers, though they let them out to hunt as a means of keeping them satisfied. Shrokor, a surprisingly cunning Hill Giant, is said to be strong enough... his center of command is further west, but he has a number of outposts which are commanded by his lieutenants. We should proceed with great caution.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-17, 10:55 PM
Xapham cut into the bulette's skull. It released one more gasp before all the air left its lungs.

The night was silent once more. Zander's spell cleaned up most of the guys and blood from the ground. The settlers who had scattered, turned to see the threat had gone. Sighs of relief were heard throughout the camp as the travelers moved back the the campfires, collecting the belongings they had left behind.

"Thank the gods for those men" Came a voice from the crowed.

"Indeed, that could have been much worse without them." Was one of the replies.

Just moments later, the sounds of clanking steel was heard. The guards stationed along the outskirts of camp all came rushing back. they stopped suddenly when they saw the bodies. They received a barrage of glares and muttered curses for their tardiness.

Maxwell brushed the dust of his posh travelling tunic and eyed the dead bulettes before speaking.

"Well, that settles it then. You six will find our missing scouts, and deal with these giants so we can move on to our destination." He said in a matter of fact tone. "Sophia! Write this down. These six gentlemen will be heading off to save our fellow explorers from fates unknown!" He said to the women in the red dress. She stared at him for a brief moment, before opening her ledger and pulling out a quill from her belt. It seemed like the quill needed no ink to write.

If it wasn't apparent already to the settlers, it was now. Maxwell always seemed keen on distributing orders.

Ellowryn
2014-08-17, 11:04 PM
First let me ensure that all are well in camp before we go wandering off Clarence declared before moving about the camp to see to any of the others And that is indeed disturbing news Zander, for if it was indeed the work of hill giants that sent these beasts upon us we can be sure that they will not be far behind once they realize that they are gone.

Taking 10 on Heal checks on anybody in camp for a total of 18

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 11:05 PM
Hm. While I'm fairly competent at combat, I'm here for research, not assassinating pre-existing leaders of the continent. Perhaps you could arrange for compensation, sir Maxwell? If not in gold, there are a number of magical items that might help me and the group before you.

Zander speaks in a friendly but obviously forced tone, not bothering to look up from his records.

A few more Knowledge (Local) rolls, for assorted things:
The nearest lieutenant: [roll0]
Assorted other nearby lieutenants: [roll1]
Assorted other nearby threats: [roll2]
Assorted other nearby important figures: [roll3]
Assorted other nearby important places: [roll4]
The giant warlord: [roll5]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-17, 11:08 PM
Gorthax catches his breath and cleans the blood off his weapon. "Thanks for the help Maxwell" he says. He tries not to roll his eyes. "Isn't it likely that scouts are in there?" he asks pointing to the stomach of one of the giant beasts.

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 11:12 PM
Hm. Should we check? My cantrip lasts for an hour, so cleaning up shouldn't be hard, if I can't outright look around with it... and I don't think anyone minds if we cut open these beasts.

Then, seeing Clarence preform general first aid, Zander smiles. Always nice to see people helping... I think we'll all make a good team.

Use Prestidigitation to check if possible, otherwise just keep things clean.

Pyrom, you might want to keep an eye on this man's thoughts. I suspect he will hide his wealth to pay us less, and if he becomes aware his mind is being read he might be practiced in deceiving thought analysis.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-17, 11:48 PM
Maxwell's face turns red.

"wha- What? He yelled, obviously angered by Zander's request for compensation. What is it with you mages and compensation! It's the same with that 'ambassador'! No wonder nothing gets done around here! No one's willing to do- Maxwell stopped short in the middle of his sentence. The women in red came forward, stepping just ahead of Maxwell. Sophia, it seemed like her name was. She spoke with a cool, even voice.

Of course we can provide compensation for your efforts. Such an assignment is well beyond what was expected of you. What matters most is progress. Clearing a route for us to travel is the number one priority. Save the scouts if you wish. But they are a secondary concern." Her face remained calm throughout her speech, with nary a inflection in her tone.

"Of course," she continued, "you will receive your payment after this task is complete. We will not come forth with payment if there is no guarantee of success." She finished flatly.

She said nothing else, but gazed at the group with her dark green eyes.

r2d2go
2014-08-17, 11:56 PM
I see. Of course, it would be a tragedy if a lack of funds and equipment led to our failure, and the condemnation of this fine group of settlers... I'd be happy to negotiate something with you, perhaps in a more private setting?

Zander politely closes his book, taking mental note of what he knew as to better prepare his allies. Of course, not knowing exactly which people were allies, he refrained from immediately speaking, thinking a message to Pyrom instead.

It seems this Sophia is more important to keep an eye on. Can you follow us? I figured your skills at stealth and the, if I remember correctly, 60 foot range of Detect Thoughts and 120 foot range of your telepathy should be enough to justify getting her guard down in private.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-18, 12:25 AM
"Oh?" Sophia grinned, the first sign of emotion that registered on the women's face. Something about it didn't seem right. "I think the greater tragedy would be those poor souls who couldn't make it back. All because of some miserly emoc, who couldn't be bothered to save them. I wonder how their families would feel knowing that something could have been done to prevent their loved ones' untimely demise? It would certainly be the talk of Lorethos. Everyone across the city would know of Zander Kol, the indifferent mage who let his fellow explorers die. Who would ever wish to be associated with such a heartless man?" Her voice became wicked.

Her faced relaxed again. "My offer still stands, mage. Even if you do not wish to take us up on the offer, perhaps your friends might. You will all receive compensation for your work. But do not expect me to invest in you until I've seen the results from this endeavor."

r2d2go
2014-08-18, 12:37 AM
Zander's face freezes as she talks... and then he bursts out laughing. Really? I don't believe I ever said that I would refuse, but I seem to recall a certain someone calling saving the lives of good men and women a "secondary concern". Such a poor argument would never pass in even one of my elementary logic classes, and it certainly won't do here. I can respect your analysis, and that you would not want to waste money in a fruitless investment, but surely you can see that we are not mere explorers. And what is an investment if not a risk taken with hopes of greater returns? I can see that even your writing utensils have a measure of magic in them, while this Maxwell is wearing quite the posh attire. Surely you can spare some gold to both help secure your investment and the livelihood of the travelers here.

Zander relaxes, and then smiles kindly, seeming genuine. I understand wanting to protect what assets you have, but you must understand, we are what could be called adventurers. We thrive on doing noble deeds, but at the same time we thrive when compensated monetarily. Every great hero has a veritable horde of equipment at his fingertips, and in a similar manner the more we have, the more we can do.

But, realizing he may simply be aggravating the fine young lady, Zander steps down (as much as a three foot emoc can). But again, I understand your position. However, I would request a formal agreement nonetheless. We must all rest for the night to fully recover - perhaps the we could come to some acceptable contract? Preferably, again, in private, as to not disturb the rest of the camp's sleep?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-18, 01:02 AM
"Oh ya. I'm SURE we can come to an equatable agreement. I do intend on going after the scouts. " Gorthax makes eye contact and holds it with Sofia and gives her a knowing smile. Maintaining eye contact with her, he raises his falchion over head and slams it into the stomach of one of the fallen beasts. He raises the blade over and over as he hacks into its belly - blood splashing everywhere.

"I'd hate to have my reputation ruined...what would people think? I would be SO embarrassing....People would stop inviting me to all the masquerade balls" he says sarcastically.

Gorthax laughs. He licks some blood off the edge of his blade and then continues hacking.

OOC: Intimidate

Not really directed at anyone in particular nor trying to effect anyone.

Intimidate : [roll0]

Yas392
2014-08-18, 01:34 AM
At the minotaur implication, his stomach growls as he gazes dreamily on the prey that they killed. But he snaps his head up when he hears the subuccus, Sophia, blackmailing his client. He finds a flaw in her argument. Oh? Perhaps you know something about those poor souls? It is important if we are to search for them. He masks his true expression with a natural smile. That woman is very unnatural, I will need to keep a watchful eye on her. He pretends to mull over her offer and nods, hiding the fact that he is reading her. Your offer is good but I got to agree with Zander here. We need one night to consider it. Oh, your expression and voice are really charming by the way.

Sense Motive - [roll0]

Hamste
2014-08-18, 07:31 AM
100 feet of telepathy, I will detect magic first and see where that gets me. I might go into detect thoughts but I want to see if she has a lot of spells up first and how many magic items she has. Even if I do use detect thoughts, I might still not actually try to read her mind and instead just detect her intelligence. Reading people's minds seems kind of invasive. Also do me a favor, if you see a light approaching and I don't seems to notice give me a mental shout of warning. Pyrom sent Zander. He then moved to within 60 ft of the women and used his detect magic spell like.

Pyrom uses one of his daily detect magic uses (This should cover both Maxwell and the Women). Seeing it is a spell-like it has no somantic or vocal component. I will of course be rolling my spell craft to figure out the school of each aura so if I'm not on feel free to roll them for me (+16 on spell craft, I auto succeed on identifying the schools of first level spells and items with cl 2 or less). If there is actual cover from tents or rubble with in 60 ft that I can use with hiding I will use that as well with my HiPS.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-18, 04:10 PM
Clarence moved about the settlers, there were no injuries that required more that a simple cleaning. Just a few scrapes from falling over when the bulettes alarmed everyone. The settlers thanked Clarence for his assistance and concern. With his help, everyone managed to reclaim their belongings without too much confusion.

The blood from the bulettes splattered all over Maxwell's face. His skin turned white, and he slowly backed away from Gothax. Sophia gave a queer look to Gorthax, but otherwise remained in place. The repeated slices from Gorthax's blade and the squishing sounds of the flesh and blood plopping on the ground provoked gags from the remaining settlers around the camp. They left quickly as to avoid losing their dinner.

Oddly enough, you can not detect any magic upon the women, even the quill she holds does not register as magical. Although your friends' gear clearly registers as such. Maxwell seems to have a ring which carries a faint abjuration aura.

Maxwell is clearly nervous. Even before Gorthax began hacking away at the corpse. He seemed to clam up when Sophia began to speak. You can surmise that there is a history between them, but more than that it is hard to say.

Sophia on the other hand, seems to only reveal her emotions in brief intervals when she speaks. Otherwise, she maintains an excellent poker face. You can not quite tell what she's thinking.

After a brief moment of staring at Gorthax, she turned to Xapham and smiled. "Thank you." She said in response to the compliment. "But alas, I know nothing about the scouts, other than their names. Roric, Davius, Marcus and Ciel." She turned towards Zander. "And I can see no flaw my argument, mage. True, I am a hypocrite, but that won't stop me from using their deaths to the effect I described." She yawned. "But I can see that won't be necessary. And I am quite familiar with adventurers and their methods, and it seems that our two parties are speaking in private, as you seem keen on privacy." She motions around the campfires. They were still burning, but the settlers had left. The air became colder as the fires died. "I can write up a contract now. I do so love working with them. But I would prefer to get this out of the way as soon as possible, as I do not wish to delay things any longer with lengthy negotiations. And of course, Maxwell here will need to sign it, as he is the head of Auri Maraxi. But I'm sure if the terms are good he'll agree to it. " Maxwell wiped the blood off his face with a handkerchief and shook his head. He coughed and straightened his body.

"Ahem, of course. I don't like it, but if we gotta give them something to keep things moving then so be it. But it better be fair. I ain't giving them something for nothing." Maxwell seemed to be back to his old self.

The wind picked up slightly, sending a chill down everyone's spine. The sun had gone down, and it was dark beyond the light of the campfires.

Hamste
2014-08-18, 04:30 PM
She appears to be invisible to detect magic, my guess would be a non-detection spell. It could be Nystul's Magic Aura as well but that seems like an odd choice. Maxwell has a faint aura of Abjuration on his ring. I will try to detect thoughts but there is no point in me doing so against her as there is a good chance she would resist it. I can still try Maxwell however, though the ring might make him immune to it. In around 20 seconds ask a question that you are wondering about the women that you think Maxwell will know and I can try to read his mind. If he is immune to it, I won't know his intelligence and I will warn you so you don't tip your hand. If he is not immune then I will remain silent. Just remember, if we get caught you were the one who suggested all this.

Casting a silent Detect thoughts. The actual reading of the mind is dependent on whether or not it shows up the intelligence of either Maxwell or the Lady.

r2d2go
2014-08-18, 05:45 PM
Of course, I would never implicate you in one of my plots, Pyrom... I'll start talking about such things once you give the go. But I don't think this will be the last we see of Sophia, regardless of what we find here. Clearly, Maxwell isn't the one truly in charge. I'm going to use a few more obscure divinations to keep tabs on this place for a week or so, which should help, just in case.

On a similar note, if you could tell Clarence that he might want to prepare several Detect Evil spells tomorrow, that would be wonderful... Nondetection might ward the user, but unless she's got the spellcasting of a lower archmage, we'll have a shot. And if she is that powerful... I suppose we're better off not prying.

Call Enduring Scrutiny from the spellpool, direct Prestidigitation towards Maxwell to clean him up.

Ah, my apologies for my friend's... enthusiasm, Maxwell. Let me help you with that.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-18, 06:11 PM
Gorthax cleans himself off as best he can on the grass. "I'll be back in a few minutes" he says to no one in particular. He returns to the Tavern and looks for Mal.

"Mal, where the hell are you?" he calls out.

Gorthax is done antagonizing the scary lady

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-19, 01:38 PM
It was an easy task for Zander to clean Maxwell using prestidigitation. For his efforts Maxwell tanked the mage curtly. barely managing a gruff "thanks".

Sophia started to pen something in her massive ledger. Her hand moved quickly, elegantly writing the words down upon the page.

Gorthax moved closer to Malcundus' trailer. A few moments after his shout, the trailer window opened, just a crack, but it opened nonetheless. A whisper came through the gap.

"Damn it man, we were asleep. Or at least trying. We're a bit on edge seeing as how we could have been eaten tonight. What do you want? And try to keep it down!" The voice was clearly Mal's.

Meanwhile, Sophia tore a the page from her book. It came out perfectly straight, with no rough edges. She spoke.

"There. This should do for now." She handed to page over to Zander, who was the closest. It seemed to be a contract of some sort. Although it was a short contract. It was, however, concise and to the point.

"Auri Maraxi hereby offers a reward equaling a lump sum of eighteen thousand gold in Republic Coin to the party who secures passage through the valley of the the Olocor mountain range. In order for passage to be considered secure, said party must eliminate or disperse any threats along the path through the valley, including, but not limited to, the giants infesting the area and their leader. Said party may also keep whatever valuables they gain from fallen enemies of Auri Maraxi. Auri Maraxi is not responsible for any casualties, deaths or injuries that may occur on this mission. Said party understands that this mission has the high potential for such dangers.

Payment will be delivered promptly upon the caravan has successfully navigating the area unmolested by the dangers that were previously present. Said payment will be in coin or by items of notable value. Including magical apparatuses and/or artwork or precious gems. Said party is free to request a specific reward(s), provided they all agree on the reward(s), and that the total sum value of the requested reward(s) is not greater than eighteen thousand gold in Republic Coin.

Said party members will sign beneath here.

-
-
-
-
-
-

Requested Items may be written beneath here

This contract has been approved by.

-
-Sophia Vol, Head consultant and financial adviser to Auri Maraxi

"Take your time, but I'd rather get this done tonight. As you can see it is a simple contract. If there are any questions please let me know."

r2d2go
2014-08-19, 05:07 PM
Seems equitable to me, Sophia. You have my thanks for being so accommodating.

Zander reads through the short contract, then takes out his own pen. If these terms are acceptable, let's all sign, shall we?

Then, he glances at Maxwell, as if he suddenly remembered something. He takes out one of his books, then looks apologetically at those before him. Apologies, Maxwell, I seemed to have forgotten something. There was something in my agreement with the University that mentioned you... may I speak with you for a moment? I'll be back to sign once I sort things out. He passes the pen to Dracarius before casually walking to the side, keeping to himself but gently nudging Maxwell in the same direction with his prestidigitation.

If needed:
Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]
Sense Motive: [roll2]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-19, 07:48 PM
Gorthax is taken aback. "one thousand apologies Mal - Didn't realize how late it was." he whispers back. "Before the excitement tonight you mentioned that you might know something about what could be going on. Can you give me any more details or was it just that there might be giants in the area?"

He rifles through his bag and pulls out a bottle of fine elvish wine and passes it through the window.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-20, 02:43 PM
Malcundus sighed. Ah well, it's nothing, don't worry yourself." Mal graciously accepted the wine. "And I didn't know anything about the giants or overgrown lizards until tonight, but I got some info on one of the scouts." He paused. "Marcus. He's the reason I was so keen on making a bet earlier. He's a decent sneak, but a notorious coward. I traded him an invisibility potion not too long before we left Lorethos. My guess was he up and ran as soon as the real danger reared its head. If he's not back yet, then you can be damn sure he found a place to hide.

Meanwhile Zander took Maxwell aside.

As Zander brought Maxwell aside, he could clearly see the suspicion and annoyance registering in Sophia's eyes. It was not hostile by any means, but she was watching the mage.

Maxwell seemed annoyed that there were even more details he didn't know about, and this was confirmed when he said...

"Alright Zander, what this about the damn University?" Maxwell spoke in an agitated voice.

r2d2go
2014-08-20, 05:17 PM
Oh, nothing too serious, don't worry. I'm a researcher for the University at Lorethos, and I have a contract with them. They mentioned that a Maxwell, presumably you, had some sort of leadership position? I was simply wondering what Sophia's presence, and the fact that it was her contract, had on that relation. On that note, what is your relation to Sophia? Apologies for this, it's just that I've had to deal with issues in contracts before and I'd like to clear everything up. Get it out of your hair ahead of time, you know. Zander smiles, speaking with a friendly tone to placate Maxwell (and, though he intentionally moved out of earshot, perhaps any eavesdroppers as well).
I figured rolls would carry since it's all one big thing, but if you want more...
[roll0] - Bluff
[roll1] - Diplomacy
[roll2] - Sense Motive
Edit: Ugh those were awful...

Pyrom, do you need me to keep him distracted until a recast kicks in?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-21, 12:23 AM
"Ah! Very interesting. Thank you for the tip. Try to get some sleep my friend." Gorthax says. He gives Mal a mock salute and turns to leave and then suddenly remembers something. "um this Marcus guy, what race is he?"

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-21, 01:51 PM
"He's human far as I could tell. Dark hair, dark eyes... Wouldn't know what to call his skin color. I can really only differentiate blues, blacks and grays y'know." Mal replied. "But if he pulls a knife out on you, well, that'd be something he'd do. I wish you the best of luck. You come back alive, okay?" Mal was unusually serious.

Maxwell seems to be successfully thwarting your attempts to read his thoughts. But you don't think he's noticed.

"Oh, well she's just here to handle all the paper work really. A leader like me can't be bogged down by all that stuff. I hired her few weeks back, before we got the idea for this expedition. She brokered the deal to get us all here, so you'd better be thankful for that! She knows what she's doing so I trust her. And that's that." The emoc ended curtly. It was unclear to Zander whether or not the entrepreneur was lying or not.

Hamste
2014-08-21, 02:28 PM
Didn't get anything. We know he is not immune as I could detect his intelligence so he probably resisted it. That means he probably knows something was used on him, thankfully he doesn't know what. If he brings it up you can pass it off as magic giants or some other random threat. Just keep an eye out to see if anything odd happens with her, if you are really that suspicious you can try your own detect thoughts tomorrow. Anyways, good night I'm off to establish an Alibi. Feel free to find me and say if you find anything interesting. With that internally said Pyrom scurried off somewhere else to talk to some other people on the other side of the camp.

Sneaking off, again taking 10 on both move silently and hide. Seeing it wasn't required when I moved to follow I assume it isn't needed now.

r2d2go
2014-08-21, 06:22 PM
Alright, good luck, my friend. I'll finish up here.

Ah, I see. Alright, well, I'll just put "financial consultant" here, then... And that's that! Thank you kindly for your time.

Zander smiles and walks back to Sophia, muttering to himself and making gestures with pen in hand as he goes. Once he reaches the group, he speaks jovially. "Minor reports and such, all settled now. If everyone else is done, I'll sign?" He picks up the pen and signs with a slight flourish.

The moment I gain line of sight from within 45 feet, cast Enduring Scrutiny (that's what the muttering and gestures really are), assuming the "emphatic connection" described is one-way. The trigger is whenever she alters her form or appearance with the malicious intent of disguising herself (you get what I mean :smalltongue:).

Yas392
2014-08-21, 06:46 PM
The Zora follows the mage closely, intending to ensure diplomatic immunity when the mage emoc converses with the emoc. He determines to keep an eye on her to see if she makes any mistakes on revealing her vulnerabilities. The expression she shows conclude that Maxwell has a part in her life and Maxwell's statement indicates an amount faith he put onto the woman. Trust. This certainly warrants more investigation. He does not flinch, his piercing eyes trying to decipher the truth. This woman is feisty but it would not be wise to cross the Zoras. The Zoras has links to the University, Government and other important factions. If she tries to use any vile sorcery or transform, she will be given a warning shot or he could consult the mage for a sending spell to report this incident to the University.

Sense Motive - [roll0]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-21, 11:37 PM
By your best judgment, it seems as though her suspicion of Zander hasn't waned.

Nothing seems amiss with your spell

Pyrom slipped off into the darkness, towards the tents of the settlers. No one seemed to notice the dark figure as he disappeared into the night.

Meanwhile, Sophia addressed Zander. "So far, master mage, you have been the only one to sign. You may take it with you to collect the signatures you need. Once your done, I'm sure Maxwell will sign the contract." She paused, and looked at Maxwell as he was returning for a brief moment, as if checking something. Maxwell did not return the look. "And if you happen to be in need of ink, you may use that pen of mine. But do be so kind as to return when you're done." She finished with her customary calmness.

"Yes, yes, all of that good stuff." Maxwell. "Now I guess we're going to have to work out the logistics. You'll find me in my pavilion. Excuse us." He turned and walked briskly away. Sophia bowed slightly, then turned to follow Maxwell, leaving Zander holding the contract and pen.

r2d2go
2014-08-22, 06:22 PM
Hm, alright, if everyone could sign? Zander passes the contract, then begins walking to his sleeping quarters. I think I'm going to call it a night, must regain those spells you know. Sleep well, everyone.

Cast Detect Magic (emoc SLA)

Zander passes his own quill to the group, then moves towards Pyrom to get him as well. Looks like the document's free of magic, though the pen's definitely not. I'd use my quill to sign. Anything else you need?

Ellowryn
2014-08-22, 08:58 PM
Satisfied that everyone is alright Clarence moves to the group.

Well, if our magewrights seem to think that this is safe i will sign as well, with Zanders quill. Also are we going to search the bodies for the missing scouts tonight, or wait till morning?

Signs his name when it is his turn

I agree with Zander, a good night sleep will do us all good, as we now seem to have a busy day ahead of us. If there are no other pressing matters then i will say goodnight to you all.

r2d2go
2014-08-22, 09:02 PM
Before Zander goes off, he mentions "I'll search the bodies, maybe with some magical assistance, but first I need to get Pyrom. I suppose sleep can wait...

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-22, 10:23 PM
Gorthax wanders back and signs the contract with an annoyed sigh. He was glad to be spared the haggling. He flops down in his usual sleeping spot and stares up at the stars. He tries to count them all before losing consciousness to the ale and sleep.

"46... 47....49..50...51...51..51..."

Hamste
2014-08-22, 10:34 PM
So you see anything interesting in the contract? Also is that her pen? I take it you checked it out as soon as you got it off her person? What school did it give off? If she owned it for awhile and you are really that suspicious we could get a good amount of information from it about her. Keep people from interrupting me for for awhile, say I'm reading it carefully. Pyrom mentally said. He turned his back towards the camp as if to get better reading of the contract to cover the quill. He checked to make sure he saw no one with in thirty feet of him. Assuming he saw no one he then activated his gloves. A slight whirring noise happens while the quill glows for a second before returning to normal.

Hide check if I need to roll that to hide the glow [roll0] and spot to see anyone who may be nearby [roll1]

Hamste
2014-08-23, 02:33 PM
Well, she is a human female aged 26. She is Lawful Evil. Now remember this though, just because someone is evil doesn't mean they are breaking the law where as we have broken the law. You now know there is reason to be suspicious but remember she hasn't done anything wrong yet so try not to get yourself into too much trouble. Now I will be using your pen to sign this not this one as we still don't know if there are any side effects, I don't see anything wrong with this unless she wants to call in a minor threat to stiff us out of the gold but that would be going a bit far. We will also have to deal with the cold and dangerous paths as well according to this as those are threats. The cold we can pass off as everyone is ready for that and it isn't a credible threat but we have to make sure people are not going to die from falling ice, rocks or avalanches. Pyrom mentally said after he finished checking the quill.

r2d2go
2014-08-23, 02:39 PM
Ah, thank you my friend. The pen is of Universal magic, by the way... but that doesn't mean it's safe. Here's the contract - once that's finished I'm off to check the bulettes, then to sleep. Get my spells back, you know.

Vhaidara
2014-08-23, 04:14 PM
Dracarias looks over the contract, signs it, and heads to bed.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-23, 05:04 PM
Clarence was waiting for Zander when he got back to the bulettes' corpses. They were intending to check to see if anyone had fallen victim to the beasts prior to them assaulting the camp. With Zander's knowledge of the beasts, and Clarence's surgical skill, it was a simple task of cutting the underbelly of the monsters to gain insight on their previous meals. While Clarence performed the gruesome task, Zander used his magic to keep both the priest, and the mage clean, all the while looking for any information.

After a while, they found bits and pieces of flesh, limbs and organs residing within the creatures' stomachs. Clarence could identify them as humanoid, most likely human. Although all together, Clarence determined there was only enough remains for one victim.

r2d2go
2014-08-23, 05:08 PM
It looks like there was only one victim. We'll have to discuss this tomorrow morning, though, I'm exhausted... I'll see you all tomorrow.

Zander walks back to his quarters, determined to finally get a good night's sleep.

Ellowryn
2014-08-23, 05:59 PM
Thank you my friend, i shall perform a rudimentary funeral right for this poor soul before turning in for tonight as well. Clarence begins searching through his pack. Huh, guess i must have left my shovel at home, i shall have to inquire about one. And he heads off towards the supply tents.

Once he finishes with the rites and burial he heads off to be for the night.

Can't believe i don't have a shovel in my pack, could have sworn it was on the sheet, anyways assuming there is a shovel to be had i will bury the body and perform some last rights, while cleansing the area to prevent possible undeath or attack by scavangers

Yas392
2014-08-23, 10:16 PM
Hmm, I will not use the possessions of that woman. May I use yours, mage? He borrows a mundane quill and signs it. His stomach growls even louder as he watches Clarence and Zander eviscerate the body. Dinner! He sneaks one of the huge parts of the Bullete to feed himself before Clarence buries them. He heats the meat and then munches on it savagely. Burping loudly, he retires himself for the night.

He draws a line below and added an additional crude imitation of her writing as a signature "Angry noble woman and her cute emoc."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-24, 02:54 PM
Clarence put to rest the poor victim's remains, and returned to his tent for the evening. After his meal, Xapham too, rested for the night.

The night passed without any more incidents. There was no sun in the morning. The sky was covered by a thick blanket of grey clouds. The anxiety was almost palpable among the settlers. The caravan began to decreases the parameter of the campgrounds, re-staking tents closer together. At breakfast, the party was approached by Sophia and Maxwell.

"Good morning gentlemen." Her attire had not seemed to have changed from the night before. "I assume you have all agreed to the terms?" She takes the contract and her quill back. She smiles slightly, after reading over Xapham's comment. Everything seems to be in order, sir. You may sign when ready." She passed the contract and pen over to Maxwell.

"Yeah, yeah. Just do this quickly, okay?" Maxwell, quickly signed his name to the bottem of the sheet, handing the paper back to Sophia. He turned and left.

"When the scouts set off, they went northeast of the camp. If you walk a mile or two, you should see the entrance to the valley we were originally planning to take. Best of luck to you gentlemen, now I must return to my work." She gave a slight bow before heading off after Maxwell.

The party finished the rest of their modest breakfast.

If you want to head out to the valley, just say so OOC, unless there is something you want to do before you leave. Once I get like 3 people to say, "Let's go", I'll update the IC.

r2d2go
2014-08-24, 04:01 PM
Ah, good morning my friends! Slept well, I hope? If you need me, I'll be buried in a book or three, so don't be offended if I don't respond after calling my name once or twice...

Zander begins to read, book in hand, making gestures and muttering now and then, drawing diagrams into the dirt with Prestidigitation.

Enduring Scrutiny, this time if Sophia speaks to anyone outside of the settler group that she knows at the time of casting, with malicious intent, or if she does anything to harm or control the settling group, with malicious intent.

After breakfast and a good hour of reading and drawing, Zander closes his book and jumps to his feet. Alright then, let's be off. It seemed there was only one victim of the Bulette, so time is of essence to save the other and clear the way for our friends here.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-24, 05:15 PM
The party started to hike north east. Grim nods from the settlers were given as if to say "good luck". After an hour of walking over dark green hills, the troupe stopped at the base of the enormous mountain range. The mountains towered above the group, black and menacing, as if serving as a warning as to what was beyond.

The party saw a gap in the mountains. A serene valley, weaving between the stone giants. The party pressed on.

The party ventured into the valley, proceeding north for another four miles. By now it was noon, although there was no mundane way to tell. The dull light from the sky coupled with the chill put a damper of the valley's natural splendor. The party was stopped at a split in the valley. There was a path leading west and a path leading east. From both directions, a column of black smoke could be seen rising into the sky way in the distance, although the source was not visible. The pillar of smoke coming from the west was far larger than the east, however.

You made the spot check. There is to be a small path that leads up the mountains path directly ahead of the party.

r2d2go
2014-08-24, 06:18 PM
My notes say that this is essentially the only way through, passing by a tower called the "stone watcher", making our presence pretty clear. We might be able to sneak by, but there's supposedly tunnels for moving in between sections. Those might make it both easier to move undetected and get ourselves to our main objective faster. I'm going to spend some time looking for them, before we do anything else, unless someone's already noticed something?

Search: [roll0]

If that doesn't work, then take 10.

Ellowryn
2014-08-24, 06:52 PM
Hrm, it appears that there is a small mostly unused path up the mountain in front of us. Perhaps we could use this to circumvent any issues we might face going the other ways?

He pauses to point he path out to everyone.

Has anybody by chance seen any signs of our scouts going by here?

r2d2go
2014-08-24, 07:01 PM
Perhaps it leads to one of the tunnels noted... We ought to at the very least examine it further. Pyrom, are you taking point? I wouldn't want to assume, but you are the most stealthy.

Hamste
2014-08-24, 07:08 PM
Hmmm, if it isn't brightly lit I can do some pretty nasty stuff to the minds of those watching from the tower. I can also help sneak us into the tower if we need to as well. Also sure, I will take point. Follow a good distance away. This would have been better for me at night but I guess I will just have to put up with hiding behind rocks. Pyrom said mentally. He waited a second in case someone had anything to say before he went slightly off the path to help hide himself and moved along.

[roll0] hide and [roll1] spot. Feel free to roll move silently and listen if needed.

r2d2go
2014-08-24, 07:30 PM
This'll be interesting... I'll wait a minute before following, then.

Zander, as stated, waits a minute, then follows.

Yas392
2014-08-24, 07:37 PM
Xapham takes a breathe and acts as a scout, searching for tracks of the scouts, unseen ambushers and other clues. He takes note that it is best to have a weapon at all time as he creeps to investigate the smoke.

Taking 10
Spot - 20
Listen - 20
Hide - 20
Move Silently - 20
Search - 10
Survival - 12
Readied action to throw mindblade if there is something amidst.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-24, 10:23 PM
Gorthax waits patiently and gives a big yawn. He glances around in disinterest. He gives Pyrom a half minute head start before heading down the central path. "I hope we run into more of those giant flesh eating things. Those were fun" he says quietly.

r2d2go
2014-08-25, 12:05 AM
Slow down there, Gorthax. If they have two, they could very well have more, so you might get that wish, or bigger, but you'll need to keep your head on your shoulders to fight them.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-25, 12:21 AM
"I have a thick head and broad shoulders" Gorthax notes with a wicked smile.

r2d2go
2014-08-25, 12:41 AM
Zander chuckles quietly, and fires back "All the bigger target for a swinging axe!" However, he doesn't disturb Gorthax further as he follows after Pyrom, merely grinning and stating "In any case, be sure not to outpace Pyrom. He has to slow down if he's checking things, and he's almost invisible if he tries. Your broad shoulder might bump him into a trap he's stepping over."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-25, 04:02 PM
The shadowy Emoc creeped up the mountain path, ducking behind rocks, and looking out for trouble. On his way up, he found no signs of danger. The ascent had not given him any better vantage point over the smoke stacks either. Prom reached the end of the path, above him he noticed a ledge. Perhaps he could climb the rocks to get there, but it was otherwise out of reach of even a giant.

r2d2go
2014-08-25, 09:04 PM
Zander moves carefully, trusting that Pyrom would point out any traps but still trying his best to be silent, staying at what he knows should match Pyrom's careful pace. He keeps mental probes out in case he gets within Pyrom's telepathy range so that they can communicate soundlessly.

Spot: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]

If I find Pyrom: Find anything? Is there anything to be concerned about?

Hamste
2014-08-25, 09:26 PM
I don't see anything here. It didn't even let me see the sources of the smoke any better. It might just be a dead end. There is a ledge which might give a better view but I'm not even going to try climbing it. Does someone want to try it? Pyrom thought back.

r2d2go
2014-08-25, 10:44 PM
I've got Fly prepared, which would work. Casting it on me, not so much, but if I cast it on, say, Gorthax, then he can probably carry everyone.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-25, 11:14 PM
As the party follows behind Pyrom, Xapham slinks off to the East.

Heading East, Xapham looked to the ground for any signs of a struggle, or anything that would indicate the scouts through here. Along the ground he finds nothing, but he spies a hill further in the distance, around a bend that would put him out of sight of his party. It might give him a better vantage point.

r2d2go
2014-08-26, 04:18 PM
Zander waits for Xapham to return, then walks over to Gorthax, using Pyrom's telepathy to communicate. There's a ledge over there, but it doesn't look particularly safe. I'm going to cast Fly on you, then Enlarge Person, so you can carry us all up.

Cast Fly, then Enlarge Person once he's hovering outside.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-26, 04:32 PM
Xapham returned from scouting. Zander noted this, and proceeded to bestow magical flight upon Gorthax. With a wave of his hands, and a few magical words, the Maltora was hovering above the ground. Next, Zander used his magic to enlarge the already bulky Gorthax to double his size.

A giant Maltoran now levitated above the earth.

r2d2go
2014-08-26, 04:37 PM
Alright, now you should be able to carry us. Try to hug the side of the mountain - it might help let us not be seen. This'll last a few minutes but we should move as quickly as we can - if there's another similar obstacle, we'll want to pass it on the same casting.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-26, 06:52 PM
"There is nothing stealthy about a flying 10 foot tall Maltora. Not one bloody thing. I'll stay as close to the rocks as possible." He nods in understanding. He graciously accepts the beneficial spells being cast on him with a smile.

Gorthax chuckles quietly and mutters " KNEEL BEFORE YOUR GIANT FLYING MALTORA OVERLORD! COWER BEFORE MY MAGNIFICENCE. EVERYONE GATHER ROUND MY MIGHTY LOAD-BEARING LAP - IT WILL RAISE YOUR PATHETIC EMOC BODIES TO THE NEXT PLANE. Or at least to that ledge over there."

The stench of stale ale waffes in the air as everyone gets closer to Gorthax. His trophy necklace of finger bones clacks together as he jostles around and grabs an adventurer in each massive hand.

You are nothing but dolls, playthings to be crushed in my wicked grasp... Gorthax was clearly enjoying this too much.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-26, 07:35 PM
Flying for half a minute, Gorthax and his ornaments reached the ledge. The party was now fairly high up upon the mountain. They could see for miles to the south, witch seemed to be an endless sea of grass and hills, bathed in the dim light filtered through the clouds. The previously smoke column (the large one in the west), was made invisible by the wall of rock that now stood between it and the eyes of the adventurers. To the east, they could spy a small camp, a single tent and fire, accompanied by large figure which stood motionless.

The wind whipped about, bringing an exceptional chill, and it made a terrible howl as it passed through the cavern that was now visible. The cave lead deeper into the mountain. Darkness quickly overcame what little light poured into the mouth of the cave. On the ledge itself, two ancient rusted spikes seemed to have been nailed into the rock. They aligned perfectly.

r2d2go
2014-08-26, 08:24 PM
You're right, nothing stealthy about this... still, I wonder if we can get a closer look without too many problems. A fourth level Summon Monster might do the trick, but if I can find a first level spell from the spellpool... Hm. I also can summon elementals at will, but they only last a minute or so and cannot stray far from me. Any ideas? If nothing else, I can cast Invisibility, if we have a safe place to land. Then you can fly over, perhaps with Pyrom, and get a better look.

Yas392
2014-08-26, 08:37 PM
Xapham suggested to the others mentally. We should get objectives. We shouldn't strike on larger camp. I scouted the east, there seems to be a higher ground. We can get a better view of the bigger camp if we tackle the smaller camp first.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-26, 08:46 PM
Gorthax watches the giant figure in the distance for several moments.

"Yes cast more spells on me and unleash my true power! I wonder why he is just standing there" Gorthax motions towards the giant standing alone. "I wonder if he has... company" he suggests knowingly.

The spikes on the ledge, how far apart are they ? trying to figure out if its for a rope or maybe a rope ladder (for giants ?) or something else.

Hamste
2014-08-26, 09:44 PM
I can make a sphere of invisibility if that helps any. If I had to guess he is a sentry. Which means that the fire is possibly a signal. We could probably take him out easily or I can try to detect his thoughts. Worse comes the worse I cast silence on Gorthax and he runs in if the giant reacts badly to me reading his mind. The silence should stop any warning the giant might try and then together we should be able to take it out. If there is more than one I just don't try reading it's mind.

Yas392
2014-08-26, 09:59 PM
Well, I could be wrong, he could be a lone traveller. Last night, Maxwell discussed something with some traveller who travelling independently from Aura Maraxi. He's a Belial, judging from his voice. Can you identify the giant below, mage?

r2d2go
2014-08-26, 11:11 PM
If we can get an Invisibility Sphere up, we can just all fly there invisibly. Flight is much less noisy than crunching through gravel or vegetation - without magical detection, we should be fine. With magical detection... I have Dispel Magic prepared, but I'm not sure we want to use it.

Knowledge (Local) on the giant to see if I can recognize it: [roll0]

Ellowryn
2014-08-27, 03:23 PM
I do agree that ultimately we will have to clear out both camps for our caravan to pass through here safely. As for actual strategy i will say that is probably better to clear out the smaller camp first so they cannot all come and assist when we try to clear out the larger camp. And while i cannot take on a dozen ogres at once for long, perhaps i could at least draw enough attention with Gorthax for the rest of our more stealthier companions to weed out the heard so to speak, and any scouts/runners too.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-27, 04:56 PM
"I want to explore the cave.. but if we find something nasty and need retreat, its a loooong way down. I guess I could tie a rope around one of those rusty spikes but not sure that would hold" Gorthax says. " We are up here already" he observes " we might need another fly spell to get back up here again"

r2d2go
2014-08-27, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, I only prepared Fly once. Perhaps we can arrange a ladder, or at least a knotted rope, so that returning is not so difficult... But we should do so quickly, as my spell only lasts for eight minutes. Anyone have rope?

Cast Prestidigitation. Scratch that, we don't need it :smalltongue: I'll cross it out anyway if you say so.

By rough estimate, we're about two thirds of a mile away - should make it with a minute or two to spare. Not ideal, but certainly not dangerous unless we dally. Let's go - the clock is ticking.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-27, 09:53 PM
Gorthax pokes his head into the cave and looks around.

Looking for a rope ladder or anything similar in easy reach from the opening. He won't actually go in but should be able to see a fair ways into the cave with his dark vision assuming it doesn't twist and turn.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-28, 01:13 PM
"Okay gentleman, let's load up and check out that lone guy out in the field"

Gorthax positions himself again to take on the rest of the group. "Let me know when you are all ready - its a long way down. So hang on tight."

Gorthax will fly toward the lone/small camp when everyone is ready. He'll keep an eye on the figure- noting if it moves at all. Around the halfway mark if the figure is still not moving at all - he'll suggest to the others that the lone figure is surrounded by bulettes.

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 04:00 PM
I'm ready when you are. This will be interesting...

Hamste
2014-08-28, 04:30 PM
Let me just cast the sphere on a rock and then we are all good. Remember if you attack or move more than 10 feet away from this rock you become visible. It is important you don't lose this rock or put it into a extra dimensional space. If you really want to attack and you are holding the rock hand it to someone who isn't attacking. Also everyone make sure you have no uncovered light sources, light does not go invisible. Pyrom explained before muttering and gesture on a rock. He then handed the rock to Gorthax. There is no obvious effect from the rock.

Casting invisibility sphere...I was half considering simply not casting it and hoping everyone biffed their spellcraft/sense motive checks but decided that would probably cause more trouble than it is worth :P

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 04:54 PM
After Pyrom cast his spell, suddenly the party vanished without a trace. Holding the rock, Pyrom situated himself comfortably on his Maltoran mount, before wedges the rock into one of Gorthax's massive hands.

Gorthax sped through the air, his compatriots holding on tight lest they fall. The wind whirling about the troupe as they flew towards the lone tent and fire. About half-way there, Gorthax mentioned the possibility of bulettes.
Gorthax descended rapidly. By the time he reached the creature, he was hovering 30ft above it.

The creatures was tall, perhaps twice the size of a regular human. With broad shoulders and a hideous, snout-like face. It was hairy. It was covered in thick, matted hair from head to tow. Adding to its hirsute nature were a number of animal pelts draped over the creature. It carried a small tree or log in one hand.

The creature's flesh seems rather pale, and its eye are sunken and seem vacant. Of course there's not much sun up in this region so that could be natural.

That's definitely a zombie. You have absolutely no idea what the base creature is, but it's sure as Heldor undead.

It's definitely an ogre.

Gorthax catches a whiff of the giant humanoid on the updraft of wind. The creatures smells foul. More so than you'd expect from a monstrous being like this. Almost like rotten flesh.

Ellowryn
2014-08-28, 07:14 PM
It seems that attacking it will be rather unnecessary, i will handle this myself unless there is something else here that i should know about?

As he thinks this to the group, Clarence reaches under his robe and brings out his Reliquary Holy Symbol which begins to glow slightly.

Hamste
2014-08-28, 07:24 PM
We would have to drop you off first so we don't have a flying cleric where we are. Also are you sure you can handle it by yourself? It seems like it would be pretty weak to enchantment or my illusions so I could mess it up a lot. I guess it is pretty sickly though.

You are going to have to explain in character that these guys are undead (presumably from what my character perceives) and are therefore immune to mind-affecting spells

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-28, 07:25 PM
"Whoa whoa whoa little buddy. Attack it? maybe he is friendly?" Gorthax thinks back at the group. "Just because something is 10 feet tall and stinks..."

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 07:32 PM
Our job is to get rid of ogres, and this is likely a sentry. We should dispatch it immediately - the only reservations I have are in case of a trap.

You might want to talk through Pyrom's telepathy with italics :smalltongue: or you might screw us all...

Ellowryn
2014-08-28, 07:38 PM
With a knowing smile Clarence leaps off his friends at the enemy. Once he is sure he is clear of the Invisibility Bubble he brings his Holy Symbol to bear as his robes flutter about him. From his lips escape the roar of holy fury BY THE LIGHT OF JOVAAN!!!

Using both a Turn Undead and a Greater Turn Undead attempt, turn check of [roll0] and assuming i succeed (need at least equal the Undead HD with roll) my turn damage roll of [roll1]
If all is good then i will destroy outright any undead in the area.

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 07:50 PM
Zander drops down, standing next to Clarence and preparing to turn him invisible in case someone appears.

Readied action to cast Invisibility. Also, do I get anything from Detect Magic? I only said I casted it OoC but I meant to do that.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 08:25 PM
Zander and Clarence slid off of Gorthax, suddenly appearing, as if materializing from thin air. With a resounding thud, the pair struck the ground. Zander unfortunately lost his balance as he departed the Maltora and found himself flailing about as he fell. He hit the ground flat on his back, his head ringing slightly.

Clarence on the other hand, landed right on his feet, quickly kneeling down to dampen the force of the fall. His holy symbol held high, the golden light radiated from the glorious sun emblem, which washed over the stupefied giant. It dissolved to dust instantly.

Zander shook off the buzz in his ears and stood up, brushing the dust and dirt off his robes. He began to sweep for magic, and he found plenty.

Soon after the landing, a figure stepped hurriedly outside of the tent. He was tall, he wore elegant black robes and brandished a long staff, topped with an obsidian orb. His skin was like paste. Short, black hair covered his head. He glared back and forth between the pair standing before him and where the dust of the giant had settled with his pale eyes. After a brief moment he spoke with an agitated voice.

"By the endless Void man! What a way to make yourself known!" He stopped when he saw the symbol carried by Clarence "Well, this just gets better..." he muttered. "Look, there's obviously some kind of misunderstanding. I'm sure you're gonna want to 'cleanse' me soon enough. But um, can you hold off on that. I'd really not like to deal with that kind of interruption. Plus then I'd have to explain why I had to kill a cleric and ... well maybe not, that'd be pretty obvious, but I think you get my gist." He continued in a tired and long winded manner.

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 08:28 PM
Change it to counterspell with Dispel Magic, if I can't tell what spell he's casting or if I detect a spell of third level or higher.

Hamste
2014-08-28, 08:38 PM
Do me a favor, set me down behind the tent. I would jump but I prefer not break my legs and stealth. I'm going to try to see if he has any good magic items and maybe try to read his mind. Pyrom telepathically sent out. He then used detect magic to see if he could figure out how well equipped this caster was.

Spell like detect magic while waiting to be put down, no somatic or vocal component so this shouldn't be a problem and surely this is not an attack (Though it can be argued by RAW that it is, in the very least I can argue I don't perceive him as a foe just yet as he seems peaceful)

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 09:59 PM
Gazing around the tiny camp, the party took a little more of the surroundings in. It was on top of a hill, where the ground evened out. The tent itself is large enough to stand in, perhaps for humans could fit in at a time. After a long pause, the black mage spoke.

"Listen, I like long, uncomfortably silences and angry glares as much as the next guy, actually, after working with liches and vampires everyday day I'm used it by now I suppose, but are you and your friends by chance related to the maniac that stumbled into my camp last night? Oh, and don't think I don't know that more of you guys are about. When people fall out of the sky, theres bound to be more flying around."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-28, 10:07 PM
Gorthax complies with Pyrom's request "Press him for more details about the maniac" he thinks towards the group.

Fly around slowly to the back of the tent and drop off Pyrom and anyone else who wants to get off the 'Gorthax express'. Gorthax will then more around to the front of the tent again, about 40 feet from the stranger and about 10 feet off the ground.

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 10:19 PM
...why don't you just tell us who, exactly, you are? That might help me decide if I need to waste spells locking you down while my obviously present allies beat you to nonexistence. Zander's saracasm is deliberately ambiguous - he wants the mage to remain unsure of how many enemies are present. We're in a hurry, so if you could make this quick I'd be quite thankful. We might even have the same enemies, and then I'd need to be friendly! Maybe elaborate on that maniac?

Ellowryn
2014-08-28, 10:48 PM
As for our purpose here, that can wait for another time. Any information you have about that 'maniac' would indeed be appreciated though as there is a possibility that we are indeed related. Clarence spoke calmly and firmly as he turns sightly to place a hand on Zander.

Cure Light Wounds!

[roll0]x1.5 total healing on Zander, forgot about my empowered healing :smalltongue:

And you will have to forgive me for purging the abominations against the living, regardless of their source nothing deserves to be treated like that. If you happen to have any more lying about i would be happy to lay them to rest too.

Pyrom, once you get to the tent let me know whats in there as i might have a better idea about it than you. It seems coming to the smaller camp was indeed a better idea as this one probably would have been more than happy to make use of anything we killed to fill his abominable horde after we left. And im sure he would be more than happy to assist us in order to gain more.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 11:07 PM
The mage looked at Clarence with a slight pout. "Yes, if I need anymore of my scarecrows obliterated, I know who to call upon. And I think you got them all, you can even check. I'm sure you'll find the dust of my pet cat to your liking. I just hope it didn't get into my rations, corpse dust tastes awful, let me tell you."

"Why don't we start introductions? Now that's a more amicable approach to this situation." The mage arched his brow and put on a pleasant smile. "Ahem. I am Kaiden Ulmora! Drinker of the black brew, devourer of the bitter fruit, and Mage of the Midnight Coven, at your service." Kaiden bowed. "I'd offer my hand, but I'm afraid you'll hack it off. I could just get a new one I suppose, but it'd smell bad and I'm sure it would really hurt." He paused. "As for your maniac friend. He ran into my camp last night, don't ask me why. By the time I went outside to see what the noise was, my late minion was already holding him. He was unharmed far a I could tell. Unconscious, but I didn't do anything to make him so. 'Bout an hour later he wakes up and starts screaming and just wouldn't shut up. I've got him under enchantment inside if you want to take a look ..." He voice seemed perfectly candid, his free hand pointed over his shoulder to the tent behind him.

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 11:14 PM
I think you'll forgive me for not stepping in, though if you'll take the man out I'd be happy to take a look from a safe distance. Have you heard of a certain ogre caster in the area? Terrorizing a caravan? Lieutenant of a ogre warlord?

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 11:23 PM
"That's easy enough. And no, I don't know anything about an ogre spellcaster. Didn't even know there was a tribe of them here before I arrived. Of course, I found out soon enough. Scouting party of their's ended up in my camp. You saw the results of that." As he is speaking, and man emerges from the tent. He has swarthy skin, and dark brown hair. He wears a vacant, almost dream-like expression, but otherwise does not seem to be harmed.

"Ah, see! Fit as a fiddle he is."

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 11:26 PM
Well. Have you heard of the nearby caravan, sponsored by the Arcane University at Lorethos?

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 11:31 PM
"If it wasn't obvious before, you should notice a pattern of me having no interest in matters that don't concern me. Directly or otherwise. Besides, I haven't heard a damn thing about the university since they kicked me out of my teaching position."

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 11:46 PM
Zander shrugs. I figured I'd check - we've been watching, and there's something suspicious about that group. Anyway, the flight's going to wear off at some point, so we'd best be going. We might be back, so if you keep an eye out for suspicious things we might be able to keep them none of your business. Best of luck to you, Kaiden.

Zander gently pushes Clarence back towards Gorthax with Prestidigitation, walking away. I know this isn't ideal, but we can't fight three enemies at once. We'll be back, don't worry.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-28, 11:52 PM
"Are you just going to leave this guy with me?" He asked in an astounded manner, pointing to the man next to him. "I am not a chaperon for the incompetent dregs of your society. Such a task is neither my concern nor the concern of the Coven."

r2d2go
2014-08-28, 11:56 PM
Zander sounds slightly annoyed. He's not exactly from my society, and it's not like we've got a mental health professional. If you want to keep him subdued, be my guest. Actually... maybe you should send him to that camp I told you about. Give the University something to deal with, and avoid killing the guy. I assume that because your first thoughts were of chaperoning him, you respect life as a necromancer?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-08-28, 11:59 PM
"Clarence, ask the jibbering idiot if his name is 'Marcus'" Gorthax suggests in his mind.

Hamste
2014-08-29, 09:15 AM
Hmmm, that staff is pretty magical be careful of that. I have an idea if this looks like it is going badly. I can make an illusion of a lot of flying mages. Clarence or Zander calls for them to reveal themselves and they drop their rocks to "reveal" themselves. Make him mix up who he has to target first a bit and make him a bit more afraid to just attack us. Plus we might be able to catch him off guard as he expects the people who we would obviously keep hidden are mages as well when in reality they are are fighters. If you guys do leave just leave me here for a bit, I doubt this guy can find me and I can do a bit of spying around and just walk back. Also remember, reentering the invisibility sphere does not make you invisible. That means he may just be trying to trick you so that he can fireball you all midair. Pyrom mentally thought as he shifted over a bit and carefully pushed one of the spikes on his morningstar into the tent carefully to peek through. He carefully made sure the hole was blocked at all times so no light might stream through.

Taking 10 on my move silently and hide checks for 32 and 38 respectively. If needed taking 10 on the the move silently/hide check to make a hole in the tent. Pyrom also moved over so he could peek around the corner if needed

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-30, 12:41 AM
"I figured there'd be a good chance someone would be looking for him." Kaiden responded to Zander's question. "Killing someone just to raise a mindless husk is counter productive. It makes more enemies than it's worth. The Coven doesn't need a crusade against them." He stretched and sighed.

Gazing into the tent revealed a moderate abode. The ground is covered by a thick tarp. Atop it rests a neat bedroll. Dust swirled in the air. A large mirror could be seen out of the corner of Pyrom's eye. Next to it sat a strange, globe like contraption. Near the entrance was a black backpack, packed to the bursting point. Piles of robes were stacked behind it.

r2d2go
2014-08-30, 12:54 AM
Zander shrugs. Well, we're not that someone. If we took him, we'd probably have to leave him on a cliff somewhere while we finish our job, and our flight runs out soon. I think your best bet is sending him over to the caravan. But we really must be going - if you'd like, we could come back to talk more once we finish our job.

Hamste
2014-08-30, 07:41 AM
Hmmm, there is some interesting stuff in here. I wonder why he carried around a mirror and globe? How did he even move it? I see a backpack that appears to be full which hints hints he doesn't have a bag of holding so how did he even move it all? Maybe a transmutation spell or he made it after coming here. Pyrom mentally said before using detect magic again to see which of these item ping.

Using another detect magic spell-like assuming I wasn't concentrating on the first one anymore.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-30, 11:53 PM
"If you have something to discuss, certainly. I'll be here. Now, You there." Kaiden looked towards the enchanted man. "Go back to whatever camp you came from. By yourself if necessary." The man nodded and began to walk away. "Now if there's anything else I'd like to get back to work. I need to calibrate a new device of mine. It's been proving quite fussy."

r2d2go
2014-08-31, 02:25 AM
Certainly. As said, we really must be going as well.

Zander returns to Gorthax, climbing... aboard?

Yas392
2014-08-31, 07:48 PM
The cat dog surveys the scene with interest as the light cleanse everything impure. He hops down and hide behind the mage for most of the talking. When they bring up the topic of the Kaiden's faction, he reveals himself behind Clarence, a bit reluctant. What is the Coven exactly?

Hide (Take 10) - 20
Sense Motive - [roll0]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-31, 08:10 PM
The black mage is shaken for a moment as Xapham materializes from midair. "Aha! I knew there was more of you." He cleared his throat. "But I'm afraid I can not fully answer your question, for the Coven is many things to different people. He paused, gripped his staff and circled it around him, checking to see if there was anyone nearby. When he was satisfied, he continued.

"I suppose it exists to study the cause and effects of the negative energy plane. It is one of the few planes that intermingles with our own, and it makes up part of the soul of every living being. But of course it's not limited to creatures of Narium. It can effect anything from inanimate objects to nature itself. Which actually why I'm here. i mean, it's summer correct? Even in the northern reaches of the Republic it's not this cold. I hypothesized the possibility of the plane seeping into this area, and decided to investigate, but my measuring globe has been acting strange. "

Hamste
2014-09-01, 01:58 PM
I could try stealing some of his stuff if you guys are willing distract him, I would need a bag of holding though, it is pretty big. If you guys plan on bringing that guy back I could also watch the necromancer for a day. Make sure he isn't up to anything nefarious. Maybe mess with his mind a bit or try to squeeze more information from him. Pyrom mentally said as he moved towards the rocky slope of the mountain to find a hiding spot close by until he was sure the caster was all settled down.

Assuming there are some loose boulders at the bottom of the mountain Pyrom is hiding there. If there is any other place to hide behind that is closer, are their trees nearby?

r2d2go
2014-09-01, 02:21 PM
I think our best bet is to leave him alone, for now. We can return to do whatever we want later, but having a "coven" and an ogre warlord attacking us is not ideal. Let's finish one thing at a time. Once we get back from dealing with Shrokar's lieutenant, then we can maybe mess with him a bit.

Clarence, I know leaving a necromancer alive is against your mission for Jovann, but think of it this way. If we leave him, we might be able to get the Coven and the giants fighting eachother - Pyrom's good at illusions and that sort of thing. At the very least, they don't know we're fighting them, so we can do more than take out one single necromancer. If we attack him now, we'll be a target for both Shrokar and the Coven, and we'll have a very hard time fighting the organization as a whole. Let's deal with Hulgol, the lieutenant, first. We can come back.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-02, 01:30 PM
"Well, if there's nothing else. I'll return to my tinkering. You three ... or four ... or however many of you have fun with whatever quest that currently has you occupied. And remember, if you find any wells, deposits or ancient artifacts of pure darkness and negative energy, you know where to find me." Kaiden bows and backs up slowly, giving one final wave before entering his tent.

Through the hole in the canvas, Pyrom spied Kaiden as he returned. No sooner than he entered the tent, a squeaking noise cried out from the pile of robes. A bat launched itself of the pile of cloth, landing perfectly on the mage's shoulder.

Kaiden looked around the tent, and glanced at the entryway quickly, before muttering a quick incantation. It was a simple Alarm spell, Pyrom could tell that without even thinking. The necromancer then moved towards the mirror.

"You stay here." Kaiden gently placed the bat on the ground and picked up the heavy looking globe, before addressing the mirror. He then spoke in Arcanic. "The Well of Night fuels my being. I am Kaiden Ulmora, Mage of the Coven. My mantle is my badge, I demand passage." Suddenly, an inky vortex swirled within the mirror, and without hesitation, Kaiden stepped through taking his globe with him. The portal vanished.

Hamste
2014-09-02, 02:29 PM
That explained the conjuration effect on the mirror but what about the transmutation one? It would be interest to see if I could trick it at some point with a few simple illusions and those words or if it was one that actually needed something. It was too bad the wizard had taken the globe with him. It would have been so easy to steal it. The bat would have been a bit annoying but it didn't appear to have any spells on it when he had detect magic up so it probably couldn't warn the mage unless the mirror only teleported them a mile. Rendering it unconscious would be a slight problem but it could be dealt with particularly if it couldn't actually contact the mage. Then all it would have taken was a few simply dispel magics to get in. Pyrom thought to himself as he viewed the scene. He briefly wondered about sneaking in and breaking the mirror just to see what would happen to the caster before deciding it would be best if he just waited like he said he would.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-04, 02:39 PM
Upon the dark mage's departure, Gothax quickly rounded up his allies. And rushed back to the top of the ledge, far up the mountain from which they came. The party rested on top of the ledge, just as the magical flight wore off. They touched down gently, staring into the black maw of the howling cave.

r2d2go
2014-09-04, 04:54 PM
So... Anyone have a torch?

Zander peers into the cave.

Ellowryn
2014-09-04, 07:11 PM
Clarence sighs

At least you still managed to keep your sense of humor after that episode, personally i don't know if i can rest easy knowing that necromancer is loose. But we will deal with him later i suppose, so no use complaining about it now.

He sighs again, and begins to move into the cave and once he is a good 120ft in will take off his outer robe.

r2d2go
2014-09-04, 07:42 PM
Zander shrugs apologetically. I'm not entirely comfortable with it either, but fighting an entire coven of necromancers while dealing with Shrokar... I swear we'll go back though. I don't like the undead any more than the next person.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-04, 09:14 PM
Clarence's brilliant light illuminates the darkness of the cavern, revealing a passage that leads further into the mountain, perhaps 200ft, before turning abruptly to the west.

r2d2go
2014-09-04, 11:34 PM
Well then. Exploring strange caverns it is. Pyrom, are you taking point again?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-05, 01:24 AM
"Gah that light is blinding" Gorthax hisses.

Ellowryn
2014-09-05, 07:45 AM
My apologies my friend, but not all of us are blessed with the ability to see in darkness, let me see if i can orient the light better....

Clarence will put back on the robe but not close the front, so the light only shines in the direction his body is facing.

Guess this gives new meaning to full frontal! :smallamused:

Hamste
2014-09-06, 03:51 PM
I will go first, make sure you stay a good distance away from me though. I need the darkness to hide effectively. If I fall down a pit or something hopefully I survive long enough for you guys to come into telepathy range. Do me a favor look away from the cave for a second Clarence. If there is something right in there just out of sight I want to get hiding as soon as possible. Pyrom mentally said. He went to the right of Clarence and made sure there was no line of sight from the cave to him and started hiding. It wouldn't do if someone was already watching and they just made sure they never took their eyes of him.

As always, taking 10 on all my stealth based checks.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-06, 04:43 PM
Pyrom skulks down the hallway, after Clarence turned the light away from the cave mouth. The Emoc disappears into the shadows.

Continuing all the way down, the cave turns west. Perhaps a good 30ft from where you are, there appears to be a natural chute.

r2d2go
2014-09-06, 06:13 PM
Zander stays fairly far back, but follows after about a minute.

Hamste
2014-09-06, 06:36 PM
Chute down there, it goes down pretty far from what I see. If you wish, I could climb down there using some magic or we can wait to renew our spells. I haven't really used many yet so it is not necessary for me though but I don't really have an effective way for anyone other than me to get out again. Pyrom explained as soon as he got back within range of his telepathy. He was careful to move forward whenever it looked like Clarence was moving so he wouldn't be caught with the full brightness of the light.

Heading back into range with my telepathy and moving whenever Clarence does to stay hidden.

r2d2go
2014-09-06, 06:59 PM
Can you give Gorthax the climbing magic? I hate to use him as transportation again, but he could carry us - I don't have Enlarge Person anymore, but one by one should work. And he seems to enjoy the enhancements... I could also call Feather Fall or a similar spell from the spellpool, if desired.

Hamste
2014-09-06, 07:20 PM
Feather fall would be a good way down and it would keep us from having to worry about slipping and falling down the pit by accident. I want to climb down there first though. Something down there could be waiting to eat us or warn others and there is something about climbing on the roof and looking down on unaware people that is oddly...interesting. Worst comes the worst I guess I can use another one on him when we need to leave but that doesn't help if we need to escape quickly. Pyrom thought smiling at the idea of climbing the walls.

r2d2go
2014-09-06, 07:32 PM
Well, from what I know of Spider Climb, which is what I assume you'll be using, it'll last over an hour with your skill. So perhaps we can cover everything with two castings - one for you and one for Gorthax... In any case, be careful down there. I'll be ready to jump down with Feather Fall.

Hamste
2014-09-07, 07:37 PM
Ok, heading down now then. I will give you a signal once I get a look. Pyrom said before casting spider climb and started to climb down.

Was giving some time in case Clarence wanted to give some input if they wished. Casting spider climb

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-08, 03:34 PM
Pyrom descended down the cold slope of the cavern. He climbed alone in the dark for several minutes, perhaps ten or so. By the end, he found himself standing in an abandoned room. It is undoubtedly man made, with cobblestone floors, masonry walls and the heavy bronze doors that stand both across from the chute, and to Pyrom's right. The doors standing on the right of Pyrom are intricately carved, with skeletal Doronar reliefs popping out of the bronze. Clearly, this room has been abandoned for some time, bits of rubble on on the floor, and the Emoc nearly gags and the amount of dust he disturbed upon entering. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NDUpXfQLVhTHrqDmbxjrqJfCPPSBE2z71MDoRvI0aOU/edit#gid=0)

Pyrom is gone for several minutes. There has been no word from him. The only sounds that can be heard is the dripping of water upon rock, and the quiet moan of the wind coming from the entrance.

r2d2go
2014-09-08, 04:03 PM
Hm. Pyrom's been gone awhile, but sound should move through the chute fairly well, and Pyrom's spell lasts over an hour. We should probably wait longer, but anyone think otherwise? Going down is technically an option.

Hamste
2014-09-08, 07:09 PM
Pyrom climbs back up until he is with in a hundred feet of the entrance and gives some telepathic communication. It is ok, it seems undisturbed down here. According to my estimations it goes about 2000 feet down though that is just an estimation. I don't think featherfall will reach and no escape plan we have will be exceptionally good. Also the room down there is definitely man made..

Also ooc, from now on unless I say otherwise or run out of the spell I'm scouting on the roof where there presumably isn't any dust. Also I spoilered this just in case something happens before I get in range.

Ellowryn
2014-09-08, 07:21 PM
I believe that acting hastily would be a bad decision, so i think its best to wait and, glancing back at the cave they came through, keep watch. Our friend has more than proven to be capable of being both extremely hard to find and able to handle himself in a fight.

Clarence will the sit down facing in such a way to be able to keep an eye on the rest of the cave that he can see.

Take 10 on Spot and Listen checks (a 13 apiece), whil sitting on something with his weapon and shield still drawn in case of surprise attack.

r2d2go
2014-09-08, 08:02 PM
Feather fall will work fine, though is slightly risky... It can be cast instantaneously, during the fall, and thus can stop the fall when near the bottom. Getting back up would be more difficult, but doable. I'm not entirely sure we should our enemies more time to prepare, especially while we still have tools at hand, but if others agree to it... Pyrom, how long did it take to get down there? Simply going down and up should not be particularly risky. Perhaps we should establish what is a danger to us below before resting.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-10, 03:04 PM
After debating their options, the party deciding on climbing down with their magics. It was a long while, perhaps ten minutes or so, before the reached the bottom. They found themselves standing in an abandoned room. It is undoubtedly man made, with cobblestone floors, masonry walls and the heavy bronze doors that stand both across from the chute, and to their right. The doors standing on the right of the party are intricately carved, with skeletal Doronar reliefs popping out of the bronze. Clearly, this room has been abandoned for some time, bits of rubble on on the floor, and the clouds of dust swirl about the room. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NDUpXfQLVhTHrqDmbxjrqJfCPPSBE2z71MDoRvI0aOU/edit#gid=0)

Pyrom elected to remain hanging on the ceiling.

Ellowryn
2014-09-10, 03:10 PM
Clarence moves to study the two bronze doors, occasionally pulling a book out of his pack for reference.

Fascinating architecture...

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-10, 03:14 PM
"Gorthax carry me here, Gorthax carry me there. Put me down Gorthax..I am not your beast of burden" Gorthax says dejectedly after everyone is together in the room.

He sighes deeply and dusts himself off.

r2d2go
2014-09-10, 03:19 PM
Sorry, Gorthax, but that's the price of being a... giant flying maltora overlord, was it? You have to work with those casting for you. Zander winks at Gorthax before examining the room. I wonder if there's anything in my notes about this...

Knowledge (local): [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]
Knowledge (the planes, non-black narium) [roll2]
Knowledge (the planes, black narium) [roll3]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-10, 03:28 PM
Two things catch your eye about the heavy bronze doors on the north side of the room. One, the dust near the base has been smeared and moved, something came through here recently. Two, you notice that engraved upon the borders of the doors are skulls, with tears streaming down their faces, an out-dated, but still fairly common symbol of Remora, Devil Queen of sorrow, and the undead.

Remora is the most reclusive of all the rulers of Heldor. Her fur is alabaster, with black streaks running over her eyes. She is known as the Lady of Sorrow, the Pale Mistress, and the Queen of Puppets. Although, while she herself remains isolated from even other devils, her influence reaches far across the planes. It was through her agents that mortals learned necromancy, and the secrets of un-life.
Her fortress burrows deep beneath Heldor, where even the red glow of the infernos of Heldor do not reach. There she remains, with only the undead to keep her company. Those who commit suicide are often given to Remora, where she reshapes their souls into agonizing mockeries of life, with no will of their own.

The rest of the group mills about the room, taking in the unpleasant smells of the room.

r2d2go
2014-09-10, 04:15 PM
Hm, I guess not. Clarence, do you know anything about the symbols around? Is there any specific door we might try?

Ellowryn
2014-09-11, 04:11 PM
Hrm, yes, interesting.... He begins to bring out some notebooks and copies the down the symbols on the door. After a few minutes he pauses and then points his quill at Zander. Ah yes, there are two important things about this door. Number one, the symbols on the border are of Remora, Devil Queen of sorrow and the undead, also known as the Lady of Sorrow, the Pale Mistress, and the Queen of Puppets. She is one of the older gods worshiped in the area long ago. And number two, which is more pertinent to our current situation perhaps, is that this door here has been opened recently.

And then he goes back to copying the symbols and engravings on the door.

r2d2go
2014-09-11, 08:03 PM
Hm. Then I suppose we should follow it - seems to be the most likely lead to our target. Once you're done, let's ensure nothing will detonate in our collective faces and be off, shall we?

Zander flicks his hand to cast Detect Magic while examining the door.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-11, 09:23 PM
Gorthax takes a hearty step back to give Zander room to search the door. "I'm sure its not trapped or anything, just look at all the happy faces . "

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-11, 09:39 PM
Zander conducted a brief scan of the double door. He discovered no magic enchantment upon them.

Just let me know who is opening the door. And I'll continue, although I am about to head out.

r2d2go
2014-09-12, 04:34 PM
Zander sighs, and says "I suppose life has no meaning without some risks, hm?"

He opens the door, ready to teleport away (and possibly Enlarge Gorthax if needed).

Hamste
2014-09-12, 04:34 PM
My turn to check to see if I find any traps attached to this thing. I wonder how they get up and down that tunnel though, maybe there is a second way in or they fly. Anyways, everyone stand back in case there is a trap and I accidentally activate it. Also how heavy do you think the doors are? If we could figure out how to remove them and move them anywhere we could get quite a pretty penny for them. Pyrom mentally said as he approached the door looking at it appraisingly.

search [roll0] followed by a listen check to hear if anyone is on the other side [roll1]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-12, 08:19 PM
Pyrom hurriedly looked over the door, hoping to catch any traps before Zander opened it. He let out a sigh of relief when nothing happened.

Zander tugged on the heavy bronze doors. They let out a sharp grinding sounds as they were dragged across the stone floor. A rush of chill air swept into the room from the newly opened passage, bringing with it the horrendous stench of decay. Clarence's light illuminated the dark room, revealing a long hall, which joined a larger segment. Directly across from Zander and Clarence, two more doors, similar to those that were just opened, were already ajar. Bones and debris littered to floor

Every five feet, the walls were carved out. There were stacks of three arches, underneath each arch was a coffin. Some coffins were open, cracked, or broken, revealing the old bones of ancient Doronar. Some coffins were empty, others, still shut. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NDUpXfQLVhTHrqDmbxjrqJfCPPSBE2z71MDoRvI0aOU/edit#gid=0)

r2d2go
2014-09-12, 08:37 PM
That is... a lot of coffins. Clarence, I think your abilities might be of great use fairly soon... I'll proceed with caution.

Once any trapfinding is finished, Zander pokes the ground in front of him with his staff, still ready to teleport. He continues in a similar fashion as long as nothing happens.

Hamste
2014-09-12, 08:56 PM
We just met a necromancer and now it appears to me we might just have stumbled into a crypt. I think me have to destroy the corpses that are still enclosed in their coffins just in case the necromancer stumble upon it. Besides, it is good practice destroying corpses anyways. Less corpses means less undead to torment. At least they are long dead and I don't think we need to worry about the original people complaining about the desecration of their holy land. So crack the bones or figure out a way to burn them using the chute without killing us with smoke? Pyrom said staring at the corpses.

r2d2go
2014-09-12, 09:13 PM
I think some ordinary fire should work fine. On the other hand, we're in a fairly enclosed space... Shall we figure something out once we make sure the room's not a death trap? Zander chuckles with his last comment, but the slightest tinge of fear surfaces as he speaks.

Zander considers the options, then uses his prepared spells to summon a minor elemental for scouting while standing safely outside the room. He sends it into the room to examine the coffins, and if needed, summons another when its time runs out.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-15, 02:15 PM
With an incantation and the waving of his hands, Zander calls forth a minor earth elemental. It's rocky body formed in front of Zander, its face bearing a stony frown. The Emoc gave it its orders, and with a grumble the mass of earth glided across the stone floor into the crypt. It checked each coffin, becoming part of the wall in order to see into the top row. It melded with each closed sarcophagus to gain a better incite as to what was inside. Finally, he turned to Zander, and spoke, its voice like the grinding of stones.

"Many fleshy things lay still like stones within the rocky beds."

Before it becomes part of the earth once more.

I assumed you meant a small earth elemental when you said "minor" elemental. Remember to subtract the spell use from your daily uses.

r2d2go
2014-09-15, 03:42 PM
Hm. All I found out was that there's still "fleshy things" around. That could be mummies, or it could be something more... substantial. Let me try again.

Zander summons a second elemental, asking for a more specific response.

I have a reserve feat that lets me summon elementals at-will as long as I have a 4th level or higher summoning spell available :smallbiggrin:

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-15, 04:17 PM
Zander called back the recently departed elemental. The wizard wasn't sure, but it seemed as though the creature was frowning even more. A grumpy frown, like the one someone has after being woken up too early.

Zander asked the elemental to elaborate on his findings. The creature slouched and scratched its head.

Fleshy beings lay in stone beds. Not-fleshy things cover parts of the fleshy beings. Like the not-fleshy things that cover you. They no move when I touch fleshy things.

r2d2go
2014-09-15, 04:28 PM
Zander apologizes for disturbing the elemental, thanks it for it's time, then dismisses it.

Sounds like mummies. Luckily, they're not moving, so probably the non-animated kind. Should we deal with the bodies now, or should we move on and come back for them? Setting off a fire might give us away, but I agree that they need to be dealt with.

Then he looks back at his surroundings, and sighs. Actually, lighting them on fire here might just choke us out with smoke. I think we need to move on - Gorthax, want to crush or dismember the bodies? Then we can move on with at least some peace of mind without suffocating ourselves or telling anyone we're here.

Once any interaction is finished, Zander examines the next door, though he steps aside for Pyrom's more skilled analysis.

Didn't note this earlier, unfortunately, but Detect Magic should have applied to the room within, too. Did I catch anything from that before I broke concentration via summon elemental?

Hamste
2014-09-15, 07:20 PM
There is a chute, that should give us more than enough breathing room. People seeing it may be problem. Anyways, I will check this door and help you with the breaking of the bones. Pyrom mentally said as he walked over to the door looking it over carefully before sticking his ear to the door.

[roll0] search and [roll1] listen.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-15, 07:23 PM
"uhhh I think we should just let sleeping dogs lie. A fire isn't very stealthy and won't improve the smell of this place. Someone scout for traps, I'll be 30 feet behind I guess and keep my sword ready." Gorthax suggests.

Gorthax draws his falchion and steps into the hall wary of been eaten by mummies.

Ellowryn
2014-09-15, 07:50 PM
Clarence will also go along, close behind Gorthax, holy symbol in hand and taking off his robe as he walks in, flooding the chamber in light.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-16, 12:33 PM
Zander, Clarence, Gorthax and Pyrom all stepped into the room, wary danger. Gorthax's strong sense of small backfired, as the stench in this room was far wrose than outside. But he had smelled worse, and kept his stomach under control.

The air was stagnant. There was an eerie quiet as the group stood in the hall, waiting for Pyrom to finish his investigation. Pyrom turned to the rest, signaling his task was done. Then the air began to stir.

Eyes darted about the room unsure of what was happening. The adventurers felt the already cool temperature drop dramatically, as if the warmth was being sapped from their bodies.

"Has someone brought a light into this sanctum?" Came a woman's whispering voice echoing about the room. The unknown voice followed her question with mocking laughter, like a soft cackle. Suddenly the doors dragged across the floor back into place, closing both exits. The party was trapped within the room.

"Even the ogres were smart enough to stay away from my domain!" The trailing voice came again. "They even trapped my toys in here. But that's okay." The voice once again laughed, like an innocent girl's giggle. "I have you to play with now..."

Horrid green light erupted from the coffins. The lids burst off, and skeletal hands slowly rose from their tombs. Next came their skulls, with eyes alight with a terrible red glow.

"Drink the marrow and eat the flesh! Drink the marrow and eat the flesh!"

Came the guttural chanting of three zombified doronar monstrosities, hunched over on the tops of the coffins. The party was surrounded on all sides. It was clear a fight was unavoidable, lest they parish.

Initiative
Zander (22)
Skeleton 6 (22)
Skeleton 4 (22)
Skeleton 7 (21)
Skeleton 3 (21)
Skeleton 8 (19)
Skeleton 2 (19)
Skeleton 10 (17)
Zombie-like creature 1 (12)
Gorthax (11)
Zombie-Like creature 2 (10)
Zombie-Like creature 3 (9)
Skeleton 9 (9)
Clarence (8)
Pyrom (7)
Skeleton 1 (7)
Skeleton 5 (6)

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=85396)

r2d2go
2014-09-16, 05:37 PM
Dammit, Rocky. This is why we can't have nice things.

Zander waves his hand and casts one of his stronger spells to restrain as many undead as he could. "Evard's Black Tentacles!"

Sculpted Evard's Black Tentacles (Metamagic School Focus, 10 foot cubes) covering the three in the bottom-right corner (of the smaller section I'm in), the fleshy one and a skeleton in the upper left corner, the fleshy one and a skeleton in the bottom left corner (all the way down), and the two skeletons in the bottom right corner (all the way down). Not sure how to draw it on Pyromancer's...
Grapples, left to right then top down:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

I suppose I expected this... You should meet one of my friends back home. He would love to "play" with you.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-16, 08:17 PM
Black tendrils burst forth from the walls and floor, wrapping around the undead horrors, and weaving themselves through the ribs of the skeletons. Only one of the creatures evades the grappling tentacles. Fierce cries are brought forth by the undead.

One skeleton stumbles towards Zander, brandishing a rusted longsword.

Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]

Damage [roll2]
If Crit, [roll3]

Another skeleton turns its red gaze towards Clarence, bearing its sword down upon the priest.

Attack [roll4]
Crit Confirm [roll5]

Damage [roll6]
If Crit, [roll7]

While the skeleton across from it lunges at Gorthax

Attack [roll8]
Crit Confirm [roll9]

Damage [roll10]
If Crit, [roll11]

And another moves to slash at Zander once more.

Attack [roll12]
Crit Confirm [roll13]

Damage [roll14]
If Crit, [roll15]

"My, my. What a splendid display of amateur wizardry." Came the mocking voice of the disembodied voice.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-16, 09:01 PM
"Feh! Careful you'll scratch my expensive armor" Gorthax snarls. He lashes out with his weapon at the nearest enemy.

Gorthax will switch 'Iron Guard Glare' stance. Anyone he threatens is -4 to attack someone else.

Gorthax will use 'Bonecrusher' against the skeleton that attacked him (or the nearest target if its not quite his turn yet).

He'll use 1 pt of power attack

Damage: [roll1] (slashing) + [roll2]

r2d2go
2014-09-16, 09:11 PM
Zander grins at the mocking voice. Amateur? Does that mean you're offering to teach? I could use a few more spells in my spellbook... I'm sure my friends could too. He waves his locked spellbook in front of the first skeleton as he dodges it's clumsy attack.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-17, 01:35 PM
Gorthax obliterated the skeleton that attack him. It's bones sent flying in tiny shards that shattered further upon hitting the wall.

The voice chuckled once again at Zander's remark. "I'd love to. But first, you must be willing to learn..." You could feel the wicked grin of the mysterious speaker.

The undead struggle to break free of Zander's magic, but remain firmly tethered in place.

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=85443)

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-20, 03:43 PM
Holding his glorious star of Jovaan aloft, Clarence invoked the power of the sun. A golden light washed over the room, emanating from the small holy symbol held by the priest.

1 use of regular turn undead.

Turning Check: [roll0]

# of HD affected [roll1]

As the holy light touched the abominations, their skin and bones began to sear, and golden cracks stretches over their forms as they hissed. A burst of golden light comes from within them, leaving only dust and ash.

"Hmmmm. I see that your borrowed power is not wasted, priest. Clearly these toys are to primitive."

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=85761)

Hamste
2014-09-20, 04:39 PM
Heh, and you said we didn't need to destroy the bodies. It is just the way of things, put all your dead in one place and necromancers will just appear like maggots on meat. I'm going to set the stage for some mind buggery later one. Keep in mind the girl could very well be the necromancer we saw earlier, the mirror I saw was conjuration and transmutation, though it does seem unlikely. You deal with the few are left, I will look for the necromancer. She probably isn't but it is worth trying. Pyrom said mentally to his comrades before saying aloud.

Bah, this one is even worse than the other necromancers we met. At least the first one only threatened us and the second one at least tried to act kindly...of course we killed all the undead the second one had on hand so they were not exactly in position to be rude to us. They are probably watching us right now I'm willing to bet, drooling over all these corpses. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to fight two or even three necromancers. What is with these mountains and The Midnight Coven. Pyrom said aloud before he cast detect magic.

Casting detect magic and looking around.

r2d2go
2014-09-21, 02:43 AM
Nice Turning, Clarence. We'll finish off the last few easily, I'm sure... I'll just make it a easier, then.

Zander flicks his wrist, and a puddle of grease appears beneath the remaining creatures' feet.

Casting grease, if it wasn't obvious :smalltongue:

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-22, 02:02 PM
Zander's spell caused the remaining undead to slip. They dangled in the air, helplessly constricted by the black tentacles.

Please roll damage for these things next time :smalltongue:
Skelly 3 [roll0]
Skelly 7 [roll1]
ZLC 1 [roll2]

The bones of the skeletons cracked under the pressure, and the red glow of their eyes sputtered and faded to the empty sockets they once were.

"Finish off the rest of them?" Came the cackling voice once more. "My dear mageling, have you forgotten where you are?" The heavy bronze doors adjacent to the two emocs began to slide open, once again ushering in the sounds of metal grinding upon stone. Two doronar stood in the next room. Their red scales discolored by the ages they spent in decay. Their eyes were glowing with a horrible yellow lights. Their bony claws crackled and pulsed with necrotic energy. A wicked grin formed on their faces. behind them were two billowing black clouds, shifting and convulsing, occasionally forming a skull, with two, piercing red eyes. "I don't know what other necromancers you've faced before, little emoc. But if you think I'm just another necromancer, or part of that ungrateful coven, then you haven't been paying much attention!"

"Careful!" Clarence warned the others "Those black clouds are Voidwraiths, they'll suck the breath right out of you! The others look like wights, but ... they seem much more powerful. Don't let them touch you!"

Voidwraith (29)
Zander (22)
Voidwraith 1 (21)
Skeleton 7 (21)
Skeleton 3 (21)
Wight 1 (20)
Wight 2 (17)
Voidwarith 2 (15)
Voidwraith 4 (14)
Zombie-like creature 1 (12)
Gorthax (11)
Clarence (8)
Pyrom (7)

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=85897)

r2d2go
2014-09-22, 04:54 PM
Hey, how was I supposed to know you were about to unleash a second wave of undead horrors? I'm a conjurer, not a psychic. Though, I probably know enough about the Black Narium to remember a thing or two about these things...

Knowledge (The Planes, Black Narium): [roll0]
If a Void Wraith thing attacks me, I teleport 10 feet straight back.

Hm. Looks like they're "undead" air elementals... Clarence, you know anything more specific?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-23, 07:49 PM
"Quit antagonizing the evil disembodied voice." Gorthrax snorts as he moves up closer to the action. "Get behind me you fools, only way out of here is through them"

Gorthax moves north 25 feet just behind Pyrom (F12) and readies an action to use 'Mountain hammer' on any enemies that get in reach (if any).

Hamste
2014-09-23, 08:09 PM
Ok, I have something that could work against them. Pyrom mentally said before he moved over Gorthax. He then started casting a spell. A group of ghostly soldiers appear out of no where in the door way partially covering several of the other undead and reaching right up to to the feet of Gorthax. He then crawled over top of Gorthax to better protect himself.

Moving over Gorthax. Targeting the top right corner of 10F with legion, it is a 10 foot emanation.

Ellowryn
2014-09-25, 08:59 AM
As much as i enjoy laying these poor souls to rest, i cannot keep doing this indefinitely. I will do what i can now but if this keeps up we may need to withdraw until i can renew my power, Clarence thinks to the group, knowing that while he would do everything he could to help his power wasn't limitless.

Seeking to try and create a unified front while preventing flank he moves up to Gorthrax and notices the alter. Making a mental note of it, he begins to channel a spell to help with the current combat while sprinkling some silver dust Consecrate!

Move up next to Gorthrax and then cast Consecrate centered on square 8G (i believe that it wont actually touch the alter if i place it there, im not sure exactly what squares it hits at the odd angles) and K Religion and Spellcraft checks are in the OCC

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-25, 01:48 PM
Pyrom muttered the incantations and drew forth his inner power, summoning ghostly legionaries, all in phalanx formation, guarding the party from the undead.

Clarence stepped forward, casting the silver dust into the air and splashing the holy water onto the cold stone floor. Immediately, golden runes etched themselves across the ground, emanating a brilliant light before fading. A feeling of tranquility passed over the room, and slight vibration could be felt in the air.

"Now .... done .... your ... destruction ...!" The formless voice faded from the room, her final words spoken forcefully, as if agitated.

The undead in the hall writhed and screamed, angered by the holy presence. But they soon refocus themselves

The billowing voidwraith darted through the wall, prompting the spectral soldier to attack with gusto. It passed by Gorthax, giving him a chance to swing at the evil cloud.

Legion 1
Attack
damage [roll1]
Legion 2
Attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]
Legion 3
Attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Legion 4
Attack [roll6]
damage [roll7]

Gorthax
% miss [roll8] (<= 50 is success)
attack [roll9]
damage [roll10]

Blades sliced the airy creatures, and bits of its smoky body disappear. It's presence however sapped the air straight out of everyone's lungs, as it formed a ghostly hand reaching towards Clarence.

Voidwraith moved from e9 ->e10 ->e11 ->g11, attacking Clarence

attack [roll] 1d20+8 vs touch ac
damage 1d4

fortitude save vs DC 15 1d20+8

If failure
1d2 constitution drain

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86353)

r2d2go
2014-09-25, 09:47 PM
Zander coughs out an incantation, then snaps his mouth closed to prevent more air from escaping. Glitterdust!

Hopefully that makes it harder for them to strike...

Five foot step to I11, Cast Glitterdust, 10 foot circle centered at the bottom corner in between the two wights. Will save DC 19 or be blinded, and any invisibility-type things are negated (no save).

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-26, 03:02 PM
Golden glitter spreads across the ancients tomb. And a wight howls as the dust settles in its horrid yellow eyes.

Suddenly, one of the Voidwraiths seems to meld into the wall. Bursts forth of the stone behind Zander, extending a billowing claw towards the emoc.

See Dice roller thread

Screaming, the blinded wight stumbled over the floor, prompting the Pyrom's ghostly guardians to attack the monster. While the other charges towards Gorthax, with a blood curdling cry, also giving Pyrom's legion a chance to attack.

See Dice roller thread

Feeling the sting of the sentinels' blades, the wight instinctually lashing out.

See Dice roller thread

It connects just before the spectral soldier can rejoin the ethereal plane, and that ghost disapates into the air.

Undeterred, the second wight lunged at Gorthax, attempting to pound the Maltora with its unholy strength.

See Dice roller thread

The Voidwraith charges through after the wight stumbles out of the way. Racing towards Clarence. The phantoms are too occupied striking the wight that the wraith slips by uninterrupted.

See Dice roller thread

Finally, the last wraith, who seems to have much of Zander's glitterdust trapped inside the cloud, drifts the the phantoms towards Gorthax, attempting to suck the air from the warrior's lungs.

See Dice roller thread

The zombified creature from before, still struggles with Zander's spell, as the black tentacle crushing the monster even more.

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86457)

-Pyrom and Gorthax are both in 12f, Pyrom is clinging to the ceiling.

Ellowryn
2014-09-27, 09:08 AM
Bracing for the onslaught, Clarence swings his blade at one that happens to have lowered it's guard.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Hamste
2014-09-27, 11:56 AM
I have a spell that might affect them. Also think the creature you are violating with several large tentacles will die soon? Really don't want it to escape and flank us. Pyrom mentally said before casting a spell to slow the enemies.

DC 19 will to avoid the slow effect, I get a chance to affect all the visible enemies except the zombie-like creature which is out of the range.

r2d2go
2014-09-27, 12:02 PM
The skeletons were crushed pretty easily, and I think my tentacles have it fairly well contained. Even if it does get out, it'll be slowed by the tentacles, and won't be able to do too much damage... I don't think it's worth finishing off.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-27, 12:20 PM
Pyrom released his spell. A deep, resounding hum echoed throughout the chamber. Purple auras appeared around the wight that struck Gorthax, and two of the wraith that had engaged the others. The auras sunk into their victims; the creatures' reactions visibly slower.

Wight 2, slowed

Voidwraith 2 and 4, slowed ... wait ... there's still the 50% miss chance ...

Edit: Yup, they're definitely slowed ....

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2014-09-27, 12:47 PM
Gorthax recoils from the wight's withering attack. Stifling a whimper, he brings his weapon around in a sweeping arc - his face the embodiment of rage.

OOC:

Last remaining withheld maneuver is granted this round.

Gorthax uses 'Divine surge' on wight #2

HP: 72 hp -5 temp hps = 67 hp -22 damage = 60/67 hps (15 damage pool)

Attack is +20 to hit, +3 from damage pool, -1 for level drain
Damage is 2d4+11 +3 from damage pool +8d6

Dice rolls:

Attack : [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Ellowryn
2014-09-27, 09:42 PM
With our foes being incorporeal it will be tough to hurt them without a great deal of luck, but i can at least use their weakness against them without worrying about such things.

Clarence braces himself as he lets out five syllables before holding onto his remaining air, charging his hand with positive energy before thrusting it at the enemy. Cure Moderate Wounds!

Attempting to Cast Defensively Cure Moderate Wounds
Concentration Check DC 17 [roll0]
If successful then melee touch attack on Voidwraith 2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2]+7 (From Empower Healing, always forget about that also) , Will Save of DC 15 for half

TheFamilarRaven
2014-09-28, 04:51 PM
The wicked grin of the wight that struck Gorhtax faded when the crusader retaliated with a mighty slash of his falchion. The monster reeled back and hissed, eager to return the favor.

Meanwhile, Clarence's attack connects with the voidwraith, causing shimmering light to spread all throughout the dark creature. A terrible howl, like that of a hurricane, emanates from the black creature. As if it screamed in pain.

Sensing the light from Clarence, the the adjacent voidwraith assaulted the priest.

Attack: [roll0] Vs touch
Crit confirm: [roll1]

Damage [roll2]
If crit, plus [roll3]

Fort Save VS DC 15

[roll4]

If failed, take [roll5] CON drain
and -2 to the amount of rounds you can hold your breath (In addition to the shortened length due to COn drain)

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86598)