PDA

View Full Version : Best Style for Finesse Fighter

Naanomi
2014-08-15, 03:05 PM
While I am setting up to run a game of my own, I will also be playing in a friend's game. I was thinking of a finesse fighter, sort of a 'Zorro' type with a whip and fancy combat maneuvers in light armor; with a Gladiator background (and skills focused on one-on-one dueling with other humanoid opponents).

Human, Gladiator
Fighter
STR 12, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 13, CHA 12
Common, Orcish
Acrobatics, Performance, Athletics, Intimidation, Perception
Disguise Tool, Land-Vehicles , Horn
+Martial Adept; Lunging Attack, Tripping Attack
1) Fighting Style: ???, Second Wind
2) Action Surge
3) Combat Superiority (4 Dice); Disarming Strike, Evasive Footwork, Repost
4) +2 Dexterity
5) Extra Attack
6) +Sentinel
7) Combat Superiority (5 Dice), Know Your Enemy; Sweeping Attack, Precision Attack
8) +Mage Slayer
9) Indomitable
10) Superiority Die: d10; Menecing Attack, Feinting Attack
11) Extra Attack (2)
12) +Alert
13) Indomitable (two uses)
14) +Dual Wielder
15) Relentless, Combat Superiority (6 Dice); Parry, Pushing Attack
16) +Mobile
17) Action Surge (two uses), Indomitable (three uses)
18) Superiority Die: d12
19) +Lucky
20) Extra Attack (3)

The one point I'm not solid on is that I keep going back and forth on fighting style. Two whips? One whip (and a free hand for shenanigans)? Whip and buckler?

HorridElemental
2014-08-15, 03:49 PM
The really cool thing about 5e that other editions of D&D/PF can not compete with is the ability for the fighter to switch fighting styles and stay competent versus enemies within the game.

When I make fighters I tend to choose my main fighting style and support it with feats but my secondary fighting style is chosen by my class features.

So I made a TWF fighter who I wanted to switch up into great weapon fighting every no and again. My fighter style is GWF but my feat is TWF. Because I can use Str to TWF I don't have to give up one option to gain the other.

Most optimal? No. Well rounded and useful? Yes.

So if you want to switch it up go right ahead, this editions's fighter can do it.

Naanomi
2014-08-15, 04:06 PM
I acknowledge that, but on the other hand I have a 'Fighting Style' class feature begging to be filled to drive the focus one way or another. I'm inclined to do the two-weapon thing, even though the mental image is a bit ridiculous. Duelist style does allow for charioteering though...

Yorrin
2014-08-15, 08:07 PM
My vote goes duelist with whip/buckler. Seems most 'action hero' to me.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-16, 10:03 AM
I've been thinking of trying to cook up a swashbuckler class for a while now by combining fighter and rogue features.

Some of the key things I think SB should have would be uncanny dodge, evasion, slippery mind, some skill expertise, and the vicious mockery cantrip at the very least

Yorrin
2014-08-16, 11:38 AM
I've been thinking of trying to cook up a swashbuckler class for a while now by combining fighter and rogue features.

Some of the key things I think SB should have would be uncanny dodge, evasion, slippery mind, some skill expertise, and the vicious mockery cantrip at the very least

Yeah, if I were to cook up a "swashbuckler" character I'd do it as a Fighter 6/Rogue 14 or Fighter 4/Rogue 16. Vicious Mockery can be picked up with a feat, if that's what floats your boat, along with Jump. Actually... this sounds like a really fun character to play.

rlc
2014-08-16, 12:23 PM
I acknowledge that, but on the other hand I have a 'Fighting Style' class feature begging to be filled to drive the focus one way or another. I'm inclined to do the two-weapon thing, even though the mental image is a bit ridiculous. Duelist style does allow for charioteering though...

two-weaponing is pretty weak right now, at least for fighters. i don't know how it would look ridiculous, though.

Naanomi
2014-08-16, 12:37 PM
I am focusing more on the combat side of the swashbuckler image, and will stick with fighter instead of rogue (at least for this build).

Two weapons would give me an extra attack (at 1d4+5+(whatever miscellaneous stuff), for an average of lets say 4 damage per round (assuming I hit around half the time). Lets me spread the damage more around for mook fighting; and pays off quickly for low level play. Also lets me buy duel-wield feat for +1 AC (not the best).

Duelist is +2 damage per attack for four attacks, again adding 4 damage around if I hit half the time. Better against damage resistance effects. Leaves a free hand for a torch, potion, chariot.

Shield style (probably with Protection style) gives +2/+3 AC (more, with enchantments); plus opens up Shield Master feat options (good for shoving people back where I can still whip them, and pseudo-evasion).

Still undecided.

rlc
2014-08-16, 12:42 PM
somebody did the math in some thread somewhere, but the two-weapon fighter came out to do the least damage out of two-weapon, duelist and great weapon. the duelist can also use a shield, nullifying the need for a feat to get the same +1 ac.

Yorrin
2014-08-16, 12:45 PM
somebody did the math in some thread somewhere, but the two-weapon fighter came out to do the least damage out of two-weapon, duelist and great weapon. the duelist can also use a shield, nullifying the need for a feat to get the same +1 ac.

This. TWF, while certainly not as gimped as 3.5, is still somewhat behind other styles. Duelist actually comes out better, especially if you're willing to use it with a shield.