PDA

View Full Version : Decipher card games...

Logic
2007-03-06, 08:21 AM
Does anyone else play any of the card games that were made by Decipher?
Star Trek CCG (1st or 2nd Edition)
Star Wars CCG (Not to be confused with the Star Wars TCG made by wizards of the Coast)
Any of the other forgettable games Decipher made...*COUGH*Austinpowers*COUGH*
Star Wars and Star Trek 1st Edition are now discontinued, but still, they were oh-so fun.

My gaming group recently revitalized our Star Trek 1st Edition Cards, and so far, we are having fun.

Next, to do the Star Wars ones!

Artanis
2007-03-06, 10:10 AM
I used to play Star Wars and Star Trek, but never really had anybody to play against, and eventually quit when I moved away from the few opponents I had.

In Star Trek, I played a Romulan deck based around Navigation, Treachery, and Kivas Fajo. It had two ways to win: either go complete a bunch of missions with almost nothing but that ultra-common Treachery/Navigation guy (Talus? Tralus? something like that), or shamelessly whore Kivas Fajo and Betazoid Gift Boxes to play almost every single Ship, Equipment, and Personnel in my deck over the course of two, maybe three turns, which would then go blow stuff up.

I never lost a match because, like I said, I didn't have hardly anybody to play against. My only opponent had this horribly oversized deck (as in ~150 cards), and his entire strategy revolved around running the hell away from my doom-fleets until he got the artifact that triples a ship's stats, at which point he would put it on his Future Enterprise and have it run away even more until I got bored and started actually scoring points. Also, his deck had Mot the Barber in it.

My biggest gripe with Star Trek was that they ignored 2/3 of the original factions. Every expansion had a TON of cards for the newly-introduced races, a bunch for Federation, and maybe one or two Romulans and Klingons. I know there wasn't a whole lot they could've done about it, but it still irked me.

Star Wars was something of a love/hate relationship. I hated the game, but loved Star Wars too much to keep myself from playing it. Seriously, needing special equipment just to shoot at the other player's guys? "Oh noes! They have scarier mean looks than us! We are losing the war because they are better at not hurting us!"

...yes, I know it didn't exactly work that way, but it sure seemed like it at times. Add in the fact that you needed not one, but TWO decks, and I quit shortly after the first expansion was released.

Dhavaer
2007-03-07, 12:07 AM
I have a couple of Lord of the Rings cards, but the mechanics of the game always struck me as slightly shoddy.

J_Muller
2007-03-07, 12:12 AM
I have a couple of Lord of the Rings cards, but the mechanics of the game always struck me as slightly shoddy.

Same here.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-07, 12:39 AM
I have a ton of Austin Powers cards...

I have no clue where they came from, I swear.

Artanis
2007-03-07, 12:57 AM
Seems about par for the course for Decipher. Every single Star Trek expansion gave the rules a moderate to major overhaul, and Star Wars had downright utter s*** for mechanics.

Logic
2007-03-07, 09:42 AM
Seems about par for the course for Decipher. Every single Star Trek expansion gave the rules a moderate to major overhaul, and Star Wars had downright utter s*** for mechanics.
I liked the way Star Wars was played personally, but I still think the inability to hurt anyone without a separate weapon card was odd.

Star Trek 1st Edition did have 2 things that bothered the hell out of me.
The Federation seemed to get a lot of new characters with every single expansion. When the DS9 expansion came out, that is when the Klingons and Romulans stopped getting the respect they deserved. The other thing that bothered me was they hadn't planned on giving characters special abilities or "game text" until after they had a few expansions under their belts. So many of the characters and ships that should have had something really special and cool were left by the wayside.

With a few exceptions, I never noticed rules overhauls for Star Trek. They changed the way personnel combat was done with First Contact, and changed ship combat with Blaze of Glory. Other than that, I can't think of any overhauls other than clarifications to particular cards (like Holo-projectors)

Haven't been bothered to learn Star Trek 2nd Edition, but my friends that play that tell me that it makes far more sense that the original game.

On the Lord of the Rings card game Decipher made, it did seem all shoddy. From the demo of it I saw it looked like a terrible Magic impersonator.

Dhavaer
2007-03-07, 04:44 PM
On the Lord of the Rings card game Decipher made, it did seem all shoddy. From the demo of it I saw it looked like a terrible Magic impersonator.

It's not really much like Magic. It's almost as though they tried to make a CRPG in card form.

Mr._Wilson
2007-03-12, 02:30 AM
I played Star Wars heavily. It took over for Magic, so much so that I only went back to Magic for a year after Decipher lost the license. Magic has a better setup, but I loved the flavor of Star Wars.

Now, I'm free of Paper Crack completely. Warcrack on the other hand....

Larrin
2007-03-13, 07:04 AM
Now, I'm free of Paper Crack completely.

Hello, my name is Larrin, and its been 4 years since i bought a pack of radomly assorted collectible cards or figurines.....

(its true, and it feels like a victory)

tgva8889
2007-03-13, 01:38 PM
My brother and I tried both games, to very little success, being that we were the only people who knew how to play.

None the less, we built some stupid Star Wars decks. I had a dark side Scum and Villiany deck and a light side Hidden Base deck, both of which were pretty decent. My brother had a dark side Tie-Fighter Fleet deck based around some objective or another, I think, and a light side Big Guns Heroes deck, complete with Luke w/ Lightsaber, Master Luke, Han Solo, Han Solo w/ Heavy Blaster, Leia w/ Blaster, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Obi-Wan w/ Lightsaber.

As for Star Trek, I swear my brother build a Holo-Deck, based completely around holo-grams. It was just funny that it was possible.

Mr._Wilson
2007-03-17, 02:10 AM
Scum and Villany and Hidden Base were my preferred decks as well.

Logic
2007-03-17, 09:08 PM
I liked the "Destroy the Shield Generator" for both sides. (Hoth for Imperials, Endor for Rebels)

WampaX
2007-03-20, 11:42 AM
Star Wars still. I'm now the Tournament Advocate for the www.swccgpc.com (http://www.swccgpc.com)

Star Trek v1, v2, Lord of the Rings in the past. Not so much those anymore.