PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 + PF] Decent Synergies with Perform(Dance)?

Palanan
2014-08-15, 06:29 PM
I have a character who's trained in dance, and I'm wondering if it's worth giving her ranks in Perform(Dance). Are there any good synergies with this at all?

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 06:34 PM
3.5: Snowflake Wardance lets you spend a use of bardic music for Cha to hit

PF: Dervish Dance lets you use Dex to hit and damage with a scimitar, as long as your off hand is unused.

Psyren
2014-08-15, 06:58 PM
Spellcaster or no? What class are you?

Wand Dancer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/wand-dancer) gives you flyby attack dance-by leviosa with wands.

Palanan
2014-08-15, 08:39 PM
No spellcasting whatsoever. She'll have 2 levels of the feat-rogue variant from Unearthed Arcana, plus Scout 3 with some urban-themed ACFs.

It was a long shot with the dance synergy, figured it was worth asking.

Drelua
2014-08-15, 08:48 PM
I think there was some Fighter ACF for drow that worship Eilistraee in Champions of Valor or something, and of course there's the Shadowdancer and Duelist that both require ranks in Perform.

Drelua
2014-08-15, 09:20 PM
I just went and dug it up, it was the Darksong Knight ACF (http://dndtools.eu/classes/darksong-knight-fighter/) I was thinking of. It doesn't give you anything great, but all you lose is the d10 hit die, getting a d8 instead, and it gives you an incentive to put at least a few ranks in Perform (Dance). The favoured enemy bonus against yochlols is hilariously specific, although it would be pretty cool if you actually got to fight one at some point.

Palanan
2014-08-15, 09:54 PM
Thanks for checking the details on that. Very, very specific indeed. Pretty sure those things won't be coming up.

avr
2014-08-15, 10:43 PM
First up Cloak Dance (XPH) has 10 ranks Hide and 2 of Perform (Dance) as prereqs. Only minor involvement of your dance training but it may actually be useful to you - it's nonmagical Hide in Plain Sight as a move action.

If you can get the Undersong spell (SpC) as a wand or from a one-level dip you can substitute Perform for Concentration checks. If you then get Tome of Battle stuff which relies on Concentration checks, you can use Perform to make saves or even deal damage.

Diovid
2014-08-16, 02:13 AM
Instead of getting Undersong as a wand or spell, you could try to get an item of continuous Undersong.

With regards to the Darksong Knight substitution levels, you could just take the 2nd substitution level and ignore the rest (and there are some nice additional Fighter variants you could use, specifically Hit-And-Run Fighter, Sneak Attack Fighter and Thug).

There is the Favored in Guild feat (DMG II) which allows you to make perform checks instead of diplomacy and gather information checks while in cities.

DMG II also has the Slippers of Battledancing which you might want to take a look at.

Waddacku
2014-08-16, 03:20 AM
The Kalashtar tactical feat Dancing with Shadows, which focuses on Combat Expertise and/or defensive fighting. You can build to do pretty neat things with it in combination with ToB, but it's pretty niche.

Immabozo
2014-08-16, 03:49 AM
Picking up women

StreamOfTheSky
2014-08-16, 10:02 AM
Elusive Dance feat, from dragon magazine requires 5 ranks. It lets you designate one foe each turn that cannot make AoOs against you. Sort of handy. And of course in PF, bards can use dance to replace acrobatics and fly skill checks. The Dervish PrC bases its dervish dance duration on ranks in the skill.

If you don't mind homebrew, I remade the 3E battle dancer (http://torchofspirit.proboards.com/post/462/thread) so that it'd be less sucky. It uses dance checks to dodge attacks, can cause fear to all foes in an area w/ save DC based on dance check, and can make a dance check at the end of a charge to leave the foe flat-footed (triggering bonus damage from the class) and later on to also get pounce

Palanan
2014-08-17, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky
Elusive Dance feat, from dragon magazine requires 5 ranks. It lets you designate one foe each turn that cannot make AoOs against you.

This is perfect in every way, thank you. Very useful for someone who avoids melee.

Also, very interesting capoeirista you have there. I'll have to keep that in mind.