PDA

View Full Version : need a caster class

relytdan
2014-08-15, 07:13 PM
I find myself needing a divine caster class or PRC that uses INT for spells dc/bonus and is a spontaneous casting class/PRC - otherwise any PRC that is a Divine spontaneous casting class

Vaz
2014-08-15, 07:18 PM
I find myself needing a divine caster class or PRC that uses INT for spells dc/bonus and is a spontaneous casting class/PRC - otherwise any PRC that is a Divine spontaneous casting class

There is none. Intelligence is learning, while wisdom is gaining.

Archivist is Int DC (but Wis bonus spells) and it's prepared.

Spontaneous - there are no Int focused ones available. Perhaps if you posted the rest of your concept, we could offer help with it?

malonkey1
2014-08-15, 07:22 PM
Well, you can always take Archivist (Int for spell level & saves, but not bonus spells, from Heroes of Horror). It's fun for early entry Theurge tricks alongside Wizard.

EDIT: Damn Swordsages.

nedz
2014-08-15, 07:25 PM
Beguiler who fakes being a divine caster — perhaps with lots of Arcane Disciple feats to aid the deception.

HunterOfJello
2014-08-15, 07:26 PM
You can pull it off when you add in a feat from Legend of the Twins, a Dragonlance book.

Race: Human or Strongheart Halfling
Wizard 1/Favored Soul 4/Geomancer X
or
Wizard 1/Spirit Shaman 4/Geomancer X
or
Wizard 1/Shugenja 4/Geomancer X

Feats:
1: Academic Priest (Legends of the Twins - Dragonlance book)
Bonus: Precocious Apprentice

The wizard level with precocious apprentice lets you cast 2nd level arcane spells. The feat Academic Priest from the book Legends of the Twins allows you to set intelligence as the stat that determines bonus spells and maximum spell level allowed for a divine casting class of your choice (and you don't have to have a level in that divine class yet either). The levels in Geomancer allow you to apply your intelligence based DCs from wizard on your divine spells from your divine spellcasting class.

This method will require you to get approval from your DM for the dragonlance feat, but i have yet to find anyone who thinks the feat is overpowered or inappropriate.

relytdan
2014-08-15, 07:29 PM
well as for character idea was to avoid having to use Wis and Int as I need Int already for other things...
but I have found these that may fit the need.. questionable on the mystic though...
Mystic (Dragonlance Campaign Setting variant, p. 47)
Shugenja (Complete Divine variant, p. 10)
Spirit Shaman (Complete Divine variant, p. 14)
Emissary of Barachiel (Book of Exalted Deeds variant, p. 59)
Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin variant, p. 48)

nedz
2014-08-15, 07:31 PM
Academic Priest would fit with Cloistered Cleric for a large number of skill points.
Make your Cleric Spontaneous (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) and you're sorted. Also works with Druid, though the fluff is harder to comb straight.

Zombulian
2014-08-15, 07:32 PM
There is none. Intelligence is learning, while wisdom is gaining.

Archivist is Int DC (but Wis bonus spells) and it's prepared.

Spontaneous - there are no Int focused ones available. Perhaps if you posted the rest of your concept, we could offer help with it?

Well they could always play an Archivist with Academic Priest.

JusticeZero
2014-08-15, 11:23 PM
Why does it need to be divine? Or spontaneous? It sounds like you're looking for a part without giving enough information to know if it's even the right part.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-16, 12:12 AM
Archivist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3), and maybe spend a feat on Spontaneous Healer and/or Spontaneous Summoner (CD). Possibly work in Uncanny Forethought from Exemplars of Evil. You could go into this with Wis 6 and still be fine.

DMVerdandi
2014-08-16, 03:43 AM
Academic Priest would fit with Cloistered Cleric for a large number of skill points.
Make your Cleric Spontaneous (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) and you're sorted. Also works with Druid, though the fluff is harder to comb straight.

This is the right answer.

However, if you "can't" have variants in the game ( cause of an icky dm :small annoyed:)
Favored soul for spontaneous cleric spells, and Spirit shaman for druid spells and use academic priest

relytdan
2014-08-16, 11:54 AM
unfortunately Academic Priest is from a source that is not allowed...
needs to be divine for access to divine spells, and preferably INT but there are none short of archivist and it does not do exactly what is needed I went with Apostle of Peace - in BOED - thanks everyone for the thoughts

Teh_das
2014-08-16, 08:40 PM
If it's 3.P, you can take sorcerer and use the arcane (sage) bloodline. That gets you INT based spontaneous casting. If you take the southern magician feat, all your arcane casting can count as divine

sideswipe
2014-08-16, 09:17 PM
favoured soul (or insert x class here) with lost tradition.

change casting stat essentially.

bekeleven
2014-08-16, 10:45 PM
favoured soul (or insert x class here) with lost tradition.

change casting stat essentially.

If Academic Priest isn't allowed why would lost tradition be?

It's further from official (3rd party instead of licensed)
It's more powerful (swaps bonus spells AND DCs)
It's more versatile (works on any stat, and arcane spells too I think)

Have you ever seen a DM that's allowed it? I haven't, and I've seen ones that let in the priest feats.

Zombulian
2014-08-16, 11:10 PM

Have you ever seen a DM that's allowed it? I haven't, and I've seen ones that let in the priest feats.

Hey an idea is an idea man.

Thurbane
2014-08-17, 05:23 AM
I'm actually running one at the moment as an NPC: a Favored Soul using the Lost Tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10203238&postcount=2) 3rd party feat to cast off Intelligence.

sideswipe
2014-08-17, 07:24 AM

when something seems far away, you have to take long shots. thats all.

relytdan
2014-08-17, 11:52 AM
yeah simply put bastards and bloodlines is not allowed either - but now I will have to see if Southern Magician will work - keep up the good ideas though.