PDA

View Full Version : How does Improvised Weapons work?

Cidius
2014-08-15, 08:53 PM
I am creating a Chef support class who could use his kitchen as weapon.

My question is exactly how this ability works.

For example using a bottle would break on first strike, using you unarmed attack plus 1d4. If i used a chair that would be a alrger weapon, im assuming a heavy club so it would have the same damage as a club or great club before breaking on fist hit?

Also my character uses a Cleaver & Butcher Knife, would these be considered Improvised weapons or would i have to include them as weapon proficiencies? I also plan on using a wok as both a weapon and as part of his armor when attached to his body, tied to his back as it were, how would that work?

bjoern
2014-08-15, 09:05 PM
I am creating a Chef support class who could use his kitchen as weapon.

My question is exactly how this ability works.

For example using a bottle would break on first strike, using you unarmed attack plus 1d4. If i used a chair that would be a alrger weapon, im assuming a heavy club so it would have the same damage as a club or great club before breaking on fist hit?

Also my character uses a Cleaver & Butcher Knife, would these be considered Improvised weapons or would i have to include them as weapon proficiencies? I also plan on using a wok as both a weapon and as part of his armor when attached to his body, tied to his back as it were, how would that work?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Improvised_Weapons

-4 to attack. Add strength to thrown objects damage. 50% chance of breaking each time it deals damage (unless hits a wall or something then it breaks)

Cleaver and knife. If you count them as improvised weapons then you can't get proficient with them. You could use a cleaver for a while without it breaking. I'd just call it a dagger for simplicity's sake. Or if you really want to, make it an exotic prof.

backwaterj
2014-08-15, 09:18 PM
Complete Warrior (waaaay in the back) has some expanded rules for improvised weapons, including types of objects that can be used to disarm, trip et cetera. Might be worth a look.

Love the idea, by the way!

Chronos
2014-08-16, 08:20 AM
The general rule is that you find the standard weapon that's most similar and base the damage on that, and give it the -4 nonproficiency penalty to attack. "Weapon that's most similar" is of course open to interpretation, but will often be a club or greatclub. A cleaver I'd call a handaxe, and a large knife a dagger. The knife, I might not even consider improvised, and just call it a dagger entirely.

Crazysaneman
2014-08-16, 08:27 AM
The general rule is that you find the standard weapon that's most similar and base the damage on that, and give it the -4 nonproficiency penalty to attack. "Weapon that's most similar" is of course open to interpretation, but will often be a club or greatclub. A cleaver I'd call a handaxe, and a large knife a dagger. The knife, I might not even consider improvised, and just call it a dagger entirely.

Also, if you fight with a cleaver (handaxe) and a large knife (dagger) as a two-weapon chef, you could take the Bear Fang feat. It's low OP but fun as heck. Chef gets in a fight in the kitchen, makes his attacks, uses his free grapple from hitting with both weapons and drags his opponent across the cutting board, knocking over everything and making a mess. He then finishes by dragging his enemy over the stovetop and makes a snide remark about how his enemy "Isn't such hot sh!t after all" XD

This just happened in my head, very Casey Ryback. With less homemade explosives.