PDA

View Full Version : When a Day of Eternity has Passed...

Mr. X
2014-08-15, 10:52 PM
The plains beyond the forest stretch wide open before you.

Their rolling hills, and high grasses rippling in the wind, give the impression of looking over an ocean, more than merely a field.

Here and there, islands of trees and denser foliage scatter the terrain, reaching densely skyward in stark contrast to the grasses that surround them.

And yet the grasses are tall also. Brushing the bellies of the horses as you ride, and reaching clear up to your chest when you stand upon the ground.

For Ahthosar and Elyne:

Days come and go as you move steadily Northward across the plains.

In the vast openness, the night skies are astonishing, and the days bright and glorious.
---
Dawn is just breaking when Elyne spots them, riding low behind the hill crest... She has just time enough to point, before the bellowing blast of the ork's warhorn echoes across the field, and the thundering of hooves can be heard as they charge.

Rising up over the hill, and down its bank, half a dozen of the beasts, mounted upon immense boars the squeal and shriek in their charge.

In that moment the smell of them reaches you, and Nimroch panics... He jerks sideways, and steps badly, stumbling, and spilling both his riders unceremoniously onto the ground.

The horse recovers himself, and you leap back to your feet. The orks are still a ways off, but you have lost precious time...

For Keledrath:

Weary from the progress of the journey, and from several weeks of activity prior to its start, you had taken shelter in a small thicket of trees, climbed to a fair hight, and drifted into a deep trance.

Time is irrelevant when in trance, and, free from conscious focus, the mind drifts easily to far off places, and wondrous visions...

... The bellowing blast of an Ork's war-horn draws you back... Close.

Seizing the Oathbow, you leap branch to branch until breach the tree's canopy, and can view the field from on high...

A group of orks, mounted upon great boars. Six of them... A hunting party, most like, bears down on a floundering pair in the open field... Their horse fallen, or tripped, spilling them.

They are Elves.

They recover themselves quickly, but the orks, roaring with glee and bloodlust, are bearing down on them at great speed...

For Rastanna:

You are moving easily through the fields, when the bellowing of an Orkish war-horn is heard from just beyond the patch of trees ahead of you.

Putting your heels into your horse, you circle wide around the bit of forest to get a better view...

Ahead, a half-dozen orks, mounted upon immense boars, bear down upon a pair of elves, scrambling to recover their footing, and their horse, from where it fell...

For All:

Please roll Initiative.

Orks Init:
1d20

@Elyne and Ahthosar:
You may re-mount Nimroch as a Move Action, if you wish. (You may Fast Mount as a Free Action, with a successful Ride Check, DC 20.)

The Orks are 200ft from you, but closing at full tilt. They'll be on you at the start of next turn, if you don't get out of there.

@Keledrath:
The Orks are, as yet, unaware of you, though they are a fair distance away. (350ft, to be exact.)

If you do not maneuver closer, your attacks will be subject to a -6 penalty for range, but will receive a +2 bonus for elevation. (Totally -4).

@Rhastanna:
The orks are, as yet, also unaware of you.

You have dealt with orks first hand, but never mounted, and never out in the open like this... The two elves in front of you may be in serious trouble.

You are 200ft from the other Elves, and may close the distance in a single round, if you so choose.

The Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Mobile%20Uploads/1408427070_zpsc3573091.jpg

Key:
Ah- Ahthosar
E- Elyne
K- Keledrath
R- Rhastanna
O- Orks

The grasses of the plains are quite tall, but flexible and soft. They do not incur a Movement Penalty, and you may attempt to hide in them. The Orks, while mounted upon the boars, shall receive a bonus to their Spot Checks, however.

Macros
2014-08-19, 11:52 AM
Elyne was up in an instant, trying to assess their situation at first glance. Unfortunately, every sign pointed toward a single conclusion.

This... this isn't good.

Two against six orc warriors, not to mention their mounts (since when did that happen? asked a part of her brain) who seemed raised for war were not good odds at all. Running seemed like the best option, but she wasn't sure Nimroth would be able to outpace their opponents, not with two riders on his back. Though perhaps the woods would offer a better defensive position...

Elyne quickly made her choice. With one hand, she drew her weapon, tracing a sigil in a blink of the eye to cast a defensive charm. With that done, she tried to help Ahthosar up, while leading a shaken Nimroth toward the southern trees in hope of reaching them before their opponents.

"Come on, we cannot stay here!"

Move action : moving toward the southern trees while drawing Fallen Star and leading Nimroth
Swift action : using 1 auto-quicken to cast Mage Armor
Move action : continuing toward the trees with Nimroth

Mr. X
2014-08-19, 12:28 PM
The thundering of the boars' hooves can be felt in the earth now, and the roars of the orks' echo in your ears...

They are going to easily overtake you.

Keledrath, it's your turn.

Vhaidara
2014-08-19, 12:45 PM
Peering into the distance, the older elf swears under his breath. Orks have no respect for their betters. Well, he had best save these poor elves. And besides, boar is a delicacy.

He raises the Oathbow, muttering the words he had found focused his mind into the distance.
Scio, Didici, Pecto.
With that, his quarry suddenly seems much nearer. He pulls back the string, and looses the arrow.

Swift: Cast Guided Shot. For 1 round, I ignore range penalties and any cover less than total.
Standard: Fire at O1, Overdraw for 1
Attack: [roll0]
Critical Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]
Move: Null

Stanr
2014-08-19, 01:12 PM
Ahthosar stands as Elyne leads Nimroch away, toward the trees. He looks back and forth between the thicket and the warband of orks, considering his options. With a focused eye, he places two hands on the ground and mutters an Elvish incantation. The tall grass sways around his arms, then begins to bend toward the orks, as if blown by a strong gust of wind. Once the spell reaches them, the grass beneath them begins to twist and writhe, grasping at the legs of their mounts. Once the incantation is complete, he runs headlong toward Elyne and Nimroch.

Standard Action: cast entangle
Move Action: move toward Elyne and Nimroch

Mr. X
2014-08-19, 06:41 PM
Ork Ride saves vs. Entangle(DC 14):

O1: [roll0]
O2: [roll1]
O3: [roll2]
O4: [roll3]
O5: [roll4]
O6: [roll5]

As Ahthosar's magic reaches the charging boars, a feathered shaft suddenly sprouts from the shoulder of the nearest Ork, knocking him off balance, as the grass comes alive and entwines and grips at the ankles of the boars.

Three of the beasts' legs are hopelessly caught, causing them to plow full tilt into the ground, and throwing their riders flailing into the earth...

The other three manage to pull up, and rip free from the grasping grasses, but their pace is considerably slowed.

Rhastanna, it is your turn.

(See OOC for orks' falling damage.)

tonberryking
2014-08-20, 09:53 AM
Rastanna doesn't need much prompting as she screams holy hell in response and spurs her dark mare forward, ripping Maple free in the process. She drives through the fields to reign in in front of the elves and their own downed horse, though the look on her face grows incredulous as other Good Samaritans reveal their own hands... She even barks a harsh laugh at the sight of the vines coming free from the earth.

To the elves below her, she gives an even look. "When I dismount, take my horse and flee towards the trees! This is warrior's work to be done here!"

There is a chance that I won't be able to post again until tomorrow morning, due to life/work. As such, on her next turn, Rastanna plans to just dismount/put on her shield and take a defensive stance, and let Victims A and B take her horse. Presumably she will be a more enticing target. On her third turn/whenever the first orc starts attack, she will enter rage.

Macros
2014-08-20, 10:38 AM
Finding help from two different sources had been a more than welcome surprise. The elven warrior's advice seemed wise, and her tone suffered no retort, yet...

"I'm sorry, but I wont leave anyone behind."

With several waves of her sword, she called forth her strongest defensive magic, adding another layer of protection to her spells, before summoning illusory images around her, before readying herself to stand her ground. Letting strangers endanger themselves on her account without standing beside them was simply not acceptable.

Free action : making a Nature Check to gain bonuses with Knowledge Devotion : [roll0]
Swift action : casting Shield
Standard action : expand 2 sorcerer spell slot to cast Mirror Image : [roll1] illusory double
Move action : moves to the side of Rastanna

Mr. X
2014-08-20, 07:44 PM
Elyne's person fragments into a crowd of twin forms, and Rastanna reins up, when suddenly the orks are upon you...

Ork3 Rage. Ride check, DC 10: [roll0].
If Success, Attack Elyne (1=correct image) [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Boar2 Attack vs. Elyne:
1=Correct Image: [roll4]
Attack(Gore):
[roll5]
Damage:
[roll6]

Ork2, Rage. Ride check, DC 10: [roll7]
If success, Attack vs. Rastanna:
Attack:
[roll8]
Damage:
[roll9]

Boar3 vs. Rastanna's Horse:
Attack(Gore):
[roll10]
Damage:
[roll11]

Boar5 Attack vs. Ahthosar:
Attack:
[roll12]
Damage:
[roll13]

If miss, Ork5, Rage. Ride Check, DC 10: [roll14]
If success, Attack vs. Ahthosar:
[roll15]
Damage:
[roll16]

The first of the boars scrapes along the side of Rastanna's horse, its tusks nearly gutting the poor creature, even as Rastanna turns the Ork's brutal blow aside with her shield.

Elyne takes a hurried step back, as boar and ork alike smash into her illusions, ripping through them like so much paper, while behind, a boar impales Ahthosar on it's tusks, lifting the man off his feet, and tossing him several feet backwards... By some miracle, he survives, and even regains his feet.

Behind, one of the orks manages to rip free from the clinging vines, and moves to mount the nearest, still entangled boar... further back, one of the other boars has ripped free, but without a rider to direct it, seems to have lost interest in the fray.

Ahthosar, you've taken 13 damage.
Rastanna's Horse has taken 13 damage also.

Rather than acting for Rastanna, I am going to hold her action for the moment.

@Tonberrieking:
If we finish the round before you are able to return, I shall act for you. Otherwise, you may take your action at anytime.

Keledrath, you may take your turn.

The Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Orks2_zps2aca52dd.jpg

tonberryking
2014-08-20, 09:42 PM
Flying into a rage, and nearly flying from her saddle when her horse is struck, Rastanna brandishes her sword over her head in a perfect arc before swinging the heavy blade at the stupid greenskin who tried to slay her horse. Her body seems to build muscle upon muscle in an instant, knotting like a living oak, her hair seeming to turn blood red in sheen... Yeah, she's pretty upset over this turn of events.

Attacking Ork3. How much HP does the horse have left? Do I just use average?

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

Vhaidara
2014-08-20, 09:53 PM
Keledrath mutters the words again, maintaining the magic
Scio, Didici, Pecto.
He inhales, and exhales as he launches another arrow at the clustered orcs.

I'm assuming they're still at least 1 range increment out. If that isn't the case, ignore the spell, since that's what it's for.
Swift: Guided Shot
Standard: Attack O2, Overdraw 1 if not raging, 3 if raging
Attack: [roll0] +2 if not raging
Crit: [roll1] +2 if not raging
Damage: [roll2] -4 if not raging
Crit Damage: [roll3] -8 if not raging

Mr. X
2014-08-20, 11:32 PM
Rastanna's long blade whips out, carving a burning line up the chest of her assailant... The Ork roars in pain, but only re-doubles its fury.

At the same time, a whisper is heard on the wind...
Swift defeat unto mine enemies...
... And another arrow streaks from somewhere over the trees, catching the Ork near Elyne at the base of the neck, and burying itself deep into the muscle of the hulking beast...

Behind it's blazing eyes, the Ork does not even appear to notice.

Ahthosar, it is your turn.

Stanr
2014-08-21, 12:36 AM
Ahthosar yells out in pain as the boar's monstrous tusk wrenches him into the air. When he hits the ground a few feet away, he grunts and groans, but manages to stumble to his feet. After spitting out an unhealthy amount of blood, and pulling a blood-soaked hand away from his gut, he considers his options. I do not have the energy to cast another spell... and if I stand and fight, I will surely die. I must run. He first takes a quick step backwards, dodging the boar's wildly swinging tusks, then turns and sprints headlong toward the cover of the wooded thicket to the south. As he passes his steed, Nimroch, Ahthosar whistles sharply and signals the beast to follow him.

Full action to withdraw towards the woods, free action to handle animal, causing him to follow.

Macros
2014-08-21, 05:26 AM
This... is bad.

Chaos seemed to reign on the battlefield. Never before did Elyne cast spells this fast,drawing as much power from the Sun as she could, Fallen Star creating rune after rune in the blink of an eye. She knew she could not keep up this rythm for long, but each incantation might give them a little more time, a little more space... Taking a step back to disengage, she first tried to make the boars tumble by changing the very nature of the ground under their feets, before aiming at another one a white ray to weaken his mind. Such a spell should be enough to fell the beast instantly, but they were still many more...

Move action : 5ft-step to break contact ; if that's not possible... I'll take the AoO.

Standard action : casts Grease (DC17). Without seeing the map, it's hard to have a clear idea, but I guess the two who attacked Elyne and Rastanna's horse should be close enough to each others to get hit? If those seeing the map feel there's a better option, I'm all ears.

Swift action : using my last auto-quicken to cast Ray of Stupidity (burning two other sorcerer spells slots) vs the boar who attacked Ahthosar.

Touch attack :[roll0]
INT damage (probably not necessary to roll if I hit, but let's do things the right way) : [roll1]

Mr. X
2014-08-22, 12:54 AM
Blood pouring down his front, Ahthosar turns and flees from the boar. Catching up with Nimrock, and slapping the horse on its rump, he leaps... But his foot slips in the grass, upsetting his takeoff... But in that moment, a flood of emotion washes over him, Fear, love, support, and Nimroch dances sideways, dipping slightly, and catching Ahthosar solidly in his saddle.

Behind the Boar mounted Ork bears down on them, frothing at the mouth and wildly swinging its axe, while the boar charges head down and tusks out, when an explosion of light seers past, catching the boar in the eyes... The beast shrieks and squeals, rearing up sharply, as Ahthosar puts his heels into Nimroch's sides, and galloping away.

Behind, the Ork is thrown from his saddle, before the Boar, blind and insane, spins madly, lashing out at anything in reach, and finds him...

Ork5 Falling damage:
[roll0]

Boar5 Attack vs. Ork5
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]

Ork 5 Fends off Boar5
[roll3]
Damage:
[roll4]

Ork2 Attack vs. Elyne image:
1=correct image: [roll5]
Attack:
[roll6]
Damage:[roll7]

Boar 2 Attack vs. Elyne image:
1=correct image: [roll8]
[roll9]
Damage:
[roll10]

Ork3 Attack vs. Rastanna:
[roll11]
Damage:
[roll12]

Boar1 Str check vs Entangle, DC 20 (+2 for Aid Another from Ork6):
[roll13]

Boar6 Str Check vs Entangle:
[roll14]

Ork4 Str Check vs Entangle:
[roll15]

Spurring his mount forward, Rastanna's Ork deals her a parting blow as his boar disengages, circling around to charge once more... She manages to catch the blow on her shield, but the beast's freakish strength knocks the guard back into her face, it's blunt edge opening a wide wound.

Ahead, Elyne, disengaged from her direct foe, watches her handiwork as two more of her images are shattered by the enraged Ork and boar... The two floundering in the oil-slick only for a moment.

Rastanna, it is your turn.

tonberryking
2014-08-23, 11:19 AM
Her face covered in blood and her mind completely over the edge with rage, Rastanna doesn't put up with this "overpowering" crap. kicking her horse regretfully hard into action, she charges the ork before he can do the same back to her, racing across the field in a line before hammer-swinging her sword down at his ugly brutish head.

Well, lower the AC by another two points, it's time for a charge:

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

Mr. X
2014-08-23, 11:27 AM
Maple lashes out, catching the Ork beneath the chin just as he turns around, and sending his head flying into the grass, as his body crumples to the ground.

Keledrath, it is your turn.

Vhaidara
2014-08-23, 11:47 AM
Again, Keledrath mutters his words, the strain of maintaining the spell beginning to make sweat bead on his forehead.
Scio, Didici, Pecto.
Another shaft, another ork.

Standard: Attack whichever Ork is closest and uninjured. Not sure which ones are still standing.. Overdraw 3.
Crit: [roll1]
Crit: [roll3]

Mr. X
2014-08-23, 12:17 PM
Behind, among the writhing grasses, another arrow catches the recovering Ork even as he attempts to remount... Striking him through the eye, and felling him like a pile of rocks.

Ahthosar, It is your turn.

Ork2, swinging at Elyne's clones, is alive, but wounded. His mount is unharmed.

Behind you, Boar5, who went insane, writhes drooling and slobbering on the ground, wounded from where the Ork tried to fend it off.

To the North, Ork4 has just broken free from the entangling grasses, and is moving towards Boar4 to attempt to remount.

Orks 1, 3, 5, and 6 are dead.

Boar 5 is insane and wounded.

Boars 4 and 1 have broken free of the entangling grasses, and are unwounded. However without riders, appear to have lost direct interest in the combat, and are content to merely snuffle around.

Boar 3 no-longer has a rider, but has tasted blood, and is directly engaged. It will continue to viciously attack.

A quick sketch of the Map:

I am at work, and so did this in a hurry... I hope that it does not only confuse things further. (Feel free to ignore it, if you can't make sense of it.)

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Mobile%20Uploads/1408813879_zps62e99319.jpg

E1 is Elyne
E2 and E3 are her images.

Stanr
2014-08-23, 02:20 PM
Now back in the saddle, Ahthosar turns quickly in place to survey the battlefield. He sees Elyne gored by a boar, and his heart falters. She flickers out of existence... wait. An illusion only. For a moment, he considers using his longbow to aid her, but with her being so close to the ork, he decides against it. Too great a risk. Spurring his horse headlong in that direction, he draws his longsword from its sheath at his side, and swings it in a diagonal slash across the ork's body.

Charge toward O2/B2.
Attack (4 from BAB, 1 from MW, 2 from charge, 1 from mounted):
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]
Also take -2 to AC.

Mr. X
2014-08-23, 06:08 PM
Nimroch surges forward, and Ahthosar swings heavily at the beast, landing a solid blow. The reverb travels up his wrist and arm, nearly causing him to drop his blade, as the Ork spins on him... Blood oozing from its chest, but unrelenting, none the less...

Boars
1: [roll0]
4: [roll1]
6: [roll2]

Ork4 reflex:
[roll3]

Macros
2014-08-24, 02:17 AM
Only a handful of her illusions remained now. The young mage had often heard elves deriding the orc's fighting style, calling it "all brute strength without any kind of finesse and grace". Now that she could see it first hand, she could say it was true... and that it was nonetheless deadly. Without her magic to supplement her defenses, it was likely she would be dead right now.

Elyne's eyes widened when she saw Ahthosar at her side, engaging the hulking brute despite his wounds. She wanted to call that reckless... but would probably have done the same, where the positions reversed. The least she could do, then, was to try to take advantage from the opening he just gave her. Ducking below another wide blow, she sidestepped to catch the orc out of position, before unleashing a quick thrust from her rapier, hoping to catch her opponent in the throat.

Move action : 5ft step to try to get a flanking position

Standard action : attacking the mounted orc
- attack roll : [roll0] (+2 if flank available)
- confirm critical (if relevant) : [roll1] (+2 if flank available)
- damage roll : [roll2]

Mr. X
2014-08-24, 02:10 PM
Leaping into the air to reach her foe, the tip of Elyne's blade neatly punctures the flesh behind the ork's jaw, and drives up into the beast's brain... Causing him to twitch and seize, before toppling already dead...

But even before she is able to land, the boar whirls on her...

Boar2 attack vs. Elyne:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Boar3 Attack vs. Rastanna's Horse:
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]

Boar6 Str Check vs. Entangle (DC, 20)
[roll4]

... The boar's tusks catching her in her side, and ripping through both her protective enchantments and her flesh...

Behind, there is a sharp, whinnying scream, and Rastanna's horse topples to the ground, sending it's rider tumbling...

Off to the North, the final Ork manages to mount up, but wheels his boar, and flees off into the distance.

For Rastanna:

Please make a Ride Check, DC 15, or a Reflex Save, DC 15, to make a soft landing as you fall from your mount. If you fail, take 1d6 damage (rolled in the OOC).

It is your turn.

tonberryking
2014-08-24, 04:22 PM
[roll0]

Rastanna yells in fury as her horse tumbles dead. She liked that one; the mare never tried to bite her and she had made a decent enough pillow lying down when she yearned for rest under an open sky. But a primal part of her that goes beyond her rage desires something of this boar. If those pesky orks can ride one... so could she!

Mr. X
2014-08-25, 12:38 AM
Dancing sidewise around the boar, Rastanna goes for the saddle.

The boar twists sideways as she does, hooking her side with a tusk, and tearing open a terrible wound.

Even so, she manages to catch the saddle horn, and get her foot into the stirrup, and she pulls herself up onto the beast's back.

Keledrath, it is your turn.

Vhaidara
2014-08-25, 04:42 AM
Keledrath sights down the final Ork, continuing his deadly chant.
Scio, Didici, Pecto.
The arrow flies towards the final foe.

Standard: Attack Ork4, Overdraw 3
Crit: [roll1]
Crit: [roll3]

Mr. X
2014-08-25, 10:18 AM
A final arrow streaks through the air, and off in the distance, the Ork topples from his saddle.

Elyne, it is your turn.

Macros
2014-08-25, 10:39 AM
(Isn't it Ahthosar's turn?)

Clutching her wounded ribs with her free hand, Elyne tried to fight through the pain to focus. Almost... this fight was almost done! Just a little...

Uh, is that girl riding the boar? What in the...

Shaking her head, the young mage turned back toward more pressing matters, like that other boar who seemed decided to rip her appart. Taking another step back to evade, she called upon her dwindling magic reserves for another ray of light. An unprepared mind couldn't handle well the pale light of Demon, as another boar has learned. She hoped this one wouldn't enter in a mad rage, though. Raising a shaking hand, Elyne aimed for the creature...

Move action : 5ft step to disengage

Standard action : expending my last level 1s spell slots (1 wizard and 1 sorcerer) to cast Ray of Stupidity on the boar who just wounded me
Ranged touch attack : [roll0]
INT damage : [roll1]

Stanr
2014-08-25, 12:13 PM
With the death of the final Ork, Ahthosar purveys the field of battle once more. He sees now that the warrior-Elf riding the boar is dangerously wounded, so he quickly makes his way towards her, rousing Nimroch to move faster. Once he has reached her, he quickly dismounts, not even waiting for his horse to come to a full stop. The druid pulls Rastanna from her new-found steed, and lays her on the ground. Muttering an incantation, he pulls a waterskin from his pack and uses it to wash her wounds. Next, he pulls a few herbs from a pouch at his belt, crushing them in his hand before placing them along the major lacerations. "This should help..." Finally, he weaves his hands together and places them over her abdomen, whispering magical words.

Cast cure light wounds. (roll in OoC thread)

Now that the final Ork has been killed, Ahthosar sheaths his longsword at his hip and jumps down from his horse, landing lightly in the tall grass. After muttering a few Elvish words under his breath, he moves slowly toward the boar, meeting its gaze. When he is close enough, the druid calmly raises his hands and begins whispering soothing phrases in a quiet tongue. "You are safe now. No harm is meant to you."

Cast guidance, use it on Handle Animal check.
[roll0]

tonberryking
2014-08-25, 05:10 PM
Rastanna is easily pulled from the saddle as she is basically unconscious in the act. Her rage spent and the fires of fury took her tenacity with it, though it must be said, she seems to refuse to let go of either sword nor shield (especially the former) once the healing magic finds its way into her.

"Th-that's my boar you're talking to, friend..." she groans, struggling to sit up. Her wounds are still showing (heavily) and she's painted with ork and elf blood, but something may tell Ahthosar that she won't cater to staying down for long...

Vhaidara
2014-08-25, 05:28 PM
Keledrath drops from the tree and begins to approach the group, intent on retrieving his arrows if he can. As he approaches, he recognizes the healer.
Ahthosar, is that you?

Rolling to see if the arrows broke. Over 50 = intact
1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]
3: [roll2]
4: [roll3]

Stanr
2014-08-25, 05:49 PM
Ahthosar frowns with disapproval as Rastanna sits up, though she seems too willful to stop. "You should not move too much. It does your injuries no good." At this point he stands, and hears Keledrath address him. The druid turns, greeting the archer with a surprised smile and a grasp of the hand. "Well met, friend. It was good you were here. I fear Elyne and I would not have lasted long on our own. I trust you are well?" While he awaits a response, Ahthosar begins to wash his own wounds, pouring water over them and wrapping with clean linen. During this, he glances towards Elyne to make sure that she is not hurt too badly.

Vhaidara
2014-08-25, 05:53 PM
Indeed. They were good target practice. How are the other two?
He motions to Rastanna
She is completely insane, as far as I can tell.

Stanr
2014-08-25, 06:06 PM
Ahthosar smirks at the comment. "Is she?" He turns back to Rastanna, considering her for a long moment before responding. "I do not think so. Not insane. Merely too brave by half." He smiles, then begins to pack away his supplies before slinging his backpack over his shoulders. "In that sense, a virtue. I am going to check on Elyne. She was wounded in the skirmish." Ahthosar clicks his tongue, and his loyal steed follows. He pets the creature's neck as it follows along beside him, back over to where Elyne fought her battle. Once there, he offers to dress her wounds in the same manner he did his own and Rastanna's.

Vhaidara
2014-08-25, 06:14 PM
The archer returns the smirk.
Fair point. I suppose she is brave, if only because she survived.
He looks at the remaining boars.
What should we do with them? I fear that even without their riders they may still be a threat.

Stanr
2014-08-25, 06:22 PM
Ahthosar glances at the remaining boars. The ones that have not been stupefied are content to graze and forage about. "These beasts are only as dangerous as their masters. Of course, like any creature, they will defend their territory and their young, but they are no threat to us now." He pauses, continuing to watch the animals mill about. His own horse begins to graze as well. All his focus is on the boars, noticing their habits. It is a few long moments before he continues speaking. "I will study one, of course. It will have to be put down. Any of the others can be tamed, I imagine. Even the orks have managed to do so, after all."

tonberryking
2014-08-25, 06:38 PM
"Ill move when I've a mind to do so!" Rastanna says, using her shield as a lever to hoist herself up. In spite of the effort required, she wipes her sword clean using the tunic of her beheaded ork.

"And I'm as sane as any warrior who'd won their battle," she snarls Keledrath's way, "Though I perhaps yeild to the suggestion that the loss of my horse got me a little riled. Which is why I intend to take that damn boar off your healer friend's hands once I stop walking funny...He's mine by right of combat."

Stanr
2014-08-25, 06:45 PM
Ahthosar smiles at the girl and her ferocity. "You are certainly welcome to the creature, if you can tame it. I have no wish to rob you of your spoils. Just do be careful."

Vhaidara
2014-08-25, 06:59 PM
Keledrath arches an eyebrow at the young berserker.
I suppose that means I have earned four of them.
He turns to Ahthosar
What would you do if you came into the possession of four very large boars?

Stanr
2014-08-25, 08:05 PM
"Have you earned them? You killed many orks, surely, and for that we are grateful. I am sure our new friend would tell you, however, that it was without risk to your own person. I believe, in her mind, the reward of risk is the spoil of battle." He continues to wash Elyne's wounds, if she had consented to that. "Regardless, I am not interested in the finer details of looting. You are welcome to them. As I said, I will require one for my studies. Our friend will keep one for herself, it seems. The others are little concern of mine. They can easily be set free, since the plains are their natural habitat, or captured and tamed, since they are easily domesticated--though I doubt you will be able to manage more than one. Had Nimroch been wounded, I would have taken one for my own." With the injuries tended to, he caps his waterskin and places it back in his pack, followed by the remaining linens.

Once done, he has time for introductions. He turns to the she-warrior and formally greets her. "Well met. My name is Ahthosar Elesparan, druid and natural philosopher. Your combat prowess is impressive, and your tenacity even more so. What brings you north of the Forest?" As an aside, he turns to Keledrath and says, "I might ask you the same question, friend."

tonberryking
2014-08-26, 12:15 AM
"Rastanna Sevenleaf. I'm little more than a berseker blade but the world is still young and unexplored to me, for I came this way merely on the advice of an elder after I was done slaying alongside some Wardens. Though if you can spare the healing, as brave as I am, I'm not stupid enough to try to mount the boar again when I can barely stand. Though d'you think feeding it some of the remains of his former rider will charm him to me, or would that just set a bad precedent?"

Hey, at least she's honest.

Macros
2014-08-26, 05:36 AM
The fight had left Elyne drained. With most of her magic expanded, and a nasty wound to the stomach, she needed a bit of time to recover, head too dizzy to really follow the beginning of the conversation.Only when she felt herself strong enough to stand did she join them, shooting a grateful look to Ahthosar for his assistance.

"Ah... I wouldn't know about that, though the smell of blood seem to provoke... strong reactions. Be careful though, those boars did not seem overly loyal to their previous riders."

That last sentence was said while looking toward the orc gutted by his own mount. Though she supposed the beast couldn't really be blamed ; she was the one who broke his mind, a deed that didn't make her feel any pride.

"Anyway, I thank you two for your timely assistance. I am Elyne Sunrider, a... student of magic, I suppose. I was travelling with Ahthosar before we were ambushed."

Vhaidara
2014-08-26, 06:38 AM
Keledrath unstrings his bow as he speaks.
Keledrath Ebrelon. An Elder sent me this way. Doubtless forseeing this event.
He glances at the unconscious boar.
I think you'll want that one, Ahthosar. It should give you the least trouble. Though transporting it will be a challenge. These things are massive

Macros
2014-08-26, 10:40 AM
Elyne scratched her head, sounding ashamed of herself.

"Yes, sorry about that... I guess that we could try to find an healer but... Perhaps it would be better to make it our next meal, given his condition."

In the heat of battle, it had seemed like her best option, but now... She doubted they could drag it with them, and leaving it to its fate, probably agonizing for days without being able to do anything, seemed... cruel.

"By the way, Ahthosar, you know each other?"

Stanr
2014-08-26, 11:49 AM
Ahthosar first responds to Rastanna's question. "These boars are omnivorous, so they will indeed devour flesh. They are primarily scavengers, rather than predators, so I do not think they will be opposed to eating someone else's kill... if you have the stomach to feed it to them, that is. When not in a battle fury, these creatures are generally docile. We need not fear them now, I believe." He pauses to pet Nimroch, then produces an apple from a pocket in his dark woolen cloak and feeds it to the horse.

Next, he turns to Keledrath, and then glances at the unconscious boar. "Indeed, I will probably put this one down. Once that is done, I mean to drag it into that thicket there for a cursory study. I do not yet mean to return to my laboratory--I was sent this way by an Elder as well. I am travelling north, to the Lake, to study a certain flower." Ahthosar places a hand into a pocket of his green woolen vest, and it emerges holding a delicate blue flower. "This is the one. Its growth has been troubled as of late. Perhaps the soil and fauna of the region surrounding the Lake will set it to rights."

After putting the flower away, he answers Elyne. "Yes. Keledrath on occasion brings me specimens which I am unable to procure on my own."

Macros
2014-08-28, 12:13 AM
Elyne's brows furrowed a bit. The topic had come several times now, and she couldn't help but to find it peculiar.

"And I was tasked with observing what should be a great storm, foretold by the stars, north from there. It seems we were all sent here by Elders, each with a different objective. Isn't it a bit strange?"

Perhaps she was overthinking things. Perhaps it was a coincidence. But it still seemed curious to her. That line of thoughts was interrupted by the movement in her backpack, with a small bird warily coming out, before landing on her shoulder. Through their bond, she could stll feel his anxiety, and she did her best to reassure him. The battle was over, and they were all safe, if a bit hurt.

"Anyway, perhaps we should try to find cover to stop for a while. I don't think most of us are in a good condition to travel right now."

Stanr
2014-08-28, 12:51 AM
Ahthosar nods in agreement. "Strange indeed." He unsheaths his longsword, then walks purposefully toward the nearest stupefied boar. With utmost precision, he slides the sword through the back of the boars skull, near the neck, into the brain. Afterward, the druid wipes his sword on a pant leg and sheaths it, before taking a length of hempen rope from his pack and wrapping it around the boar. He ties the other end to Nimroch, and after a click of the tongue his steed begins dragging the now-dead boar towards the thicket.

"For myself, I could use some rest and a day or a few to study this animal. I imagine this thicket will do, at least for now. We could also discuss our plans, and the Elders--or Elder--that sent us here." Ahthosar waits for agreement from the others before moving towards the trees.

Mr. X
2014-08-28, 01:13 AM
Behind Ahthosar, the group settles into the cover of the thicket.

There, Keledrath makes a small fire to roast the bits of boar that Ahthosar has no need of, and provides a fine meal (Though the boar provides far more meat than you could possibly eat, if you were to butcher the whole beast.)

Keeping close, the days pass without event.

You may all consider yourselves fed, by the Archer-Chef Keledrath. (The light spices make all the difference in the world.)

Anyone who would like to Trance may do so. You may recover your Hit Dice + Your Wisdom Modifier Hit Points per Trance Period (8hrs).

You are free to Trance multiple Periods back to back.

For Stanr:
Without your Laboratory, you will not be able to fully comprehend the workings of the beast... The preliminary study will give you a +3 bonus to your roll when you do get such a specimen back to your lab.

Conversely, if you feel like taking the time (a fair bit would be required), you may construct a new laboratory here, and craft all the tools therein that you might require.

You may also study the anatomy of the Orks, if you so choose.

Macros
2014-08-28, 12:37 PM
Lying in the tall grass, Elyne waited for the sun to set. She needed the rest, and her attempt to work on some new enchantments proved to be vain ; she couldn't focus on her usual research, she had too many things in her head right now. So she rested, letting the light of the dimming sun replenish her magic, and trying to let the earth ease her wounds, while thinking about today's events.

First were her new companions. Each of them had came at the nick of time, and for that, she was grateful. She didn't know them yet, but they seemed nice enough, even if the girl seemed quite... intense. She didn't know if they would continue their travel together, but she hoped so. Today's experience had showed there was safety to be found in numbers.

That leaded to her second point ; orcs so close from elven borders? It wasn't unprecedented, but it couldn't be a good sign. If the orcs tribes were about to mount an attack on elven lands, they should try to warn people back home.

But was there any need? Each elf here seemed to have been led by the hand of an Elder. Did they already know what was happening, and was it a test for each of them? Or was it really a coincidence? She didn't doubt their benevolent intentions, but Elyne found the Elder's usual cryptic ways to often be a source of frustration. This was a conundrum, one that the young mage didn't feel able to solve.

Growing restless, she finally stood up, disturbing Cileath's nap in the process. Her body still hurt a bit, but she was feeling better already. She stepped back toward the camp, with the intent of thanking the mysterious archer for the meal he served them. Given the lack of tools at their disposal, what he did with the dishes was nothing short of amazing. And it would be an occasion to know him a bit better.

Vhaidara
2014-08-28, 02:46 PM
Not having been injured, Keledrath is awake, keeping watch for the night in case more orks came hunting.

Macros
2014-08-28, 03:29 PM
Elyne had no trouble finding the archer in his vigil.

"Huum... Keledrath, was it? I wanted to thank you for the meal before. You have a real knack for this you know? Oh, also, thank you for the rescue before... but I already said that, didn't I?"

Sitting back again to not strain herself, Elyne fixed her gaze on the darkening sky. Already the first stars were beginning to appear. Already the light of Titan was beginning to shine, and the others would follow soon enough. She wondered, if she focused again, would she be able to see what the Elder had told her?

"Anyway, how did you meet Ahthosar? He told us you brought him... specimens, is that it?"

When night will be deep enough, I'd like to try an astrology check again, see if I can pick up something.

[roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-08-28, 09:39 PM
He nods.
I spent five centuries learning every step of preparing my meals, from the growing of trees for arrows and the cultivation of herbs to the actual acts of hunting and cooking. Lately, I've been hunting more exotic prey, so Ahthosar and I found a good relationship. The parts he's concerned with I am willing to part with.

Stanr
2014-08-29, 02:06 AM
While Keledrath stands watch and Elyne accompanies him, Ahthosar enters a trance. He sits at the base of a tall, proud evergreen, eyes closed and legs crossed. His heartbeat slows to a crawl as his thoughts wind down. The sun sets and rises before he snaps back into reality, and when he does he feels invigorated. After rising and stretching, he begins preliminary inspections of the boar. Though he doesn't have access to his full laboratory, he does have enough tools to perform a simple dissection. Ahthosar rifles through his pack, removing blades of various shapes and sizes, along with other medical tools. Once the equipment is laid out, he begins the study. An initial slice just below the neck, which he extends down to the creature's groin, reveals organs, muscles, and bone. Before continuing, he removes parchments, inks, and a pen from his pack, and begins taking copious notes...

Once the study is done, Ahthosar finds Nimroch, mounts him, and exits the thicket. He trots around the battlefield, searching for the ork which is the least damaged--perhaps one that simply had its brain pierced by an arrow, with no sword or tusk wounds. When he finds a suitable specimen, he tosses it over Nimroch's rump and returns to the thicket, where he begins a second dissection...

Performing preliminary inspection of the boar and ork. Not gonna create a laboratory here, don't wanna burn up too much time.

tonberryking
2014-08-29, 10:46 AM
Rastanna displays a good bit of effort before she even begins to think about trancing. Giving the boar she's claimed a cautionary glare, she takes its reigns and gently tugs it along past where her original steed now lay. Damn, that was a fine mare; but such is the way of things... She only pauses long enough to recover a bundle of stone-tipped javelins, and places them over the boars back before leading him on. In the glade she tethers the boar to a sizably thick tree, only to leave once more, limping away back the way she came.

She returns even more bloody than before, with what are probably-- to the horror of the others-- ork 'steaks' that she tosses the boar's way. She wants him very well fed and docile until she's up to full speed again, if anyone asks why she's doing something so barbaric, before finally quitting the world, her armor, and her waking state as she trances in the boughs of a tree, sword across her lap.

She hopes it's a nice trance; it's going to be hell on her when she has to bury her horse afterwards...

[roll0] A handle animal check on the boar--if it's necessary-- to keep him in line, but in general, she's not taking too many chances beyond tethering him and removing the saddle before eventually feeding him.

[roll1] search check on the dead orks for swag, weapons, etc. She took a brace (6) of javelins from the original orks she killed in the prologue.

Assuming the boar doesn't kill her or anything, I'm gonna spend the next day digging a grave for her dead mare; Rastanna's too tired to exert herself.

Macros
2014-08-31, 04:35 PM
Elyne shot the hunter a curious look.

"More exotic preys? That sounds interesting. What would be the strangest thing you have ever seen?"

Her attention is distracted by the various activities of their other companions. Apparently, each of them decided it was time to slice up some dead orc... though probably not for the same reasons. She briefly wonders what kind of animal could eat that. Being carnivorous is one thing, but eating an orc... Ew.

Mr. X
2014-09-03, 12:25 AM
While Ahthosar conducts his studies, and Elyne and Keledrath converse about strange and wondrous creatures, Rastanna attempts to approach, and endear herself to the boar she captured.

The days and nights pass easily, the boar being regularly fed, Ahthosar up to his elbows in Ork blood as his dissections progress, Keledrath keeping a steady watch, and Elyne lying easily back in the high branches, watching the sky spin above her.

The sun is bright, when Keledrath suddenly realizes that Rastanna is missing... And so is the boar... It's tether torn free...

... In that same moment, a high pitched shriek is heard from the plain, and the part rushes forth, fearing the worst...

... They arrive to late... They find Rahstanna pinned beneath the beast's snout, screeching and howling as the boar heavily drives its nose and tusks into her belly...

... When you suddenly realize that she is laughing... And there isn't any blood...

For Elyne:

Heeding the Elder's advice, you keep a steady eye on the stars.

There are so many that at first it is difficult to focus on the task, and you nearly give up... But gradually, you begin to make sense of the overarching patterns, and how the movements of the planets shift (ever so slightly) from day to day, as they cross the sky and interact with one another and the constellations...

... But there... You've been watching these last few days, and a new star has appeared... Dim, but growing slowly brighter, and just now beginning to show signs of a tail...

... A comet...

... Appearing almost directly in line with the direction of the Lake, and now, appearing to move ever so slightly westward... Towards the Northern Peninsula, against the flight of the Sparrow...

... The Elder spoke dismissively of omens, but this can truly be nothing else...

There must be more to the coming storm than mere winds and rain.

tonberryking
2014-09-03, 12:40 AM
Rastanna is pretty pleased with herself even as she thumps the boar's snout a few times with her knuckles.

Get off me, Onga, you bloody fat ass!" she says without a hint of malice, only mirth before, should the boar get up, she slams against him playfully. ...Of course, he bowls her over when he bumps back, but she laughs this off pretty handily. Birds of a feather, apparently, as the boar follows Rastanna around until she shoo's him off (after several attempts by each of them to knock the other down) and she gets to whatever camp duties she was given.

Mr. X
2014-09-04, 04:00 PM
Their activities complete, the newly formed party continues on towards the lake.

It is only a short while before the slopes of the great caldera become visible, and a short while longer before the party reaches their crest.

... They say that at the dawn of time there was a terrible war between the heavens and the hells, and it was that war that created and shaped this earth.

At that time, the very ground you now stand upon was an immense volcanic vent... A gate into the very pit of the Hells, choking the heavens with noxious gasses, scorching the lands with floods of burning magma, and vomiting forth legions upon legions of demonic horrors to do battle with the celestial forces above...

At the whim of the hellish barons the mountain grew ever more violent, and during a great battle over its peak, it erupted with devestating force... Spewing billions of tons molten stone and ash into the heavens, choking the skies, and scouring clean the earth... But so terrible was the explosion that the very mountain itself was undone, collapsing in upon itself into a flaming sea of fire and molten stone that yet continued to boil as the mountain attempted to rise again...

But the heavens saw their chance and took it... The floodgates of the skies were opened, pouring down their cooling waters upon fires so hot that even the ice and snows burned...

... The event marked the end of the war... So spent were either side that neither could directly effect the earthly plane any longer...

When the smoke and ash finally cleared, a great lake sat where the mountain once stood... It's pure, crystalline waters a touch of heaven upon the earth... In its middle, a jagged volcanic spire, reaching up to the sky, testament to where the hells had fought to the very last, that, yet to this day, continues to burn...

... As you stand gazing over the downward slopes, now green with grasses and foliage, over the crystalline waters, so peaceful and colored so deep blue, the barest hint of sulfur reaches your nostrils... Far below, a thin wisp of smoke curls from the peak of the island in the Lake...

Even at this distance, you all can feel that the island is a place of immense, untapped, natural power.

Macros
2014-09-04, 04:31 PM
Elyne had been unusually silent for most of the travel, her mind burdened with worries and doubts. What she saw in the sky last night was a cause for alarm... or was it? She trusted her instinct, but she also trusted the Elders. The one she talked to didn't seem worried in the least, and was far more experienced than her in the art of divination. And yet... and yet she was certain of what she saw. Almost. The worst part was not being able to talk about it with her current company. She doubted saying she saw an ominous sign in the stars would be taken seriously, not when she had so little to work with, and almost no experience in that domain. So she remained quiet, lost in her thoughts.

That changed, though, when they arrived near the lake. Elyne had to admit, that was one of the most breathtaking sight she knew of. A place were fire, earth, air and water were joined together in harmony was rare indeed, and the simple feel in the air around this place was enough to awaken her curiosity. The young mage liked to think she was a disciplined adult (well, she tried), but right now, it took all her self control to refrain herself from jumping up and down like a kid, her eyes alight with excitement.

"Oooh, we have to go near that island. Come on, let's hurry!"

Thoughts of stars, elders and storms were now far from her mind. All that mattered right now was the island, and what might lie ahead.

Vhaidara
2014-09-04, 04:42 PM
Keledrath had likewise been silent for the journey. He didn't overly approve of the rambunctious youngling and her boar, but he kept his mouth shut. She was, if nothing else, a good fighter.

When he sees the lake, he recalls the history of the place, and a kind of feral hunger glints in his eyes.

I agree. We must go there. Imagine what the latent magics will have done to the fauna of such a place.

Mr. X
2014-09-08, 10:58 PM
It is still quite some distance from the edge of the caldera to the water's edge, and as the party moves towards it, they remark upon the perfect beauty of the day.

Great, white, billowing clouds drift lazily through the clear blue sky, while the heat if the brilliant sun is mitigated by a cool breeze off the water.

Macros
2014-09-10, 12:50 AM
Hm, this island is actually quite far, isn't it?

Now that they joined the shore, the immensity of the lake was far more obvious. Swimming to the place was out of the question, well, not with mundane means, at least. Building a raft might take too much time... She had to think on this.

"Hey, Ahthosar? Is this the place where you have to plant your flower?"

Knowledge (nature) check, to see if there's anything unusual : [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana) check if there's any remnants of magic remaining around here : [roll1]

OOC : is there any merfolk in this world, and, more importantly, would Elyne know of their existance?

Mr. X
2014-09-10, 01:12 AM
For Elyne:

There is very little here that could truly be called usual, per se. The environment is starkly different from that of the great forest, and by that token, so are the flora and fauna... The trees are of different and unrecognized species, the insects that buzz about are similar, but not the same, as those you are accustomed to, the water is entirely too blue, and too glassily smooth, next to any other body of water (including the ocean) that you've seen, and ever since you left the forest, you still have a somewhat difficult time with the fact that you can see the whole of the sky while standing upon the ground.

To add to all of that, while the air does not crackle with magic, the air feels almost heavy with it... As though laden with heavy pollen during the spring. And like the pollen, the power cannot be grasped from the air, but rather slips away on the eddies of some unfelt breeze.

It might be possible to devise some method to harness the ambient forces, but if such were to be attempted, it really should be attempted upon the island... It is clearly the Source.

OOC:

No mer-folk, or at least none that you know of... You only need a sufficiently large fish for your Alter Self spell to function though. Perhaps you could summon one?

Edit/:
There may be fish in the lake, you could simply try casting a line. ;-)