PDA

View Full Version : Readying Maneuvers like Preparing Spells

CGDG
2014-08-16, 12:06 AM
I'm playing my first martial adept in my first pbp game. I love that it allows an easy to use martial class with a little more oomph than the core fighter. I have been having some growing pains with the classes and now I find myself with another question.

If you are a level one warblade, you have three maneuvers you know and you can ready all of them. However, are you permitted to ready the same maneuver multiple times, akin to how spellcasters can prepare the same spell multiple times?

For example:

I'm a level one warblade. I know three maneuvers and have three readying slots. I know steel wind, steely strike and stone bones. Would I be permitted to ready stone bones three times?

avr
2014-08-16, 12:12 AM
No, you can't ready the same maneuver multiple times.

HunterOfJello
2014-08-16, 12:16 AM
You can't ready a maneuver more than once.

You should probably go reread (or just plain read) the entire Blade Magic section of Tome of Battle. ToB is one of the most often misunderstood books out there and people very often make big mistakes in how maneuvers, initiator level, maneuver level, the readying mechanics, and all sorts of other aspects of the classes work. I made several mistakes when I first started with the book and other people at my table did so too. Take another look at the Blade Magic section and you can likely relieve yourself and your friends of future mishaps.

sideswipe
2014-08-16, 07:07 AM
once you have read it it should work like this, but make sure you understand why before you use it.

you have "maneuver's readied" which act like maneuver slots to make it more akin to magic.
and maneuver's, acting a bit like spells.

you ready an amount of maneuver's known to your maneuver's readied as you would spells to spell slots. you can only ready it once. this is exactly the same as preparing spells but takes less time and you do not need to have an 8 hour rest cycle to do this.
count these then as a "set" of maneuver's that you can use once each until you recharge them.
say you have sapphire nightmare blade, moment of perfect mind and steel wind prepared (as a warblade)
you use sapphire nightmare blade and it becomes inactive until recharged, you still then have the other two "maneuver's readied" with the other readied maneuver's in them to use before you recharge.

when you run out of maneuver's that you have readied and they all become inactive you then cannot use another maneuver until you have recharged them, for a warblade this means using your swift action to start the process and in the same round using your standard action to either flex your weapon and limber up or to make a non maneuver strike against an opponent (other classes vary).

you may recharge if you still have remaining readied maneuvers. you lose those readied maneuvers and your "set" of readied maneuvers is reset to when you originally prepared them.

if you want to change your "prepared set on maneuvers" you can do so at any time, taking the 15 mins (i believe) to re-prepare. again you do not need a rest cycle to do this. (hint, there is a feat that allows you to change prepared maneuvers as a full round action, TAKE THAT! as then it takes 6 seconds at the start of the day and 6 seconds any time in the day, including combat if you don't have the right maneuver readied).

clear enough?