PDA

View Full Version : Divine Smite typo?

Edge of Dreams
2014-08-16, 12:52 AM
Got my hands on PHB. Paladin has Divine Smite - spend a paladin spell slot to add damage to a melee hit. It says 2d8 for a first level spell, plus 1d8 for each higher level, to a max of 5d8. Paladins get up to 5th level spells though.

Could it be a typo starting out at 2d8? Why would the scaling not inclue 5th level spells?It makes more sense to me, and seems more balanced, to have it be a flat 1d8 per spell level.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-16, 01:17 AM
Got my hands on PHB. Paladin has Divine Smite - spend a paladin spell slot to add damage to a melee hit. It says 2d8 for a first level spell, plus 1d8 for each higher level, to a max of 5d8. Paladins get up to 5th level spells though.

Could it be a typo starting out at 2d8? Why would the scaling not inclue 5th level spells?It makes more sense to me, and seems more balanced, to have it be a flat 1d8 per spell level.

Agreed that it's more balanced, but it might just be a balancing factor so even the most desperate Paladins don't have to squander their 5th level slots to get the full effect of the smite off.

borg286
2014-08-16, 09:13 AM
It also could be that a multiclassed paladin can't spend 9th level spell slots. Even with this possibility I still don't see pure "+1d8/spell slot level" as anywhere near OP. +10d8 damage once per day doesn't compare with any 9th level spell.

rlc
2014-08-16, 09:23 AM
6d8 would definitely not be overpowered, but i think they want the paladin to fight just as much as cast spells

andhaira
2014-08-16, 10:57 AM
Good catch.

Doesn't matter much though, by the time Paladin's get 5th level slots they have improved Divine Smite which adds extra 1d8 damage to every hit. Then Pally's can also cast a 5th level smite spell in the same round with the same hit, say Banishing Smite, and do an extra 5d10 force damage (so you can hit intangibles) and also banish them or outright wipe them out if they are an outsider. :)

Paladin's really got some love in 5e, just like they got in 4e. Not only do they get mostly unique spells, nearly all their spells are cast as bonus actions with only a verbal component. And with the Oath Features petering out at level 20, there is incentive not to multiclass a Pally and go all the way to level 20. (level 20 avenging Pallys can become freaking angels for crying out loud) If needed they can alpha strike in a single round by smiting and combining it with a spell smite, which has added effects aside from damage.

Their steed feature is also way better now, now that it is a unique spell. Divine sense is awesome, and the fact that their turning is no longer weak and targets demons and undead is cool. Paladins are really undead and daemon hunters this time around.

The extra oath features are cream on the top, though I wish they were slightly more powerful. Oh well, that's what splats are for.

I do miss the Holy Sword spell though. Anyone care to house rule? :)

(and I wish Miko had got the chance to cast this spell in OOtS before she croaked)