PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Scout + Xeph: Still LA+0?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-16, 11:49 AM
As title. Effective stats as follows:

-4 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha
Small size (+4 hide, +1 AC/atk)
20' move speed
Light fortification
Living construct and psionic subtypes
+2 AC, always light armored
Darkvision 60'
+1 PP
+1 on saves vs spells
3/day, increase speed by 10'+10'/4 levels as competence bonus for 3 rds
Favored class: rogue

I thought about this while considering various races, and in my experience both these races are pretty crappy and underutilized. I thought this might make both of them more attractive, and would make the warforged scout more scouty.

This is just layering both stat blocks over each other: I might consider leaving off the Wis penalty (because scouts gotta perceive, yo), and tossing the bonus PP (and with it the psionic subtype).

Thoughts?

Coidzor
2014-08-16, 12:19 PM
Err... How are you combining them from both a mechanical and fluff standpoint? :smallconfused:

That is... Are you just combining the Xeph statblock with Warforged Scout to get closer to the psionic roots of the fluff or warforged or were actual Xeph involved somehow?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-16, 12:34 PM
I'm mostly doing it because I feel like warforged scouts should be quicker than they are, and my thought process went:
warforged scouts suck at scouting
scouts should be fast
xephs are fast and also suck
what if I combined their stats, would they still suck?

Fluff wise, xephs would no longer exist and warforged scouts would just subsume their stats to become not terrible.

I'm not talking like some terrible warforged/Xeph slashfic wizard-induced hojo-esque pairing. Gross. Have you seen xephs? They look like the Silence had sex with a donkey.

Sian
2014-08-16, 12:41 PM
Thoughts?

Primary thought is something in the lines of "why here and not in homebrew forum?"

Fax Celestis
2014-08-16, 12:48 PM
Because it's not original content, just a mashup of two existing things.

Zombulian
2014-08-16, 01:02 PM
I'd say it's probably still LA +0 yeah. They really are just two terrible races that you can do this >.>

Chronos
2014-08-16, 02:22 PM
Wait, what's terrible about warforged scouts?

sonofzeal
2014-08-16, 02:39 PM
Still looks pretty weak to me, barring a Dex-SAD build, and even then. Goblins have better overall ability score averages, 30' movespeed while Small, and a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently. I'd take a Goblin as a scout over this under most circumstances. Nevermind the weird fluff of making Warforged Scouts naturally psionic...

Fax Celestis
2014-08-16, 03:15 PM
Wait, what's terrible about warforged scouts?

Net -4 on stats (including penalties on scout-related skills), slow speed, loss of natural attack, +2 AC but no scalability.

It's a bad race as, aside from size, everything it provides can be obtained with regular warforged, and regular warforged have additional benefits on top of it.

Coidzor
2014-08-16, 05:12 PM
Net -4 on stats (including penalties on scout-related skills), slow speed, loss of natural attack, +2 AC but no scalability.

It's a bad race as, aside from size, everything it provides can be obtained with regular warforged, and regular warforged have additional benefits on top of it.

I think honestly I'd prefer 30' land speed to 20' land speed and the ability to make it faster 3/day. The net -4 is pretty terrible too, though, yeah.

I think I'd just redo it and bring it more in line with a smaller, maybe even faster(land-speed-wise) Warforged. Depending upon how much the fluff actually has to do with them scouting, might give perception bonuses.

The idea of adding some psionicness intrinsic to Warforged is neat though.