PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How could I make an Eladrin Runepriest work?

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-16, 01:33 PM
I'm deadset on creating an Eladrin Runepriest (basically, a graceful, mobile Runepriest), but the problem is that Eladrin are NOT good Runepriests. He's using a greatspear (Eladrin Soldier feat), and the campaign will probably be at or around level 11.

Could you help me on my quest to create a graceful Runepriest

Kimera757
2014-08-16, 02:33 PM
My campaign has a halfling runepriest. It only works because he considers his attack riders to be more important than damage, and reluctantly stopped using a hammer and started using a dagger for the higher proficiency bonus.

As you're using a spear (+2 proficiency only), you need a feat that lets you use another stat for attacks. Eladrin don't gain a Wisdom or Constitution bonus either, sadly. Alternatively, just drop every point you can into Strength so you'll have a decent attack bonus. Your starting Strength would then be an 18. I would recommend taking Improved Defenses to fill in the holes in your defenses.

GPuzzle
2014-08-16, 03:02 PM
My campaign has a halfling runepriest. It only works because he considers his attack riders to be more important than damage, and reluctantly stopped using a hammer and started using a dagger for the higher proficiency bonus.

As you're using a spear (+2 proficiency only), you need a feat that lets you use another stat for attacks. Eladrin don't gain a Wisdom or Constitution bonus either, sadly. Alternatively, just drop every point you can into Strength so you'll have a decent attack bonus. Your starting Strength would then be an 18. I would recommend taking Improved Defenses to fill in the holes in your defenses.

Greatspear is a +3 proficiency.

Tegu8788
2014-08-16, 03:16 PM
Your race doesn't bump your class stats?

Do it anyway. Just get them as high as you can, and don't worry. The percentage is annoying, but far from crippling. An expertise feat wouldn't hurt, but go ahead and play how you want. The Runepriest is unconventional, but a lot of fun I hear. So have a blast.

Kurald Galain
2014-08-16, 03:38 PM
Your race doesn't bump your class stats?

Do it anyway. Just get them as high as you can, and don't worry. The percentage is annoying, but far from crippling. An expertise feat wouldn't hurt, but go ahead and play how you want.

Indeed. Don't worry about a five percent difference.

Plus you can teleport, how cool is that?

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-16, 04:22 PM
Well, that's made me feel more confident about him! However, I haven't had experience with paragon paths. Could someone suggest a good path?

Epinephrine
2014-08-16, 04:59 PM
Well, that's made me feel more confident about him! However, I haven't had experience with paragon paths. Could someone suggest a good path?

Well, the rune shield path could work with a reach weapon... you protect those adjacent to you while being safe behind your front line? Might be a little dull sometimes, but that's a big bonus to defenses you hand out.

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-16, 05:04 PM
Hmm... Rune Shield is good... but is there a good multi-class paragon path?

Echobeats
2014-08-16, 06:08 PM
You could ask your DM to allow different racial stat boosts as a house rule, to avoid you falling behind the party.

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-16, 06:21 PM
Never mind - I've just discovered the Enlightened Word Paragon Path. PERFECT.

Zaq
2014-08-17, 11:36 AM
The "Truenamers in 4e" link in my signature is my Runepriest Handbook. It's got a hell of a lot of info for you. I'm glad you found Enlightened Word—it's one of the best paths the game has to offer a Runepriest, and it's a lot of fun.

None of an eladrin's stat bumps are Runepriest stats, which kind of sucks (not only are you behind on your primary, but you can't even pick up much slack on your secondary), but maybe you can use your racial bumps to help you qualify for an unusual MC. Monk is a surprisingly good choice for a Runepriest, though if you're starting at 11+ and thus actually have Enlightened Word, you have mobility more or less covered anyway. Maybe Bard, just to open up some interesting power swaps? Paladin is also an interesting choice.

You ARE going to be worse off in accuracy than you would be otherwise, so don't cut any more corners. Get a +3 weapon, get something that will make CA easy, get a theme that boosts accuracy (Noble Adept or Ironwrought), and so on. When it comes time for loot, consider a weapon with a higher bonus over one with a fancy enchantment (for example, a basic +3 Magic Weapon over a +2 Sunblade, or whatever. Can't even remember if Sunblade is available at +2, but the point stands). Hitting is more important than most weapon effects.

You're making a suboptimal choice, but if you play smart, it's not an unplayable choice. Have fun!

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-17, 03:01 PM
The "Truenamers in 4e" link in my signature is my Runepriest Handbook. It's got a hell of a lot of info for you. I'm glad you found Enlightened Word—it's one of the best paths the game has to offer a Runepriest, and it's a lot of fun.

None of an eladrin's stat bumps are Runepriest stats, which kind of sucks (not only are you behind on your primary, but you can't even pick up much slack on your secondary), but maybe you can use your racial bumps to help you qualify for an unusual MC. Monk is a surprisingly good choice for a Runepriest, though if you're starting at 11+ and thus actually have Enlightened Word, you have mobility more or less covered anyway. Maybe Bard, just to open up some interesting power swaps? Paladin is also an interesting choice.

You ARE going to be worse off in accuracy than you would be otherwise, so don't cut any more corners. Get a +3 weapon, get something that will make CA easy, get a theme that boosts accuracy (Noble Adept or Ironwrought), and so on. When it comes time for loot, consider a weapon with a higher bonus over one with a fancy enchantment (for example, a basic +3 Magic Weapon over a +2 Sunblade, or whatever. Can't even remember if Sunblade is available at +2, but the point stands). Hitting is more important than most weapon effects.

You're making a suboptimal choice, but if you play smart, it's not an unplayable choice. Have fun!

Hah, it was your guide that inspired me to play a Runepriest!

EDIT: Flames of Purity isn't a friendly attack, as the guide says.

Zaq
2014-08-18, 12:21 AM
Hey, glad to see someone's getting some use out of it.

Flames of Purity is most definitely friendly. It only targets enemies. PHB3, pg. 102: "Each enemy in blast." Doesn't get friendlier than that.

charcoalninja
2014-08-18, 10:57 AM
I know there was a series of feats or features that would allow a spear using Eladrin to Fey Step as part of a charge, the result being that Fey Step was not expended if the charge attack hit. I thus recommend doing whatever is needed to make this combo a reality as there is very little out there more mobile than teleport based charging.

Tegu8788
2014-08-18, 11:09 AM
That's been nerfed hard.

Zaq
2014-08-18, 11:59 AM
I know there was a series of feats or features that would allow a spear using Eladrin to Fey Step as part of a charge, the result being that Fey Step was not expended if the charge attack hit. I thus recommend doing whatever is needed to make this combo a reality as there is very little out there more mobile than teleport based charging.

Or you could, you know, use your actual class powers. They're not mobile, but they're a hell of a lot more useful than just blinking around doing piddly damage.

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-18, 06:03 PM
That's been nerfed hard.

Pity. That's pretty cool.

GPuzzle
2014-08-18, 07:30 PM
Pity. That's pretty cool.

It was like 3 attacks on a charge with Kulkor. Man, it was painful.

Eladrin Barbarian|Fighter/Swordmages/Kulkor Arms Masters were the evils of the world. Now it's Rebreathers and Brilliant Recovery abusers.

charcoalninja
2014-08-20, 12:26 PM
Or you could, you know, use your actual class powers. They're not mobile, but they're a hell of a lot more useful than just blinking around doing piddly damage.

Yeah funny thing about leaders and Runepriests is that your minor actions don't suck and that your party reaps the benefits of your Runestate when you're right next to them. Very easy and fun to do if you can build in some mobility.