PDA

View Full Version : Lost Rakbasha, my Homebrew Campaign Setting

Ranis
2007-03-06, 12:56 PM
M'kay. I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now, and I do think that this is by far the best community that I've found to introduce this and get concise, experienced people critiquing my work.

I've spent about 5 months creating a world. I'm going to detail it here, briefly, and I'd like your opinions on what you think about my world-what you like, what you don't like, whether you'd play in a campaign with this world, etc etc.

Rakbasha is an enormous cylinder that rotates on it's axis. Seven different suns take turns going through the cylinder, where the Life exists. The Suns colors are : Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Brown, Black, and White. When a Sun is shining during any given day, it pulses a large amount of radial magical energy, which Rakbasha absorbs like a sponge. This actually changes the Divinely Morphic Plane that is Rakbasha into a different plane, depending on the day.

For Example: The Red Sun represents the divine properties of Fire and Chaos. During a Red Sun Day, Rakbasha becomes a Chaotically Aligned Plane of Existence, i.e. All Chaotic Creatures gain a +2 to attack and damage rolls, and +1 CL. All Lawful creatures gain a -2 to attack and damage rolls, and -1CL. This is all in addition to various other things that happen during the day, which I won't bore you all going over.

Also, all inhabitants of Rakbasha have no knowledge of other Planes of existence, or Gods. People beleive that the Suns represent a Divine Ideal, and that is how clerics get their spells. When one dies, their soul becomes a raw portion of the element that their chosen Sun represents, and they become a part of that Sun itself.

Inhabitants believe that all creatures are born with a predisposition toward a certain Sun, and if they do not go toward upholding that Sun's ideals, they instead become a part of the sun opposite of the one they were supposed to deitify, or a part of the Green Sun, whichever fits their soul more appropriately.

I'm also using the Souls as Power variant from the BoVD, and it has helped quite a bit tying off some ends with the world.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. Please, tell me what you think!

Icewalker
2007-03-06, 10:03 PM
Wow, this is an extremely cool idea. It'd cut out a few spells, due to relying on other planes and such, and you would have to remake domains for the suns, but this sounds like a very interesting idea. I'd probably play in it, but I think I could also fit it into my campaign as an additional plane instead of the main and only one, with more focus on it than other planes so I could take full advantage of the changing suns.

I gotta say, this sounds like a very cool idea. You make a reference to the Green Sun for clerics who fail to uphold their ideals but don't have a sun that opposes their Sun. Is the Green Sun focused on nature, or some similar thing?

Ranis
2007-03-06, 10:27 PM
The Green Sun is essentially the neutrality between all of the other Suns, because they represent opposing forces:

Red/Blue: Chaos/Order
Yellow/Brown: Sound/Silence
Black/White: Evil/Good

I allow my clerics to pick and choose their domains based upon the ideals they uphold, as long as they make logical sense, i.e. Destruction and Water as domains really don't make a whole lot of sense. The cleric the party I'm DMing for now chose Destruction and Chaos, and justified it to where it makes sense as a Good character; and I approved everything, so it's all kosher :D

The rest of the source material for all of this is over 4 Word documents, each no less than 6 pages long in double-columns in 10 font. So, this is a very, very basic overlay of the world in general.

And, thanks for the compliment :D

Ranis
2007-03-09, 08:44 AM
Anyone else have any thoughts?