PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Went Down to Georgia IC

horus42
2014-08-16, 04:46 PM
On a Tuesday evening in late August, Robert finds himself in his office, doing a bit of patch-up on Omar. The poor Psychopomp had gotten himself shot over a bag of cocaine, which Robert has now disposed of. After several tense minutes of surgery, it seems as though Omar's going to be fine.

Before the two get more chance to catch up, the phone rings. On the other end is a voice Robert recognizes, a young man named Charles Mayhew. "Pastor Robert? I'm sorry to bother you, but I didn't know who else to call. It's my wife, you see. You and I have prayed about her illness for quite some time, and I'm glad to report that she's been doing better." Robert recalls that Charles' wife, Hannah, has Stage IV cancer.

"The problem is... She left early yesterday morning for a chemo treatment. And... Well, she never came home. The police won't start looking until it's been 48 hours, but she's so sick... I'm afraid it might already be too late."

I'm operating under the assumption that you all know each other already, since it's easier that way, and having a goal like this can bring the group together quickly without having you all just-so-happening to be in the same place.

JonRG
2014-08-16, 05:33 PM
Latex gloves on, Robert prods Omar's stitches. The wound had healed nicely with no sign of infection. Whistling (damn that mixtape), he cuts through the stitches and pulls them out of the skin. Omar, of course, winces the entire time. Robert sighs, then dabs the wound with alcohol, covering it with a sterile bandage. "There. All done." He startles as the phone rings and reaches over to the desk. "Druid Hills Presbyterian. Pastor Robert speaking. How may I help you?" Robert frowns at the news. Charles and Hannah were good people. They didn't deserve all this. Besides, who would kidnap a terminally ill woman? They'd have to be - "A monster. Like you. Or your new 'friend' here." He takes a deep breath to compose himself. "That's troubling news, Charles, but I think it's a bit early to assume the worst. I'll see what I can find out, and know that you're both in my prayers." Once Charles hangs up, Robert turns to Omar. "One of the parishioners is missing. She's a very sick woman. I... want to find her before it's too late. Think you could help?"

Obscurejones
2014-08-16, 11:29 PM
Omar looks over the stitches for a moment, checking the thin scar left behind, the little pale splotch on his skin. He slides his shirt back on and begins buttoning it up. Straps on his shoulder holster.
"Last I checked I owed you a favor. Among other thing... Hey, what's that right there?"
Omar points over Robert's shoulder vaguely. It'd be a crass attempt at deception if not for the Demon's perfect ability to lie.

JonRG
2014-08-16, 11:31 PM
Robert sighs with relief. "What?" He turns around to see what's up. Maybe someone had decided to visit him in person?

Obscurejones
2014-08-16, 11:33 PM
Pushing off his back leg, Omar throws an absolute haymaker of a punch, his entire body behind the shot aimed at the side of Robert's head.

JonRG
2014-08-16, 11:42 PM
Robert never sees it coming. He stumbles as the fist collides with his temple, knocking his glasses askew. "Ow! What the hell is the matter with you?" What he said last Tuesday flashes through his head. "Get better first. Then I'll letcha have a free swing." Robert grins almost maniacally. "You motherf- Nicely done. Remind me to not joke around with you." He retrieves his glasses from the stone floor. "I'll call Vanessa. She's good at this sort of thing." Robert dials her cell phone number from memory. "Vanessa? It's Robert. I've got a situation your expertise might be useful for. Mind coming down to my office?"

Obscurejones
2014-08-16, 11:43 PM
Omar chuckles as he straps on his second gun.
"Gotta say preacher, you take a punch like a Methodist. Would of thought you'd be a little more sturdy."
He sits on Roberts desk as he waits for his fellow demon to make the call.

josienoms
2014-08-16, 11:48 PM
Vanessa finishes typing her article for the next morning's paper, and just as she emails it to her editor, her phone rings. She answers quickly after seeing that it's Robert.

"I'll be right over." She hopes it's nothing too serious, but even still, she gets into her car and heads over.

Once she arrives, she knocks politely on his office door.

JonRG
2014-08-17, 12:01 AM
Robert hangs up the phone and shoots Omar at look. "Like a Methodist... No wonder you got shot if you go around sayin' stuff like that to people," he teases with a sly grin. While they wait for Vanessa, Robert calls a few of his other contacts: Michael the weaponsmith, and Parker the.... no one was entirely sure what his deal was. Just as he hangs up the phone, he hears the knock at the door. "Come in," Robert calls. Vanessa walks in, the picture of loveliness despite the late hour. "Vanessa. Thanks for coming so quickly."

Hey, so both you dudes get a call/voicemail that has the same basic content as the one he made to Vanessa. Just didn't want to write it out and make everything all redundant. :smalltongue:

Obscurejones
2014-08-17, 12:02 AM
Omar raises an eyebrow at Robert.
"I thought you said you didn't know any Salomes, Preach. Or did you just not want to share?"

josienoms
2014-08-17, 12:08 AM
"It's really no trouble, you've helped me in the past, it's the least I can do. What's going on?"

Vanessa wrinkles her nose at Omar, ignoring his comment for the time being.

JonRG
2014-08-17, 12:10 AM
"Quiet, you," Robert snaps at Omar, thankful that he can suppress his embarrassment. "One of my parishioners has gone missing. She's a very sick woman, and her husband is worried. I promised him I'd look into it."

josienoms
2014-08-17, 12:13 AM
Vanessa makes sure that her eyes widen in a reasonable facsimile of surprise.

"Oh my God. Of course, I'd be happy to help. Do we know where she went missing from?"

JonRG
2014-08-17, 12:25 AM
"She's being treated at Emory University Hospital. Presumably she made it there... If so, she's in a fairly fragile state right now." Robert rubs his temples.

Survy
2014-08-17, 12:53 AM
Michael receives the voicemail as he works on a custom order, one worth a fair penny. Taking the call after finishing up on a key part, Michael sighs and straps on his pistol from his workbench. It was good to keep in contact with the other Demons in the city, for mutual protection if nothing else, but calls like this rarely led to anything good.

He finally manages to arrive after fighting a bit of evening traffic, and walks up into the office. After hearing the explanation, Michael considers it for a bit, looking absent-minded.

"Huh. It does seem most likely she was taken. If it was something normal like a car crash, it would have been found by now, and if the hospital had noticed something they would have called her husband. If she appeared to be a patient, no one would question someone in an orderly outfit taking her around. What would someone want with a cancer patient though?

JonRG
2014-08-17, 11:13 AM
Robert shudders. His last assignment as an angel painted a very grim picture indeed. "Who do we all know that performs mysterious acts for inscrutable purposes? Or, more accurately, what," he mutters darkly.

Survy
2014-08-17, 05:10 PM
Michael simply shrugs in response, not allowing his own nervousness to show. "It's possible it's just a particularly demented human. Doesn't really change what we're doing. We should go to the hospital and see if we can find anything. The security footage may be of some use at least."

josienoms
2014-08-17, 11:00 PM
Vanessa's heart would be racing at the very idea, were she human. She makes eye contact with Robert, establishing that they're thinking the same thing. The God-Machine.

"I agree, it's the best place to start looking. We can find out if she ever made it there, if she was taken while there, or if she was taken after she left. It at least gives us more to work with."

JonRG
2014-08-17, 11:47 PM
"Sounds like a plan," Robert replies. He feels his neck for the clerical collar. Not to sound too cynical, but it was the ultimate tongue-loosener. Could work better than a policeman's badge.

josienoms
2014-08-18, 11:08 AM
Vanessa doesn't say anything more, she simply heads out to her car, leading the way out of Robert's office.

"Do we want to ride together, or does everyone have their own way there?"

Edge
2014-08-18, 12:13 PM
Parker is throwing his scrubs into his locker after a long shift mopping the hospital's floors when he checks his phone and sees the message from Robert. That was unusual. Alarm bells immediately begin ringing in the Frankenstein's head, and he quickly brings the pastor's number up from his phone's memory. Assuming Robert picks up, Parker immediately jumps in.

"Pastor, it's Parker. You left me a message. What's up? Need something?"

Survy
2014-08-18, 12:14 PM
Michael finagles his keys out of his pocket, swinging them around his finger a bit as he walks. "Probably better we're not all seen arriving together, or talking together too much. I'd rather not have to come back to get my car anyways. Ashley almost skinned me the last time I left it on the other side of town." Michael's steps almost stagger for a moment, considering where they were going for a moment...no, Emory Law is a fair distance from the hospital, she'll be fine.

"Once we're there i'll hit up the security office, see if I can't grease a few palms and take a look at the footage. They're not exactly paid a fortune."

JonRG
2014-08-18, 12:19 PM
Robert answers his phone before he can respond to Vanessa's question. "Are you still at work? We're headed your way. One of my parishioners was last seen there. I could use your help." Parker might not be human, but he had a good heart. "Great. See you there. Bye." He hangs up. "Parker's already there. Hopefully, he'll be able to get us some information too." Robert turns to Omar. "You need a ride?"

Obscurejones
2014-08-19, 01:48 AM
"As a married man, you'd be willing to provide one?"
Omar raises an eyebrow at the pastor for half a moment before continuing.
"Joking aside, yeah. Took a cab here."

JonRG
2014-08-19, 02:01 AM
"All right." Robert grabs keys from his jacket pocket. "Let's roll."

horus42
2014-08-19, 09:31 AM
As you all drive towards Emory University hospital, it starts to rain. At first it's just the pitter-patter of a few drops, but as you get closer, it starts to fall more heavily.

The hospital itself is a huge white building made of stone, with smaller wings set off to either side. The double front doors are set into a small alcove, and people pass by you as you enter, running and putting up their umbrellas as they run for their cars.

Inside, the lobby is a soft white, trying to set up an aura of cleanliness and friendliness. Chairs and sofas are scattered throughout the waiting room, and a plump woman in pink scrubs sits behind the reception desk. Parker is already in the lobby, waiting for the rest of you.

josienoms
2014-08-19, 01:25 PM
Vanessa runs through the rain to get to the doors, and smiles when she sees Parker there. She walks over to him, holding out a hand for him to shake.

"It's good to see you again, Parker. I wish it was under different circumstances."

She winces slightly. "Did Robert fill you in?"

Edge
2014-08-19, 02:22 PM
Parker takes Vanessa's hand with a warm smile.

"Likewise, Ms Spencer. Robert. Omar. Michael," the Frankenstein says, nodding to the others in turn. "The good pastor gave me a quick rundown. Parishoner missing after her treatment here at the hospital, right?"

JonRG
2014-08-19, 02:37 PM
Robert nods. "Lord willing, the staff will give me some information." He walks up to the receptionist and clears his throat. "Excuse me. I'm Pastor Robert and I'm inquiring after one of my parishioners, Hannah Mayhew. I understand she was scheduled for a chemotherapy treatment yesterday. I don't mean to impose, but could you tell me when or if she arrived and departed? She hasn't returned home, and her husband is worried sick." Robert makes his expression look very pleading.

Crud. I do not have as many dice as I might like, but we'll see how this goes!

Manipulation + Persuasion: [roll0]

horus42
2014-08-19, 03:30 PM
The receptionist smiles sympathetically. Her voice is unfailingly polite and tinged with just a small bit of southern drawl. "I'm very sorry about that, sir, but I'm afraid I can't help you. Hospital policy says I can't share that information with anyone but immediate family members."

JonRG
2014-08-19, 03:50 PM
Robert sighs. Clearly he hadn't cranked up the charm enough. Hospitals put him on edge. "I understand. Thank you anyway. God bless." Robert sighs and takes a seat in the waiting room. Grabs a copy of National Geographic. He'd see what the others could find before dragging Charles out of bed at this time of night.

Survy
2014-08-19, 04:07 PM
Michael shrugs a bit and shifts over to where Robert is sitting. "I'll go check out the security office then. Robert, you want to come with me? I'll need your help picking her out on camera. And the guards may feel a bit less guilty taking a 'donation' from a priest."

JonRG
2014-08-19, 04:26 PM
Robert smiles and sets down his magazine. "Of course. However, we'll need to narrow down the time frame. When she arrived. When she left. Do you think I should try my luck with another receptionist?" He rises to his feet, and searches the signs for directions to the oncology ward, where Hannah would have received her treatment.

Edge
2014-08-19, 04:31 PM
"Could try the staff down on the ward, pastor. Might be a bit more co-operative if you just mention we just need to know when she was discharged."

Parker turns towards the oncology department, and waves for the others to follow.

"'S this way and up a couple of floors."

JonRG
2014-08-20, 09:31 PM
Robert nods politely. "Thank you." He ascends the stairs somewhat slowly, wincing at the twinge in his knee. Eventually, he arrives at the oncology ward. "Focus. You might hate hospitals, but Charles and Hannah need you. Your stupid neurosis can wait." Robert approaches the desk, remembering Parker's advice. "Excuse me. I'm Pastor Robert and I'm inquiring after one of my parishioners, Hannah Mayhew. I understand she was scheduled for a chemotherapy treatment yesterday. Could you tell me when or if she arrived and departed? She hasn't returned home, and her husband is worried sick. I understand there are regulations, but I just need to know what time she left. It would do wonders to put Charles's mind at ease." Given the time she been ill, surely the staff knows her and her relatives.

horus42
2014-08-20, 11:10 PM
The nurse behind the desk shuffles a few papers around, looking for Hannah's file. "Ah, yes. Here we are." She opens the file and scans it for a few seconds. "Looks like she arrived on time... She left at two in the afternoon. Nothing out of the ordinary. If anything happened to her, it was after she left." She clearly looks concerned, however.

Meanwhile, two EMTs walk past the others, speaking in hushed tones.

Everyone roll Wits+Composure to see if you can hear them.

horus42
2014-08-21, 12:16 PM
"So, didja hear about that Jane Doe they brought in the other day?"

"Sure did. Creepy as hell, ain't it? Third one in three months."

The first EMT nods. "They say this one looks like she might actually pull through, though."

"Thank God. Maybe we can finally get some answers, because if I didn't know better, I'd say those lacerations on her back look like a diagram for a circuit board."

"Identical to the other two victims, too. I'd say we've got a serial killer on our hands... Wonder why the police want it hushed up?"

"They just want to avoid a panic." At this point, they're too far off to hear clearly any more.

josienoms
2014-08-21, 11:06 PM
Vanessa listens intently to the conversation, craning her neck to hear for as long as she can.

"Well," she whispers to the others, "If that doesn't have God-Machine written all over it, I don't know what does. I'm going to follow them."

She follows after the EMTs, making no attempt to hide the fact. She's a member of the press, she has every right to ask them for information.

"Excuse me, gentlemen! Vanessa Spencer, with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. I couldn't help but overhear your conversation about this alleged serial killer, and I have a few questions, if you have a moment."

horus42
2014-08-22, 12:00 PM
The first EMT blinks in surprise at being addressed, then shakes his head. "I'm sorry, ma'am. I'm not supposed to talk about this with members of the press. Just... act like you didn't hear anything, and we won't have a problem."

Meanwhile, the nurse behind the desk sighs and continues to look through Hannah's file. "It looks like she left with her sister, and I know that Lydia and Charles don't really... get along. Maybe y'all should give her a call?"

JonRG
2014-08-22, 02:07 PM
Robert smiles warmly. "Thank you kindly. Do you have a contact number for her?" His gaze flicks to Michael, and he nods slightly. First, they'd make sure that Hannah actually left the hospital with her sister. Then, they could call Miss Lydia and see what on Earth was going on.

horus42
2014-08-22, 10:45 PM
The nurse gives Robert the number. "I hope you're able to find her. Hannah's such a sweet young woman."

JonRG
2014-08-23, 01:09 PM
He nods, committing the number to memory. "God bless." Robert leaves the counter and wanders back to the others. "She left at 2. Shall we see what happened afterwards?" He looks to Parker for guidance.

josienoms
2014-08-23, 10:32 PM
"I understand if you don't want to talk to someone like me right now. But if you change your mind."

She reaches into her purse and hands the EMT her business card.

"Call me."

She heads back to the others.

"Yes, let's."

She smiles softly at Robert.

Edge
2014-08-25, 04:43 AM
Parker strokes his beard in contemplation.

"Hmm. We'd probably need to check the CCTV for that. Not sure if the security guys will be all that co-operative, though."

He pauses, clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

"Those EMTs had a pretty interesting story, though. Might be worth checking out the emergency ward. We're looking for a missing person, and the hospital just accepts a Jane Doe? If it is Hannah, saves us a lot of searching. If not, well then we chased up one lead."

JonRG
2014-08-25, 11:09 AM
"If they'd meant yesterday, they would have said yesterday. More likely, it's unrelated. Although, I'm starting to feel like Hannah's disappearance could be a domestic issue, rather than a crime." Robert smiles a bit. Didn't want to discourage the kid. "Why don't you and the others go look into it? Michael and I should be able to manage on our own."

Survy
2014-08-25, 11:57 AM
Michael nods in assent. "Makes sense. Might as well take care of this as fast as possible."

josienoms
2014-08-26, 11:23 AM
Vanessa nods and smiles.

"Sounds good. Come on Parker, Omar. Let's check this out."

She leads the way, to the trauma ward, trying to see if she can find the Jane Doe.

horus42
2014-08-27, 03:21 PM
When Robert calls, Lydia answers the phone after a few rings. "H-hello?"

Meanwhile, the group looking for the Jane Doe is able to find her without too much effort. The EMTs lead you right to her. She lies in her bed, a morphine drip attached to her arm. The various monitors fill the air with beeps as they keep track of her stable vital signs. She's resting on her side, in an open hospital gown, her back heavily bandaged.

She's clearly unconscious, a tall, slender young woman with long, curly black hair. Her personal items are sitting on the table next to her bed.

JonRG
2014-08-27, 03:38 PM
"Hello, Lydia. This is Pastor Robert from Druid Hills Presbyterian. I was wondering if you knew where Hannah was. She hasn't been seen since her chemotherapy appointment." Robert has a bad feeling about this whole mess.

horus42
2014-08-27, 03:46 PM
"Oh! Um... Pastor Robert. Yes. Hello. She uh... she isn't with me now. I'm not at home, you see. I hope she turns up, though. Good luck finding her. I'll... I'll see you in Church on Sunday."

Several things strike you as odd. She doesn't seem to know you, though you've met before. She also doesn't seem to know who Hannah is, despite being her sister. Her words seem stilted and odd, as though unfamiliar to her lips. Perhaps the most damning evidence, however, is simply that Lydia doesn't go to your church.

The voice is right, despite the odd cadence of speech, but... This isn't Lydia.

JonRG
2014-08-27, 09:49 PM
The hairs on the back of Robert's neck stand on end. An oblivious impostor was hedging their bets, and had fortunately (for him) chosen wrong. He'd blundered a few times in his early days as Robert Bennett. Never this badly. Focus. Couldn't let her (it?) know he was onto them. The impostor (demon maybe?) would just cut and run. Best to calmly end contact and confer with the others. "See you then. Goodbye." Robert hangs up, then turns to Michael. "No need to check the footage," he mutters quietly in an obscure language. "Lydia isn't Lydia. Whoever's impersonating her seems to know nothing of the identity they've assumed. So if a young gentleman were to call and remind her of a date they had planned for tonight... See where I'm going with this?"

josienoms
2014-08-27, 11:22 PM
Vanessa looks the young woman over once, but doesn't disturb her. Instead, she looks over her effects, for any clue as to her identity.

horus42
2014-08-28, 12:29 AM
On the desk are a set of keys, a phone from a brand you don't recognize, and a small wallet.

The phone is an old-style flip phone, but it looks new.

Inside the wallet, there's no cash, but a few cards. An insurance card from a company you don't recognize, a driver's license which states her name as Stephanie Miller, and a MasterCard. Upon closer examination, the license seems like it has to be a joke or a fake. For one, it says she lives in the Confederate States of America.

Survy
2014-08-28, 07:48 PM
Michael chuckles grimly for a moment as Robert finishes his explanation. "It's almost like you're trying to get my wife to divorce me. But yes, I get the picture. Best to get her far away from any other people if we're to interrogate her. She shouldn't be too suspicious, as it'd make sense if we were having an affair. I'll take her out to Dawson Forest, we shouldn't be disturbed there."

josienoms
2014-08-28, 10:23 PM
Vanessa nearly drops the wallet. That explains a lot. Not everything, but quite a bit.

"Well, that's one mystery solved."

She tosses the driver's license onto the table, where Omar can see.

"She's from a Splinter."

If Parker asked questions, they could be explained later.

JonRG
2014-09-03, 11:34 AM
Robert smiles and rattles off the number for Michael.