PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Replacements for the Ranger's spellcasting

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-16, 05:26 PM
So the Ranger has a good pile of alternate class features, enough so that it's really hard to choose between them. I'm currently working on a TWF build that uses a total of six levels of Ranger; that's only enough levels to get one or two spells per day, so I took a look at the alternate class features available but am unable to decide between the two options (that I know of) for replacing the ranger's spells.

Should I replace the spells with the spell-less Ranger from Complete Warrior, or with Champion of the Wild from Complete Champion? In the former case, I'd get +10 feet to my speed at sixth level; in the latter case, a bonus feat at fourth (probably Blind-Fight or Improved Trip).

Unless having two spells per day is still useful? I haven't taken too much of a look at the Ranger's spell list, so I don't know if there are a few gems in the first-level spells that would be worth having every now and then. Only other purpose I can see is using divine wands/scrolls, but I very likely won't be the only divine caster in the party.

Optimator
2014-08-16, 06:02 PM
Personally I'd go with the spells.

MilesTiden
2014-08-16, 06:09 PM
Unless you very specifically need the bonus feat, I would also suggest the spells. The Spell-less ranger is kinda... bad, honestly. Hell, with first level casting you already have access to Longstrider, which completely negates it. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2014-08-16, 06:11 PM
Ranger spellcasting is kind of meh. UMD-less wand use, on the other hand, is awesome. Keep the spells.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-16, 06:14 PM
Unless you very specifically need the bonus feat, I would also suggest the spells. The Spell-less ranger is kinda... bad, honestly. Hell, with first level casting you already have access to Longstrider, which completely negates it. :smalltongue:

Yeah, when I actually took the time to read through the spell-less ranger stuff for the first time, my general reaction was "wow, this sucks". Also, upon a second look at the exact text, the sixth-level speed boost is an enhancement bonus, so it doesn't even stack with Boots of Striding and Springing (which happen to be one of my favorite wondrous items).

The bonus feat from Champion of the Wild is indeed wholly unnecessary, as I already get Combat Reflexes from somewhere else and the bonus feat list is pretty much one big pile of trash. (Blind-Fight? Two-Weapon Defense?) Wasn't really thinking about taking that one, but wanted to know if there was any bright side to that particular Grinch of an ACF.

Thanks for the opinions, all of you! I'll probably be going with the spells, actually.

Troacctid
2014-08-16, 06:26 PM
Just scanning the list of Ranger spells, they actually get some pretty nice ones.

Some useful Ranger spells from Core include Alarm, Animal Messenger, Endure Elements, and Entangle.

Outside core:

Arrow Mind allows an archer to threaten adjacent squares with a bow and use bows in melee, taking only an immediate action to cast and lasting minutes/level.
Aspect of the Wolf lets you polymorph into a wolf.
Blockade drops a 2000-lb 5 ft cube on the ground next to you as a swift action.
Blades of Fire adds 1d8 fire damage to your melee weapons for a round.
Camouflage gives you +10 to hide.
Climbing Tree conjures a tree between 10 and 50 ft high.
Embrace the Wild improves your senses for 10 minutes/level.
Guided Shot lets you fire without penalties for cover or long range for one round as a swift action.
Impeding Stones is basically Entangle without the plants.
Lay of the Land lets you know all the terrain within 100 miles, basic information about and location of major landmarks and stuff within 500 miles, and the general direction and distance of major landmarks farther away. (It's a 4th level spell for Bards and Druids.)
Towering Oak gives you +10 to Intimidate and +2 to Strength as a swift action.

And that's just 1st-level spells. There's also a lot of situational stuff that improves your movement modes, tracking, senses, and whatnot. It's a surprisingly decent list.

Chronos
2014-08-16, 06:29 PM
Don't forget about Entangle, either.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-16, 06:30 PM
Just scanning the list of Ranger spells, they actually get some pretty nice ones.

Some useful Ranger spells from Core include Alarm, Animal Messenger, Endure Elements, and Entangle.

Outside core:

Arrow Mind allows an archer to threaten adjacent squares with a bow and use bows in melee, taking only an immediate action to cast and lasting minutes/level.
Aspect of the Wolf lets you polymorph into a wolf.
Blockade drops a 2000-lb 5 ft cube on the ground next to you as a swift action.
Blades of Fire adds 1d8 fire damage to your melee weapons for a round.
Camouflage gives you +10 to hide.
Climbing Tree conjures a tree between 10 and 50 ft high.
Embrace the Wild improves your senses for 10 minutes/level.
Guided Shot lets you fire without penalties for cover or long range for one round as a swift action.
Impeding Stones is basically Entangle without the plants.
Lay of the Land lets you know all the terrain within 100 miles, basic information about and location of major landmarks and stuff within 500 miles, and the general direction and distance of major landmarks farther away. (It's a 4th level spell for Bards and Druids.)
Towering Oak gives you +10 to Intimidate and +2 to Strength as a swift action.

And that's just 1st-level spells. There's also a lot of situational stuff that improves your movement modes, tracking, senses, and whatnot. It's a surprisingly decent list.

Thanks for coming up with a quick list of the good ones! I found an online list of *all* of the ranger spells, but there are so many that it was really hard to sort through. Lay of the Land in particular seems like a really powerful spell, and I'd get it before a druid would :smallbiggrin: