PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler custom class croudsource: Updated to Fighter Variant

Yagyujubei
2014-08-16, 06:07 PM
I wanted to just throw a bunch of ideas out and see what people thought fit best and was balanced. It will basically be a mix of rogue and fighter things, but rather than multiclassing and taking feats, it would be it's own class.

so the aspects of what i'm trying to focus on are dodgyness and mobility,1 weapon finesse fighting, and that swashbuckler flavor.

as far as mobility and stuff the big ones would be Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, slippery mind, and elusive

from the soldier side, you would get 2 extra attacks and one action surge and swift dueling, which would give the +2bonus to dmg and a +1to ac as long as youre wearing light armor and are only wielding 1weapon and no shield. the rest would be a combination of champion and battlemaster. from champion you'll get the improved and superior critical but they will be Bloody critical, which would ad an ongoing bleed to crits that would end on con save. from Battle master you get limited maneuvers (but they will be called flourishes for flavor) and finesse dice. The ones you would get would be:
Disarming attack
Evasive footwork
Dirty trick-adds blind to next attack
Feinting attack
Trip attack
Riposte
Parry
Blade flurry-adds another attack with -3 to hit
Expose Weakness- gives advantage to allies against target until the start of your next turn

lastly, there would be some flavor stuff, like the vicious mockery cantrip, expertise in deception, persuasion, and acrobatics

well...that's what I had in my head. I dont know if this is way broken or not strong enough, or if there are other swashbuckler staples that I missed, or what level the features would come at too keep it relevant from 1-20 or anything like that. Just wanted to get the idea out there and crowdsource some improvements.

EDIT: Thought of another possible feature: Focused Blows: each successive strike on a target gets a dmg buff against said target. say +1/+2/+4/+6/+8/+10 and then it would cap there at +10 or something. Not useful for weaker enemies but it would really help for the much tougher enemies.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-16, 08:45 PM
come on buddies, i need some help here ;_;

OK so new idea...a Hybrid variant/acrhetype. The idea would be a fighter Archetype, that would require levels in rogue to unlock

so you get the maneuvers, you get the bloody crit, and you get the expertise and cantrip...maybe that would be balanced I'll get back with the total list of things that would grant.

EDIT: and that's a good idea Tvtyrant

Tvtyrant
2014-08-16, 08:50 PM
To fill the Swashbuckler role I feel it needs to move around a lot, use counters and be hard to hit. A mechanic like reflex save to avoid melee attacks and extra damage for moving.

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-16, 09:27 PM
I'd give them proficiency in only light armor and finesse weapons.

Maybe a variant of unarmed defense that gives dex+int to AC but only in light armor or less and have it at a higher level.

Fighting style at level two with defense, dueling and two weapon as options.

Honestly I think it could just be a fighter style rogue archetype.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-16, 09:36 PM
OK, so new and improved Swashbuckler variant class (requires 2 Fighter/2 Rogue)

level 4 features:
Improved Dueling: In addition to the dmg bonus, while wearing light armor and wearing no shield you may add your DEX modifier to AC
uncanny dodge
Vicious Mockery: You gain use of the vicious mockery cantrip

level 6 Features:
Flourish dice: you receive 3 finesse dice(d6), these dice can be used to perform flourishes during combat or to add to atk values. These dice replenish upon a short rest.
Improved Critical : A Swashbuckler scores a critical on a roll of 19 or 20.
Swashbuckler Expertise: Gain expertise in Persuasion and Acrobatics.

List of Flourishes:
Disarming Flourish: as an action, you may expend a Finesse die to add the result to DMG and attempt to disarm opponent vs. STR.
Evasive Footwork: When moving you can expend a Finesse dice to add the result to your AC until end of turn as a bonus action.
Dirty Trick: As an action, you may expend a Finesse die to add the result to dmg and attempt to blind opponent vs. Reflex.
Feinting attack: Expend one Finesse die as a bonus action to instead attack another creature within range with advantage.
Duelist Ripost: When a creature misses you in melee, you can use your reaction and spend a Finesse die to make a melee attack against the target and retreat 10 feet without provoking OA's.
Duelist Parry: When you are damaged with an attack, you can use your reaction and a Finesse die to to reduce the dmg done by the roll and your DEX modifier, and retreat 10 feet without provoking OA's.
Blade Flurry: as an action, on your next melee attack you may expend a Finesse die to gain an additional attack with a -10 to hit MINUS the result of your die roll.
Trip attack: as an action, on your next melee attack, you may expend a Finesse die to attempt to knock down the target vs. STR
Expose weakness: as an action, upon hit you may choose to give your allies within hearing range advantage against target until the start of your next turn instead of dealing damage.
Hit and Run: as an action, you may expend a Finesse die to deal additional damage to each successive enemy hit this turn (+1,+2,+3,+4,+5, etc..)

Level 13 Features:
Evasion
Finesse dice improvement: finesse dice upgrade do d8

Level 18 Features:
Swashbuckling legend: any roll lower than a 10 on a Persuasion or acrobatics check is treat ed a 10.
Focused Blows: Successive attack on the same target gain increased damage. (+1/+2/+4/+6/+8 capping at 8)

lvl 20 features:
Bloody Critical: you now critical on a roll of 18 or higher, and criticals now wound for an ongoing (x) bleeding dmg vs, Fortitude

man it sounds too powerful but goddamn does it sound fun lol. I'm gonna try so hard to convince my DM to let me roll this in my next campaign

Edit: @Prophet or Io, you already get light armor from being a fighter, and there is nor finesse proficiency in 5E, as long as you're wielding a versatile weapon you can use DEX as your dmg and atk modifier I believe.

Seppo87
2014-08-17, 08:02 AM
Yes it's powerful. Definitely better than a standard fighter.