PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Bluff on an Epic octopus.

The Vagabond
2014-08-16, 07:50 PM
So, for a game I plan on joining, I'm planning on optimizing bluff on a low-epic (21 levels) octopus, to see if I can have him bluff everyone into thinking that he's a human. He'll be level 21, and I would rather enjoy it being a rogue.

Thurbane
2014-08-16, 08:02 PM
Octodad? :smallbiggrin:

The Vagabond
2014-08-16, 08:08 PM
Octodad? :smallbiggrin:

Nobody suspects a thing :D

Troacctid
2014-08-16, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't that be Disguise?

Thurbane
2014-08-16, 08:11 PM
Someone once did a build that was a bear that used enough Bluff and Disguise to make people think it was a sophisticated human.

LurKing
2014-08-16, 08:11 PM
So, for a game I plan on joining, I'm planning on optimizing bluff on a low-epic (21 levels) octopus, to see if I can have him bluff everyone into thinking that he's a human. He'll be level 21, and I would rather enjoy it being a rogue.

Octodad is a pretty hilarious character concept; I hope you drop somebody's jaw to the floor when they finally figure it out. When it comes to boosting skills, the item familiar feat (unearthed arcana) is always a solid choice, especially for classes that get lots of skill points (like the rogue) because it essentially lets you put double ranks into the skill. You can also use the standard techniques of having someone assist you, utilizing masterwork tools, and using a magic item (possibly custom) to give you a +5 (or whatever, but +5 is pretty reasonable.) You might want to look into Glibness (bard spell) or Conceal Thoughts (psion power) for some easy, massive bluff bonuses too.

One thing I'd mention is that you probably have to do both bluff and disguise, and disguise is a little easier since you can use short-term effects, disguise yourself, and the benefit lasts all day. Stuff like Guidance of the Avatar (cleric spell) can be used to give you an *insane* modifier. For disguise, it's worth mentioning that Polymorph, Alter Self and similar effects can either grant you a large bonus to hiding your appearance or drastically alter it. You may wish to stick to mundane means of disguise though, since True Seeing is a very desirable (and therefore relatively common) effect at higher levels and would enable someone to literally see through your magical enhancements.

If you want something similar to a rogue, Factotum is frequently recommended for good reason. It gets nearly as many skill points as the rogue, trapfinding, and a boatload of utility. Particularly useful for your character concept: once per day per skill you can apply your class level as a bonus.

At level 20: 23 ranks, +23 from Item Familiar, + 20 from the factotum ability, +20 Guidance of the Avatar, +2 masterwork disguise kit, +5 custom item of disguise = +93 skill modifier, even before factoring in your charisma score.

G.A.M.D.
2014-08-16, 08:26 PM
I recommend getting leadership (If available) and make your cohort a chicken that shares your goals. Perhaps make him a bard to help your cover? You would each wear a disguise, to look like human guys. (But you're not a man, you're an Octo-dude.)

The Vagabond
2014-08-16, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't that be Disguise?

I was hoping that I could get Bluff high enough that he could bluff his way through everyone.

Octodad is a pretty hilarious character concept; I hope you drop somebody's jaw to the floor when they finally figure it out. When it comes to boosting skills, the item familiar feat (unearthed arcana) is always a solid choice, especially for classes that get lots of skill points (like the rogue) because it essentially lets you put double ranks into the skill. You can also use the standard techniques of having someone assist you, utilizing masterwork tools, and using a magic item (possibly custom) to give you a +5 (or whatever, but +5 is pretty reasonable.) You might want to look into Glibness (bard spell) or Conceal Thoughts (psion power) for some easy, massive bluff bonuses too.

One thing I'd mention is that you probably have to do both bluff and disguise, and disguise is a little easier since you can use short-term effects, disguise yourself, and the benefit lasts all day. Stuff like Guidance of the Avatar (cleric spell) can be used to give you an *insane* modifier. For disguise, it's worth mentioning that Polymorph, Alter Self and similar effects can either grant you a large bonus to hiding your appearance or drastically alter it. You may wish to stick to mundane means of disguise though, since True Seeing is a very desirable (and therefore relatively common) effect at higher levels and would enable someone to literally see through your magical enhancements.

If you want something similar to a rogue, Factotum is frequently recommended for good reason. It gets nearly as many skill points as the rogue, trapfinding, and a boatload of utility. Particularly useful for your character concept: once per day per skill you can apply your class level as a bonus.

At level 20: 23 ranks, +23 from Item Familiar, + 20 from the factotum ability, +20 Guidance of the Avatar, +2 masterwork disguise kit, +5 custom item of disguise = +93 skill modifier, even before factoring in your charisma score.

I'm afraid I don't have Access to Factorum with the character generator I'm using (PCgen) and either way the -8 to intelligence and Charisma are a really heavy blow, even with the awakened animal template.

backwaterj
2014-08-16, 09:48 PM
Great concept! I take it you're going for something along the lines of the mimic octopus? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-LTWFnGmeg)

If so I'd see if the DM will house-rule a bonus to Disguise checks (since you really will need it - an obvious octopus saying "I'm a human" falls in the patently absurd category). Perhaps give up the tentacle damage of the giant octopus in exchange for this?

The bigger issue as I see it is physiology. You're going to need not only a way to continuously breathe air and keep from drying out, but arguably some significant help in the gravity department (since you'd lack natural buoyancy in air). Perhaps a magic item with a continuous Air Breathing (SC) effect and/or Decanter of Endless (salt)Water for the former, Boots of Levitation for the latter (assuming DM allows a boots slot on an octopus).

Rogue could be really fun, especially considering the octopus' insane Escape Artist modifier. The right GM might even treat it like an ooze in terms of squeezing through ridiculously tight spaces (since the only thing solid on an octopus is its beak).