PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Now hold on just a moment... Adoration of the Frightful...

AnonymousPepper
2014-08-17, 02:56 AM
The +1 competence to diplomacy for learning it is nice and all. Unusual, but it's nice.

My question is, since Clerics know every spell on their list, doesn't every cleric of fifth level and higher in existence - provided Dragon Magic is a kosher splatbook in their game - just automatically run around with a +1 Competence to their diplo?

Psyren
2014-08-17, 03:24 AM
Clerics don't "learn" spells - they simply know them. I would say they're incapable of gaining this bonus at all.

AnonymousPepper
2014-08-17, 06:34 AM
Clerics don't "learn" spells - they simply know them. I would say they're incapable of gaining this bonus at all.

They do learn them as they level, though, don't they? As in, they don't know spells of a higher level than they can cast, do they? My thought process was that they learn all spells of, say, third level, when they reach, in this example, fifth level.

Chronos
2014-08-17, 07:30 AM
There's a paragraph in Dragon Magic at the beginning of the spells chapter about spells like this. The benefit only applies to casters like sorcerers who have a limited number of spells known.

Kantolin
2014-08-17, 12:31 PM
To be more specific, page 60, second paragraph.

It calls out bards, sorcerors, favored souls, and warmages as okay, but clerics and wizards as not.

Edit: Favored souls are specifically called out but I didn't mention them the first time, which would be particularly relevant for this case, haha. ^_^

Irk
2014-08-17, 01:20 PM
Rainbow Servants would get it.

Chronos
2014-08-17, 02:54 PM
Warmage rainbow servants would get it, but sorcerer rainbow servants still need to spend precious spells known to get their spells.