PDA

View Full Version : You Just Got Schooled Group 4

GuyFawkes
2014-08-17, 07:37 AM
Chapter 1: First Day Funk

Under the hot blistering sun, you walk for miles and miles. As far as your eyes can see, the land is dead. Dust flies at every light breeze that blows, but there are signs of rebirth here or there. A shrub, a patch of grass, nothing more. You would have been lost ages ago, where it not for the two distinct features that gave you your bearing: the mountains looming on the horizon before you and the stream of people trickling down towards it.

You are but one of a few tens, maybe even well over a hundred, who took this road for whatever reasons, yet all for the same purpose: to try your hand at becoming one of the elite mercenary forces in these parts of the world, the Jokers of the Blood Carnival. Wherever you may be when it all happened three years ago, the news got to you, and it lit up something within you that ultimately led you right in this very spot right now. It raised questions, and you knew the answers lied on those peaks in front of you. And so you trudge on, however weary you are, however tired you may be. You are too close to back away now.

When the thought that those peaks aren’t getting any closer slowly and steadily intensified in your starved and fatigued mind, you find yourself stand in front of your destination. At long last, you are here. But this is just the beginning of your journey. And this might just be the toughest hurdle you have to face.

http://matteomazzali.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/fortress.jpg

“Up up up! Everyone up and about in five! Today is your first day. First order of business is trainee orientation. Be at the grounds in ten minutes. You don’t want to be late on your first day. You. Do. Not. Want. To. Be. Late. Now move it!”

A loud gravely bark cuts your dreams, pleasant or unpleasant as it was. It is your first day in training camp. Everything was a whirlwind yesterday, from signing up, to being assigned rooms and roommates-slash-teammates. Like you, everyone seems so different, and yet you have to work with them for the rest of your stay here. And all of that starts now.

First hurdle: training orientation.

SaintRidley
2014-08-17, 04:23 PM
Ru stands at the ready, fidgeting a little with her armor. She's a little earlier than the others, and nervous to boot - her left hand keeps shifting between a dark chocolate brown, the lighter caramel brown of Rudy's skin, and the white gray color of Ru's birth. "Get a hold of yourself," she mutters, snapping the skin back to the right color.

Ru's left one slot each of first, second, and third level as unprepared slots should she need to pull from the Spellpool into one. All other slots (6/6/5/3, 0-3rd) today are spontaneous slots.

Weikel
2014-08-17, 11:26 PM
Malkon arrives shortly after Ru, also rather early. When he arrives, wearing all his equipment, he immediately sits down, blades out in front of him, seeming to think deeply for a moment before he gets up and begins doing some stretches and sword swings. After about five minutes of this, he stands near Ru, waiting for the others. Seemingly unsure of whether or not he should strike up conversation, Malkon clears his throat once or twice and occasionally looks over at Ru before looking away and acting as though he did not look at all.

Malkon readies his maneuvers (those noted with a 1 next to them on my sheet).

SaintRidley
2014-08-18, 01:12 AM
Think human, Ru thinks. Don't look anything less than perfectly normal.

Ru looks over to Malkon after he's cleared his throat a few times. "Name's Rudy," she says, looking at the weapons. "Nice steel."

Should I roll disguise to get an idea of how Ru's Rudy persona comes off to the wider world, or should I assume that since this is a long-term persona it's something Ru has perfected (effectively taken 20, which would be a 34 overall)?

Weikel
2014-08-18, 07:07 AM
"Thanks, I took em from some bandits a while back." Then he holds out his hand for a handshake. "Name's Malkon Lehnk. I'm glad that there are at least some other humans assigned to the same group." It's quite clear that Malkon is oblivious to the fact that Ru is in fact not human.

Cheesy74
2014-08-18, 08:40 AM
Igne' walks in a bit unsteadily and a bit late, pistons and servos adjusting on his armor as he sheathes a small screwdriver in his belt. Despite his deep red skin looking pale from the endless march here, he chuckles in a less-than-elvish way.

He approaches the pair making small talk and stretches his hand upward to place it on their shoulders, the enormous height disparity immediately apparent. "Glad to see I'm the runt as usual," he comments, resting his gun barrels on their arms. "Keeps things in their natural order. Name's Igne." He doesn't extend a hand, but continues smiling at the group.

Aegis013
2014-08-18, 08:53 AM
Iustis arrives silently. Unsure what exactly to expect. Presently just wearing a strange combination of scholarly garb and nomadic tribal clothing, he briefly glances over the others, before taking a place among them.

"Greetings and salutations."

SaintRidley
2014-08-18, 05:41 PM
Ru takes Malkon's hand, then looks down to Igne and smiles back. Upon hearing Iustis's greeting, Ru turns and gives a wave.

AsDeR
2014-08-19, 05:00 PM
Arkom

Arkom is the last one to leave the quarters. He puts a hand over his eyes while they slowly adapt to the sun. Arkom loved the sun and everything it represented, but the too bight light always rebembered him he was not meant to be there.

He reached the group that shared a nights rest with him. They were apparantly formaly meeting each other. He took some time approaching them, letting them time to see him and get used to his presence.
A warm aura surrounded him in the morning air.
"Good morning." it was so awkward for him to speak to this people. They were expected to not attack him on sight or flee, so watching them stay was a new thing for him.

Weikel
2014-08-19, 05:58 PM
Malkon shuffles nervously when Arkom arrives, his chest flutters a bit out of fear, so he takes a deep breath to calm it down. Then he seems to collect himself and stands a little taller, no longer slumping. Then he takes a step towards Arkom. "If we're going to be working together, I'd like to be able to stand with you comfortably. That requires getting to know you. My name is Malkon." Malkon says as he holds his hand out to Arkom. His fear is still clearly there, but for now he is in control.

SaintRidley
2014-08-19, 06:05 PM
Ru looks up at the Minotaur. She took a chance with her best Giant. "Hal. Thu eart weorthlice fyrdgestealla."

Good health to you. You will be a worthy comrade at arms.

Cheesy74
2014-08-20, 09:59 AM
"Hey, you don't have to talk down to the fella," Igne interjects, apparently indifferent to the half-minotaur's presence. "He seems to speak Common just fine. Name's Igne, by the way, big guy. What's yours?" he addresses at Arkom with a grin, once again not extending a hand.

SaintRidley
2014-08-20, 01:37 PM
Ru shakes her head at the little man in iron. "The guff you get fer tryin' to be welcoming," she sighs.

Aegis013
2014-08-20, 01:42 PM
Iustis unconsciously smirks at the entrance of the Half-Minotaur. Glancing around at the diverse group, and feeling nostalgic about his first meeting with his mentor and her tribe.

He feels some comfort in knowing the powerful Half-Minotaur is supposed to be an ally.

GuyFawkes
2014-08-21, 12:59 AM
The sun is still below the horizon when everyone gathers at the training grounds. You haven't had the chance to see it yesterday, but now that you do, you notice how grand it is - almost the size of coliseums, only with fewer seats around it - with the shadows from the torches making it look larger than life. It is here that you will be spending a considerable amount of your time, if ever you do last that long.

Around you there are more than a hundred other recruits, some still visibly sleepy, the rest more than fired up. Down to one side of the shorter axis of the oval that is the training grounds, a small sort-of stage stands, with a few people standing on top of it. One of them, sporting long, black hair and clad in armor, steps in front and raises his clenched fist.

"Attention all recruits!" a loud, commanding voice fills the whole grounds like it is somehow magically-amplified.

"My name is Alistaire Henderson. I am the overseer of this facility. As such, it is my duty to see to it that all the activities here go smoothly, and are done in a manner upholding the standards of the Carnival. It is also my duty to assure that all that come out of here are fit to bear the name of a Joker."

"Now, what does it take to bear the name of a Joker?" he pauses as he looks around among you.

"Courage? Yes, definitely. Courage to press on despite the odds, and more importantly, courage to fight for what you believe in. Strength. You must have the strength to back up that courage, else you will be no more than barking dogs who do not bite."

"And last, but the most important of all, is integrity. We may be mercenaries, but we are no ordinary fighting force for hire. We are the descendants who bear the name of heroes, and when you bear the name similar to them, you carry with it their values and beliefs. We may take money to swing our blade, but it does not mean we swing it without thought."

"We are not righteous men, no. We take lives, we pillage, we plunder if needed. But we have rules. We have principles, yet however few they are, we stick to them, and dishonoring them is the worst crime we can commit."

"These rules will be given to you after this orientation and be drilled into you for the course of your stay here, along with the rules you will have to observe while you stay here. Each group will be assigned an instructor, and he or she will be your instructor and guide through your whole stay here. You will receive training from other instructors, such as ones that specialize in specific subjects of training, but your main instructor will not change throughout. You can direct all your queries and concerns to them, and only them alone. You are not to elevate any issue to anyone else before them. They are the ones lined up behind me, and you will proceed to them when I finish here and begin your training."

You notice a long line of men and women standing at attention and in constant spacing from each other behind the stage.

"What else? Have I forgotten anything?" Henderson looks behind him as if asking the others' opinions, and when most of them shake their head, he looks back to you.

"Well then. That concludes this orientation. At least my part of it. You may now proceed to your group's assigned instructor for the rest of the orientation. Oh! One more thing. See that building with the smoke-belching chimney?" he points to such a building to your right. "Yeah, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, ever, go inside that building. In under no circumstance must you enter it. That is all. Good luck, and welcome to the Carnival Gates!"

On the stage, Henderson turns and walks down and off into the rear part of the stage, but does not appear to walk off to any side, just disappearing out into thin air. One of the persons behind him walks forward and speaks.

"Recruits, you may now proceed to your assigned instructors. Move by group, and in an orderly fashion. Your instructors will have an arcane mark on top of them bearing your group's name. They will give you the rest of the instructions regarding the rules and regulations of the Carnival, as well as this training facility. Move!"

The crowd begins to move, most of them orderly, but there are those who do so with blatant disregard of the instructions, talking loudly and moving haphazardly across the field. Beside those groups, however, loud blasts erupt, and you can see the man at the stage pointing at those exact locations.

"I said, in an orderly fashion. Do not make me repeat myself," is all he says, and the crowd moves as instructed.

In your searching, you manage to find your instructor somewhere in the middle between the stage and the right end of the line. Under the arcane mark bearing your group's name, you see a man with long, straight silver hair, attractive face, and wearing a simple flowing robe. All in all, the impression he gives is elegance and neatness.

"Group 4?" came a crystal clear baritone voice. "My name is Killiam. I will be your instructor starting today. Please follow me."

The man known as Killiam leads you outside the training grounds. You pass through a street running along the outside wall of the grounds, and it doesn't take long before you reach a building with lots of doors. Killiam walks towards it and enters one of the doors to the far left.

"Come inside please," he motions to all of you.

Once inside, you see that it is a small square room with a few chairs facing one side and a desk with a chair fronting the chairs. Killiam moves towards the desk and opens the drawer. Inside, he grabs some papers and places them on top of the desk before closing the drawer.

"Sit down," he points at the chairs. As soon as you all settle down, he continues. "Before I give you these, the rules of the Carnival as well as you trainees, I would like for each of you to introduce yourselves. One at a time, stand up, state your name, where you came from, what your strengths and weaknesses are, what your goals are, and what your expectations for this training camp are. Let us start with you," he points at Ru, "then the rest follow."

SaintRidley
2014-08-21, 11:56 AM
Ru stands. "I'm Rudy Splork, and I come from a small village just outside Eston.." She smiles. "I guess ya'll could look at me and think 'Ah, she's a fightin' woman, ain't she.' Well, I ain't much fer physical combat, if'n you know what I mean. I prefer to bring the boom. It didn't go down well with the people back home, so they sent me to Eston to train up."

She realizes she's rambling a bit, and besides, she comes from Eston proper, and she didn't learn to bring the boom until she started studying and training, not the other way around.

So I get there, and I train and study my ass off until the magic is just coursin' through my veins, and then I did a couple years teachin' tactics. And let me tell you, when I throw fire in yer face, it hurts extra, so sometimes tactics is just fancy speak fer 'smack 'em down hard'. As fer why I'm here, well chief, I'm here to see just what I can do. They say there's limits to the kind of magic I use. I say they're fools."

More rambling, and a bit of inflation to how much time she spent teaching, and no acknowledgement of the Arcane Order. Ru decides to wrap it up, mentally cursing her Changeling tongue and its tendency to flap about.

"In short I'm here to be a Joker, and to bring the boom. Ya'll need people who can cut a feller's head off with a sword, and that's all well and good. But it helps if you got someone like me to soften 'em up first."

Ru's not so great at truthtelling so little bits of this speech are lies sprinkled in among the truth. Should there be need for a bluff check on this, I'm providing a roll.

Bluff: [roll0]

For the record, the lies are coming from out of Eston (hope it's cool I just made up a name there), having the magic before the study, people's reaction to Ru's skill with blasting magic, how long she taught (only one year), and the omission of the fact it was for the Arcane Order.

Weikel
2014-08-21, 02:30 PM
Being the next in line after Ru, Malkon stands up. "My name's Malkon. I'm originally from the city of Pontzberg, but when it burned down earlier this year, I was forced to leave. I lost the last of my family in the fire, so I've been traveling ever since, barely getting enough to get by. Of course, that's what led me here. I learned the hard way that I'm pretty good with a blade. I'm very precise and know where to hit to really hurt someone. I'm also good at going unseen and unheard. I've picked up a little bit of understanding of magical devices, and I can both use them and disable them fairly well. I'm not so good at taking a hit though. I came here with the hope that it would be steady work and a way to keep myself fed and under a roof."

I also made up a city name. I don't know how well it fits the setting or if you'd rather name cities, so feel free to tell me OOC if you have a better name.

Cheesy74
2014-08-22, 02:07 PM
Igne stares vacantly at the wall but is jolted to attention by the few seconds of silence following Malkon's introduction. "Uh, right. It's Igne Illuvian," he begins, standing with a few clinks from poorly-oiled armor. "Recent newcomer to the material plane following a jaunt with some dwarves and a mis-inscribed rune, headed out of the mountains with a prototype of this little girl" he pauses to lovingly tap his chestplate, which glows with a dim orange energy " after bumping my head a few too many times. Around upgrade number six and a bad run-in with some well-equipped bandits, I decided to look for more consistent work, and a job posting got me here."

After another second's silence, he continues. "I've got...two flame-runed rotary cannons on my arms, a fireproofed nozzle linked to a bound elemental in my tank here in the back...couple of Martynn thaumic foci in the palms and it uses the elemental's discharge for jump jets..." he trails off. "I'm good at shooting things and setting them on fire, I guess. I'm no good with swords and axes and not that great with words, but if you want something dead, researched, or built, I'm your elf."

He sits back down, looking a bit flustered.

AsDeR
2014-08-23, 10:32 AM
As the loud elf sits back down, Arkom stands up from the ground. He didn't even try to sit on one of the chairs and instead moved a couple of them away to make room for him on the floor and against the wall.
Arkom is a strange view inside a building. He is something that doesn't fit there. Like seeing a knight working a field, or a duck swimming on lava. It was off.

"I'm Arkom." sais the almost 7 feet tall creature with a strong orcish accent.
He seems to be some lesser race of minotaur, less animalistic, but still strongly monstruous. His head shows two powerful horns, his face has more snout than nose. His body is a muscle wall covered both with long fur and deep scars.
But odly enough, that's not what catches the attention when looking at him. Arkom's arms, from the elbows to the hands, look like an old broken armor mesh filled with hot coals. It's hard to imagine his arms being inside that armor, which makes it even stranger, as it would mean there's no flesh inside.
It doesn't look like Arkom minds this at all. And although some warmth can be felt arround him, the coals look about to burn out.

"I come from dark caves in the mountains. I want to find out my strengths and weaknesses here." Despite his accent and look his voice doesn't sound rude, as if someone told him how to speak with care. "And I expect to achieve revenge."
Arkom sits down, looking right before him, to nothing in particular, clenching his jaw.

Aegis013
2014-08-23, 06:09 PM
Iustis shifts in his seat, and gets onto his feet. Iustis speaks with sincerity.

"My name is Iustis. Where I'm from is a bit of a difficult question for me, it seems appropriate to say that I'm from a somewhat nomadic tribe, though I was not born into it. My goal is to gain the strength to protect the helpless, and prevent tragedies in the future. I expect for this camp to provide guiding principles, to not lead us to a path of chaos, but to uphold justice and righteousness in our dealings.

He glances around to gauge the reactions of his soon to be comrades-at-arms before shifting back into his seat.

GuyFawkes
2014-08-25, 12:39 AM
Killiam nods as everyone finishes. "Quite an interesting bunch we have here," he says, though his face shows anything but interest. In fact, it shows no emotion at all.

"Now we have taken that out of the way, a little test of your knowledge on different matters. First one is easy. Can anyone tell me the name of the third son of the fifth concubine of the king of the kingdom of Oas to the west of here?"

The answer is Joaquim.

SaintRidley
2014-08-25, 12:59 PM
Ru just shrugged. The only things Rudy knew about the royal family of Oas were things relating to old kings who rode into battle, not the minutiae of their genealogy.

Cheesy74
2014-08-26, 07:16 PM
Igne rolls his eyes and tinkers with the binding rings on his thaumic foci. A few sparks and ominous glows emanate from his hands as he takes a tiny screwdriver to the edges.

Igne has no idea about nobility or (honestly) geography of this plane in general.

GuyFawkes
2014-08-27, 05:45 AM
"No one? Perhaps nobility is not in your interests. You might find it of little use to you to know about the intricacies of the few who have the power to do anything they so wished with the lives of so many, but you will soon find out otherwise. Especially in this line of work. Knowledge about who you are dealing with is key. And we will mostly be dealing with them, both as clients and as targets."

"Very well. Perhaps this is more your speed." With a few subtle movements, a figure suddenly emerges beside the instructor. The image is that of a tall, demonic-like creature, with a broad, muscular body. Two of its four arms end in clawed hands and two end in powerful pincers. It possesses a dog-like head, with two prominent horns and many smaller ones behind it, and its muzzle is full of sharp teeth.

http://pathfinderwiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/c/ca/Bezilak.jpg/250px-Bezilak.jpg
"Can anyone identify what this creature is?"

You know the creature to be a glabrezu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm).

Aegis013
2014-08-27, 08:48 AM
Iustis responds "The creature is a Demon. A force of Chaotic Evil thought to come from the Infinite Layers of the Abyss known as a Glabrezu. These creatures often stand a dozen feet tall or more, and are both dangerous due both to their combat prowess and their cunning attempts at tempting mortals into evil." folding his arms across his chest as he speaks.

GuyFawkes
2014-08-27, 12:14 PM
Killiam nods.

"At least one of you knows this. Good enough. Here," he hands the papers to Iustis. "Get one and pass. I assume you all can read? I will give you five minutes to do so, then another five for questions and clarifications."

The Blood Carnival is an independent fighting force. As such, it owes no allegiance to any sovereign state, nation, power, entities, or individual. It does, however, lend its services to any and all sovereign states, nations, power, entities, or individuals. Such services include, but may not be limited to:

Deployment of manpower
Buying and/or Selling of any information of interest
Arbitration between two or more disputing sovereign states, nations, power, entities, or individuals
Training of standing armies and/or other military/paramilitary/militia forces

Services to be rendered shall incur remuneration, the exact details of which to be discussed and agreed upon by qualified Blood Carnival personnel and the client before such services are to be rendered. This is materialized in the form of a written contract to be signed by both parties.

All requests for services must be duly submitted through proper channels for processing. Should a request be given to a member of the Carnival, said member is to submit the request to the Requests Committee for processing and approval. Requests that are not processed and recognized by the Requests Committee shall not be honored by the Carnival as a legitimate request, and any consequence of the actions committed within that request, the Carnival shall hold no liability whatsoever.

Entering into contracts with both, or in case of multiple factions, two or more sides of any armed or unarmed conflict is strictly prohibited. This applies to all types of services the Carnival is able to render. As a corollary, any contract that deploys a Joker against other Jokers in other missions is strictly prohibited.

All contracts are to be fulfilled by any Joker assigned to the utmost of his or her ability. Failure to do so shall mean failure of the contract, and the client is relieved of any of its responsibilities stated in the contract. The assigned Joker/s is/are to undergo investigation.

All contracts are on a need-to-know basis. Only the Carnival Head Committee, the Requests Committee, and the client are to be privy of all manners of relevant information regarding the contract. Assigned Jokers are given only what is enough for them to execute their mission. Divulging of information, unless through proper request and contract, is a capital offense.

Personal conflict between two or more Jokers is strictly prohibited. If there is a need for violence to settle a dispute, the parties involved should request for an official duel, to be witnessed by three or more Jokers not involved with the said dispute.

Divulging of information regarding the Carnival to any outside entity is a capital offense.

Jokers are free to take any mission that is within his/her capabilities. At the same time, accepting of missions is not compulsory.

Compensation for Jokers is stipulated in the contract for each mission he or she undertakes. A Joker may request for additional compensation should the completion of the mission entail factors not stated in the contract, to be reviewed and approved by the Compensation Committee.

Jokers are free to utilize all facilities and amenities provided by the organization. In cases of deployment, Jokers can make use of equipment as deemed necessary for the completion of the contract.

Jokers are free to leave the Carnival at any given time. To do so, he or she must submit a formal request to the Head Committee and undergo an interview for the process to be finalized and recognized. Former members are hereby relieved of all duties and responsibilities of a Joker, as well as all privileges of one. Any Joker who does not comply with this shall be considered a full member, and thus must still abide by the rules of the organization.
A person is considered a recruit once he or she has undergone the orientation up until he or she graduates. Basic training course lasts for two years, and another year is used for field training.

All recruits must follow the commands of the overseer.

All recruits must follow the commands of their group instructor.

In cases where the group instructor's commands conflict that of the overseer, the overseer's commands always takes priority.

In cases where the overseer's or group instructor's command is in conflict with the rules and regulations for recruits, the rules and regulations take priority.

During the course of the training, the Carnival shall provide free food and lodging for all recruits.

Recruits shall utilize a color-coding system for all matters regarding their personal belongings and those granted to them for use in training. Possession and/or use of equipment and/or objects not color-coded to the recruit is strictly prohibited.

All recruits must use standard equipment to be provided by the training facility during training, unless otherwise instructed. Use of equipment other than those provided is strictly prohibited.

All recruits can use any facility during the allotted time of use only. He or she may apply for personal use of any facility outside of such times, to be submitted to his or her group instructor, and await approval from the Training Committee. Approval is subject to availability of the facility during the time slot applied for, as well as the intended us.

All concerns and queries regarding training or other matters must be addressed to the group instructor only. Bypassing the group instructor is strictly prohibited.

All recruits must observe the proper time in eating, sleeping, and taking baths. Doing such activities outside of allotted times is strictly prohibited.

Destruction of Carnival property is strictly prohibited and penalized accordingly.

All violations shall be monitored by the group instructors and, depending on the severity of each case, shall either be considered a minor or major offense. Committing a minor offense shall earn a corresponding punishment to be decided by the group instructor. A major offense shall be elevated to the Training Committee for investigation, after which corresponding punishment shall be issued by them.

A recruit can only commit 2 major offenses. A third shall result in immediate expulsion. 3 minor offenses constitute 1 major offense.

By signing in as a recruit, a person willingly agrees to undergo all training done in this facility. He or she also agrees to abide by all the rules stated in this Rules and Regulations Guide. In case of serious injury that may result to permanent disfigurement or death, the recruit also agrees that the Carnival is not in any way liable or responsible, except for cases where foul play is found.

AsDeR
2014-08-27, 06:53 PM
Arkom reads through the papers handed to him, with careful handling to not burn them.
He looks at all the prohibitions and rules, and starts feeling trapped. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.
Memories of his time on the forest with the druid that trained him dance arround his mind. Right after he remembers the reason why he is here.
This is nothing. Just play along.

Arkom sees a point where he needed clarification. "Three years? How does one become a Joker faster."

SaintRidley
2014-08-27, 07:31 PM
"Pursuant to that," Ru adds, "If one of us needs to put in an appearance at a campus of the Arcane Order every six months, would it be possible to arrange for a day's leave of absence in order to do so?"

GuyFawkes
2014-08-27, 11:48 PM
"You don't," the instructor replies dryly to Arkom. "As for you," he looks at Ru, "that will not be necessary. We have a lot of members who are in high standing within the Order. You will report to them and do the requisite commissions through them. I will hand you the details on this later."

"Any one else who have similar concerns?"

Aegis013
2014-08-28, 03:06 AM
Iustis inquires "If we generate our own equipment, is that a violation of the rules? I see it says we're only supposed to use equipment assigned and coded to us, but does that prohibit spontaneous creation of our own weapons? It seems prudent to ask now to avoid a potential infraction."

GuyFawkes
2014-08-28, 11:26 AM
"Yes, even those. As you may recall we had you list your preferred weapons on your sign up forms, so we will be providing you with every possible weapon you might need." Killiam replies.

"We will also provide healing scrolls as necessary."

Weikel
2014-08-28, 02:14 PM
Malkon only skims the rules, but does so slowly enough that it seems like he had enough time to have read them all. When the others ask questions, Malkon looks back down at the rules in his lap, figuring out exactly what it is they are referring to. At this last question Malkon clears his throat. "Is that just for the training or can we only use these color coded pieces of equipment at all while we work for the carnival? Also, how much of the color will be on the armor and clothing? It might be useful for stealth if the equipment isn't vibrant and colorful."

I guess I'll have to be careful about not messing up here. Or at least about not getting caught. It sounds like worst case scenario I get kicked out of the carnival and go back to where I was before. Not a very discouraging punishment. Malkon thinks as he looks back over the rules.

Cheesy74
2014-08-28, 10:24 PM
Igne looks down at his interlinked plates and glowing generators. "So I get to keep this, right? I signed on as an engineer, not to learn how to fight with a sword or whatever." His lighthearted manner has given way to a much more frantic mood.

GuyFawkes
2014-08-29, 02:27 PM
"Little enough for it to not be a hindrance, big enough for you to know it is your personal equipment. I assure you it will not hamper you in manners of stealth."

Killiam then looks at Igne. "You may keep it, but not use it. You may only do so when I tell you you can use it." He then turns to everyone. "For those of you who rely on your weapons or armor, this will be a good opportunity to learn how to be without them. And in doing so, you will be learn how to utilize them fully at the time when you will be allowed to use them once more."

"Are there any more questions?"

SaintRidley
2014-08-30, 02:25 AM
"I don't."

Weikel
2014-09-01, 11:28 AM
"Sounds like an interesting way to learn. I don't have any more questions."

GuyFawkes
2014-09-02, 09:43 AM
"Very well." Killiam nods and stands up from sitting on the desk. He then puts his hand underneath his coat and produces a scroll. He then gives it to the one closest to him.

"We are done here. For the next part, it would be about introducing you to the entirety of the camp. A tour. But I figured that would suffice. A map. You have the rest of the day off, so you may want to explore the camp using that, but be sure to be back at the mess hall for dinner by six and report to your sleeping quarters by seven. Tomorrow, I shall see you at your room by seven in the morning. That is all. Dismissed."

As you open up the scroll, you see a quite detailed map of the training facility. As you can see, the whole facility is roughly divided into four sectors by two large streets that divides the facility lengthwise and crosswise. Smack dab in the middle is a large oval labeled the Training Grounds. To the northwest, you can see it is lined with lots of buildings, and is labeled the Trainee's Quarters. One of the larger buildings here is labeled the Trainee's Dormitories; you figure this is your sleeping quarters. And where you are now must be some of the buildings here.

To the north-east is a big rectangular area which is just blank. The only thing written on it are the words The Field. Below the field, the south-east sector, is labeled The Zoo, and from the looks of it, is mostly trees. Only a small group of buildings grouped into a circular arrangement in the middle of a small forest can be seen here, and it is labeled the Arcanum Ward.

The south-west quadrant is labeled the Shop Quadrant, where there are lots of buildings and labels that sound like shop names. At the center of the quadrant is a large square labeled Carnival Plaza.

Weikel
2014-09-05, 02:56 AM
Malkon takes a look at the map in one of his companion's hands without actually taking hold of it. "So, would you guys care to explore the grounds with me? I'd like to at least get a look at the whole place tonight so that I have a better idea of how it's all laid out. I'd rather not get lost later because I didn't care to explore today." He looks around, hoping that the others enjoy his company enough to accompany him.

SaintRidley
2014-09-05, 10:11 AM
"Why not. Lead the way," Ru said. "I like the sound of the Arcanum Ward myself."

AsDeR
2014-09-09, 09:02 PM
Arkom shrugs.
"We should check all of them anyway." He stands up and goes out, waiting for the others to start moving.

Cheesy74
2014-09-10, 11:05 AM
Igne has been sitting silently with a mixture of disbelief and indignation on his face at Killiam's response for a while now. He eventually collects himself and wanders shakily toward the group. "I'm headed to the shops to see what's good to eat around here," he manages with flat affect. "Look for the biggest tavern and I'll probably be inside."

He gives the map a quick once-over to confirm his route and sets off with a quick hiss of escaping air from his armor.

GuyFawkes
2014-09-21, 11:18 AM
The group spends the rest of the day looking around the rest the camp has to offer. After you have decided that they have had enough, you proceed to the mess hall to have dinner. Your meal goes on uneventfully, and soon you decide to go back to your room. After a few minutes, it is lights out and your first day is done.

You awake the next morning more rested than the night before, maybe having settled in to your accommodations and routine. After having your breakfast and done your morning rituals, you sit outside your room, waiting for Killiam as instructed. Ten minutes before seven, you see him walking towards you. He is not alone; behind him are two men helping each other to carry a large wooden chest.

"Good morning. I trust you had a good rest?" Killiam asks as he walks past you and towards your room. He opens it and points at the two men carrying to put down the chest against the wall opposite the door. The two shuffle their way in and place the chest down as instructed.

"Would that be all, Master Killiam?"

"Yes, thank you."

"But of course. Just call us anytime!" the older looking man replies, and the two bow before leaving.

"Come inside," Killiam calls out to you. Once all of you are inside your room, he closes the door and walks towards the chest. From one of the pouches on his belt, he produces a ring of keys and he bends down to use one of them to open the lock. In a single twist, you can hear the lock click open and he swings the top cover up and open, revealing the contents within: assorted weapons and armors, all tagged with a simple emblem in the color you chose to represent your group.

"As discussed yesterday, you will be provided standard equipment. We have taken into consideration the things you wrote down on your sheets during sign up to provide you with all the equipment you will need. You will find those inside here. This chest is a magical device that holds an extra dimensional storage inside, so you can store more than its size would suggest. You can use it to store all your personal items that you won't be using, like your weapons and magical devices for safekeeping. It is magically enhanced to be able to withstand heavy blows, as well as warded magical locks that will allow only your members to open it. It is coupled with a lock made by our finest smiths that can be opened only with these keys," he holds up the ring of keys he used earlier. "Each member will have one. If somebody tries to open it without using these, the keys will glow to notify you of it. Here," he hands out the keys. "Keep it safe. If you were to lose it, you would have to pay for making a new one yourself. And these things are not exactly cheap."

As soon as you have one key each, Killiam continues. "Go ahead, get your new equipment. You will be using them today."

SaintRidley
2014-09-21, 09:17 PM
Ru is the first to approach the chest. So long, beautiful armor. Hello dull gray - there's something just ungraceful about it.

"Thank you, sir," Rudy says as she pockets her key. Maybe Ru could use the Spellpool to find a way to store the key.

Weikel
2014-09-23, 03:21 AM
After Ru, Malkon approaches the chest, removing his chain shirt as though it were made of cloth and placing it within. Then his knife strip and sword belt, followed by his gloves. Finally he pulls his bag off, but hesitates for a moment.
"I've heard rumor of bad things happening when two extra dimensional spaces are placed inside one another. My bag has its own magical storage, will there be a problem here?"

GuyFawkes
2014-09-23, 11:55 AM
"Rumors founded on facts. Please keep your bag elsewhere. And it is not necessary to keep your belongings inside, you just cannot use them during training. Should you wish to store them someplace else that you think will be safe is to your discretion. We will not, however, be liable for the loss of said items, although we will investigate such incident."

Killiam then moves towards the door. "Is everyone ready?"

AsDeR
2014-09-23, 07:48 PM
Arkom looks at the weapons and armor coded with his chosen color, but he is not sure about using them. Even when his mentor taught him how to fight, and when to fight, Arkom still felt anxious about what he could become. And how others might judge him.
It's not easy looking like this... but this is who I am. Arkom looks at his hands for a second and decides to leave the equipment for later.

He follows Killiam near the door. Killiam looks at his empty hands. Arkom notices. "I expect to find my way of fighting here. One I can call my own."
He looks back at his new teammates, admiring how they all accept and put on the equipment as part of themselves. A feeling of good envy makes him to look down.

Arkom waits to follow killiam and the rest outside.

SaintRidley
2014-09-24, 12:43 AM
"Ready as I'll get, I figure," Ru says. The new armor feels isn't terribly comfortable. Just needs breaking in, Ru thinks.

Weikel
2014-09-24, 02:02 AM
"Glad I asked." Malkon says as he reaches into the bag and pulls out a wand, depositing it into the chest before putting the bag under his bed. He then pulls from the chest significantly less impressive looking weapons and a duller chain shirt, his old one having a slight gleam to it. After donning the new equipment, he follows the others out the door.

GuyFawkes
2014-09-25, 01:32 AM
"If you are all ready, follow me."

Killiam leads you outside and down the path leading out of the dormitories. You take a familiar street that leads towards the training grounds. Upon reaching it, you take a left and down a path towards the west. Not long, you see the distinct sight of the walled-off quarters which should be the one marked on the map as the Field.

Arriving at the junction, you take the road parallel to the wall that leads north, and after a few minutes, about a hundred paces after, Killiam stops and turns towards the wall. He walks closer and places his hand on it. Upon inspection, that particular section seems unremarkable, but after a few moments, the area touched by the instructor seems to depress into the wall and after a few inches, slides to the right, revealing a rectangular hole the size of a normal door. Killiam looks back at you and motions for you to follow him inside.

Stepping into the hole in the wall, the door behind you closes as everyone gets in, and you find yourself in a room, or more like a hallway, extending to your left and right. The wall behind you is unadorned, except with lanterns that glow with the unmistakable glow of magic placed at intervals throughout the wall's length. The wall opposite it, on the other hand, looks to be the same except with identical-looking doors set in between the lanterns. There are a few people walking to and fro, and one of them approaches Killiam.

"Good morning, Master Killiam," the man says with a slight bow.

"Good morning, West. Is my room ready?"

"Yes, sir. Right this way please."

The man called West leads you towards your left, and after about ten doors down, he stops and turns to your instructor.

"Here is your reserved room, sir. Is there anything else you will be needing?"

"Not at the moment, no. Thank you." Killiam replies.

"Very well, sir," West bows again, turns and walks away.

Killiam moves towards the door and pushes it open, ushering you inside. The inside of the room, you find is nothing but a square room, about twenty feet to a side. Opposite the door you entered is another door, and there is a long bench on the wall to your right. On the corner to your left is a small cabinet, and beside it, centered on the wall to your left is a rectangular mirror. He then points at the bench.

"Sit down." Once you have all settled down, he begins.

"Welcome to the Field. This is where we do most of our training. Made by complex devices and magic, it may look simple on the outside but it takes a lot of manpower to operate this facility. As you have seen, this place is made up of a long hallway parallel to the wall you see outside. Opposite are numerous identical-looking doors that lead to identical-looking rooms, such as this one, and similarly furnished."

"There are two important parts to this room. That door and that mirror," he points to the door opposite the one you entered in and the mirror facing you. "That door serves as a dimensional door that is keyed to open to certain locations within the Field that the requester of the room has previously arranged for. It will only open from this side though, so once you go inside and close it, you cannot go out until it is opened from this side, or at the end of the day, when you will be forced shunted out of the area and back here. That mirror is a scrying device. It will show what is going on inside the area you are in. This helps when not everyone is sent inside, and also for me to monitor what you are doing inside."

"Now, with that out of the way, let us begin. For starters, you will be facing off with five opponents. Should be nothing you cannot handle. It is but for me to see your natural tendencies in battle. All right, everyone go in."

Once you all step through the door, it disappears, and you find yourself in another square room, this one larger and the top open to the sky. The ground is natural terrain instead of worked stone like the room you came in, and the walls look to be made of steel. To the opposite side, you find five men all wearing similar armor and bearing similar weapons.

"You may begin," the magically amplified voice of Killiam tells you.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86182)
Initiative:
Malkom: (1d20+9)[26]
Arkom: (1d20+6)[22]
Thugs: (1d20+1)[19]
Igne': (1d20+4)[14]
Ru: (1d20+1)[7]

Weikel
2014-09-25, 02:50 PM
Malkon looks to the threat in front of him, quickly deciding that the best course of action is to stab them. Malkon looks to Arkom, then says "Back me up big man." Then, without waiting for a response, he charges to the nearest enemy, drawing his blades in the process. As he runs, his short swords go through some intricate spins and movements, making it impossible to tell where they are, then he meets his foe.

Swift action to enter Island of Blades stance (if me and an ally are both adjacent to an enemy, we flank it). Charge to I2, drawing both short swords and attacking H1 enemy.
Attack roll:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2] Sneak Damage
Current AC:16

AsDeR
2014-09-25, 05:30 PM
Arkom enters the room decided to pass the test they were about to face. But as soon as he sees the five figures he freezes. What have this persons do to deserve being attacked like this? he realizes that he has never actually attacked someone. He has been training or protecting his own life.

Malkom talks to him "Back me up..."
You can't stand here and do nothing. he thinks to himself, finding some resolve.

Arkom advances, following Malkom, but he does so carefully, avoiding direct contact with the thugs. He stands near Malkom, providing as much support as he can, helping Malkom avoid the incoming flurry of attacks.

I'm going to make a little bit of a learning curve with Arkom and combat. Please bear with me.

Arkom moves 50' to g3 as a move action.
Uses Dutiful Duardian with Malkom (Malkom +2dodge, Arkom -2 attack) as a free action.
And slam attacks defensively the thug on h1 trying to make non lethal damage(if he is already dead, readied action and attack to the first one to move closer) as standard action.
Attack: 1d20+16-2-4-4+2 Damage: [roll0]
AC: 27

NEW MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86350)

AsDeR
2014-09-25, 05:31 PM
Well this is new, I did not know there was a character limit on rolls :P

[roll0]

GuyFawkes
2014-09-26, 09:19 AM
Malkom kicks things off, charging into the midst of the enemy. The quick attack and intricate weaving of his swords confuse the thug and as he brings up to defend himself from Malkom's leading sword, he fails to notice the real attack, a low stab angled upwards just below the rib. The force of the blow sends the thug stepping backwards. Before he could even regain his defensive stance, the hulking Arkom presses the offensive, slamming at the man from behind Malkom with his long reach. The thug could only hope to block, but the weight of the attack blows through his defense, knocking him unconscious and crumpling to the ground.

Not to be fazed, the other thugs move in a pincer attack, the two to the right going for Malkom, the other two at Arkom. Malkom easily dodges the first attacker, but as he steps to the side to avoid the swing, he makes himself vulnerable to the second thug. He braces for the impact, and though his armor reduces most of the damage, it does make his arm numb.

The other two going at Arkom charges in at the same time, but the half-minotaur's reach make it hard for them. He swings at the first thug that comes close, but the man ducks under Arkom's long arm and continues his charge, catching him off-guard and getting in a slash at his leg. The last thug follows, using his companion as distraction, but while he does get within Arkom's reach without problems, his thrust only glances off armor.

ROUND 1

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86387)

Initiative:

Tactical:
1 thug down.
Malkom receives 9 damage.
Arkom gets hit with 7 damage.

SaintRidley
2014-09-26, 09:15 PM
Ru studies the situation for a moment. Five thugs and one almost immediately knocked unconscious attempting to initiate a pincer flank, best to weaken or eliminate the pincers. She sighs and steps forward a little in order to better aim. With each hand she points, directing her rays at f4 and i3. "Burn," she says.

Attack (ranged touch) and damage to f4 (this ray will benefit from Warmage Edge): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack (ranged touch) and damage to i3: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Map updated. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86460)

GuyFawkes
2014-09-26, 11:11 PM
Ru steps forward and points at two of the enemies, one on each side of the hulking Arkom. She collects magical energies and whispers "Burn", and in an instant, the two is hit with rays of fire. The two scream from the pain, tugging at their armor that heats up from the ray, but they still stand to fight.

Meanwhile, Igne' is stuck at the back, banging at his armor. "Dammit, giving me this crap, they dare. Equal quality, they say. This shoddy workmanship?! Nowhere near my own!" Igne' complains loudly as he tries to activate the weapons on the substitute armor he was given. "How do you even work this thing?!"

He lets out an "Aha!" as he successfully operates his weapon, but by the time he opened the arm cannons, the battle is already well underway. He surveys the battlefield, and with Rudy stepping forward, he only gets a clear shot at one of their opponents. He levels his arms towards his target and squeezes his gauntlet, firing off the cannons. His first shot goes wide, but the second one find its mark.

"Bah! Even the balance is off!"

ROUND 2

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86462)

Initiative:

Tactical:
1 thug down.

AsDeR
2014-09-27, 12:03 AM
Arkom gets tense as eveything in the room turns arround combat. His roomates seems to be ready for this, they are naturals. He sees himself as a kid trapped in a room.
The thugs don't seem to care about the fight not going their way, and Arkom thinks for a seconds that they might be a different group of trainees trying to pass a test, just like them.

But over all his wild thinking, he sees Malkom bleeding. Arkom has been hit, but the pain is forgotten as he sees Malkom's wound. "No... don't!" he whispers as he slams a thug away from Malkom, harder than his last attack, as if forgetting about his previous carefulness.

Save vs Will DC5 or enter rage because of the wound [roll0]

Free action +2dodge bonus to Malkom, -2 attack to Arkom.
Standard, attack the thug that wounded Malkom. [roll1] Damage [roll2]
Current AC: 25

Same map, no modifications.

Weikel
2014-09-27, 03:59 AM
Malkon looks to Arkom as he takes down the one who had hit him, seeing another enemy to Arkom's other side about to strike the big man. Seizing the distraction, Malkon takes a step in and swings with both blades at vital spots.

Malkon takes a 5' step to H2 and full attacks G2:
Attack 1:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2] Sneak Damage

Attack 2:[roll3]
Damage:[roll4]+[roll5]

If Attack 1 kills the enemy, if possible redirect the second attack to I1. In that case, attack is at a -2 from above (not flanking) and does not deal sneak damage to that enemy.

Malkon and Arkom both get flanking bonuses to G2 and any other enemy they both are adjacent to.
AC:20

GuyFawkes
2014-09-27, 09:25 AM
The impromptu pair of Arkom and Malkom works like they are not fighting side by side for the first time, picking off each other's adversary. Arkom reacts to the thug attacking the rogue, swatting at him with more force than his previous attacks, and with the damage he sustained from Ru's and Igne's attacks, the thug is lifeless at the moment of impact. Malkom, meanwhile, swings to the left, his blades still dancing their deadly rhythm. He takes the opening while the target is busy with Arkom and his blades plunge in swiftly and precisely, his leading weapon finding the hollow of the man's throat and the other burying itself on the narrow opening between the back of the man's helmet his armor. The rogue quickly retracts his swords and the thug slumps down, clutching his throat and gurgling with his own blood.

With their numbers quickly dwindling, the two remaining thugs are visibly shaken, but instead of backing off, they grit their teeth and leap forward. Their movements are clearly affected, however, with their swings careless and wide so the duo simply parries the attacks with little effort.

ROUND 2

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86501)

Initiative:

Tactical:
3 thugs down.

SaintRidley
2014-09-27, 08:12 PM
Ru casually walks over to j6. Three down, two left. Better to pound the healthiest one down for Malkon. "Fly true and unerring, little ones," she whispers as she conjures three magic missiles and sends them flying toward the thug in i1.

[roll0]

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86545)

GuyFawkes
2014-09-28, 03:00 AM
Ru walks closer into the action and points at the thug engaging Malkom. Out of the finger of her tips issues three magical energy darts and flies towards the target, slamming squarely into its chest. The man surely feels the damage, but he continues to swing his sword at the rogue.

Igne' continues to tinker with his arm cannons at the other end of the room, and when he feels he did enough to suit his needs, he levels them again and fires another volley of shots, this time at the thug going against Arkom. This time, his missiles both find their target.

"Hmm, good enough."

ROUND 3

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86558)

Initiative:

Tactical:
3 thugs down.

Weikel
2014-09-28, 11:34 AM
Malkon rubs his blades together, the metal sparking just a little. But instead of the spark disappearing or flying off in a random direction, it seems to just sit on the end of one of the blades, growing a little before he flicks it towards the enemy. The spark forms into the shape of a small person next to Malkon's enemy. As soon as the thug's attention is on the small fire, Malkon strikes.

Swift action to use Distracting Ember placing a small fire elemental in square I2. Full attack on enemy at I1, treated as flanking with the elemental.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2] Sneak attack damage

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage:[roll4]+[roll5] Sneak attack damage

Elemental goes away at end of turn, so no map changes.

AsDeR
2014-09-28, 02:48 PM
Arkom moves back, giving the last standing thug space. "Enough, there is no reason to keep fighting, you can't win. Surrender." his voice is deep but some kind of fear makes it tremble. "I don't want to hurt you."

Arkom's stand is wary of the thug's decission.

Move back to h3 and ready an attack in case he comes closer to me or Malkon

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86595)

GuyFawkes
2014-09-29, 01:02 AM
Malkon's blades spin furiously, hitting each other at times, creating sparks. After a few more times, the spark becomes a flame, and in one swift motion, he flicks it towards his enemy. His opponent deftly dodges it, but that was not the point. Suddenly, out of the corner of the thug's eye, he sees a flash. He turns and is taken aback as a humanoid wreathed in flames is standing behind him. That is the last thing he sees as Malkom's twin blades drive home, one on either side of his chest.

With all of his comrades on the ground, the last remaining thug is loses his will to fight. He raises his sword, but fights defensively, and when Arkom offers him a chance to surrender, he sighs and drops his weapon. He raises his arms and kneels on the ground, accepting defeat.

"The battle is over," comes the echoing voice of Killiam. "Come out and join me back in the waiting room."

As Killiam speaks, you notice the door where you came in from reappear and swing open.

SaintRidley
2014-09-29, 01:11 AM
Ru walks out the door. She glances back at the thug. Unless they were condemned prisoners.... Maybe they're highly potent illusions and not actual bodies. Or perhaps specially created summons? Maybe...

She takes a good long look at the sole remaining thug before she leaves. "I wonder..." she mumbles.

[roll0]

Toward identifying if they're at all spell-based rather than natural creatures.

Weikel
2014-09-29, 02:33 AM
Malkon looks to the frightened thug, then back at those who did not make it through the fight. I may have been the first to take a swing, but if I had not, they surely would have. That is what I learned while on the road, that is why I belong here. I have no idea who these men are, but the only difference between now and before, is that it will actually put money in my pockets and food in my stomach. With that rather dark thought going through his mind, Malkon wipes his blades off on the shirt of one of the slain. Then he sheathes them and follows Ru towards the exit, his face hiding the depressive track of mind his thoughts had taken him down.

GuyFawkes
2014-09-29, 02:55 AM
Ru looks back at their defeated opponents as she walks towards the door. She tries to discern if they were illusions rather than real people, and upon studying them and basing on their response during the fight when getting hit and when they hit her comrades, the facts point to the latter.

Back at the waiting room, Killiam welcomes you back. "How was it? Pretty easy for you perhaps? Oh before that, do check the cabinet there," he points at the cabinet at the corner. "There are wands and potions inside to heal your injuries."

OOC: Nevermind what wands or potions there are. There are enough to heal all of you. And they are replenished everyday, so yeah.

AsDeR
2014-09-29, 06:30 AM
Arkom looks at Killiam and stands there, clearly shaken, and asks directly. "Did you make us fight against innocent people just for trainning? What kind of sick game is this!"

He does not bother in healing himself. Not until he gets a satisfactory answer.

GuyFawkes
2014-09-29, 12:47 PM
Killiam stares at the towering half-minotaur for a few seconds, confusion clearly on his face.

"Sick game? I do not understand. Or perhaps it is you who do not understand what it is you came here for."

AsDeR
2014-09-30, 04:18 PM
"I came here for training, to become a Joker. That doesn't mean the training involves murder." Arkom's fear dissapear. "Where in that paper you gave us does it say that a Joker can murder people for no reason and no contract involved."
Arkom is not good with paperwork, but he doesn't remember the papers saying the Joker had no heart.

"So, who were that men..."

SaintRidley
2014-09-30, 10:01 PM
"Yes, I would like to know who they were. If they're deserters or spies, that's all the same. But I feel like I should know who someone is before I kill them," Ru says. "I'm a student of war, not murder."

GuyFawkes
2014-09-30, 10:47 PM
"No contract?" Killiam is clearly annoyed. "Clearly you are not paying attention. By entering this training facility, you have signed a contract. A contract to abide by the rules, and to follow your instructor. Me. I tell you to do this exercise, that is reason enough. I do not have to explain to you if they are innocent or not. When you do become Jokers, you are free to choose which missions to take, but while you are here in this facility, you will answer to me. That is your contract. That is your mission."

"Now if you are finished with your pointless thoughts, heal up. You will go inside again. Perhaps you thought it murder because they were beneath you? Perhaps those idiotic notions will cease to enter your mind when you are fighting for your lives, you at the mercy of their blades. You have five minutes. Heal yourselves or you will go in as is."

Weikel
2014-10-01, 01:50 AM
As the others seemed indignant and demanded answers from their instructor, Malkon headed directly for the healing potions. Downing a few, Malkon turns to listen to his companions and the instructor.

Looks like my companions haven't had to kill to eat. I don't know if these people deserve to die, but I do know that if I don't fight, I'll be back on the streets. Then I'd really have to murder for some food, rather than these staged fights with ample healing tonics on the other side of the door. While Malkon thinks all this, he says nothing, not wanting to be the outcast of the group, and also not having anything to add to their arguments.

AsDeR
2014-10-01, 06:15 AM
Arkom looks at Killiam in disgust "So you are a real Joker and we are cannon fodder... how many people have you killed to become one? Was it worth it?" Arkom knows he is pushing some buttons, but he can't resist. "What would happen if any of us were to die to a different group? Will you fail as an instructor?"
Arkom orcish accent and size does not much with his moral worries. His druid mentor made sure to instill morality into the wild beast he was.

He still refuses to heal himself, more worried about the event to happen next.

SaintRidley
2014-10-01, 10:19 AM
Ru pats the giant on the back. "Best to leave it be. We do not have the luxury of questions, and we will find no answers this way. Heal, fight, live, and then we can seek answers."

GuyFawkes
2014-10-02, 12:55 AM
With Arkom still going at it, Killiam obliges. "157 humans, 39 elves, 329 orcs, 12 dwarves, 684 goblinkin, 8 outsiders, 17 aberrant creatures, innumerable mindless monsters I did not bother to keep count."

He pauses for the words to sink in.

"Worth it? Never. And if you die, then you would have failed yourself. for surely that mentality would be the most probable cause of your demise. And knowing the disparity between your beliefs and the job description of a mercenary, you still choose to enlist and continue, leading up to said death. That rests on you as well. So no, I will not have failed you."

"Any more questions?"

AsDeR
2014-10-02, 08:15 AM
Arkom, exhasperated by the lack of morals of Killiam, turns arround, facing the door again.
He takes a second to answer Ru in a whisper "This is exactly what I fled from. Becoming someone's a mindless brute."

He stands in front of the door. Trying to figure out how to deal with this camp.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-02, 12:06 PM
As you step in through the door, you find yourself in another room. This one is much larger than the previous one, and looks way different. Whereas the previous one was a bare box, this one had terrain features: a small body of water in the middle, a bluff about twenty feet high at the far end, and trees and shrub scattered here and there.

Up on the bluff and across the water, you can see your opponents. As Killam had said, they are different from the ones you just faced. They look to be of different disciplines, clearly having the upper hand in the numbers game, and maybe a tad more tougher. And not so innocent-looking.

ROUND 1

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=86905)

Initiative:
Malkom: (1d20+9)[29]
Igne': (1d20+4)[24]
Archer: (1d20+3)[23]
Wizard: (1d20)[17]
Barbarian: (1d20+1)[16]
Fighter: (1d20+2)[13]
Ru: (1d20+1)[13]
Arkom: (1d20+6)[9]
Rogue: (1d20+3)[7]

Tactical:
The bluff is 20 feet high, and you can go up through the slope at j4 to m4.
Trees at c8-d9, g5-h6, and t12-u13 provide cover.

Weikel
2014-10-04, 12:44 AM
Malkon moves forward around the water, drawing one of his short swords and a dagger. With his right hand, his blade goes through intricate movements, a rather distracting display.

Swift action to enter Island of Blades stance. Move action to E16 drawing a short sword and a dagger. Ready an action to attack the first enemy who comes within 10'. If that first enemy stops within melee range, attack with a short sword, if that enemy stops past 5' from me, but within 10', attack with a throwing dagger.
If melee: Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
If range:Same attack roll -1
Damage[roll2]
New Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87077)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-04, 01:43 AM
Malkom is the first to react, drawing his sword and curiously, a dagger in his other hand and presses forward to the left. His weapons move intricately in a mesmerizing pattern, a dance promising quick and painless death for any who gets close. Igne' looks at the battlefield and immediately dashes to the right, looking for cover behind a tree.

The archers atop the bluff begin their assault, raining down arrows at the group. They then focus on the hulking figure of Arkom, but they could not pierce the half-minotaur's tough hide. The wizard also begins to chant his spell, his fingers wiggling through the necessary movements. In an instant, a cloud of glittering powder settles around Arkom and Rudy.

Below, the warriors ready their weapons but do not advance. They adopt a defensive stance and wait.

ROUND 1

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87080)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Arkom and Rudy must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be blinded for 4 rounds.

AsDeR
2014-10-04, 08:11 AM
Arkom protects himself with his arms from the arrows, he's never been a fan of being a big target. Once he puts down his arms he is surprised by the spell.
His sensible eyes absorb the glittery light too fast and he growls with pain when it blinds him.
"ARRRG! Damn lights!"

He has a flashback of the first time he saw the sun. It was beautiful, and warm. But it hurted his eyes.
His life at the underground cave never prepared him for that kind of brightness, but he fell in love with it.

Arkom returns to reality, he understands he has being neutralized, but he can still feel Ru' close. He reaches for her and moves closer to try and cover her from the incoming arrows.
Maybe he can turn being the "big target" into an advantage.

Arkom is blinded for 4 assaults. He moves 5' to j21 and tries to give cover to Ru'
Or at least, help her with his natural luck.
Combate expertise +4AC, blind -8 AC.
Total defense +4 dodge
Constant guardian +2AC for Ru'
Current AC: 25

And I will use Good Karma (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-scoundrel--60/good-karma--1244/) if she is hit.

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87098)

SaintRidley
2014-10-04, 08:45 AM
Ru's blinded by the light, but keeps her cool. Okay, this isn't the end. Just have to draw some energy from outside.

Ru kisses her ring and begins whispering a chant.

Full round action to draw the spell Dispel Magic from the Spellpool into her empty 3rd level slot, to be cast next turn. No change in the map.

edit - derp, forgot Dispel was a 3rd level spell.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-04, 09:03 AM
The spell proves to be effective, blinding both Arkom and Rudy, and setting them into the defensive. Meanwhile, the opponent near the base of the bluff moves along it to the left, behind the tree and the bushes.

ROUND 2

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87101)

Initiative:

Tactical:

Weikel
2014-10-05, 02:10 AM
After the last battle, Malkon seems to be fairly confident with himself, moving forward around the lake a bit more. As he comes near his opponent, he flings the dagger at the fighter.

Move to E12. Ranged attack Fighter at I8. Within the third range increment, -4 to attack roll.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
New Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87148)
Current AC:18

GuyFawkes
2014-10-06, 03:02 AM
Malkon steps even closer and flings the dagger at the closest fighter. His throw grazes the man's arm, but it does nothing more than enrage the man, and he comes charging at Malkon. He holds his sword on both hands to his right and swings out horizontally to the left, a powerful cut that would have severed a limb if only it hit.

On the other side, Igne' is tinkering once more with his gauntlets, muttering complaints about the new equipment. A cackling glow in the palm of the gauntlet signals his success, and he peaks out behind the tree and aims his palm at the fighter. The cackling energy intensifies and in a sudden burst shoots out a shock wave. Giggling in glee, Igne' fires again. The two shots rock the fighter, but does not do much damage. He instead rears his head down and charges in, his sword low, skimming the ground. At the last instant, the man holds the blade with both hands and thrusts upwards with a leap, hitting Igne's shoulder and piercing through his armor. A few steps behind him, the orc also charges in, his great axe up high and cuts down. Thankfully the attack from the swordsman gives Igne' enough separation and backward momentum to dodge the axe.

Up above, the archers and the wizard continue their barrage, with the two archers switching targets. The one on the left locks Malkon in his sights and lets fly. With the incoming swordsman gaining the rogue's attention, the missile goes through his defenses and sinks into Malkon's back. The archer on the right chooses Rudy as his next target, but like with Arkom, he does not find any success. The wizard meanwhile elects to keep pressuring Arkom, sending missiles of magical force from his fingertips that slams at the half-centaur's broad chest.

ROUND 2

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87235)

Initiative:
Malkon: (1d20+9)[29]

Tactical:
Igne' suffers 10 slashing damage.
Malkon receives 9 piercing damage.
Arkom is hit with 7 force damage.

SaintRidley
2014-10-06, 12:27 PM
The spell clicks into Ru's mind. Okay, Ru thinks. Just dispel the whole area. This stuff probably got Arkom too.

Dispel check [roll0]

No change in the map.

AsDeR
2014-10-07, 08:16 AM
We must take cover was on Arkom's head, he wanted to take Ru' with him and take cover someplace, but all that line of thought dissappeared suddenly, when he got hit by the wizard's second spell.
It felt like a whiplash on his back, and a sudden flashback of torture and punishment scenes crossed his mind.
"ROOOOOOOOAAAAGHH" Arkom growls loudly, turns in the direction where the magic attacks came from, and charges.

He runs wildly, despite being blinded, using his instict sense of direction and scent. Once he steps on water, he remembers the little pound and tries to jump over it.
Arkom throws away all the caution and defensive focus he had the previous rounds of combat. He wants that wizards and this is the fastest way to get to him...

Get into rage due to failed will save vs damage.
Move to i16 for a 20' sprint and jump over 30' of water to land in i10, half in land, half in water.
The blinded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm) condition sais I move at half my speed, so 25' insteaad of 50', but does that mean that I can't run?
If I can run, I move to i5.

Jump DC30 [roll0]
current AC 15
MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87304)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-07, 10:17 AM
The enraged Arkom's roar resonates through the room, prompting everyone to look at him for a split second. He stomps his hooves down and rushes forward and leaps, almost clearing the small pool in the center.

The shady character at the base of the bluff looks at the leaping half-minotaur, but shakes his gaze of and focuses at the nearby Malkon. He stalks forward and around, flanking the rogue. From under his cloak flashes his sword, quick enough that Malkon does not even see it, and he scores a solid stab at his kidney.

ROUND 3

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87307)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Malkon receives 17 piercing damage.

Weikel
2014-10-07, 12:40 PM
Malkon's back arches as both the arrow and then the rogue's blade stab into his back. This isn't looking good. Need to concentrate and ignore the bleeding in my back. With that thought, Malkon slowly exhales, eyes closed. Reopening his eyes, he studies the man in front of him's every inch, looking for any weak spot that can be exploited. Then he strikes, taking advantage of the temporary distraction of his attack to draw his other blade.

Initiate Sapphire Nightmare Blade Maneuver. Make a Concentration check vs enemies AC. If successful, enemy is considered flatfooted to my attack and it deals an extra 1d6, if unsuccessful, attack is at a -2 penalty.
Concentration check vs AC of fighter at F11:[roll0]
Attack:[roll1] (Subtract 2 if concentration check fails)
Damage:[roll2]
If Concentration check succeeds, deal an extra [roll3] piercing damage+[roll]3d6+6[roll] Sneak Damage

GuyFawkes
2014-10-09, 04:55 AM
Malkon grits his teeth and focuses on the warrior in front of him. His blades dance in tune with his opponents, and not too soon, he gets the perfect timing to sneak his sword into a gap, catching the swordsman underneath his arm, the blade sinking deep. He tries to shrug it off, but clearly Malkon did heavy damage, as he can barely lift his left hand. He swings furiously at the rogue and gets his revenge, his sword slashing Malkon's chest.

Igne' fires off another volley of repulsor blasts and retreats back behind the tree trunk. The fighter gets the full blast from Igne's attack, but presses forward. Enraged, he swings wildly at the armored elf, scoring a heavy hit. The orc circles around the other way, trying to cut off Igne's escape route. His axe surprises Igne' as the latter steps away from the swordsman, but the elf is fast enough to duck under the weapon and avoid a fatal hit.

The archers now focus on the rampaging Arkom, firing arrows after arrows. Two manage to hit him, one on the chest, the other on the arm. The wizard also finishes his next spell, and suddenly a pool of weird liquid appears in front of the half-minotaur.

ROUND 3

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87439)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Malkon receives 11 slashing damage.
Igne' is hit with 14 slashing damage.
Arkom is dealt 5 and 2 piercing damage. He must also succeed on a DC 15 Reflex save or fall prone.

SaintRidley
2014-10-09, 03:56 PM
Sighted again, Ru begins moving forward. Things got bad while I couldn't see, she thinks as she watches the wizard conjure a liquid in front of Arkom.

If successful, Ru shouts a warning about what's directly in front of Arkom.
[roll0]

Ru looks over to Malkon, who's getting hurt badly. There are two, an injured soldier and a suspicious figure. Better to kill the one than ineffectively harm both and let Malkon die.

"Burn," she says, twirling her fingers and sending two bolts of fire directly toward the injured soldier.

Ru to j19, Scorching Ray against the fighter in f11.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87553)

Ray 1 touch attack [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Ray 2 touch attack [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

AsDeR
2014-10-10, 08:56 AM
Arkom get's hit by both arrows. The one on the chest really hurts, but he keeps going.
The wizard casts a spell that makes the floor all slippery, and Arkom falls. "Arhhhh damn wizards!" he sais, greasy, glittery, and blind, on the ground. He feels bad. Controled.
I can't stop now, not like this- he hears Malkon battle going badly and for a second he is about try go help him, but Ru' chats a spell and the fighter screams, smelling burnt.

Ru' shouts at Arkom, explaining the situation, and the spell he is in. She must have regained his vision... "THANK YOU!" Arkom shouts, he puts his hand on the greasy ground, it starts boiling arround his hands.
He slides to his left, with a little jump and roll, trying to avoid the liquid and reach solid ground.

Stand up as a move action.
Reflex save DC15 or fall again [roll0]
Move 10 feet (50' half mvement because blinded, another half because grease) with balance check DC10 [roll1] end up in g9, right next to fighter2. He would have an AoO against me for moving. He's dead.
Current AC 17
Current SR 23
1 more round blinded
12 more rounds raging

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87616)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-10, 10:30 AM
Arkom continues to rage as another spell causes the floor to become slippery and make him fall hard onto the ground. He rolls and pushes himself back up, opening himself up for an attack from the swordsman menacing Malkon. As the man draws his sword up for the blow though, two searing rays of fire come streaking in from across the pond. One of them strikes the swordsman squarely on the chest, making him drop his weapon and howl in pain as his skin begins to bubble and burst. He drops down on the ground, writhing in pain.

With his flanking partner dropped, the lone thug engaging Malkon now is unsure of his next move. A dangerous rogue in front, a sorceress behind him, and an enraged hulk of a half-minotaur not too far. Not his type of battle. Sure the half-minotaur is blinded, but the spell could wear off any moment now.

But the rogue is obviously standing on wobbly legs...

His sword flashes forward.

And the blade glances off Malkon's armor.

ROUND 4

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87642)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Fighter 2 is dead.

Weikel
2014-10-10, 11:38 AM
With the pressure off from the fighter, Malkon turns to the rogue. Anyone watching both fights can see what he's doing, as Malkon again rubs the blades together. The fully formed small fire elemental stands next to the rogue, giving off heat that's impossible to ignore. And that is when Malkon strikes, getting both blades into the fray for the first time this battle.

Swift action to initiate Distracting Ember maneuver.
Full Attack the Rogue, flanking from elemental.
Attack 1:[roll0]
Damage Roll:[roll1]+[roll2] Sneak Damage

Attack 2:[roll3]
Damage Roll:[roll4]+[roll5] Sneak Damage
Current AC:20

GuyFawkes
2014-10-12, 01:30 AM
Malkon's fire elemental flanking trick works yet again, for even as his first attack is deflected by the rogue, his second bites deep into the man's side forcing him to back off. One of the archers notice his pressured comrade and targets Malkon. He fires his arrow, sinking it again on Malkom's back.

Igne', foolhardy as he is, sizes his situation and decides to make a run for it. He fakes a shot with his repulsor blaster and dashes off but the orc knows better, not missing the opportunity to strike. His strike, however, misses its opportunity to lay more hurt on the elf. Igne' sprints towards the base of the bluff, but the two keep up the pressure. The barbarian charges in front of him to cut him off, stopping Igne' in his tracks with a heavy axe cut that bangs hard on his chest armor while the swordsman follows, sword on the ready, to prevent him from going back the other way.

The other archer continues to fire at Arkom, but even with his target blinded, his arrows go wide. The wizard proves much more of a shot than the archer, finishing another spell and sending a coruscating ray at Arkom. The ray hits him on his back with enough magical power to pierce his defenses against magicks, and suddenly Arkom feels his body become heavier.

ROUND 4

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87813)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Malkon is hit with 9 piercing damage.
Igne' is dealt 9 slashing damage.
Arkom receives 7 penalty to Strength.

AsDeR
2014-10-12, 10:36 AM
Arkom hears the wizard's chant again What is it this time... when he feels the weight and fatigue suddenly come to his muscles Arg! Damn wizards! slowly recovering his sight, he feels he is close to him.
Ignoring the near combat between Malkon and the rogue, he stumbles his way into the bushed, until he touches the bluff's wall. Finally.

He starts climbing, tired and bleeding, but stubborn. "I'm going to get you, no matter what it takes!"

I suppose the bushes are difficult terrain, so move twice to reach e6 and climb up to e4 (35' on the ground, then 20' up? Or does it count as 15' of climbing as Arkom is already 7' tall?)
In case it's 20' of climbing, I can't reach the upper ground yet and I'm at e5 climbing. In case it's 15', I end up in e4 on my feet.
Climb (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/climb.htm) roll (I guess I need DC15+5 for accelerated?)[roll0]
Current AC 17
Current SR 23
0 more rounds blinded
11 more rounds raging

Edit: MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=87842)

Weikel
2014-10-12, 03:20 PM
Malkon cries out as the arrow is buried deep in his back. His last thought before he falls to the ground is whether this is the end.

Malkon is at -5 and dying.

SaintRidley
2014-10-12, 07:17 PM
Ru fixes her eyes on the wizard. Time to get you and your archer friend. But then she sees Malkon drop.

"Nobody dies on my watch."

Magic Missile against the guy who dropped Malkon. All three missiles. [roll0]

No change in map.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-14, 01:46 AM
Even with his valiant effort, Malkon finally succumbs to the pain as an arrow strikes him on his back. The rogue moves in and raises his sword to finish Malkon off, but the cold voice of Killiam fills the room.

"Go ahead and try it."

That line is all it takes to halt the man's action and he backs off.

"Che," he mutters as he surveys the battlefield. Up in front he sees Arkom going up the cliff face. Across the pond, he sees the armored Igne' being cornered by his two warrior comrades. To his back was the spellcaster.

The choice is clear.

He skirts the edge of the pool and goes to engage Rudy.

Meanwhile, Igne' is yet again cornered by the two pesky warriors. "Frackin'' bastards, get away from me!" he shouts as he steps to the side and sends two repulsor blasts against the swordsman. The blasts hit, but again the swordsman only grits his teeth and steps to cut off Igne' and catches him offguard with a low cut. The barbarian closes in from behind, taking the opening and bashing Igne' on the back.

The archers both focus on Arkom again, and with the huge target climbing, the target is easier to hit. Both stick arrows on the half-minotaur's back. The wizard also targets Arkom with the same spell as earlier, but this time, Arkom's magic defense holds up and the spells sizzles. Not even waiting to see the effect of his spell, the wizard backs away.

The spell, as earlier, is a ray of enfeeblement.
ROUND 5

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88053)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Malkon is down at -5. Roll d100 to stabilize or fall to -6.
Arkom is nailed with 2 and 5 piercing damage.
Igne' receives 5 and 10 slashing damage.

SaintRidley
2014-10-15, 01:50 AM
Ru takes a quick step back. "Die already and burn!"

Two rays burst from Ru's hands toward him.

Scorching Ray

Ray 1: touch [roll0] for [roll1] fire damage
Ray 2: touch [roll2] for [roll3] fire damage

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88149)

Hoping this can put him down with some good rolls.

AsDeR
2014-10-15, 12:22 PM
When he stands up at the top of the bluff Arkom can finally see again, as he blinks confused he looks arround. He sees the bloody arrows hanging from his body with both archers charging new rounds, Ru keeping the rogue at bay, the laying body of Malkon on the ground barely breathing, Igne' defendeing himself badly wounded... but nothing of that matters. The wizard is right there.

Even with his strenght drained by magic, Arkom is still quite a sight while charging. He bolts at the wizard, roaring wildly, his veins pumped, and his right armored fist hot red as he attacks at the wizard's face.
"It's your fault!"

Arkom moves to g1.
And attacks the wizard with all his might.
Slam [roll0]
Damage [roll1] bludgeoning plus [roll2] of fire.

Current AC 23
Current SR 23
10 more rounds raging

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88181)

Edit: Remember Arkom has the Mage Slayer (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/mage-slayer--1818/) feat

GuyFawkes
2014-10-16, 03:11 AM
Arkom finally reaches up to the mage, slamming him with all his fury. His fist connects, rocking the spellcaster's lanky body. He manages to regain his balance and begin casting a spell, but the half-minotaur does not give him time to, as he continues to pressure the mage with his heavy blows.

Behind him, the wizard notices Igne' running and looking for cover behind Arkom; apparently he concluded that seeking help from his towering teammate was the only way to rid himself of the two pesky warriors. The wizard decides to follow Igne's lead, and he similarly withdraws down the bluff and towards his companions. Big mistake, and that mistake takes the form of Arkom's long reach and deadly blow. The two archers fire their missiles at Arkom to cover his escape, with one hitting and piercing his tough hide. The orc goes after Igne' still, with the swordsman on his heels. However, the elf has managed to slink behind Arkom. If he wanted to go at him, he must engage the half-minotaur first. He does so, but Arkom's speed surprises him, and his axe goes wide.

Down by the pool, Ru sends a couple of rays at the rogue, one of them hitting the target. The rogue howls as his skin burns from the magic, but steps forward still and attacks. The damage though affects his movement, slowing his swing, and Ru dodges his attack handily.

ROUND 6

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88218)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Malkon is down at -5 and stable.
Arkom is hit with 5 piercing damage.

AsDeR
2014-10-16, 02:03 PM
Arkom growls when another arrow hits him, giving the archer a dead eye, but Igne' has attracted his two opponents to him, so there is still something he must do before engaging the range attackers.
He dodges the axe of the pursuer and uses the momentum to backhand slap him with all his strength, trying to get him out of the way.

If by any chance Barbarian 1 goes down, Arkom will move to i1.

Slam [roll0]

Current AC 23
Current SR 23
9 more rounds raging

Map unchanged.

SaintRidley
2014-10-16, 11:53 PM
"Need to do better than that. Now burn," Ru says as she sidesteps the attack.

[roll0] touch for [roll1] fire
[roll2] touch for [roll3] fire

I originally posted this and managed to screw up coding all the rolls.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88284)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-18, 12:32 AM
Ru steps back once more and fires off another pair of scorching rays. The first one misses wide but the other hits the rogue, and the damage coupled with the earlier one sends the man's senses into overload. He howls from the pain, but still steps forward to attack. Before he could complete the step, his legs give way and he is down on the ground still screaming.

The orc howls as well, his own a response to Arkom's blow, and enters a state of rage similar to the half-minotaur's. He steps to the side, allowing the swordsman behind him to continue his charge. Both attack Arkom simultaneously, but their coordinated assault does not faze him, and he manages to defend against the axe and the sword handily.

Behind him, Igne' is now free to do his thing, and he steps to the side to take a shot at one of the archers who already has his bow and arrow trained at him. The two exchange shots - Igne's repulsors against the archer's arrow - and the elf comes up the victor, with one of his concussive blasts hitting squarely on his target's chest. The other archer walks to the side to take a clear shot at Igne' as well, but his shot does not even come close.

ROUND 7

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88350)

Initiative:

Tactical:

AsDeR
2014-10-18, 06:39 AM
The fight is now close and personal, the way Arkom likes it.
He sees the orc in front of him enrage, and for a second he tries to contain himself, he doesn't want to hurt one of his own, as Arkom still considers himself an orc. But the raging barbarian attacks him yet again, using the help of his human ally, and Arkom can't help it when he hears his growl.
[orcish]"Go home before you regret this! And you will regret this!"
He hits the barbarian in the stomach, hoping it would be enough. But he does so with all his rage, flowing out of his hands in the form of heat.

Attack to the barbarian.
Slam [roll0]

Current AC 23
Current SR 23
8 more rounds raging

Map unchanged.

SaintRidley
2014-10-18, 08:08 AM
"Arkom, watch out! Incoming fire!"

Dropping a Fireball centered on the intersection of j1, k1, j2, and k2. 20 ft radius covers Arkom, the wizard's corpse, the two guys attacking Arkom, and avoids Igne' entirely.

[roll0] fire damage, half on a DC 16 Reflex save (missing my Cloak of Charisma right now)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-19, 01:17 PM
Arkom deals a heavy blow to the half-orc, but it is not enough to bring him down. The subsequent blast of fireball courtesy of Ru though is very much so, and he is down on the ground, scorched. The other fighter also gets burned, but he still manages to go on fighting, going at Arkom with a downward chop that cuts nothing but air.

Igne' fires off at the archer again, but this time, the archer gets the better of him, sinking one arrow into his stomach. The other archer also fires at the armored elf, and with that, Igne' goes down.

ROUND 8

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88465)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Igne' is down.

AsDeR
2014-10-19, 02:49 PM
Arkom hears Ru's warning, but he was concentrated in the combat against the raging barbarian and the fighter. He can't avoid the blasting fireball fast enough and it explodes right in front of him.
But when the fire is gone, and he sees the barbarian down, scorched, and the fighter with burns, he doesn't feel hurt. In fact, he feels invigorated.

Arkom remembers that during his recovery with the druid Nizz, they discovered he could not be harmed by mundane fires, but he can't remember a time that it actually healed him. He can see some of the arrows pull out out his body by a fast scar appearing behind them.
He looks at Ru, did she know about it? Wizards are scary and misterious, maybe...

The fighter attacks him when he is figuring out what is happening and he barely dodges it. When he snaps our of it, he sees Igne' going down, with arrows in nasty looking places.
Arkom recovers the burning rage he was feeling just a momonet ago and uses Igne's defeat as a source for empowering it.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Attack to the fighter.
Slam [roll0]

Fire heals 10 damage.
Current AC 23
Current SR 23
7 more rounds raging

Map unchanged.

SaintRidley
2014-10-19, 07:15 PM
Did he just heal? It looks like he healed.

"Feels good, don't it?" she shouts to Arkom. "Three left - let's take them down."

Ru begins moving toward the near archer, but casts a look in the direction of the far one. "Cool it," she says, summoning a storm of ice around the archer at t0.

SR yes, but no save. The effect lasts a full round, so I think that means that the spell is in effect until my initiative turn comes up again, in which case they'll take it for starting their turn among it still - full round durations always confused me a bit. All land movement will be half speed.

First round pummeling: [roll0] bludgeoning plus [roll1] cold.

Second round pummeling [roll2] bludgeoning plus [roll3] cold.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88498)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-20, 03:37 AM
Arkom funnels his rage from seeing Igne' go down into his fist, and he swings it hard at the swordsman. His emotions get the better of him though, as his opponent reads his attack and dodges it. The swordsman immediately counters, but Arkom's swing makes him step too far for his sword to reach the half-minotaur. Behind the two, one of the archers drop his bow and draws two short swords and bolts towards Arkom. He finds an opening and stabs his sword at Arkom's back with enough force to pierce through his tough skin.

On the other side of the bluff, the other archer is suddenly buffeted by hail and chilling winds. He puts his arms up to protect his face, and his body and arms are pelted hard by hailstone as he walks out of the spell's area of effect. When he clears it, he looks down and immediately sends an arrow, which finds its way to Ru's shoulder.

ROUND 8

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88519)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Arkom receives 8 piercing damage.
Ru takes 4 piercing damage.

AsDeR
2014-10-20, 11:29 AM
Arkom can't think clearly, he is sudenly surrounded, and the archer is no longer an archer and is stabbing him from behind!
He turns arround, trying to scape, and tries to hit the archer out of his way.

Move to g0
Attack to the archer.
Slam [roll0]

Current AC 23
Current SR 23
6 more rounds raging

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88591)

SaintRidley
2014-10-20, 12:36 PM
"Sonofa..." The arrow doesn't hurt much, but it hurts enough. Ru moves to d12.

Time to make this problem go away.

Centered at the point where j1, k1, j2, and k2 meet. Reflex DC 16 for half damage.

To beat Arkom's SR: [roll0]

Damage [roll1] fire

Hits Arkom, the archer in n1, and the fighter in i2.

Edit - Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88627), because I'm a dummy.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-21, 12:34 PM
Arkom's somewhat confused attack gives the archer a chance to step sideways, avoiding the huge fist by a hair. Arkom's miss is rectified by another ball of fire that blossoms and engulfs the trio in melee. The blast does not even scathe the half-minotaur one bit, but his opponents are not so lucky. The archer screams in pain from the burns he received; the swordsman is just toast. Despite the pain, the archer lashes out at Arkom with dual blades, but each motion causes his burned skin to stretch, bringing more pain and cuts his swings short.

The other archer continues to send his arrows down range, and they still keep finding Ru. This one only manages to graze her, but a hit nonetheless.

ROUND 9

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88721)

Initiative:

Tactical:
Ru is dealt 3 piercing damage.

SaintRidley
2014-10-21, 01:34 PM
Another arrow, this time grazing her cheek. Ru's hands start to shift color. Not now. Not when I need control.

"Arkom, take 'em down. We're nearly there," she shouts. "As for you, let's see how you like getting pelted."

[roll0] force damage against the archer in n1.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88734)

AsDeR
2014-10-21, 04:53 PM
Another ball of fire engulfs Arkom, and he instinctively covers himself with his arms. But this time he doesn't feel anything more than it's volatile warmth.
He watches as the fighter goes down, crispy and leaving a trail of smoke to the ground.
But the ex-archer still keeps at it, attacking him and forcing to prepare his guard.

"Stop already! Don't force me do this!" The half-minotaur is starting to get used to his rage, and can finally make some reasonable thoughts. But the shortswords keep coming and that is enough for making him attack again. Arkom is not the most patient guy when in this state.

He puts his fists together and smashes the archer onto the ground.

Attack to the archer.
Slam [roll0]

Current AC 23
Current SR 23
5 more rounds raging

MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=88734)

GuyFawkes
2014-10-22, 01:18 AM
The archer gets slammed by the force missiles from Ru. He grunts but raises his bow to fire another retaliatory strike. As he moves to raise his arm, however, he stops and coughs blood, then falls to his knees. He wipes the blood from his mouth and smiles before falling face first into the dirt.

The other archer moves in against Arkom once more. His double swords spin and come at different directions, but Arkom's halts him in his tracks with a solid hit to the face. His arms are still swinging as he goes down to the ground.

"Stop. The fight is over. Please bring your comrades as you come out."

Back at the far end of the room, the door appears once more and swings open.

AsDeR
2014-10-22, 07:00 AM
Arkom lifts his hand from the defeated archer as he hears Killiam's voice. He breathes deeply, trying to calm his emotions as fast as possible, fighting to extinguish his inner rage.

He looks arround, watching the bodies and the bloody mess of the field. Not even a little bit satisfied with was hes happened.

He grabs Igne' and carries him over to the exit, as he pass Malkon, he gently grabs him too, and he follows Ru' through the exit, exhausted and defeated, even when they "won".

Arkom brings them both to the healing cabinet, and lets Ru do the healing while he sits down on the ground, watching closely to them.
This can't be it. This can't happen again.

He remains in silence, with his mind absent, for the rest of the break.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-22, 08:17 AM
Killiam looks at you silently as you walk into the room, and even as you start taking care of the wounded. He then settles on Arkom, his eyes lingering for a few second. When everyone comes to, he begins to speak.

"How did you find the fight this time?"

SaintRidley
2014-10-22, 10:12 AM
Ru begins administering healing potions, taking a couple swigs as well. "Nearly wiped us they did. If it weren't for Arkom's exceptional durability, we wouldn't have lasted nearly as long."

Ru's skin is rebelling against her - her hands are changing colors rapidly, and she immediately sits on them once the other two are able to drink potions on their own. She's got enough control to keep her face from changing, but her hands... those have always been the trouble spot.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-22, 01:00 PM
Killiam simply nods at Ru's answer.

"And the others?"

AsDeR
2014-10-22, 04:28 PM
Arkom eyes are lost on the floor, he speaks, as softly as his bestly voice allows him, tired.
"This is not training, this is survival."

He thought the mercenary group would teach him to fight, teach him discipline, teach him tactics. He thought he would be proud of being part of that. He was wrong.
The Blood Carnival training methods were not better that those of the slums dog fights.
And the opponents they were facing were in the same situation. They were forced to fight. They either had fight, or be an easy prey. There was not mercy there. There was no good.

Arkomis lost in his thoughts, trying to make sense of all this. Trying to decide if adapting to this was worth it.

Weikel
2014-10-22, 06:56 PM
As Malkon comes to, he instinctively goes for one of the daggers at his chest, but then realizes where he is and sheaths it, still somewhat uncomprehending as he backs to the wall. With a final shake of his head, he seems to fully understand and drinks a few more potions before regaining his feet.

"What happened? Last thing I remember is the sight of a shady face." Malkon says as he checks to make sure he has all his gear and it is in the right place, noticing his two short swords hanging both from the wrong hips.

"I guess I got a little caught up in there, didn't I? I've never had to fight so many at once." Malkon ponders, seeming almost embarrassed.

GuyFawkes
2014-10-25, 05:37 AM
"Many, yes. But from what I could see, they were not on a level you could not have handled without that much damage on your part. Lack of coordination, combat tactics, identifying threat priority, and a healthy dose of overconfidence led to this result," Killiam stoically replies. Turning to the half-minotaur, he adds. "Survival is the most basic training. If you cannot even do that, you will fail at everything else. And like I said, had you used your own and each other's strengths properly, it would not have been a test of 'survival' at all."

"Now, you have more or less grasped how you would fare in the battlefield. That is the main objective of this activity today. From now on, we will be working on how to improve yourselves, starting with the basics. And the basics is possessing a healthy mind and body. We will start with running. After we exit here, you are to take your lunch, then an hour from that, proceed to the training grounds. You will do fifty laps around the grounds. I will not be there, but I will know if any of you did not complete the task. After that, you are free for the rest of the day. Tomorrow morning, you are to do fifty more laps before I meet you outside your room at exactly the same time as earlier."

"If there are no questions, you are dismissed."

AsDeR
2014-10-25, 04:09 PM
Arkom stands up, and slowly reaches for the exit.
As he passes near Killiam, he says "I wasn't talking about OUR survival." and he leaves the room.

SaintRidley
2014-10-26, 04:48 PM
Ru stands after Arkom leaves. "I'm going to find him. What he feels may seem irrelevant, but it's better to work with him on that than ignore it entirely."

Outside Ru spots Arkom, not a difficult thing, and runs up to him. "Mind if I join you? We should eat."

AsDeR
2014-10-26, 05:33 PM
Arkom turns at Ru's voice.
"I'm not exactly hungry right now." his voice denotes tiredness and defeat as does hies attitude. He looks like he has gave up on something.
"Go without me, I need some time to think."

Arkom wanders off slowly, but after a few steps, he stops and sais something to Ru before continuing.
"Thanks for your help back there."

Weikel
2014-10-27, 07:09 PM
Malkon sits for a few moments longer after the others leave, thinking about where he had gone wrong, and silently lamenting that he disappointed his teammates. As he stands up to go to lunch, he resolves to pay more attention to his teammates and keep nearer to them. Then he heads off to lunch.

AsDeR
2014-10-27, 07:36 PM
Arkom walks arround. Thinking. Wondering.
He takes one of the arrows off his shoulder, he has been in shock after the battle and he didn't notice until now that his wounds are still open. He takes some time to plaster them with mud and moss from the ground. Like his mentor used to do.
He remembers his teachings. The effort he made to take Arkom away from the beast he was. The importance of morals.
It hurts to know that he would not approve what he is doing right now.

But what else can I do. There is no home to go back. There is no family. I'm a monster, and I would be hunted anywhere but here. His teammates come to mind suddenly. What exactly took them here? To a place like this? What kind of people joins this madness.
Arkom remembers the softness of Ru's speech. The intelligence behind his words. The wild desire for victory of Malkon. His swift blade dance. The quirkiness of the armored tinkerer. His desperation to make things work.
They sure are strange people.
Maybe... maybe like me. Arkom wonders. Maybe this is their only place too.

And I have failed them. The last battle was brutal. He went out of his mind, and his "team" was almost wiped out.
"That damn Killiam!" Arkom can't help it but say it out loud.

He looks up to the sky, and makes a decision. I am here. What matters now is to survive this. I will take care of the rest later.

He takes another patch of muddy moss and applies it to a chest wound. He stops, as he remembers the fire spell Ru casted and its effects on him. No... We are here.

Arkom walks to their sleeping quarters and looks arround the equipment chest but doesn't take anything. He steps outside and waits for the others to leave the dinning hall while analizing the last combats, so they can run together.

SaintRidley
2014-10-28, 09:54 PM
Ru spends lunch eating and preparing a few spells to return to the Spellpool. After eating, she joins Arkom at their quarters.

"We should run." She notices that some of his scars appear to be seared over - I think I did that.

Weikel
2014-10-30, 03:20 AM
After the battle, and with all the food available, Malkon eats quickly and heartily, afterwards regretting it as he remembers that they were just about to go for a run. Malkon leaves the mess hall, finding Ru and Arkom already waiting for him. "So, we're supposed to run right? Any sign of Igne? He left the field a little before me, but I haven't seen him since." He says as he reaches his companions, looking around to make sure he doesn't see Igne approaching.

After hearing their response, but before they leave, Malkon adds in, "Oh, also, if you both don't mind, do you think we could try to talk out battle strategy a little afterwards? I know I messed up in that last battle, but I'm not used to working as part of a team, and it could definitely help me to talk this through a little before Killiam sends up back in there again."

AsDeR
2014-10-30, 01:31 PM
Arkom looks down to his own chest when Ru mentions the scars.
"It looks like you cauterized some of my wounds. How did you do it? I have never been affected by fire."

Malkon joins them, recovered from the last combat, but visibly worn. "I thought Igne was coming after you." Arkom looks arround the room to see if Igne's things are still there, but he focus on Malkon again when he voices his opinion on the last combat outcome.
"If anyone is to blame it's me. I was careless and did not take the challenge seriously." Arkom lowers his head, in regret. "I came here with expectations that were unrealistic."

He looks at the color coded items Ru and Malkon are wearing. And the blood stains on them. "I would like to join this team. This clan." Arkom puts each of his hands on their shoulders, heat pouring through them. "If you accept me, I will never betray you. But you better never betray me..."
Arkom holds their shoulders and stare firmly for a second, before smirking and blowing a sort of laugh through his snout.

SaintRidley
2014-11-01, 02:41 PM
"Don't know how it happened. I just put the fire down. Something about your body must have done it," Ru says.

AsDeR
2014-11-02, 07:10 PM
Arkom checks his new scars again and wonders "This is the first time."
Many doubts round his head, if Ru doesn't know anything about it, what exactly triggers it?
"Maybe you could help me test it some day."

Weikel
2014-11-02, 09:06 PM
"We can all sit around blaming ourselves all day Arkom, but if we want to fix the problem, we need to realize that it's not any single persons fault, and sitting around whining about what we can't change won't help. We need to come up with a solution, not mope about how we messed up."

AsDeR
2014-11-04, 06:37 AM
"It's not the problem what bothers me." Answers Arkom to Malkon "It's the solution."
Arkom knows what they have to do in order to survive, but he doesn't like it.
"I just hoped there could be another way."

Arkom steps outside, seeing they have waited long enough for the others to appear. Meybe they were running already.
"Let's keep talking while we run."

SaintRidley
2014-11-04, 09:31 PM
"Happy to keep testing it," Ru says. She's not used to running like this. Better physical conditioning was always secondary to study.

AsDeR
2014-11-06, 07:12 PM
Arkom slows down to keep with Ru and Malkon's pace, but it's not easier for him. His wounds are still open and the pain and effort can be seen on his face.
When they stop for a quick break after the first lap, he decides to ask.
"Hav- Have any of you the a- ability to heal this wounds." he is regretting his stubborness when refusing to heal after the fights.
"If not, may- maybe this could be a chance to try your theory about your magic." he sais, look at Ru.

SaintRidley
2014-11-10, 08:02 PM
"I'm pretty tapped out unfortunately. But let me get a look at you." Ru takes a careful look at Arkom's scars, poking and prodding here and there at certain areas where there seemed to be scorch marks. She then makes an examination of his body looking for signs of magical irregularity.

"You may be resistant to magic. Stand back, let me try something."

Ru casts Ray of Frost at CL 1 to test Arkom's spell resistance. The caster level being too low to provide any chance of piercing the spell resistance, the spell fizzles out about three inches from Arkom's body.

"Looks like it."

AsDeR
2014-11-11, 04:57 AM
Arkom opens wide his eyes when Ru starts casting a spell on him that doesn't look harmless. Then the spell fizzles at him.
"Interesting way to test your theory, you know, trying to harm me :smallannoyed:" Arkom can see the reson why she did that, but that doesn't make it less weird. "I hope you never feel the need to test if I can regenerate severed limbs."

"That said, I knew that much. Nizz, the druid that taught me everything, figured it out when healing my wounds. He said it was not natural, it was something related to this arms. Something elemental."
"He taught me a way to temporary lower it. I've never needed to use it outside his home though."

Arkom watches as Ru checks his scorched scars "I know that fire can't harm me. It doesn't bother me in fact. But I had never seen a fire spell do this."

Arkom reflects about it a bit, and then adds "There is fire inside me. I can feel it. Sometimes it burns so wildly I can barely control it. It tries to consume me, but has failed so far."
"Maybe your fire resonates with it."

Arkom stands up "Time for another run." he looks at Malkon, who hasn't said anything. "You have been quiet for a while. Do you have a master tactic for us already?" Arkom jokes.

Weikel
2014-11-12, 03:49 PM
Malkon sits silently while the other two talk. As Ru casts a spell at Arkom, Malkon jumps a little, not having been expecting such a thing.

Then, as Arkom addresses him, Malkon comes out of his reverie. "Oh sorry, I was just thinking about... well, it's not important really. I was distracted. Should we get running again?"

GuyFawkes
2014-11-13, 01:22 AM
The group continue their run, and, long and torturous as it is, you manage to finish it, with each of you spurring each other forward. You take your rest and discuss more about yourselves and your plans for improvement, and soon it is supper time. You take your meal and move to your rooms to rest early; you still have the early morning run the next day. While waiting for sleep to take you, you notice Igne' does not come back to your room.

The next day, tired and aching muscles make it hard for you to get out of bed, but your determination, and perhaps a little wariness of what Killiam might provide as punishment should you not complete the task spurs you forward and you find your way to the grounds in the darkness and the chill darkness of the night. You slowly begin to run, your strained muscles holding you down, but as you begin to warm up, your progress goes much better. About an hour after the sun has risen on the horizon, you finally finish your run.

You slowly make your way to the mess hall and partake of your breakfast before going back to take whatever rest you can before starting the activities of the day. However, as you reach your room, you notice Killiam is already waiting there. Beside him, two new figures stand at attention.

"Good morning. I trust you have completed your assignments?" Killiam greets you. Before you could answer, he motions at the two to come forward.

"As you may have noticed, your comrade failed to return to your room last night. I am afraid he has had enough of this, so he went his way. That is why these two are here, as substitutes. You two, introduce yourselves."

Aaaaaand, Ellowryn, Adrezitos, it is finally your turn. Welcome to the game!

Ellowryn
2014-11-13, 08:52 AM
A rather short individual slowly moves forward, he looks at each of the other teammates before giving a short bow. He then gives a small smile and you hear, barely, Alth....

Andrezitos
2014-11-13, 10:33 AM
"I am brother Erectus Magnojeba, Heirouneous be praised, this camp is in desperately need for some holy attention." A man in his twenties says with authority and priggish. If not by his armor and shield, this man's features would resembles in everything a priest.

AsDeR
2014-11-14, 01:11 PM
Arkom looks at them both and then at Killiam.
"Welcome, I guess."
"Where are Igne and Iustis, and what happened with the rest of their group?"
Arkom is not sure if this are good news.

GuyFawkes
2014-11-15, 12:06 AM
Killiam looks up at Arkom for a few seconds before replying. "As I have said, your comrade came to me yesterday, complaining about how he does not want to go on with the training. He said it was not how he had imagined it would be, and he was particularly not pleased with not being able to use his own armors. The other fellow, well, never heard from him personally. Left without even consulting me."

After a few seconds of pause, Killiam continues. "Questions aside, I think it is customary to reply to an introduction of names with similar giving of names, yes? Especially for people who will be living together for the foreseeable future."

AsDeR
2014-11-15, 05:49 PM
Arkom grimaces at Killiam's attitude. But is curious enough about the duo to introduce himself.
"I'm Arkom."
Or what he thinks an introduction is.

SaintRidley
2014-11-16, 02:49 PM
"Ru," Ru says.

Weikel
2014-11-16, 03:10 PM
Malkon rolls his eyes after hearing the cleric speak. "Name's Malkon."

GuyFawkes
2014-11-16, 11:18 PM
"Now that that is out of the way, let us proceed. Come with me."

Killiam moves through the two newcomers and goes down the path leading out of the dormitories. As all of you follow, you notice he leads you not to the Field or the training grounds, but back to the discussion halls. You arrive back at the room you had your discussion on the first day, and Killiam motions for all of you to enter. When all of you settle down inside, he begins.

"For this morning - and for every morning this week - we will have discussions. Here in the Carnival, we believe in the holistic approach to improvement of one's performance in the battlefield and outside of it. Not only do we hone our member's physical and magical abilities, we also train them on their tactics, their way of approaching engagements, and other skills such as handling negotiations, especially with nobility."

"Not going far away, let us take for example the battlefield. Your skill in battle is not measured only by your ability to hit hard and take hard hits. Battle starts even before you begin to draw your weapon or cast your magic. It starts with your mindset going into the fight, how you envision the fight to proceed, and how to utilize every aspect of the battlefield to your advantage, be it your own and your comrades' abilities, your opponents' abilities, what you or your opponents possess, and not in the least, external factors such as the terrain where the fight is to take place and other unpredictable factors such as the weather."

"We do not need to look far for an example of the truth in my words. In fact, to start off our discussion for today, we will begin by dissecting yesterday's events. I want to hear your opinion regarding this: do you think that was the best that you could have done in tackling the battles yesterday?"

AsDeR
2014-11-18, 07:17 PM
Just when Arkom thought Killiam was actually going to teach him something, he turns the subject into improving by themselves. Why don't you just teach us how to fight...
But Arkom holds his opinion and tries to make this time worthy. We might as well have that discussion about tactics we wanted to have now.

Arkom looks at Malkon and Ru from his spot on the ground, sitting near the entrance, with his arms crossed over his broad chest. He notices the new guys and realizes he never saw them fight or heard about their abilities.
"I can't speak for Malkon and Ru, but I was gratly slowed down by the wizard until Ru helped me. I don't have experience in teamwork and tactics. All my battles were on a pit, for survival..." Arkom takes a moment to push away the memories of the horrors of his past. "And some hunting."

"My clan had a great history of warlords and victories, but I hadn't had the change to learn from them. My options were... limited. I heard some of their songs, and saw they fight sometimes. But was never taught. And now I never will..." It's harder for Arkom to talk about his clan and it's downfall at the hands of evil than he tought.

He looks back at Killiam.
"I lack combat trainning."

GuyFawkes
2014-11-19, 03:36 AM
Killiam simply nods at Arkom, then moves to Killiam. "How about you? What is your assessment on your performance yesterday?"

GuyFawkes
2014-11-24, 02:38 AM
After a few seconds of no reply, Killiam follows up.

"Nothing? While waiting on him, how about the two of you?" he points at Alth and Erectus. "I do not know how your group fared on your battle, but I gather it would have been a negative one, seeing that you are both here now. Care to enlighten us?"

Andrezitos
2014-11-24, 02:48 AM
(perhaps i have failed my knowledge, this campaiign history, check. Care to explain a bit?)

Ellowryn
2014-11-26, 12:09 PM
Alth looks back and forth between the instructor and the new group, clearly unsure about what to do. Finally, he says everyone, pauses and takes a deep breath, everyone ran at the other group, sure that whatever they could do was better than anything everyone else. Their deaths were almost comical, one ended up cut in half from the bottom up. I tried to do what i could but it was only less than a minute before the fight was clearly over.

SaintRidley
2014-11-27, 11:24 PM
"What we had was a failure to communicate."

Weikel
2014-12-01, 07:23 AM
As Killiam looks to him for an answer, Malkon looks clearly uncomfortable at having been asked. As he stares at his feet without responding, it seems as though he is nervous or ashamed.

After hearing Ru's statement and with the attention off of him, Malkon seems to recover a bit, stating simply "I agree with Ru."

GuyFawkes
2014-12-08, 04:24 AM
Killiam nods at your replies before walking off to your left, towards a low cabinet on the wall. He opens it, takes a number of books, closes the cabinet and walks back towards you. He passes it on to you so that each one has a copy.

"Your evaluations are in part, correct. Communication, failure to assess your group's and your opponents' strengths and weaknesses, failure to properly use the terrain, and a score more other details that are just as important as sheer physical or magical strength. Details that are covered in this book, written by none other than one of the Founders, General Genorian himself. For this morning, we will be discussing about planning: what to consider when entering into battle."

The rest of the morning is consumed by Killiam discussing the topic in depth, referencing passages from the book and relating it to famous military campaigns in recent history. With perhaps most of you not used to this kind of atmosphere, the hours drag on, but finally it is lunch time. With that, Killiam sends you off for you to eat and meet him at the training grounds after an hour.

At the appointed time, your group arrive at the training grounds, and you find that half of the grounds has been transformed into an obstacle course (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=95375). Some trainees are already tackling the course, and as you come closer, you notice Killiam on one side, near the benches.

"As you may have already observed, we have transformed half of the grounds as an obstacle course. For two weeks, you shall be training on the course for an hour each day. After the first week, you will undergo an evaluation. You must complete the course in under five minutes, and after the second week, four minutes."

"Remove all your weapons and armor, then go ahead and try the course out. There are twenty hourglasses near the starting line. You may go when there is a free one."

"As for you," Killiam looks at Arkom, "as you may have noticed, the course is made for medium-sized creatures. For that, we will be using this." He takes out a wand from within his robe and flicks it at Arkom. In a few second, the hulking half-minotaur slowly shrinks into the size of most humans.

"We are concerned with physical development for now. We will deal with fighting and using your normal size later. Now all of you, go."
Go ahead and do the course individually. Just create a thread at the Dice Rolling board for this. Record how many rounds it'll take your character to finish and multiply by six. That's your time. I haven't actually tried this yet, so we'll just adjust the time on your results.
Up and Under
Go up over one log and below the next. Jump DC 10 to hop over the log (half movement speed), half movement as you go below.

Low Wall
10 foot wall. DC 8 Jump and Climb DC 15 to pull yourself up and drop down the other side.

High Wall
15 foot wall with rope. DC 5 Climb (one-quarter speed, one check per move action) up and down the other side.

Step Logs
DC 10 Jump from one log to another. 8 jumps in total. Retry on each failure (for failed jump only, not from start).

Rope Wall
30-foot rope wall climb up and down the other side. DC 10 Climb (one-quarter speed, one check per move action).

Balance Logs
DC 15 Balance check (half speed). Retry on failure.

Monkey Bars
DC 20 Climb to brachiate across the monkey bars.

Rope Bridge
One rope to walk on and another overhead to hold on. DC 20 Balance to cross (half speed).

Spider Climb
Traverse a wall sideways. DC 10 Climb (one-quarter speed, one check per move action).

Triple Jump
Running jump 3 times at increasing distances. DC 5, 10, and 15 Jump respectively. Retry on each failure (for failed jump only, not from start).

Step Logs
DC 10 Jump from one log to another. 8 jumps in total. Retry on each failure (for failed jump only, not from start).

Rope Swing
DC 14 Climb. Standard action to complete. Retry on failure.

Mudwalk
Cross 50 feet of waist-deep mud. Difficult terrain (half speed).

Swim Lap
100-foot swim.

AsDeR
2014-12-09, 06:23 PM
Arkom is a bit shocked at the magic Killiam uses on him, specially with such ease, just as Ru and him were discovering his sobrenatural resistance to it. But he is way more shocked at the way the world suddenly got bigger arround him.
He had never considered himself a giant, but he was now seeing the world as the other arround him perceived it. Everything was so big.

He was too fascinated to get mad at Killiam for using such magic with him without consulting, there was a whole obstacle curse in front of him, and it was big enough for him to actually use it. He trained in the forest with Nizz, but this was different, it was made by men to be hard. He felt the urge to test himself.
Better to run freely than to sit down in that room. he said to himself.

When Killiam gave them the tiny book, Arkom felt very primitive. Nizz had taught him how to read, but he was still slow at it, and it was hard for him. The fact that he charred the pages as he touched them if he was not extremely calm didn't help. His concentration and effort was visible when reading, and he ended exhausted.
Some exercise is just what he needed.

Arkom watches the other recruits do the track and starts running as soon as one of the "hourglasses" is free. Not understanding why he had to wait.

Here is the rolling thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?387523-Arkom-s-obstacle-course-day-1&p=18510074#post18510074
This was actually really time consuming to calculate. And I'm sure I made some mistakes.
Arkom Failed at the monkey bars and at the rope bridge, but a couple of extra tries on each of them are enough.
I did not recalculate the turns it took because my original time was 20 rounds, even repeating both fails a couple of times each would not bring me over 50 rounds, which was the goal.

SaintRidley
2014-12-31, 08:08 PM
Rolling thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390718-Obstacle-course-rolls-for-You-Just-Got-Schooled&p=18598523#post18598523)

Ru cracks her knuckles. A little magic would make things go more smoothly. Not too much, though. No need to just fly over the course.

Ru calls two spells from the Spellpool and casts them - Jump and Spider-Climb. There. Now to get started.

The jumping and climbing obstacles were cake, as well as the first balancing act. The second was not so simple, however, and Ru fell off near a dozen times trying to get it to work. At least I don't pretend to be an elf, she thought.

The rest of the course was straightforward enough, and Ru could feel the spells wear off during the swim. At that point, however, there wasn't any need for them. Just over six and a half minutes after starting, Ru was done.

Weikel
2015-01-17, 10:44 AM
Rolling thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393470-Malkon-Obstacle-Course-You-Just-Got-Schooled&p=18671639#post18671639) I have absolutely no idea if I really did this correctly, but there it is. I included 2 possible ways to calculate the total, one coming to 5.9 minutes and the other coming to 9.6 minutes. I'm gonna assume the shorter one, because it's more preferrable and it was my initial way of calculating it.

Malkon waits for his chance, then starts the course. He struggles at almost every step of the course, but still manages to make good time, finishing the lengthier portions of the course on his first few attempts. However, when he gets to the swim, he has a lot of trouble. He goes underwater a few times and once doesn't seem like he's going to come back up before he bursts out coughing up water. Eventually he gets around the swim and finishes the course in just under 6 minutes, panting and heaving. Barely able to stand.

GuyFawkes
2015-01-20, 12:22 PM
Killiam nods at your results as you come back.

"Not bad for your first trial. You could do much better, of course. Now, while some of you are physically-gifted and of course, are inclined to do physical activities, this may only present a slight problem for you. After a few more tries, I am sure you will get the course down and do it within the allotted time with little problem. But, if you might notice, while the course is simple, it does put to work most if not all of your muscle groups."

"For those who are more into the refined arts of magic such as myself, you might wonder why you have to do this activity as well. The answer is simple. We of the Carnival believe in the simple and practical belief that while being a specialist is the key to success, being generalist is the key to staying alive. Especially in our line of work. Each of us must have, at the very least, working knowledge on all aspects that will be needed in our trade. This is what separates us from the rest."

The instructor then reaches into his robes and fishes out a wand. Handing over to Ru, he continues. "Tomorrow, you will have a full hour dedicated to your group alone, so you can practice without distractions. For today, you have the rest of the afternoon to familiarize yourselves with the course. You can use this to keep him at that size," he motions to Arkom. "It will not be as effective as when I cast it, but you will have enough charges to last the day. It will also serve as an exercise on controlling your resistance against magic."

"As for tomorrow, you will continue your fifty laps before breakfast. That will be your routine from now on. I will meet you back at the discussion room at seven in the morning. If there are no more questions, I will take my leave."