PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Which Ranger Combat Style do you think is the best(Including the ones from Dr#326)?

Dunsparce
2014-08-17, 08:11 AM
-Archery Style(Player's Handbook 3.5): Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Improved Precise Shot

-Beast-Wrestling Style(Dragon Magazine #326): Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist

-Mounted Combat Style(Dragon Magazine #326): Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge, Trample

-Piscator Style(Dragon Magazine #326): Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Net), Improved Trip, Improved Critical

-Strong Arm Style(Dragon Magazine #326): Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Great Cleave

-Throwing Style(Dragon Magazine #326): Quick Draw, Point Blank Shot, Far Shot

-Two-Weapon Combat Style(Player's Handbook 3.5): Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

StreamOfTheSky
2014-08-17, 09:40 AM
Wild Style! (Trade combat feats for wild shape) :smallbiggrin:

Out of the options, I guess Mounted since it's a formidable fighting style (when you have a hardy mount, and ranger can) and gives two not-bad feats first. Some of those options, the 1st and even 2nd feat are just...garbage. I mean, 2H is the best way to go, but unless you're not planning to see Ranger 6+ anyway, Strongarm is just a horrid set of feats (other than PA). Runner up would be Archery, which actually gives a good set of feats, but...archery is weak and under-supported in 3E. You *can* make it work, especially w/ Swift Hunter, then archery style gets much better.

(Un)Inspired
2014-08-17, 09:55 AM
Yeah I'm gonna say archery style. Just take power attack at level 1 and your as good at THF as someone who took strong arm style but you avoid being a massive chump.

Having the archery stuff is nice just so you can go both ways even if archery kinda sucks.

Oh yeah, and as always, wildshape is still the superior option.