PDA

View Full Version : Good modules to play in 5e

Falka
2014-08-17, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to ask your opinion about which modules would you use to play 5e?

I'm currently DMing a homebrew minicampaign, but I'm planning on sticking to a campaign setting after I finish it. I'd like to try some modules. I don't really mind if they're from AD&D - I just care if they're good.

I know more about FR, but I heard nice things about Greyhawk so I'm willing to try nice adventures from that setting as well.

I really want to run a game of Tomb of Horrors sometime, though since there are no rules regarding traps for 5e, so far what I'm doing is adapting SDR traps and just rolling with that.

Also, who is going to buy HotDQ? What do you think about this campaign? I've got the Tyranny of Dragons PDF, but I didn't have much time to read it yet. Do you think it's a good campaign to run during school-year?

Tzi
2014-08-17, 10:39 AM
Sunless Citadel is a favorite to start out with.

Merc_Kilsek
2014-08-17, 10:40 AM
If you have access to or don't mind doing a little looking around I would suggest looking for Dungeon Magazine issues. Each issue has multiple adventures and lots of issues you can pull out to use.

I don't know about the 4th-edition stuff/digital versions but I have most of the physical copies. They are rich in different settings, ideals, and themes. One of my personal favorites was Old Man Katan And The Incredible, Edible, Dancing Mushroom Band. It sounds silly (and it is a little) but was a ton of fun to ran even in Pathfinder (ran it in 2nd; converted it from 2nd to PF to run it again).

Nagash
2014-08-17, 10:49 AM
since its more of an old school feeling game I was considering trying to find one of the old boxed set adventures like ruins of undermounting (set in FR), or maybe temple of elemental evil.

Either should be a good gauge of whether it really gives back that old school feel.

Chambers
2014-08-17, 12:23 PM
I'm fixing to run the Red Hand of Doom (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367349-Red-Hand-of-Doom-5e) for a PbP here. Thankfully there's a few basic enemy stat blocks in the DM's Basic Rules & Horde of the Dragon Queen pdf supplement to tweak as needed, so updating the monsters doesn't take a lot of work.

Falka
2014-08-19, 12:20 PM
Browsing, I found a couple of sweet modules that are quite compatible with 5e. Actually they were Next playtest modules and I wasn't quite aware of their existence.

I may fumble a bit with the exact names since I'm writing this from memory. They are all PDFs.

- Ghosts of Dragonspire Castle
- Scourge of the Sword Coast
- Death in Thay

The two first are suitable for 1st Level characters while the third is for at least level 7 if I'm not mistaken. Anyone else got them? I read nice reviews, especially from Death in Thay. Dragonspire has a lot of weird recycled art but the fluff looks solid.

Sir_Leorik
2014-08-19, 01:16 PM
Browsing, I found a couple of sweet modules that are quite compatible with 5e. Actually they were Next playtest modules and I wasn't quite aware of their existence.

I may fumble a bit with the exact names since I'm writing this from memory. They are all PDFs.

- Death in Thay

The two first are suitable for 1st Level characters while the third is for at least level 7 if I'm not mistaken. Anyone else got them? I read nice reviews, especially from Death in Thay. Dragonspire has a lot of weird recycled art but the fluff looks solid.

I've played the latter two modules during the playtest, and they were very fun. Note that Death in Thay (a sequel to Scourge of the Sword Coast) is really hard!

If you're interested in doing some work to convert some old modules, B2: Keep on the Borderlands, B6: The Veiled Society, B11: King's Festival, B12: Queen's Harvest, T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil, or B1-9: In Search of Adventure, are all good introductory adventures, and can be found in .PDF format for sale (http://www.dndclassics.com/index.php).

pwykersotz
2014-08-19, 04:31 PM

- Death in Thay

Apparently it's "Dead in Thay" and thanks for the info! I'm gonna look into these.