PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 3.5 method of storing weapons?

aleucard
2014-08-17, 11:57 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin. The entirety of official 3.5 is allowed.

Bags of Holding and their relatives may be able to hold massive amounts of jargon, but introduce anything pointy and everything in them goes *Poof*. Portable Holes don't have that particular problem (and in fact, I'm fairly sure they're impossible to destroy by conventional methods (Disjunction is not conventional)), but take an absolutely obnoxious amount of time to retrieve things from. Thus far, the only ones I can find that are useful are the Quiver of Ehlonna (which may need DM adjudication), the multiple Gloves of Storing variants (though the price may range from sensible to absurd for all the wrong reasons), and the Cloak of Weaponry (though only for a single weapon; has a nice visual, though, especially if you want to be a smartass and call it Hammerspace). You guys know any more? Criteria are 1) must be retrievable from the storage method fast enough for it to be at least as useful in-combat as wearing the weapon normally and 2) not be potentially damageable by simply storing the weapon in it (like the Bags of Holding). Storage methods that are indistinguishable from the normal method (a magical scabbard that only holds 1 weapon but does something to it, for instance) aren't valid but may be mentioned if they're really that good.

Have fun!

Snowbluff
2014-08-17, 12:02 PM
What's wrong with a sheathe?

Anyway, I use belts and crystals of returning.

jiriku
2014-08-17, 12:06 PM
You can't go wrong with carrying an improbably large collection of guns, each with a least crystal of return attached, and storing them all in a large cross-shaped box strapped across your back.

aleucard
2014-08-17, 12:25 PM
What's wrong with a sheathe?

Anyway, I use belts and crystals of returning.

Partially because then it's painfully obvious you're armed with the vast majority of weapons, but mainly so a significant number can be kept combat-ready.

Red Fel
2014-08-17, 12:27 PM
I'm a fan of the Ring of Arming. Only stores one loadout, but that includes weapons, armor, the works, and it only takes one standard action to load it all. And the price isn't unreasonable, either. As a bonus, you can totally fluff it as a transformation sequence.

Darrin
2014-08-17, 12:34 PM
Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk). Until you can afford that, try a Least Crystal of Return (300 GP, MIC) for free Quickdraw.

aleucard
2014-08-17, 12:49 PM
Heh. I have a thought. Ring of Arming plus multiple loadout slots plus maybe making it slotless or moved to something like bracers or shoulders equals FFX2 Dress Sphere Garment Grid.

Milodiah
2014-08-17, 03:15 PM
...my friend once met a little man in a game he played in. And by little man I mean of Tiny size class.

One thing led to another, and he was hired to live in my friend's backpack, handing him the weapons he needed like some kind of murder caddy.

Thiyr
2014-08-17, 03:24 PM
While similar to the bag of holding, the Handy Haversack is a good choice. What you want is always on top, and while it says it is like a bag of holding. There's none of the "puncture = poof" language. I usually get a haversack instead of a bag of holding. Plus, how can you argue with that price tag?

Zrak
2014-08-17, 03:29 PM
Glove of Infinite Javelins.

The only downside is that if you're playing a character that doesn't use javelins, you have to get them killed and reroll one that does. If you ask me, though, that's not a bug, it's a feature. :smalltongue:

aleucard
2014-08-17, 04:13 PM
While similar to the bag of holding, the Handy Haversack is a good choice. What you want is always on top, and while it says it is like a bag of holding. There's none of the "puncture = poof" language. I usually get a haversack instead of a bag of holding. Plus, how can you argue with that price tag?

Way I read the listing, each of the individual pouches are basically miniature Bags of Holding, thus making them vulnerable. Again, good for holding jargon, especially the sort of stuff you'd want quickly and without AoO like potions and various activated items, but still not suitable for being poked with pointy sticks. It really depends on the DM, but this isn't that unusual a deduction.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-17, 05:55 PM
There's an item in Complete Warrior that not only keeps your weapon clean, sharp, and free of rust, but lets you cast bless weapon on it 3/day. Also, it automatically reshapes itself to fit any weapon you try to put into it. I don't think it explicitly says it can't store improvised weapons, so you could possibly just use it to clean chairs, tablecloths, ladders, etc.

Note: this poster does *not* condone the attempted shoving of chairs into random sheaths to determine their magical properties.

Actually, wait. Yes he does condone that. Do it.