PDA

View Full Version : Online D&D?

Cidius
2014-08-17, 12:37 PM
How does one find a group / join? And what us required of a player to do so programs wise and such?

Hazrond
2014-08-17, 12:39 PM
How does one find a group / join? And what us required of a player to do so programs wise and such?

I generally use Roll20

Rethmar
2014-08-17, 12:40 PM
Check out roll20. You can scroll through games that are being set up, find one that fits your style, and see if they need another player. Pretty nice and simple.

137beth
2014-08-17, 12:42 PM
Roll20 is good for "real-time" play--it simulates a tabletop and allows you to play almost like an in-person game.
For a considerably slower paced game, just visit the play-by-post forum, specifically the Finding Players/recruitment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-%28Recruitment%29) board.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-17, 12:44 PM
There's also Maptools and Gametable, though I've never actually been able to get the latter to work.

Squirrel_Dude
2014-08-17, 12:45 PM
Roll20 is probalby the easiest to use, and has a looking for group page on it's site, but it has some features (dynamic lighting IIRC) hidden behind a paywall. Maptool is probably the most powerful option available (dynamic lighting, programing your own macros), but connecting to people can be a bit tricky, and its UI isn't nearly as intuitive.

Most roleplaying game forums, including this one have PbP/Online game recruitment forums. E.G. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)) Though I find most people on those forums are looking for Play By Post games, either to supplement the one they are running at home, or because they don't 4 hours to devote every week.

Kevingway
2014-08-17, 03:25 PM
The games being hosted on roll20 always bother me, mainly in terms of the settings the DMs choose. In my many experiences, not actually playing but just scrolling through all the 3.5 games going on, I've very rarely, if ever, found a game that's simply normal. It's always homebrewed everything with some sort of Game of Thrones/anime/book theme going on, and that gets pretty annoying when you just want to have a traditional game.