PDA

View Full Version : Questions about nezumi

Catthedragon
2014-08-17, 01:41 PM
Hey all. I'm joining a 3.5e group, and I'm planning to make a rogue of the nezumi race. But I can't seem to find any consistent information about them:

Some sources say they have a bonus to con and a minus to cha
http://www.marph.org/D&D/D&D%203.5%20-%20Oriental%20Adventures.pdf
http://dndtools.eu/races/oriental-adventures--96/nezumi--25/

While others say they have a bonus to dex and a minus to str
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Nezumi_(3.5e_Race)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?199913-New-Nezumi-(3-5-race-PEACH)

In addition, these sources randomly vary between saying their base land speed is 30 or 40, small or medium size, and a whole bunch of other factors, leaving very little consistency to go on. Can somebody give me a concise consensus on exactly what traits nezumi have? Thanks.

One of the few things I hate about D&D is how poorly cataloged the information is... <.<

Red Fel
2014-08-17, 01:53 PM
Some sources say they have a bonus to con and a minus to cha
[LINKS TO ORIENTAL ADVENTURES OMITTED]

While others say they have a bonus to dex and a minus to str
[LINKS TO HOMEBREW OMITTED]

Several things.

First, please be more careful about linking to content that is not subject to the OGL. As a rule, if it's not on the Wizards website or the SRD, you may want to think twice about posting the link.

Second, of the links you have, the first is a PDF of a book, and the second is D&D Tools. The former is the relevant text, and thus authoritative; the latter is a helpful reference and reproduction of that text. The latter two are homebrew - DanDWiki is notorious for mislabeling its homebrew, and thus should not be considered a reliable source, while the last link is homebrew from these forums, and clearly labeled as such. The latter two links are not a reflection of the Nezumi as printed in canonical sources.

Third, Nezumi were introduced in Oriental Adventures, which is 3.0 content. I do not believe that they were adapted to 3.5 (unless there was a Dragon Magazine update like there was for Hengeyokai). So they may not be available in a 3.5 game.

Lastly, the information table in Oriental Adventures is correct; they receive a bonus to Con, a penalty to Cha, increased movement speed, low-light vision, and bonuses to Hide, Move Silently, and saves vs. disease and poison; they have immunity to Taint, one claw or bite per round, and the Scent ability.

As an aside, the information is actually reasonably well-organized, if you know where to look. Consider using this list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0) as a helpful catalog of LA +0 races and where to find them, in the future.

Catthedragon
2014-08-17, 02:10 PM
Several things.

First, please be more careful about linking to content that is not subject to the OGL. As a rule, if it's not on the Wizards website or the SRD, you may want to think twice about posting the link.

Second, of the links you have, the first is a PDF of a book, and the second is D&D Tools. The former is the relevant text, and thus authoritative; the latter is a helpful reference and reproduction of that text. The latter two are homebrew - DanDWiki is notorious for mislabeling its homebrew, and thus should not be considered a reliable source, while the last link is homebrew from these forums, and clearly labeled as such. The latter two links are not a reflection of the Nezumi as printed in canonical sources.

Third, Nezumi were introduced in Oriental Adventures, which is 3.0 content. I do not believe that they were adapted to 3.5 (unless there was a Dragon Magazine update like there was for Hengeyokai). So they may not be available in a 3.5 game.

Lastly, the information table in Oriental Adventures is correct; they receive a bonus to Con, a penalty to Cha, increased movement speed, low-light vision, and bonuses to Hide, Move Silently, and saves vs. disease and poison; they have immunity to Taint, one claw or bite per round, and the Scent ability.

As an aside, the information is actually reasonably well-organized, if you know where to look. Consider using this list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0) as a helpful catalog of LA +0 races and where to find them, in the future.

Sorry, I didn't realize there were rules about what you could link to. I wasn't trying to idealize anything I linked, just trying to show where I got my information from.

But thanks for the helpful information! That link you posted is *exactly* what I was looking for, I just couldn't find it because it's a forum post. I'll be sure to bookmark it. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I would like to mention, though, that the 3rd and 4th links I posted clearly list nezumi as a 3.5 race. So maybe they got changed between 3.0 and 3.5? idk.

Red Fel
2014-08-17, 02:31 PM
Edit: I would like to mention, though, that the 3rd and 4th links I posted clearly list nezumi as a 3.5 race. So maybe they got changed between 3.0 and 3.5? idk.

As I mentioned, the third link (to DanDWiki) was homebrew, not proper 3.5 material. It is not authoritative. The fourth (to homebrew from these forums) was also clearly labeled as homebrew.

Despite clearly listing Nezumi as a 3.5 race, those two links do not actually show Nezumi as a 3.5 race. Rather, they show one person's (third party, homebrew) suggestion as to what Nezumi could be like if it were made into a 3.5 race.

Sian
2014-08-17, 03:11 PM
I do not believe that they were adapted to 3.5 (unless there was a Dragon Magazine update like there was for Hengeyokai).

They weren't in Dragon #318, in which the rest of OA was updated so money is on no to official adaption, which mean that 3.0 OA is last time it was officially stated to the best of my knowledge

Darrin
2014-08-17, 03:58 PM
Oriental Adventures was officially updated to 3.5 in Dragon #318. This creates some problems if you don't have access to that issue, since unlike most 3.5 updates it wasn't available on the WotC site with the rest of the 3.5 updates/errata. (There was a web update for 3.0 Oriental Adventures, but it doesn't include all the 3.5 changes.)

That being said, there weren't any specific changes to the Nezumi in the web errata or the 3.5 update. And all 3.0 material is still officially allowed in 3.5, so you can use Nezumi "as is" with only minor adjustments. (You may want to clear up how the claw/bite works so it's consistent with the 3.5 rules for natural weapons, although that somewhat laughably assumes the 3.5 rules for natural weapons are consistent).