PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Stone, Dex save lets you move

pwykersotz
2014-08-17, 02:10 PM
Looking over Wall of Stone, it looks like a great trap now! Take the three inch thick variety and cast it as a 60' square around a foe. Any one with a movement speed of 30' or less can't get out at all. (30' puts you at the wall and lets the caster choose what side you are on.) Cast a second time to cross-section the area, and you have 4 cells, or else a ceiling if you wanted.

It's not impregnable by any means, but it looks workable. You've just gotta be level 9.

I like that the Dex save lets you move up to your movement speed. I think it's a great way to define it.

Gnomes2169
2014-08-17, 02:17 PM
The problem with that plan (if I remember right) is that Wall of Stone requires your concentration to maintain, so you can't exactly cast it twice by yourself... And without a ceiling, any creature with a decent athletics skill will be able to olly out and just climb the stone. Or a creature that flies just sort of flaps awkwardly over it while wondering if you lost your addled wizardly mind. So it's not exactly the one-shot-win button one might think...

hawklost
2014-08-17, 02:42 PM
A 60' wall around someone in a 5' space would actually allow them to save in 2 different directions. Lets look at the numbers

30' N of enemy (costs 30')
30' E of enemy (costs 30')
30' S of enemy (cost 35' since enemy is 5')
30' W of enemy (costs 35' since enemy is 5')

So you require a 65' wall around the enemy not a 60'.

Also, the Spell is Concentration (10 minutes to make permanent)
The wall at only 3" thick could be busted down in those 10 minutes by a normal commoner with a sword.
The wall would only be 10' high which considering the jump ability of enemies and PCs makes it almost trivial to get over. 6' tall person needs to have a +4 str to not require a check (3+4+3). DM could probably allow a normal person to get a DC check to make it up, assuming it is not DC 20, any person would be able to climb over the wall in 10 minutes of trying).

pwykersotz
2014-08-17, 02:43 PM
The problem with that plan (if I remember right) is that Wall of Stone requires your concentration to maintain, so you can't exactly cast it twice by yourself... And without a ceiling, any creature with a decent athletics skill will be able to olly out and just climb the stone. Or a creature that flies just sort of flaps awkwardly over it while wondering if you lost your addled wizardly mind. So it's not exactly the one-shot-win button one might think...

Curses! You are correct, I missed that.

But yeah, I'm not so much looking for an 'I win' button. I just like the mechanic of the Dex saves letting you move. It rewards the characters who build around such things and gives reasonable consequences for the slow moving party members.

Edit: Wall of Stone not being permanent is going to be weird...It'll take some time for me to think of it in this new way.

HorridElemental
2014-08-17, 02:52 PM
Curses! You are correct, I missed that.

But yeah, I'm not so much looking for an 'I win' button. I just like the mechanic of the Dex saves letting you move. It rewards the characters who build around such things and gives reasonable consequences for the slow moving party members.

Edit: Wall of Stone not being permanent is going to be weird...It'll take some time for me to think of it in this new way.

Do we really want fireball hoping rogues again?

Gnomes2169
2014-08-17, 05:35 PM
Do we really want fireball hoping rogues again?

The better question is, when don't we want fireball hopping rogues? :P

DemonSlayer6
2015-06-19, 04:54 PM
One thing people seem to ignore is that it specifies 10 panels are created, each panel being either 6-inch-thick 10-by-10-ft square or a 3-inch-thick 10-by-20-ft rectangle. You can encase an 80-ft perimeter with 20-ft-high panels, and then use the two remaining 10-by-20 panels to enclose it on the top.

Note that doing it this way does give each panel only 90 hit points, allowing a focused team attack to break through in a couple turns. But before they break free, you can easily AoE within them if you have a vantage point from above the wall.

Or you can wait for them to jump the 6-inch-thick 10-by-10-ft wall. Or break the wall. Either way, the net result is that you choked them into a confined space. Which makes AoE awesome!

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-19, 05:00 PM
Looking over Wall of Stone, it looks like a great trap now! Take the three inch thick variety and cast it as a 60' square around a foe. Any one with a movement speed of 30' or less can't get out at all. (30' puts you at the wall and lets the caster choose what side you are on.) Cast a second time to cross-section the area, and you have 4 cells, or else a ceiling if you wanted.

It's not impregnable by any means, but it looks workable. You've just gotta be level 9.

I like that the Dex save lets you move up to your movement speed. I think it's a great way to define it.

I tend to let most Dex saves allow the target to move on a save if the target uses their reaction.

Makes for a more cinematic efect.

@Demonslayer

Looa like you thread necroed this... Wish I realized that before posting....