PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress: Tactical Combat IC

Pelor
2014-08-17, 05:01 PM
Your mission was simple, have the The Clan's Chief Wizard send your squad to gather information about the long lost Shrine to Torag. He had a spell that would get you there and back. Well, half the spell worked. Looks like you will have to try and find your way back through the ancient tunnels of the Undermountain. The only thing you know about your current predicament is that your are thousands of feet below your home city and that their are hordes of vile and dangerous creatures between you and your home.

You are all in the Shrine Room to Torag. Supposedly this Shrine has some special abilities that have untold benefits to your Clan. Unfortunately, none of you know what that might be or how it might be used. The ceilings are 20ft tall, and there are several half-walls that are 10ft tall, and 5ft wide made of pure granite. There is the Massive Shrine to Torag. Aside from you four, the only other thing in the room appears to be a heavy 10ft by 20ft Adamantine door. It is braced by large adamantine beams. Your group would be able to open it without to much difficulty. The only question is, what is one the other side of the door.

Strength Check, DC 12 to move the brace to open the door.
May add up to one Aid another.

Dwarf Fortress -Tactical Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4Vd6vwzLzOtiPRuffVLqA1YR0ngGEAdlPVcNIwTQ7U/edit#gid=0) (Yes, one square equals 5ft.)

Please let me know where you are on the map each round.

AngryCyc
2014-08-17, 05:56 PM
"Well it looks like we're really in it now!" Rogar says gruffly, offering a small mug of brew to anyone who wants one, before heading over to the shrine to really check it out better. "Think he can watch over my keg while we're looking for our way out? I still can't believe they let me come down here with this thing. T'was half a joke afterall, but I'm glad I have it now."

He deposits the 50 gallon keg of his own ale for mighty Torag to watch over.

Xyon
2014-08-17, 07:11 PM
I say we can search this room later, it will be more important to open this door. Logar says as he walks up to the door to size up the braces. He'll be standing at S10. If you want some time, I can wait, but I think we should get going soon.

Beowulf DW
2014-08-17, 08:14 PM
Holst gets his bow ready to fire and motions for Bahraskarn to get ready.

"If you want to open that door, I'll keep you covered."

Standing at O 10. Bear is just in front of Holst.

Moranica
2014-08-18, 02:51 AM
Prydwen looks around the room in awe. The frail looking dwarf wears no armor, and it's obvious

It appears Rogar is at it again. Can't leave home without his brew... Well, at least we'll be properly hydrated. He grins.

"Best someone listen at the door before we open it. If there's trouble coming, I like to be prepared."

"Rogar, mind if I use your keg to climb on one of these small wals here? I'm not to fond to get close to trouble."

He climbs to Q14.

Climb keg DC5? [roll0]
Climb wall DC5? [roll1]

AngryCyc
2014-08-18, 04:38 AM
"Sure, she be built of a higher quality too. She can take your weight. Now lets see about this door.." he goes over and listens closely at it before taking a few attempts to get a comfortable grip on it somewhere.

Landing at S11

Perception [roll0]
And aid another to open the door [roll1]

Pelor
2014-08-18, 06:25 AM
With everything in place, it is time for things to get real. Everyone listens... and listens... and listens. Nothing is heard on the other side of the door. The bar form the door is lifted, though just barely. All that is left to do is pull the door open.

The door opens to the inside so you will have to move back to let it open. 5ft steps back will suffice for both Logar and Rogar.

Updated Combat Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4Vd6vwzLzOtiPRuffVLqA1YR0ngGEAdlPVcNIwTQ7U/edit#gid=0).

Xyon
2014-08-18, 08:07 AM
Logar steps back to R10 as he opens the door.

[roll0] strength check for unbarring/opening door. Edit. of course.... maybe its better/possible to just take 10 on it? haha..

Pelor
2014-08-18, 08:21 AM
The door opens and...

Nothing happens.

That's right. Nothing happens. The door opens, and you see an unfinished tunnel that leads into the darkness. It is a cave. The ceilings are 10ft high. There are several rocks that are about 5ft tall in the cavern. There is a double wooden door to the East and a single wooden door to the South.

Please list your marching formation. Combat Map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4Vd6vwzLzOtiPRuffVLqA1YR0ngGEAdlPVcNIwTQ7U/edit#gid=0)

Xyon
2014-08-18, 08:34 AM
Logar will take the lead.

Moranica
2014-08-18, 08:48 AM
Prydwen sighs in relief as he hears there is nothing to worry about. He climbs down and files in the marching order, before the last dwarf.

"We certainly are lucky. Would you mind blocking the still closed door with the bar? Just in case."

Xyon
2014-08-18, 09:10 AM
Move that heavy thing back in place? If anything it looks like this is not an important part of our fort for 'them' to use, I think we will be safe for now.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 10:56 AM
Drantil runs up.
Wait for me! They thought they could stop me from coming, but I'm here to help!
He grins, then remembers and tries to look surly.
Well, let me to the front! Whole thing could be trapped!

Xyon
2014-08-18, 11:10 AM
Sounds fine to me, I'll be near by in case anything comes at us.

Pelor
2014-08-18, 11:22 AM
OOC: Please Post where you move to and all of that.

AngryCyc
2014-08-18, 12:33 PM
Rogar goes last, casting a last glance at his ale before closing the door behind him, and lifting his shield to guard the flank of the march.

Pelor
2014-08-18, 01:04 PM
Without warning, sneaky drow begin filling the room. They are speaking a harsh and guttural language (Undercommon) as the female in the back yells orders at each of them. They take defensive positions and begin letting spells fly. Handbow bolts and spells fly from both the east and the south. Being the most visible, Drantil and Logar are taking the brunt of the ranged assault.

Roll Initiative. Everyone post actions when you can. If you have a higher Initiative, you actions come in front of the others. You can potentially invalidate my actions, but I will alter them on my next post. Do not worry about posting in order. I will resolve everything at the beginning of next post and start the following round with the rest of that post.

Initiative:
Fires a Handcrowsbow at Drantil. Attack: [roll1] Damage: 1d4 DC 13 Fort Save vs. Drow Poison. Failure equals Unconscious for 1 Minutes
Fires a Handcrowsbow at Logar. Attack: [roll3] Damage: 1d4 DC 13 Fort Save vs. Drow Poison. Failure equals Unconscious for 1 Minutes
Fires a Handcrowsbow at Logar. Attack: [roll5] Damage: 1d4 DC 13 Fort Save vs. Drow Poison. Failure equals Unconscious for 1 Minutes
[roll6] Casts a spell that targets Drantil. Spellcraft DC 11 for: Magic Missle does [roll7] for damage Spell Resistance to Negate.
[roll8] Casts a spell that targets Logar. Spellcraft DC 11 for: Magic Missle does [roll9] for damage Spell Resistance to Negate.
[roll10] Casts a spell that targets Logar. Spellcraft DC 12 for: Hold Person DC 15 Will or be paralyzed for 3 rounds.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 01:20 PM
The bolt thunks into Drantil's shoulder, and he feels very weary suddenly. But he shakes it off and charges, pulling out his urgosh and slashing downwards at the nearest drow.

Charge to either Z11 or AA11 (depending on your view of attacking around corners) and attack the drow at AA12
Attack: [roll0]
Critical Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]

AngryCyc
2014-08-18, 01:23 PM
hold on. I messed up. Fixing, but it's slow on a phone.

Rogar charges furiously at the Drow standing closest to him, leaping over rocks to slam his head into the foul creature.

He yells in a strange tongue:
"Oy who be ya thinkin' we ahr laddies? Tis not but the death o' yeh at me Melvyn's tip!"

Moranica
2014-08-18, 02:23 PM
Upon noticing the drow, Prydwen's eyes open wide with terror.

"Back to the .....", he halts halfway through his scream as the forward members of the team charge into the enemies.

"Put pressure on their casters!"

He then proceeds to cast Grease on AD7/AE8, after which he steps to Z7

Grease DC 15 on two Melee, Arcane and Cleric.

Xyon
2014-08-18, 02:32 PM
Initiative [roll0]

AngryCyc mentioned a possible misfurtune thing for that one crossbow that hit me at 21, Fort save in case I still need to make it.[roll1]

Will save [roll2]

If Logar can, he will move up to AC-8, and attack the Drow at AD-8 with his longsword.

Attack,[roll3], Damage [roll4]

Beowulf DW
2014-08-18, 08:14 PM
[roll0]

Swift action: activating Animal Focus: Tiger on self, and Animal Focus: Bull on Bahraskarn.

Bow attack against Drow Cleric: [roll1]

Damage [roll2]

Pelor
2014-08-19, 11:19 PM
The misfortune causes the attack from the drows bolt to miss wide.

Pryweden's Grease spell drops all but the cleric.

The Cleric's spell was ineffective.

All in all, the round was a win for the Dwarves.

The Dwarves respond with a vicious counterattack that sees three of the Drow killed.

The Cleric remains unscathed save the grease. She responds yelling to the other two in Undercommon, "Retreat and alert the others, we will return and crush them with superior forces!"

One of the casters stays in place to make certain his matron gets away safely. He fires a magic missile at Logar. [roll0]

The Cleric and the other Drow run to opposite doors and begin opening them. If they are not stopped they may summon reinforcements.

Tactical Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4Vd6vwzLzOtiPRuffVLqA1YR0ngGEAdlPVcNIwTQ7U/edit#gid=0)

Vhaidara
2014-08-19, 11:24 PM
Drantil huffs as he runs over the dead drow in front of him, down the hallway and after the mage.

Double Move to X16

Moranica
2014-08-20, 03:47 AM
"Don't let them get away!! And if they do, we should retreat...."

He then shoots a magical missile at the runaway cleric. It flies and strikes unerrorly. Somehow, the force of it seems to have more push to it then normally.

Toppling magic missile [roll0]
Trip attempt [roll1] vs CMD

AngryCyc
2014-08-20, 06:30 AM
Rogar takes a 5 ft step forward before attempting to headbutt the drow squarely in the forehead with his helmet.

Attack [roll0]
Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit [roll3]

Xyon
2014-08-20, 06:39 AM
You're gonna regret that spell, you scum logar says to the drow as he steps to AD-7 or AD-8(depending on rogar) and attacks it with his Longsword.

Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Beowulf DW
2014-08-20, 09:15 PM
"Lay into the scum!" shouts Holst as he fires another arrow at the cleric.

5-foot step to Y7

Attack: [roll0] at Drow Matron

Damage: [roll1]

Bear will move to AA10 and attack Drow

Bite attack: [roll2]
Claw attack 1: [roll3]
Claw attack 2: [roll4]

Bite Damage: [roll5]
Claw Damage 1: [roll6]
Claw Damage 2: [roll7]

Pelor
2014-08-21, 07:48 AM
The magic missile hits just hard enough to knock the Drow Matron prone. It takes her a few seconds to stand and open the door.

In the face of a furious assault from dwarves and even a bear, the caster channels his inner Gandalf, <"You shall not pass!!!> He turtles up as best he can knowing his death is imminent, but hoping against hope he will give his matron time to escape.

The caster to south turns and blasts Drantil with a magic missile.[roll0] He then opens the door.

Moranica
2014-08-21, 07:56 AM
It seems this cleric doesn't know when to stay down!!

"Someone move over and close the door!!"

Prydwen himself launches another attempt at stopping the cleric. He moves to AC7 and casts Expeditious Excavation under the cleric.

DC 15 reflex
You can excavate and move earth, dust, and sand up to the size of a 5-foot cube. If you are buried, you may open a 5-foot cube around yourself, but the spell cannot be used for tunneling. Besides its mundane applications, you can open a 5-foot-deep pit at a creature's feet. A Medium or smaller creature falls prone in the pit unless it succeeds on a Reflex save. With a successful save, it can choose to land harmlessly on its feet in the pit or hop to an adjacent square; this movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. A creature can escape a 5-foot-deep pit with a DC 5 Climb check. Larger creatures may ignore pits smaller than their size.

Xyon
2014-08-21, 08:13 AM
Your kind will only find their doom here when we re-take our home! Logar bellows at the drow as he attempts to gut the foul creature with his longsword.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

If the drow is dead before Logar attacks, he will instead charge at the cleric, if the drow is dead after Logar attacks, he will move to AG-6 to close the gap with the cleric.

Xyon
2014-08-21, 08:16 AM
Confirming critical [roll0]
Extra critical damage [roll1]

Vhaidara
2014-08-22, 06:53 AM
Drantil grimaces as the bolt of magic strikes him, and swings his axe in response.

Don't I get an AoO for him casting in melee? If not, ignore the first attack set. If so, and the AoO drops him, then I close the door on my actual turn
AoO
Attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Attack
Attack: [roll4]
Crit: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Beowulf DW
2014-08-22, 03:17 PM
Holst prepares to fire again.

5-foot step to Z7

Longbow attack on Drow Cleric (if still applicable): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Calling bear back to side.

If cleric can no longer be targeted, Holst will spend the round stowing his longbow, and drawing his greatsword.