PDA

View Full Version : System Shock 2 MP?

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-06, 02:47 PM
Right then, I'm noticing a lot of votes for SS2 in the favorite FPS thread, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in organizing and running some Multiplayer games.

I'm involved in a 4-man game with some people from the Dwarf Fortress IRC channel, and we're a fair way into it. We just used the escape pod to enter the body of the Many last session, odds are the fight continues tonight. We're somewhat haphazard on actual teamwork, its more like headless chickens running around at times. Trying to give some shells to the Standard weapons guy while he's running around isn't easy.

My character in that game is concentrating on Heavy/Exotic weaponry, with a bit of the tech skills (mainly repair, as the others are covered already), and maxed Str/End/Agi. The crystal shard is quite badass with max Str and a brawnboost, and the fusion cannon seems to be awesome on toast, although it degrades damn fast. I've got the viral proliferator, but haven't actually used it yet. Speed boosters are fun, as long as you can manage to avoid cratering against walls. (seriously, it sucks when you're trying to get somewhere, clip the corner of a wall, and fall over dead. Especially when the respawn point is nowhere near your destination)

If enough people are interested, we can start organizing stuff.

Timberwolf
2007-03-06, 03:02 PM
I'd love to play this but I don't have a copy. Bah humbug. If I can find one any time soon for a price less than ruinous I'll let you know.

Swordguy
2007-03-06, 03:32 PM
You can get it to work under XP? I've been trying for months and can't get it working...

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-06, 03:34 PM
You can get it to work under XP? I've been trying for months and can't get it working...
Works fine here. Needed to tweak the config file to get a widescreen resolution, but I've had no issues running it.

Mind you, I don't know what all is in the version of SS2 I've got, it could be it came with an XP compatability doohinky.
:edit: Ok, looking at it, all it came with extra is optional high quality texture/model packs, and the readme suggests adding a line to a CFG to prevent frequent crashes. I'm not getting crashes without the line.

Swordguy
2007-03-06, 05:47 PM
Works fine here. Needed to tweak the config file to get a widescreen resolution, but I've had no issues running it.

Mind you, I don't know what all is in the version of SS2 I've got, it could be it came with an XP compatability doohinky.
:edit: Ok, looking at it, all it came with extra is optional high quality texture/model packs, and the readme suggests adding a line to a CFG to prevent frequent crashes. I'm not getting crashes without the line.

I've got a vintage copy. Is there a newer one I should pick up?

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-06, 05:54 PM
Well, apparently there are some patches and stuff (one of which adds the Multiplayer being discussed), but I've got the game as found on a site of questionable legality. Version number is 2.03

:edit: Regarding getting SS2 working in windows XP, there is apparently an altered EXE for the game that provides compatibility, but much like a 2.03 patch, I have been unable to locate it on the internet.

Hoggy
2007-09-27, 01:39 PM
Epic bump, from a land far away~

I'm a noob to the game, but I'd like to try it. Anyone still interested?

Morrandir
2007-09-27, 04:45 PM
I'd love to, but need to hold off until the next time my RL friends get together to continue our own game, as one of them was so kind as to leave before I saved, meaning the autosave is the closest point to our actual location :smallfurious:

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-27, 07:36 PM
Can't you copy the autosave?

Morrandir
2007-09-27, 10:28 PM
Well, if you wanted to make it all simple and easy, yes.

But I'm a male, and as such, this will be done in the most painful and complicatedly roundabout way possible!

(Ok, not really. I'll get right on it.)

Anyone have ideas for time/date, perhaps a who's in?

Hoggy
2007-09-28, 08:35 AM
Dunno about time or date, but depending on how busy I am I'd be in. Timezone may be an issue. :smallannoyed:

Hoggy
2007-09-29, 06:08 PM
Anyone? I'm very bored right now.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-29, 06:15 PM
Hmmm, not sure how long I'll be able to play, but I should be up for it. We going to coordinate via forum or IRC or how?

Morrandir
2007-09-30, 02:26 PM
Either one works for me, to be honest, although the IRC would work better if we can schedule it.

Hoggy
2007-09-30, 02:55 PM
I could do another couple hours tonight, very covertly. I shall get on the giantitp IRC channel and query Neo.

EDIT: On second thoughts yo, join the IRC as well. Link in Neo|Phyte's sig if you need it.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-30, 03:22 PM
I agree, join the IRC, so that my dominion can increase in power and take over the world we can decide on who is going to do what, and when we are going to play. Also, that way we can work out any potential inabilities to connect BEFORE we actually want to play.

Hoggy
2007-09-30, 04:40 PM

:smalltongue:

And in order for this post to contribute something... um...

"Oh wait, I do have it. It's very dark and hard to see."

Lokey
2007-10-05, 04:13 PM
I'd be interested in any info about getting it running under WinXP + recent nVidia drivers if possible. (I think somewhere in the win 7xxx nVidia updates the game's renderer breaks for vanilla game + official patches).

Thinking about it more, WinE all the way. Though it doesn't quite look like a put in the cd and it works type of deal: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2270

NEO|Phyte
2007-10-05, 04:20 PM
I'd be interested in any info about getting it running under WinXP + recent nVidia drivers if possible. (I think somewhere in the win 7xxx nVidia updates the game's renderer breaks for vanilla game + official patches).

A quick google search turns up this, not sure if its your problem or not, can you be more specific as to how its breaking?

Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage, or Help! I only get a black screen!
An error message that pops up when starting a game, changing decks, moving through bulkheads, loading a save game etc in System Shock 2. You may not get an error message, you may see only a black screen.
It primarily occurs on Nvidia Graphics cards running driver versions 5x.xx and above.
Open the file cam.cfg from the Shock2 install directory using Notepad and add the line safe_texture_manager to the bottom of it.
If this doesn't help solving the problem, then please try also consulting this (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77102) thread for other suggestions.
You can also try bobruck's fixed .exe (http://www.sshock2.com/files/shock2fixed.zip). Just download it, and run it instead of shock2.exe (you may have to change your start menu shortcuts). The file will only work with a legit copy of SS2, patched to version 2.3.