PDA

View Full Version : two questions. wand chambers and properties that grant MWP

bjoern
2014-08-17, 07:40 PM
I don't want to start two threads so I'm putting both questions together.

1.are wand chambers something that are built into the weapon during the weapons creation, or are the an aftermarket item that you basically clip to the side?
It matters because If they are built into the weapon they would added to the weapons value. If they aren't then they would not.

2. How much would a magical enchantment cost on a weapon that granted martial weapon proficiency for that weapon?
---for example a +1 longsword that granted wielder MWP longsword?

Thanks.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-17, 07:48 PM
2. Complete Arcane introduces the Skillful magic weapon ability, which grants the wielder proficiency with the weapon and also improves their BAB with that weapon to a minimum of 3/4 their character level, although the improved BAB only applies to attacks made with that specific weapon, not to other weapons wielded at the same time. Costs equivalent to a +2 bonus.

bjoern
2014-08-17, 07:54 PM
2. Complete Arcane introduces the Skillful magic weapon ability, which grants the wielder proficiency with the weapon and also improves their BAB with that weapon to a minimum of 3/4 their character level, although the improved BAB only applies to attacks made with that specific weapon, not to other weapons wielded at the same time. Costs equivalent to a +2 bonus.

Thanks. That's pretty steep. Is there anything that doesn't affect BAB and just gives proficiency with that weapon? How much do you think a custom property like that would cost?
Maybe something like a custom crystal line (least, lesser, greater)
Least-grants MWP
lesser - also grants weapon focus
Greater also grants specialization.

Or anything besides the +1/+2/etc type of enchantment?

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-17, 07:59 PM
Thanks. That's pretty steep. Is there anything that doesn't affect BAB and just gives proficiency with that weapon? How much do you think a custom property like that would cost?
Maybe something like a custom crystal line (least, lesser, greater)
Least-grants MWP
lesser - also grants weapon focus
Greater also grants specialization.

There isn't any precedent for magic weapon abilities that only add to price, not bonus (there are a bunch like that for armor, but I have yet to see one for weapons), but that definitely makes sense for a weapon crystal series.

bjoern
2014-08-17, 08:10 PM
There isn't any precedent for magic weapon abilities that only add to price, not bonus (there are a bunch like that for armor, but I have yet to see one for weapons), but that definitely makes sense for a weapon crystal series.

There are some in the MIC. changeling and everbright come to mind at +2000gp each.

Darrin
2014-08-17, 09:56 PM
Thanks. That's pretty steep. Is there anything that doesn't affect BAB and just gives proficiency with that weapon?

Yes. The Proficient property (+2 enhancement, A&EG) does exactly that. However, since it's the same price as Skillful, there's not much point in taking it, as Skillful is a bit better (not only proficiency but a minimum BAB).

How much do you think a custom property like that would cost?

There's also the lesser/unawakend sunsword in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. This is a +1 bastard sword "that can be wielded by someone who has proficiency with a short sword." Based on how a normal +1 bastard sword would cost (2300 GP compared to 3000 GP), the proficiency appears to cost +700ish GP. But that assumes the wielder is already proficient with a martial weapon already.

Outside of Skillful and Proficient, no. The +700 GP from the sunsword feels a little low, while the suggested price of a magic item granting a feat is 10,000 GP, and that feels pretty high for Martial Weapon Proficiency.

bjoern
2014-08-18, 09:34 AM
Any thoughts on the specifics of wand chambers?

Darrin
2014-08-18, 10:03 AM
Any thoughts on the specifics of wand chambers?

They are awesomesauce on toast.

I see no text that supports wand chambers being added as a clip-on. So they either have to be included in the weapon design when it is forged, or drilled into an existing weapon. Including them in the manufacture would be preferred, as there are no rules headaches there. The real question is do you allow an existing magic item to be drilled to accommodate a wand chamber?

I'm inclined to say yes because I'm a pushover DM, but I can see why some would say no. You're mucking around with the structural integrity of the weapon, reducing the weight which affects the balance, and so forth. From a rules standpoint, that might call for a check to see if the weapon breaks because you've weakened the handle, but a magic weapon gets the same save regardless of whether you've weakened the structural properties or not. On the other hand, if you're using magic to modify an existing magic weapon, you can just hand-wave it as "Oh, well, I just use magic to make the metal hollow but harder/stronger/well-balanced, even though I've changed the physical properties to allow a wand to be inserted."

bjoern
2014-08-18, 10:08 AM
Also, I'm AFB and haven't had any luck finding a dungeonscape PDF. do they cost 100gp or 300gp? I've seen both discussed so I'm unsure which is correct.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-18, 10:44 AM
Also, I'm AFB and haven't had any luck finding a dungeonscape PDF. do they cost 100gp or 300gp? I've seen both discussed so I'm unsure which is correct.

Wand chambers are +100 gp. Your price confusion may have been because the wand bracer costs 300, and also stores wands.