PDA

View Full Version : (3.x) looking for a hive mind race.

Deca4531
2014-08-17, 09:26 PM
Im playing a pathfinder game and im the party healer. Im playing a Vitalist and one of their class abilitys (linking the party telepathically) got me thinking about some role play options for my character.

I decided I want to play a race from a hive where I was a potential queen but was beat out and banished to form my own hive or die. I was hoping for an ant or bee race, and I plan to take the leadership feat too so to better suit my background mechanically. Any suggestions, thx.

Darrin
2014-08-17, 09:44 PM
Ant people = Formians. Core race, but they have good support from Manual of the Planes/Planar Handbook. Very, very, very lawful.

Bee people = Abeil (Monster Manual 2). Sounds like exactly what you want. They even have a hive mind, so long as you're within 25 miles of the queen. Downside is lots of LA, although a Vassal with LA +3 is somewhat manageable.

tuesdayscoming
2014-08-17, 11:03 PM
Perhaps a thri-kreen? I rather enjoy the idea of "queen" thri-kreen being thrallherds, as an extension of the race's natural psionic abilities.

Deca4531
2014-08-18, 01:46 AM
Perhaps a thri-kreen? I rather enjoy the idea of "queen" thri-kreen being thrallherds, as an extension of the race's natural psionic abilities.

I considered them, and while I have always seen them more of a mantid than a hive type creature I could probably swing it that way.olny prob is they take a huge hit to cha which I need for leadership.

tuesdayscoming
2014-08-18, 02:34 AM
I considered them, and while I have always seen them more of a mantid than a hive type creature I could probably swing it that way.olny prob is they take a huge hit to cha which I need for leadership.

-4 is mildly problematic, I grant. If you're using a point buy system, you could always compensate by spending fewer points on Dex and more on Cha.

There's also the Magic-Blooded template (I believe it's from Dragon, though, so YMMV). Nets you -2 Wis for +2 Cha.

There are also a thousand and one ways, such as the Admiral's Bicorne (Tricorne?) to boost leadership scores through the roof.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-18, 07:36 AM
Want a bug race with a bonus to charisma? Try a Dromite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/dromite). -2 str, +2 dex, +2 charisma. Perfect for a vitalist. You even have a favored bonus that grants you 1 extra creature in your collective per 2 levels.

They even have the whole hive mind flavor built right in.

Ansem
2014-08-18, 08:11 AM
Just take Might Makes Right and **** the CHA penalty...

Deca4531
2014-08-18, 01:14 PM
Want a bug race with a bonus to charisma? Try a Dromite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/dromite). -2 str, +2 dex, +2 charisma. Perfect for a vitalist. You even have a favored bonus that grants you 1 extra creature in your collective per 2 levels.

They even have the whole hive mind flavor built right in.

I had liked them when I first statred making my character but Vitalist are a wis based class and a lot of our abilities rely on a wil based DC. Other than that yes they are the exact race a was hoping for.

Just take Might Makes Right and **** the CHA penalty...

Str is kinda my dump stat since im

A. The party healer and
B. A psionic based class with a d6 hd and the lowest posible BAB.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-18, 02:55 PM
My experience with a vitalist is that they don't need to focus super heavily on their casting stat. Dromite's are wis neutral, and you won't feel too much pain with your wis at 16. Yeah, an 18 would be nice, but having a good con is more important.