PDA

View Full Version : Outsider (Evil) with 1 RHD and +0 to +1 LA?

Segev
2014-08-17, 09:53 PM
I'm wondering if there is such a thing. I have not found it, if so. Tiefling came close, with +1 LA and being an Outsider, but lacks the [Evil] subtype. The Fiendish template has a +2 LA.

But I'll take any template or race that has only the RHD that would be replaced by a class level and 0-1 LA.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Divide by Zero
2014-08-17, 09:57 PM
1. Be a Neraph (1 HD, LA +0) or any other outsider of your choice
2. Use the ritual from Savage Species that gives you the (Evil) subtype
3. ???
4. Profit!

Thurbane
2014-08-17, 10:11 PM
I think the best least bad (and this is usually to qualify for Fiend of Possession) is Kaorti (FF p.108) (2RHD, +2 LA).

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab249/crafty-cultist/Kaorti.jpg

tuesdayscoming
2014-08-17, 10:38 PM
Divide and Thurbane have already pointed out most of the traditional methods. In my own endeavors to build Fiend PrC characters, I usually just end up building an elf with the Otherworldly feat and use the SS ritual for the subtype.

I'm fairly certain it doesn't get any easier than that.

If you don't like Otherworldly or the ritual, the Kaorti really is your best option. If you have a permissive DM, you could always try to get rid of a racial HD by using negative levels. Most DMs seem to have rather negative opinions of such "cheese," though, so YMMV.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-08-17, 11:33 PM
Another odd thing about the Kaorti is that they're a pseudo-template. Their Vile Transformation details how they propagate, so you could start off as your choice of humanoid before you gain the 2 RHD and +2 LA.

Xaktsaroth
2014-08-18, 12:06 AM
Another option if you have LA buyoff is a Bladling from MM2. He is a Outsider(Lawful) for +2 LA, but if you add on the Divine Minion of Sobek(+1 LA), your alignment subtypes change to match your deity(Sobek is Evil).

So you end up with a Outsider(Evil) for +3 LA.

Not too bad if you have LA buyoff and manageable for a FoP if money for the alignment ritual is tight.

Hope that helps.

Segev
2014-08-18, 12:21 AM
Hm. You've correctly divined my purpose here; trying to see if it's possible to sneak into Fiend of Possession before level 5.

To that end, what is a Neraph, and where can I find it and the Otherworldly feats?

I don't have a game to try this in at the moment; this is a mental exercise more than anything else. Therefore, I am looking at all the options just to see what is possible. I will be checking out Savage Species for that ritual, though a page number would be welcome.

tuesdayscoming
2014-08-18, 12:28 AM
Otherworldly is a feat from Player's Guide to Faerun. It turns your character into an outsider, but is a regional feat with some racial restrictions. Some other splat book opens up the feat to other races by means of a "Celestial Attended Birth," (IIRC) but I can't remember which book it is.

Neraph (plural neraphim) are, I believe, from Planar Handbook. Their principal benefit is that they are Outsiders from the get-go.

edit: the Ritual of Alignment, which can give you the Evil subtype, is in Savage Species, at page 148.

Kevingway
2014-08-18, 12:28 AM
You won't be able to afford the ritual before level 5 unless your DM is nice. Most other options I could provide you involve the ritual, so I'll just recommend trying to find classes that grant you the Outsider type to add onto the other options of becoming an outsider, then let you ritual your way in when the time is right.

There's a class in Tome of Magic, in the prestige class section for Binders, that grants you the Outsider type. There's also the Exemplar from Complete Adventurer that does so, though it comes online really late (probably too late to take all the levels of FoP before 20).

Divide by Zero
2014-08-18, 12:30 AM
Neraph is in the Planar Handbook, Otherworldly is in...Player's Guide to Faerun, I think?

The Savage Species ritual costs 56,000 gp, so you won't be seeing that before level 5 for sure.

Effero
2014-08-18, 12:39 AM
Hm. You've correctly divined my purpose here; trying to see if it's possible to sneak into Fiend of Possession before level 5.

To that end, what is a Neraph, and where can I find it and the Otherworldly feats?

I don't have a game to try this in at the moment; this is a mental exercise more than anything else. Therefore, I am looking at all the options just to see what is possible. I will be checking out Savage Species for that ritual, though a page number would be welcome.

Neraph are frog-like outsiders from Limbo. There is also Glimmerfolk from Dragon #321, and the Diaboli were updated in Dragon #327 to be LA +0. All three require the Savage Species ritual to gain the subtype evil. The Unholy Scion template is LA +5 and you get Outsider (evil) but that won't help get FoP before level 5.

Thurbane
2014-08-18, 12:46 AM
Another option if you have LA buyoff is a Bladling from MM2. He is a Outsider(Lawful) for +2 LA, but if you add on the Divine Minion of Sobek(+1 LA), your alignment subtypes change to match your deity(Sobek is Evil).

So you end up with a Outsider(Evil) for +3 LA.

Not too bad if you have LA buyoff and manageable for a FoP if money for the alignment ritual is tight.

Hope that helps.
I think you can pull off the same trick with the Diabolus (Dragon Magazine Compendium) for one less LA, if I'm understanding correctly.

Xaktsaroth
2014-08-18, 10:50 AM
I think you can pull off the same trick with the Diabolus (Dragon Magazine Compendium) for one less LA, if I'm understanding correctly.

Yes, as they are Outsider(Native, Chaotic), which would change to Outsider(Native, Evil) with the Divine Minion template.

Segev
2014-08-18, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the information. I'll look those up this evening. ^_^

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-18, 03:01 PM
Fiend of Possession requires a +5 base Will save, Hide 6 ranks, and Kn: Arcana 6 ranks. You can go something like Spellthief 1/ Warlock 2 and meet all of those easily. If you have Outsider racial HD, you'll have a good base Will save from that as well, so Outsider 2/ Spellthief 1 or Outsider 1/ Spellthief 1/ Warlock 1 and you're in.

Kaorti in the Fiend Folio is 2 HD, +2 LA, and you can make Kaorti Resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) weapons for your party. A Scimitar or Falchion made from that has a natural 18-20/x4 critical. With that you can go LA +2/ Outsider 2/ Spellthief 1/ Fiend of Possession, and you can even buy off the level adjustment.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-18, 03:10 PM
Divide and Thurbane have already pointed out most of the traditional methods. In my own endeavors to build Fiend PrC characters, I usually just end up building an elf with the Otherworldly feat and use the SS ritual for the subtype.

Do you really need to spend a feat on Otherworldly? Can't you just play a Star Elf? Or are Star Elves still humanoids even though they're extraplanar?

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-08-18, 03:32 PM
Do you really need to spend a feat on Otherworldly? Can't you just play a Star Elf? Or are Star Elves still humanoids even though they're extraplanar?

I thought star elves were still humanoid but could take Otherworldly due to their native region. I'm AFB, so I honestly don't know. At any rate, it does mean having to be an elf, which could be something the OP wants to avoid.

Zaq
2014-08-18, 03:32 PM
Rather than the Ritual of Alignment, you can use the BoVD sacrifice rules to get a Wish cast on your behalf, and Savage Species does specify that Wish can be used as a transformative ritual. It only works once, but it only needs to work once, no? You've gotta get your K: Religion check up to hit DC 50, but if you work at it, that's doable. (A Truenamer is disturbingly good at it . . . between Hidden Truth, Universal Aptitude, and their Knowledge Focus class feature, you can get a +18 at level 3, and that's before ranks, INT, racial bonuses, or anything else.) Don't forget that Aid Another stacks, so having lots of friends help you with your dark ritual is another easy way of adding to your bonus. If you can score a scroll of Guidance of the Avatar, that's +20 right there.

Sure, Savage Species does say that Wish can go wrong, but since your GM is going to have to be on board with you even trying to do this, that doesn't concern me as much as it otherwise might.

Not all GMs like the sacrifice rules, but there's something compelling about a big elaborate sacrifice being used to ultimately gain the [Evil] subtype. That's just appropriate, you know?