PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclassing for Those new to it

DukeGurren
2014-08-17, 11:33 PM
So, I'm going into a new game, first time with pathfinder (still played 3.5, obviously not much different) and in my new group and new campaign, I want to play a Samurai-Ronin, but I wanted to add a little flavor and thought about multiclassing. The problem is that I don't understand multiclassing to save my friggin life. So,for the sake of myself, and most likely many other people new to multiclassing, how do you successfully multiclass and understand it well enough to make your own things (and if anyone got curious, I was thinking of starting Human Samurai, and taking at least one level in Monk but I have no Idea.) Yes, I'm being a bit selfish, but I'm trying to approach this and ask in a way that would benefit ANYONE who would want to do it but can't understand the fine details.

jaydubs
2014-08-18, 12:39 AM
Multiclassing is a very broad topic to cover in a single thread. If you want the mechanics behind it, I'd suggest looking at the character advancement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement) page.

My advice to you if you're new to Pathfinder, is simply not to multiclass. Multiclass characters don't tend to be a lot (if at all) more powerful than single class characters, and they're a lot easier to screw up if you pick a bad combination.

If you're really interested in it, I'd suggest you ask for advice on the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?59-D-amp-D-3e-3-5e-d20) about your specific situation. It's not selfish to do so. We're here because we enjoy talking about tabletop games, and there are lots of friendly folks here who would be happy to help you with a build. Unfortunately, I don't personally know much about Samurai.

Doorhandle
2014-08-18, 02:17 AM
I'm hardly a dab hand at multil-classing , but I'll give my 2 cents.

Cent 1: when optimizing, you generally want to find one thing, and then take everything possible to make you unstoppable at that one thing. Skilled optimization involves finding 1 thing that will let you do everything, like paragon surge.

Cent 2: With multil-classing in particular, you want to look at low hanging fruit; i.e stuff that's usefull, obtained early and doesn't loose much utility at higher levels.
2 levels of rouge in pathfidner, for example. While that sneak attack won't help much past the first few levels, evasion is universally useful, and a rogue talent can be used to get a combat feat or something potentially as useful. Plus, you gain access to all the rouge's(considerable) class skills list forever, and you gain about 8 more skill-points to play with for those levels.

nedz
2014-08-18, 09:18 AM
Cent 1: when optimizing, you generally want to find one thing, and then take everything possible to make you unstoppable at that one thing. Skilled optimization involves finding 1 thing that will let you do everything, like paragon surge.

I disagree with this philosophy. I generally try to add more options to a character so that they can handle more, different situations. Doing this might actually raise you a tier. I also like multi-threat characters.

Milodiah
2014-08-18, 10:15 AM
I disagree with this philosophy. I generally try to add more options to a character so that they can handle more, different situations. Doing this might actually raise you a tier. I also like multi-threat characters.

I agree. The reason I dip into different classes (with the exception of prestige classes) is to broaden the character's spectrum.

Either that or to give my wizard two levels of ranger so that he's not completely wrong when he goes around acting like a ranger. My my, I certainly do love Drabak the Gentleman Explorer. Such a fun character.