PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] What will we see in this battle?

Dolash
2007-03-06, 04:28 PM
Obviously a well-written battle scene isn't just page after page of fighting (Though I personally hope for at least one totally schweet splash page of city fighting!), we'll see different events and characters and threads from earlier retouched. My question to you all then, is what loose ends, little things, big twists, and so forth shall we see?

-I'm wondering if we'll see the two convicts drafted into service during the fighting. Admittedly in a big battle there isn't time to draw out every character uniquely, so a lot of the ole cookie-cutter soldiers abound, but the Giant's always been good at slipping lots of minor characters into his large scenes, so we might spot them somewhere in the fighting.

-City-fighting? In the latest comic, it looked like the castle is almost right up against the city wall, meaning invaders won't have to pass through the actual city to get to their goal. In that case, I couldn't say if we'll see any of the locations we previously saw (The restaurents, the "Road to adventure" gate, the city streets, etc).

-Ninjas and nobles. To be honest I was surprised the ninja thing was over so quickly, but then again everyone was eager for the battle to start at that point so maybe the Giant cut the whole infighting stuff short to get to it. Still, we might see ninjas in combat and the nobles could serve some story purpose yet (After they fail to get this gate, Xykon'll need a ship to get to the next one, won't he? :smallbiggrin: )

-We're pretty much certain to see some stuff with the flying zombies, and especially the flying zombie dragon. I couldn't say how much, they might just be some scenery to big fight-scene panels, or they might actually play a part in the story (Transporting important bad guys over the wall, being a nuisance to OoTS).

-We might see those archers from earlier, although if so it probably won't be a positive thing and since this is a funny comic (and too much drama kills that sort of thing) any reappearance by slaughtered archer girls will probably be brief. Still, possible to see them again (one of them had different-coloured hair!).

-The other Paladins. Really we've only seen four Paladins at all so far; Miko, Hinjo, O-chul, and Lien. There'll likely be a number of them mixing it up in the fighting, and we may see a few more when someone (Xykon) breaks into the throne room. The smart money's on O-Chul to die ("If we don't meet again, Mr. More-Plot-Relevant-Than-I-Person, we shall drink in the next life! Now off to stand in the way of the main villain's goal!") while Lien's just plot-irrelevant enough that I have no idea what'll happen to her. Even if she's in the throne room scene, she might just be the token survivor to tell the OoTS what happened.

-The Linear Guild. We're bound to see them at some point - probably escaping, after a catapult rock hits a wall or something. Kind of iffy that they'll play a major part in the story since the LG and Xykon seem to take turns being plot relevant and the LG have had their turn already. Still them escaping sets 'em up for their next *brilliant* plan to get revenge on Elan and the OoTS.

-I know what some people are hoping for, but I just don't see Miko playing any significant role in this battle. She's really done enough recently, it's more likely that she - like the Linear Guild - will escape during the battle. Maybe even join them? That's not to say it's impossible that she won't do anything this battle, or I can say with certainty she won't (none of this I say with certainty), just that I don't see it as very likely.

-The Giant isn't often predictable with the direction of the OoTS, but if I had to give my best guess, they'll see Xykon early in the battle, find it's a trick, then rush back to the castle only to find Xykon's killed everyone. Big ole' fight. That's all I could possibly guess, and there's bound to be complicating factors during the fighting.

-There's going to be at least some problems/panels dealing with the mark of Justice and how it affects Belkar. Either he'll find a way around it, start killing undead, or it'll cause some sort of plot-relevant trouble like him being unable to kill someone on the attack.

-Hinjo and Redcloak both have a decent chance of survival. The OoTS will still need allies in the rest of their adventures and Xykon will still need a lackey to talk to and berate. How much each of them will actually participate in the battle and the plot, though, I couldn't say. Sure, we'll probably see them every once in a while shouting orders, but will Redcloak join in the attack on the castle? Will Hinjo go with the OoTS when they face Xykon? No idea.

-There is one thing I can say with absolute certainty - the gate will be destroyed. Why? 'Cause there's two more gates to go! No way would they be introduced if there was no intent to visit them, and there wouldn't be much cause to do that if this gate remained intact for Xykon's purposes. It appears destroying a gate isn't enough to free the Snarl, although it seems to weaken the cage a little each time. Therefore although no one will be happy about its' destruction, it's pretty much a lock either a good guy will destroy it to keep Xykon from getting at it (and also because it appears a ruined gate is worthless to Xykon, thus he'd go away) or a bad guy will destroy it, probably by mistake.

Tilian
2007-03-06, 04:52 PM
What will we see in this battle?

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1362/aod1tw3.jpg

But if we can't have that, I'm looking forward to flyers vs wall defenders. I was hoping we might get some action packed stuff like that involving Haley running along the wall and doing damage control, but it seems like the Order is going to have a mission taking them outside the city.

I'm trying hard not to predict much, but I can't help but feel that one or more of the archer girls are going to die simply because it would tie into 417 so well.

I'm also expecting at least one noble to get himself killed due to attempted shenanigans.

bluish_wolf
2007-03-06, 05:15 PM
Nothing. Despite the massive amount of building up, the actual battle will be skipped over. Next comic will start with, "two weeks later."

Vespe Ratavo
2007-03-06, 05:17 PM
Nothing. Despite the massive amount of building up, the actual battle will be skipped over. Next comic will start with, "two weeks later."

If that happens, The Giant is gonna have a massive message board revolt on his hands. It would be funny to watch though. :smallwink:

Indon
2007-03-06, 05:43 PM

He'd have to keep building up for almost another month to pull that off with the proper timing.

Green Bean
2007-03-06, 05:48 PM
During the battle, there will be a daring mission, as a team of ordinary soldiers try to do the extraordinary, going to the very front lines in order to bring back...

Oh, wait. That's Saving Private Ryan. :smallredface:

fangthane
2007-03-06, 05:55 PM
1. Xykon will be catapulted either into, or over, the wall. Probably over, aimed directly at the castle.
2. Redcloak's battle plan will likely involve taunting the paladins to leave their security, in some fashion. Whatever it involves, it should be fun to watch.
3. The Monster in the Darkness will persist in his confusion.
4. At some point, the anti-magic cells will be busted open.
5. Azure City's contractors are going to make a killing.
6. So are the attackers.

Felius
2007-03-06, 08:19 PM
During the battle, there will be a daring mission, as a team of ordinary soldiers try to do the extraordinary, going to the very front lines in order to bring back...

Oh, wait. That's Saving Private Ryan. :smallredface:

Nah, if they did that they would be player character, and there is no such thing as ordinary player characters.