PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone care about school except wizards?

With a box
2014-08-18, 09:20 AM
I think sorcerer incantatrix will care.. anyone else?

Khedrac
2014-08-18, 09:27 AM
Beguilers and Fiend-blooded both have class features to add a spell from specific schools to their spells known.*

Also casters using the Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation spell lines.

* - I am afb right now and I think the Fiend-Blooded class bonus spells are are school or fire, but they may just be type dependent.
Beguilers get to add illusion and enchantment spells/

Divide by Zero
2014-08-18, 09:28 AM
Anyone using Spell Focus, or prestige classes related to a specific school (e.g. Shadowcraft Mage).

Hamste
2014-08-18, 09:29 AM
Warmage as well and the holy scourge prc along with a few others. Also spell focus is a thing so theoretically any casting class cares about the school.

Ninja'd on the spell focus

nedz
2014-08-18, 10:24 AM
Several/
Any of the Advanced Learning type Classes. Beguiler and Warmage have already been mentioned but there is also Dread Necromancer.

Sian
2014-08-18, 10:26 AM
Cleric with Divine Magician (Complete Mage ACF) to a lesser extend

Zanos
2014-08-18, 11:12 AM
Incantatixes, even non-wizards, have to give up a school of magic.

Milodiah
2014-08-18, 11:16 AM
It can also be used as information in a detect magic/identify type of spell, or a Spellcraft roll. I'm not the kind to hand my PCs all the information with anything less than a stellar roll, so fragments of information- like the school the spell is from- compose the information they get if they just barely make the roll.

Optimator
2014-08-18, 01:06 PM
Feats like Captivating Melody, too.

Hecuba
2014-08-18, 01:14 PM
There are also some feat where it matters. For example: Metamagic School Focus.

This is best suited for wizards, but if you are using one of the fixed-list casters (or even just a Sorcerer with a themed list) they can still be useful.
You will, however, need to pay attention to what schools you can apply them to.

Similarly focused divine casters, however, generally have incentive to go with DMM instead.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-08-18, 01:23 PM
There are also a bunch of prestige classes that require knowing X number of spells from a certain school, typically divination (e.g., forecaster, divine oracle, Shadowcraft Mage) to expand on the list somewhat.

There are also some reserve feats that care about either the school or subschool, depending.

Chronos
2014-08-18, 01:36 PM
And Archmage requires you to know spells from five different schools.

Another one is that some creatures are immune to some schools. A tenth-level Master of Many Forms, for instance, is immune to transmutations, and I think constructs are immune to necromancy.

eggynack
2014-08-18, 05:03 PM
Another one is that some creatures are immune to some schools. A tenth-level Master of Many Forms, for instance, is immune to transmutations, and I think constructs are immune to necromancy.
In addition to that, grell and like creatures have illusion immunity, the jullajimus has enchantment immunity, and there are of course narrower immunities that protect the creature from effects that only exist in one school, like charm/compulsion immunity, and one of my favorites, dragon compendium's glasspane horror with its immunity to illusion (pattern) spells, spells with the light subtype, and spells with the words color or prismatic in their names. That's on top of stuff like mind blank.

Crimson Wolf
2014-08-18, 05:12 PM
Basically any class that uses spells that can cast spells seeing as they're feats that can help certain schools and boost them. Though to be honest I originally thought when seeing this threads name it meant like real schools in the game (like colleges for spellcasters and such) xD

Thurbane
2014-08-18, 05:44 PM
Certain metamagics only work with certain schools of spells...

Deadline
2014-08-18, 05:47 PM
So in short, anyone who casts spells will likely care, and some folks with Spell-like abilities will care for limited situations.

KillianHawkeye
2014-08-18, 06:00 PM
Nah, everyone else is too cool for school......................... :smallwink:

Thurbane
2014-08-18, 06:05 PM
Nah, everyone else is too cool for school......................... :smallwink:

Well, the Spell Versatility Transmuter variant sure is! :smallbiggrin:

Dread_Head
2014-08-18, 07:04 PM
This is pretty niche but the Spellgifted Trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#spellgifted) cares as well.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-18, 07:36 PM
I think sorcerer incantatrix will care.. anyone else?

Druid cares because they want Augment Summons, and the prerequisites make them inherently focused on conjurations with saves.

nedz
2014-08-18, 07:53 PM
Druid cares because they want Augment Summons, and the prerequisites make them inherently focused on conjurations with saves.

In core there are very few such spells — Augment Summons just costs two feat slots.

eggynack
2014-08-18, 08:20 PM
In core there are very few such spells — Augment Summons just costs two feat slots.
Not a particularly great choice of feat out of core either, due to all the competition. Better to use one of the alternative methods of getting the feat, and bypass the spell focus half anyway.

Abithrios
2014-08-18, 11:14 PM
Certain implementations of arcane swordsage would care.

Chronos
2014-08-19, 07:26 AM
Planar traits can also enhance or impede certain spells. This can be based on descriptors or on school/subschool.

Curmudgeon
2014-08-19, 12:02 PM
A Cleric with the Inquisition domain is certainly going to care about the Abjuration school (and will probably want the the Purification domain's +1 CL Abjuration boost to go with it).

nedz
2014-08-19, 12:32 PM
Divine Oracles: who get various boosters to Divination spells.

Unseen Seer: who get boosts to Divinations, and penalties to other spells.

Augment Tab
2014-08-19, 04:38 PM
Bards sometimes go to college. Does that count?

Thurbane
2014-08-19, 05:40 PM
Abjurant Champion gets a bunch of boosts to Abjuration spells. If he's come from a non-Wizard entry, he still cares about spell school.