PDA

View Full Version : Large Vehicles

TheSethGrey
2014-08-18, 11:15 AM
So, I may have missed this in the rules, but how are large Vehicles handled? Say there's a giant statue that magical can moved when operated in it's head, are there rules that governor what checks should be made? Do we just use normal mounted rules?

Muenster Man
2014-08-18, 11:17 AM
Are you asking if there are rules for operating a mech suit?

hawklost
2014-08-18, 11:26 AM
There has never been any rules in any of the Core DnD books about controlling mechs. This really isn't a DnD base setting concept.

TheSethGrey
2014-08-18, 11:28 AM
There has never been any rules in any of the Core DnD books about controlling mechs. This really isn't a DnD base setting concept.

Well, something Mechanical was just an example, what about a large creature that multiple people can ride on, but is too stupid to think for itself without proper direction, like say a zombie horse?

Lycoris
2014-08-18, 11:51 AM
For vehicles in general, there are a few types of vehicle proficiency you can earn that would let you add your proficiency bonus to any checks made (the Soldier background adds vehicle(land) proficiency, for example). Beyond that, I would say it would be up to the DM to determine the difficulty of any skill check regarding vehicles, and what other stats/skills could be applied (Athletics, Acrobatics, or Animal Handling seem an easy go-to). For characters who aren't controlling a large vehicle/beast of burden, I would just have them make skill checks if anything major occurs (zombie horse makes a difficult jump, has to suddenly stop, etc.) to maintain balance/grip/control/etc.

In your original example, note that they have done something similar in the PAX live games, often in the form of straight ability rolls (dex vs some DC) or ability contests against the magical construct itself for control of part(s) of the construct (stats of the construct would be determined by the DM).

TLDR version:

-There are some simple rules for riding vehicles/animals (see Equipment & Skills sections of the Basic Rules).
-Vehicle proficiency can be learned via some classes/backgrounds, or during downtime, to add proficiency bonus to rolls.
-With no vehicle proficiency, players may be able to justify using Athletics, Acrobatics, or Animal Handling; dependent on the scenario.
-Without any usable proficiencies, just use straight ability checks/contests.

1of3
2014-08-19, 03:47 AM
I'd a the statue as a monster similar to a very large golems without a proficiency bonus. Apply the pilots bonus, if the pilot has tool proficiency in Megazords.

Knaight
2014-08-19, 04:54 PM
I suspect the DMG will have more rules for this - at the very least, there were a number of rather large vehicles around during the medieval period, mostly ships. I'd also expect a bit on chariots, wagons, and maybe even carriages.