PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Metamagic That Isn't

Thurbane
2014-08-18, 05:47 PM
Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could help me find all/most the feats that modify spells in some way, but are not technically classed as metamagic.

First example that pops to mind is Bane Magic from Heroes of Horror: adds 2d6 damage to a spell vs. specific creature type. It does not modify spell level, and the feat itself does not have the [Metamagic] tag next to it's name.

Cheers - T

bjoern
2014-08-18, 05:50 PM
Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could help me find all/most the feats that modify spells in some way, but are not technically classed as metamagic.

First example that pops to mind is Bane Magic from Heroes of Horror: adds 2d6 damage to a spell vs. specific creature type. It does not modify spell level, and the feat itself does not have the [Metamagic] tag next to it's name.

Cheers - T

Arcane thesis, practical metamagic, residualmagic.

nedz
2014-08-18, 05:52 PM
Eschew Materials [General]

Thurbane
2014-08-18, 05:55 PM
Arcane Thesis reminds me, also in the PHBII, Elven Spell Lore - change the energy type of one spell you know for free.

eggynack
2014-08-18, 05:57 PM
Summoning feats of various kinds, like augment summoning, beckon the frozen, ashbound, greenbound summoning, and rashemi elemental summoning.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-18, 05:58 PM
Shadow Weave Magic and its descendants, Tenacious Magic, Pernicious Magic, and Insidious Magic.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-18, 06:00 PM
Snowcasting comes to mind. Also, is Nonverbal Spellcasting a metamagic feat? I think that was in Planar Handbook, but I'm not sure if it appeared elsewhere first (predictably in Savage Species, perhaps).

There are some non-Metamagic/metamagic things in BoED and BoVD, I think.

Epic Spellcasting kind of does this, but probably not quite what the OP was asking for.

Battle Blessing.

Natural Spell.

Pretty much all the Reserve Feats from Complete Mage and Complete Champion add to CL when casting a certain category/subgroup of spells, so that kind of counts.

I believe there may be one of these in ToM section on Shadow Magic. Night-Casting? That doesn't sound right.

EDIT: eggy reminded me that some of the Initiate of X spells change your casting with their granted stuff, in addition to adding/altering spell lists.

There are also some ones for bardic stuff that may also work on spells. Can't quite recall.

eggynack
2014-08-18, 06:21 PM
How about stuff like spell focus or spell penetration? Seems like it'd fit the guideline. At some point, this is really just a list of feats and abilities that casters like, though maybe that's as it should be.

Darrin
2014-08-18, 06:22 PM
Cloudy Conjuration.

Thurbane
2014-08-18, 06:23 PM
Well, the SRD definition of Metamagic feats is:

METAMAGIC FEATS
As a spellcaster’s knowledge of magic grows, she can learn to cast spells in ways slightly different from the ways in which the spells were originally designed or learned. Preparing and casting a spell in such a way is harder than normal but, thanks to metamagic feats, at least it is possible. Spells modified by a metamagic feat use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up.

Anything loosely aligned with that (except the increasing spell slot, since +0 metamagic feats do exist) should be fine.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-18, 06:27 PM
Then there are a slew of them in Complete Arcane and Complete Mage, of which Energy Gestalt and that other one pop to mind. They alter spells that are cast in certain sequences.

Also, the school-specific conjugates of Cloudy Conjuration.

And there are some racial feats that I think qualify, but they aren't popping to mind atm.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-18, 06:28 PM
I think the various Wizard of High Sorcery PrC secrets qualify here. For instance, Black Robe wizards can take 1d6 damage to make a damage spell debuff its targets in addition to normal effects. I don't know if you consider that sort of thing metamagic, but it seems close enough. There are also secrets that allow you to use metamagic effects on spells as per the feat, but spontaneously and without applying any upward adjustment.

Edit: Ah, I see you specified feats. My bad. Still maybe worth mentioning.

KingAtomsk
2014-08-19, 08:21 AM
I'm very fond of Black Lore of Moil (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/black-lore-of-moil--211/), which causes a spell to deal additional negative energy damage without raising the spell level, at the expense of pricier material components.

Chronos
2014-08-19, 09:04 AM
Black Lore of Moil is metamagic.

Psyren
2014-08-19, 10:01 AM
Snowcasting comes to mind. Also, is Nonverbal Spellcasting a metamagic feat? I think that was in Planar Handbook, but I'm not sure if it appeared elsewhere first (predictably in Savage Species, perhaps).

Nonverbal Spell is a general feat that modifies all your spells. (You're correct, it's in PH.)

Curmudgeon
2014-08-19, 12:10 PM
Well, I've always been amused that most of the feats with "Metamagic" in their names (Divine Metamagic, Metamagic Song, Practical Metamagic, Accelerate Metamagic, Metamagic Vigor, Metamagic Spell Trigger, Improved Metamagic, Midnight Metamagic, Improved Cooperative Metamagic, Rapid Metamagic, Cerebremetamagic ...) aren't [Metamagic] feats.

nedz
2014-08-19, 12:29 PM
Well, I've always been amused that most of the feats with "Metamagic" in their names (Divine Metamagic, Metamagic Song, Practical Metamagic, Accelerate Metamagic, Metamagic Vigor, Metamagic Spell Trigger, Improved Metamagic, Midnight Metamagic, Improved Cooperative Metamagic, Rapid Metamagic, Cerebremetamagic ...) aren't [Metamagic] feats.

To be fair though — most of those are Metametamagic in that they effect the use of Metamagic rather than effecting a spell directly.

Psyren
2014-08-19, 12:33 PM
To be fair though — most of those are Metametamagic in that they effect the use of Metamagic rather than effecting a spell directly.

This - most of the metamagic feats instead say "Spell."

Maybe they'd be better as "Metaspell" feats - especially since they typically don't affect other kinds of magic :smalltongue:

sideswipe
2014-08-19, 04:40 PM
reserve feats fit into this category. essentially using a high level spell to siphon of small amounts of energy from it all day.

Bakkan
2014-08-19, 05:12 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Illusion Veil), Shape Soulmeld (Therapeutic Mantle), Augment Healing,....

Jeff the Green
2014-08-19, 06:08 PM
Magic of the Land. Also, the various planar Mastery feats from Eberron (e.g. Mastery of Faerie Enchantment) that automatically apply a Metamagic feat to certain spells.

nedz
2014-08-21, 07:08 AM
Spellwarp, from Spellwarp Sniper. Turns an AoE into a Ray.