PDA

View Full Version : TheKemarden's Stolen Lands - I

TheKemarden
2014-08-18, 07:20 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaMatW7bcGRMm-cnnzZ0BBhE5RXJm4NtdezZKT3GRUIP97OQS09g

It is midday in Restov as you wait for the charter to be signed. Your band reclines in chairs in an antechamber, outside the doors which lead to the Lord Mayor of Restov's office, where you hope he is going to keep his promise and sign the parchment that will give you free reign to explore the Greenbelt territory of the Stolen Lands.

Feel free to use the first few posts to RP how you all came together/how Vyritan found and hired you all for this endeavor.

Smileybastard
2014-08-18, 07:29 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan sits relaxed in his chair confident the Lord Mayor will sign the charter. Soon he will have it and this group he has formed will begin on their journey to power and glory. A smile creeps across his face. It won't be easy, but he has a good core of people.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 07:36 PM
Alaron keeps to the back. He disliked being out during the day, and he disliked dealing with people even more. Best to let the warrior do the talking.

Xunthrae
2014-08-19, 01:04 AM
Derek sits across from Vyritan, his familiar perched on the arm rest to his right. They sat there in a comfortable silence while waiting to see if the were to receive a charter.

dancrilis
2014-08-19, 08:07 PM
Nijena

Sitting in silence for a while taking in the others, she had signed up to the poster largely to get away quickly and easily from any that were after her - but the group seemed promising.

Or had a few minutes ago anyway, now she was getting bored.

"I'm bored, anyone feel like talking to pass the time?" she queried hopefully.

Smileybastard
2014-08-19, 08:23 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan smiles as he looks at her, "Sure, what did you have in mind?"

Hattish Thing
2014-08-19, 09:59 PM
Martyn

A man leans against the smooth, cold wall. He refused a seat when the others came inside. The figure made up some excuse, but in reality the man disliked comfort in situations like that. The shadow wanted to be on edge, he needed to be. He never knew when someone was there to threaten him, plotting against him, hiding behind the corner. Martyn was paranoid, and he was fine with it. He looks over at the people around him silently, quietly assessing them mentally as his left hand twitches a tad, a nervous tic. The shadow-man runs his right hand through his gray but well-groomed hair, his left finding it's way to his pocket, to pull out a pair of black gloves. He finally moves closer into the room, and sits down away from the others. Martyn realized he needed to appear interested. He's a strange figure, clad in dark leather armor topped with a black longcoat, but most of his clothing is covered in a valuable and gorgeous looking black velvet cloak. The hood is drawn back, revealing his not unattractive, but rather scarred face. He possesses a chiseled look, but the dark circles under his eyes, combined with the stress lines apparent all over his face, sort of takes away from his naturally handsomeness, instead giving him the appearance of some dying man, more skull than skin. His ash-like hair is grayed prematurely, yet another sign of great stress, though he usually hides his hair behind his hood. It's long however, and falls over his face like poorly kept string. He's also incredibly weathered, as if the man had spent years rotting away in some desert. Coupled with his subtle and surprising dexterity, his movement like silent water, he seems quite the imposing individual despite his average height and build. He doesn't speak, but begins to put put on his gloves. His left hand seems... odd. He's missing the ends of several fingers there.

dancrilis
2014-08-20, 05:26 PM
Nijena

"In mind, might be putting it a bit to strong" she answered "this would be a more general conversation, why did you seek the charter, what sales pitch you made, what name and rationales you put on it for review, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera" she spoke the final words for emphasis as she smiled.

"Or was this merely a whim" she half teased.

Smileybastard
2014-08-20, 07:03 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan smiles broader. "I seek the charter because I seek power, power that was taken from me because of these." He taps his horns. The Surtova family does not like admitting to having questionable heritage. So much so they disowned me."

"As for my sales pitch ... I told them of our wonderful skills and capabilities. I told them of the care I took in assembling this team in terms of pacifying the bandits and establishing a sound government fostering a peaceful land. I also spoke humbly of my leadership abilities."

Vhaidara
2014-08-20, 07:33 PM
Alaron nods when Vyritan mentions heritage.
I also have faced persecution for my heritage. But in a new society, the dead can be of use in building an infrastructure.

Smileybastard
2014-08-20, 08:14 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan listens to Alaron looking a little confused. " An odd segue, but I am sure you have suffered.""

Vhaidara
2014-08-20, 08:21 PM
Alaron chuckles.
Not so odd when you consider that the heritage I speak of is having a parent who died several years before my birth. My father was a vampire, and because of his undead nature, I am a freak. But in a society where undeath has a place, such a prejudice becomes far more baseless.

Smileybastard
2014-08-20, 08:28 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan nods calmly. "I understood your heritage, but the undead you speak of to build an infrastructure would not be vampires, hence the odd segue, but we are not here to argue."

Vhaidara
2014-08-20, 08:39 PM
Alaron smiles.
Argue, no. Debate, perhaps. I view it as a foothold. Most people object to vampires on principle because they are undead. My father had to hide his nature, even though he fed on our livestock rather than on people. He was no threat, but simply because he lacked a heartbeat, he would have been killed.
He leans back in his chair.
If I can help to remove the stigma from undead as a whole, such peaceful examples of undeath can be a part of society. And thus, the prejudice against both vampires and dhampir such as myself can be eroded.

Hattish Thing
2014-08-21, 11:48 AM
The figure sitting in the chair fiddling with his gloves continues his eavesdropping, intent on hearing what had to be said regarding the other members of the team. Many seemed to find undeath a regular thing. Martyn finally speaks, wondering exactly how to word his question. The shadow doesn't look towards the others, but towards the wall, seeming to stare beyond the material. He speaks in a dreary monotone at the moment, his tone barely changing word to word. His voice is cold, but subtle. There's a sort of bizarre detachment as the words are expelled from his scarred lips. He turns his head to the side a little bit, his neck angled slightly as he continues to stare off into nothingness. "Undead? Heh..." He makes an odd little sound, a dark sort of chuckle, though there's no amusement in his voice. "I don't believe a society of... undead would be very profitable. Men, you see, are greedy creatures by nature. We strive for... things. Food, money, the touch of a lover's flesh. With the dead, even the intelligent ones, none of that can be enjoyed. There's only conflict left for you." He does finally turn towards the others. "A society of undead would collapse quickly. It's the nature of man. We need distractions, nice things, to keep us from going mad..." He scowls. "Ah, but you may not know the the cruelty of men as I do! I have sailed the world... and seen it's wonders. The cruelty of men is as wondrous as any magical land, or city of undead. But you are young... life has been kind to most of you." He turns his head once more, gazing to the floor.

"You will learn."

dancrilis
2014-08-21, 01:17 PM
Nijena

She listened a while before answering anyone but than looked to the knight, "ah the old quest for power tale" she sighed warmly "but tell us why seek power. So your family will accept you? So you can lord over them your accomplishment? See them broken before you? Teach them that merely being fiend-born is not an indication of morality or capability?" she clasped her hands together in her lap "or merely power for the sake of power?".

Turning to the vampire-born man "most people might fear vampires because more vampires do not have the best interests of people in mind - there are after all creatures in the world which have odd powers which are much loved in general. Where it is rare that the dead raise for noble reasons, stories of zombies eating there families are more common then stories of them raising to protect them after all", smiling broadly "or would those the the stories you intend to pen yourself?", she had no personal issue with the dead, but her powers were not focused on them she had to admit.

As the dark man spoke she listened and let out a slight laugh after a seconds pause "deary me such bitterness - you may be mistaken in the young comment at any rate - I am in my sixties at this point", looking around her and noting the other plane touched and other such as the vampire-born "and may not be the eldest here", shrugging she wasn't the best at ages "life is only as hard as you make it for yourself - and many people like to live lives of hardship I agree. But if they open there eyes to the beauty around them in all things they would be better off" pausing for a breath "however I believe that you mistake our colleague" turning to the one who mentioned the dead "I assume that there will be a place for a living in your version of society, correct?".

Xunthrae
2014-08-21, 03:53 PM
Derek made an incredulous face when she just mentions she's in her sixties, like it's nothing. While she finishes speaking he is processing what he heard. "Wait wait wait, you're in your sixties? You really don't look it." The young Witch searches his readings on the subject of other planar beings for an answer.

[roll0]

dancrilis
2014-08-21, 04:49 PM
Nijena

She took in the man, handsome something off about him - she guessed that he was a less obvious plane-touched possible more distant from the source, but he might be human also - he didn't seem to have the prominent features of herself or the other man.

Sitting straighter in the chair to compare her to a human she would appear as a poised late teenager, but her hair and eyes ensured she would not be mistaken for human. "Yip sixty ... two?" she paused "no that's not right, older" she drummed her fingers on her knee "meh who bothers counting" she shrugged "mid sixties", she could have simply checked the year and month and factored it out, but she honestly didn't care, "I assumed that you were older - something about you I can't place".

"Ah where are my manners" she noted that when she met Vyritan she had introduced herself before signing on - albeit his sales pitch hadn't needed much due to her hurry to get out of town - she had not introduced herself to some of the others "Nijena - aasimar sorceress, follower of Shelyn, I shouldn't be asking you all questions without giving my own reasons. Nothing serious for me just want to move on from town and Vyritan's offer seemed reasonable, interesting and profitable - so here I am", she left out the other aspect of her family history, would just muddy the waters.

Smileybastard
2014-08-21, 07:07 PM
Vyritan

"Most people object to vampires because they kill people and drink their blood. I have no issue with a vampire who does not try to feed on me or people I protect. Again if your goal is to create a society where people accept undead thralls then simply state it. You segue was unclear and unexplored. A society can be formed to be accepting, but it must be made of the population at hand. Most dislike undead for a number of reasons. Changing that would be an onerous task, well beyond taming an area and building a nation."
"I seek to build a place where individuals are accepted or rejected on merit, not on what they are."

Vyritan nods towards Martyn and then turns his attention towards Nijena.

"I was raised to lead and injustice took that from me. I seek to fulfill that destiny. I have no family anymore and have no desire to prove anything to anyone. I also seek to build a world where the illusion that is called good has no place. A society that tosses people, family aside because of their skin, their heritage is not one that I wish to take part of."

TheKemarden
2014-08-21, 09:05 PM
As Vyritan finishes speaking, a stuffy-looking valet comes out of the office and looks around at the crew assembled in the waiting chamber. He raises his nose slightly, and holds out a scroll sealed with the Lord Mayor of Restov's personal seal.

"His Lordship presents this charter of exploration to Vyritan and ... Company along with his regards and his best wishes of luck." He sneered as he stands there, as if waiting for you to come up to him.

"You are to report first to Oleg's Trading Post an use it as an outpost before beginning your 'endeavor'."

Smileybastard
2014-08-21, 09:08 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan, remains comfortably seated, smiles at the valet and holds out his hand. "Thank the Lord Mayor for my company and I."

Vhaidara
2014-08-22, 07:18 AM
Derek made an incredulous face when she just mentions she's in her sixties, like it's nothing. While she finishes speaking he is processing what he heard. "Wait wait wait, you're in your sixties? You really don't look it." The young Witch searches his readings on the subject of other planar beings for an answer.

[roll0]

The comment about age makes Alaron laugh
Is it really so surprising? I myself am only a few years short of a century and a half.
In response to the scoundrel, Alaron can only shake his head.
What makes you think that the undead lack those desires? Those that are unintelligent are merely tools, like a plow horse. The intelligent ones certainly desire wealth. Food is less consistent, but most of the require that as well, in some form or another. And pleasures of the flesh? It may disgust you, but if the dead were entirely free from that, how would I have come to be? No, my good man, the dead are surprisingly similar to the living.
He smiles before adding
They're just better at it.
And now to the sorceress
Less of rising to protect them and more of rising simply to serve them. Plowing fields, digging wells and ditches, the kinds of labor no one wants.
When she mentions her goddess, he laughs again
Somehow, I question if Shelyn would approve of the methods we seem inclined to employ. You may have found yourself in poor company.

dancrilis
2014-08-22, 12:20 PM
Nijena

She did raise when the valet entered and offered him a smile, if he sought to present the scroll she would accept it for the party, once Vyritan had finished speaking to him she chimed in "and thank you for delivering the message, your service will be remembered", many people overlooked those who served - but they frequently held power beyond expectations, and it rarely hurt to be polite. "If there is any further advise you might have on previous chartered company's, I would love to hear it".

To change the attitude of the man towards us.
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Once the man was gone she returned to the earlier conversation, with a quirked eyebrow "the illusion that is good?, that implies that you feel that good does not exist. That would be incorrect - just because you have experienced people claiming to be decent beings and failing, does not mean that such beings do not exist" shrugging "separately if you build a nation - you will likely see your edicts as reasonable and fair. Such is the way of people".

Turning to the dhampir "and the way of some people is to like manual work - you would rob them of there livelihoods and line the coffers of those capable of commanding the dead" putting on a sales voice "do I have a deal for you - you get to live in poverty without work, but wait if you sell your body to a necromancer to make ends meet, it can go on to work forever" dropping the tone "hardly a sales pitch to make to a labourer".

"As for my goddess - she can see the beauty in all things, as can I. A new born babe is a blessing to its family, and a happy smiling face is a joy to behold - but a corpse died of famine has its own tragic beauty to it, the grief of a family who lose a child only shows how fortunate others are and allows communities to come together, would you not agree".

Sitting down again "also being a loyal follower is supposed to get you into nirvana which sounds ok" thinking "maybe I can setup a temple to her in our new land - and have arts and beauty be a theme within the area, should help tourism and help people get more comfortable to your dead if they are revealed slowly, a art based populace might appreciate the manual labour being outsourced to the dead" she mused.

Hattish Thing
2014-08-22, 01:06 PM
Nijena

As the dark man spoke she listened and let out a slight laugh after a seconds pause "deary me such bitterness - you may be mistaken in the young comment at any rate - I am in my sixties at this point", looking around her and noting the other plane touched and other such as the vampire-born "and may not be the eldest here", shrugging she wasn't the best at ages "life is only as hard as you make it for yourself - and many people like to live lives of hardship I agree. But if they open there eyes to the beauty around them in all things they would be better off" pausing for a breath "however I believe that you mistake our colleague" turning to the one who mentioned the dead "I assume that there will be a place for a living in your version of society, correct?".

Martyn doesn't laugh. Nor smile. Instead he just continues to starer at Nijena. He doesn't look angry, or sad. Just... sort of desensitized. There's no emotion there, and his eyes are cold and dead. It's nigh impossible to tell what the man's feeling or thinking. And he did look unnatural, almost ghostly. Perhaps he was some sort of half-breed. He does speak to her though, looking her down slowly. It's quite uncomfortable, for it's as if he doesn't see Nijena as a person, but more like a thing to negotiate and calculate. There's something definitely wrong about this man, but it's so difficult to put your finger on what. He speaks, his voice monotone once more. "Mistaken? No. Age is more than physicality. Your body isn't the only thing that ages..." He seems to know from experience, for his grayed hair and dreadfully pale face don't quite match. He's not wrinkled, just gaunt. As Nijena continues to speak, he does get a little more emotional. A slight twinge of anger is evident in voice for a few seconds. "No one chooses pain. No one chooses hardship. The world delivers it onto the person, and over time that individual rots into a shell... and society trains the man to cope and enjoy what he can. Society..." He spits the word out, venom on his voice. "Society? No.... No.... There's a hole in the world. Like a great sewer, the vermin of the world inhabit the hole, and it goes by the name of society. At the top of the hole sit a privileged few, jeering and stepping on the vermin in the lower zoo, for people's morals aren't worth what a pig can spit, and they turn beauty to filth and greed... His eyes grow darker than usual and he turns away, quiet once more.

Xunthrae
2014-08-22, 01:22 PM
Derek grimaces after Martyn's little speech. "Well... That god dark quick. How about we get on our way to Oleg's to get that land mapped and explored? Does anyone need to purchase supplies before we begin our journey?" Derek hopes changing the subject, even so obviously, will get the group on the right track. They can always bicker about it on the road.

Smileybastard
2014-08-22, 06:22 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan nods towards Derek. "We do indeed need to get ready. Lets leave tomorrow morning. We can meet up in front of city hall one hour past sun-up."

"I need to get some supplies and if anyone would like to accompany me I would welcome there company. "

With that he rises from his chair.

TheKemarden
2014-08-23, 07:37 PM
As the company disperses, they find Restov well into its lunchtime. Cafes and taverns are all busy, and the merchants and their wares of treats and desserts are baking in the noonday sun.

Some members of the upper crusts pass you and give you distasteful looks, taking care to give you all a wide berth wherever you go.

Smileybastard
2014-08-23, 08:06 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan begins to slowly walk towards the merchants area to buy gear.

Xunthrae
2014-08-23, 09:16 PM
Derek makes his way to the appointed meeting location, having bought his gear previously. On the way he chats with Nial about the people they see, even going so far as to stare at the more attractive city goers. The young man enjoys his time waiting through innuendo and conversation while he waits.

Vhaidara
2014-08-23, 09:21 PM
Alaron, likewise equipped, also makes his way to the meeting point, squinting in the sun.

dancrilis
2014-08-24, 11:52 AM
Nijena

She looked at Martyn as he spoke - holding his eyes the entire time without flinching, her own eyes were unreadable as she took him in, the colours swirling as the gazed, she let him finish and stopped for a second to consider his words, inspiration hit her than "oooh ... I sense the soul of a poet" she pointed at him as she considered "or maybe a writer - oh oh or both!" she exclaimed.

"We could have plays and novels, and actors - all giving life to your view of the world for all to see", she was off on a tangent now.

Waving a hand at Vyritan's indication of supplies "yes, yes - supplies - I have some already, I'm good. I will meet you at the rendezvous.

She moved through the crowd smiling at the inhabitants - and occasionally stopping to chat with a seller about minor matters. Finally she collected her donkey with equipment and moved to meet the others.

Smileybastard
2014-08-24, 02:44 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan with his new gear heads to the area in front of city hall at the appointed time.

TheKemarden
2014-08-26, 11:33 AM
At the appointed time, the morning saw the party begin to assemble. Once all were present, you headed out of Restov and south towards the infamous Stolen Lands. The ride/walk was uneventful, till you reached the outpost nothing exciting had occured.

Upon reaching the trading post, a gruff-looking man on one of the roofs saw them enter and, giving an audible huff, clambered down and called out to a "Svetlana" to come out and greet the newcomers.

Both the man and the woman are over the hill, grey streaks their hair and wrinkles abound on their faces.

"Greetings, travelers," the man greets you. "I'm Oleg Leveton, this is my wife, Svetlana."

Svetlana bows deeply to you. "Welcome to Oleg's Trading Post. I cannot begin to tell you how happy we are that you're here."

dancrilis
2014-08-26, 04:30 PM
Nijena

Stopping her donkey she pulled rummaged in it's saddlebags for a bit and produced a potato she she offered the beast as a treat "good donkey" she stated as it eat the treat and she patted it on the head.

That most crucial of tasks done she left it there, and approached the couple "greetings Oleg and Svetlana, nice to make your acquaintance" considering for a minute "and what a coincidence that you share the name of the trading post Oleg, that must make it easier for travellers".

Smiling kindly "so any chance of some food, a place to stable the donkey and also wash up?" she asked hopefully.

Vhaidara
2014-08-26, 05:04 PM
Alaron raises an eyebrow.
Really? That is an awfully grateful greeting for travelers. Is business around here really so bad?

Smileybastard
2014-08-26, 07:57 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan takes of his backpack and approaches the pair.

"I take it you heard we were coming to bring peace and prosperity to this land." Vyritan smiles. "I am Vyritan and these are my carefully selected companions. I very much appreciate your warm greeting." He dusts his clothing. "Please excuse our appearance. "

Diplomacy [roll0]

Xunthrae
2014-08-28, 03:28 PM
Derek frowned when they came upon the trading post. It was much more rustic than he imagined, and a great deal smaller. With a sigh, the young tiefling quietly murmurs something to his raven before lifting his arm to give it a boost into the air.

He sent his familiar to scout around the area, to make sure there were no undue surprises waiting for them, though he doubted there would be any. These two look positively boring.

TheKemarden
2014-08-29, 10:06 AM
"Well, business has been slow, no thanks to the bandits that have been plaguing us. But now that you are here, perhaps they shall leave us alone? You were sent to help us, yes?" She looks at you all hopefully, as does her husband, but his hope is clouded with skepticism.

Smileybastard
2014-08-29, 09:24 PM
Vyritan

"We are here to pacify the bandits, as a first step to bringing peace and prosperity to the land. Tell me about these bandits."

TheKemarden
2014-08-31, 03:39 PM
"You all had best come inside. It's a bit of a story and I'm sure you could use some rest and refreshment." She led you all inside and the couple began making a light supper for them and their guests.

"It all began about three months ago. They were led by a woman with hatchets and a crude man. They threatened to take me away and burn the outpost down if we didn't give them all we had gotten from traders and hunters over the past month.

"They did this two more times, each time demanding the same thing. The woman didn't come again, for which I was thankful, but they also came with fewer men each time. I can only hope that this repeats itself and tomorrow they return with very few men and we can surprise them."

"You lot can help us out, right?" Oleg glares at you, as if he still doesn't believe you are really the helping sort.

Smileybastard
2014-08-31, 03:47 PM
Vyritan

Vyritan nods, thanks Svetlana and moves inside.

"We will of course help you out. If need be, we will simply kill them, but odds are some of them have been conscripted and we can persuade them to join us. How many came last time and do they enter the fortifications?"

dancrilis
2014-09-01, 03:48 PM
Nijena

A confused look passed over her face as she repeated the words "business has been slow, no thanks to the bandits that have been plaguing us", fixing the woman with a look "surely it has been slow at least in part thanks to the bandits?" shrugging "after all if they are not slowing business why worry about them?".

Se tucked into the supper heartily - "yum - good stuff" happily munching away "sure free food - dead or damaged bandits, fair trade" looking at her empty plate "more please - and some wine, maybe?", she grinned.