PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to D&D

PMDM
2007-03-06, 06:20 PM
I'm outlining a post that I hope will be stickyed on this site. It's basically an intro to D&D. It would have information on how to start a game, the common easy rules, and how to run small adventures. Any ideas on what the post should be broken down into?

I'm thinking something like....

What the basic roleplaying game is.
What your job is as a player, and Dungeon Master.
What you need to play.
How to roll abilities.
A basic overview of races.
A basic overview of classes.
Skills and Feats.
The basic combat system.
Saving Throws, Spells, and Special Monster abilities.
Equipment.
How to describe a location.
What you need to run a monster from the book.
How to set up treasure.
How to set up adventure hooks, and plots.
Getting Past the Dungeon Crawler.All of the information could allow someone to run a complete D20 game without any books, but it's main purpose is to break up the game into small rules that an average person could understand, with minimal hassle.

What do you think of the project? Remember, it's important that we don't infringe on anything from D&D, just set up the D20 system for someone who would want to use it.

Bryn
2007-03-06, 06:25 PM
WotC has a series of new player tutorials (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/play) that explain the various aspects of the rules, although not so much about how the game is played (DMs, etc.)

daggaz
2007-03-06, 06:28 PM
Erm... well except for some of the DM guide topics, which would be a nice sticky thread (or forum section really), you have it already.

http://www.d20srd.org/

It even rolls the monster attack and damage dice for you. Everything that is allowed to be published, they've published here I believe.

PMDM
2007-03-06, 06:58 PM
Yes, but the SRD dosn't teach you how to play. And the WoTC have only talked about character creation so far. My guide would be more DM oriented.

Matthew
2007-03-06, 08:53 PM
Sounds like a good idea. You may want to do a search on the Forum for DM advice or something. This comes up about once a month at least.

Desaril
2007-03-06, 10:35 PM
Also, I think the SRD may be the limit of the Open game content. Make sure you don't step on any trademark/copyright toes. I'm concerned because your post specifically said "be able to play the game without any books.