PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Conversational Class Conversions Competition I

CyberThread
2014-08-18, 09:50 PM
BADLY NAMED COMPETITION I

Welcome folks to the Badly Named I. This will be a place to show your duct taping skills, and holding WOTC statement, that this edition would mostly work with any previously published material.

This Weeks Theme: Natures Champion Find a PRC that fits within this paradigm somehow, and update it to 5e!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build with the following points:The PRC you are emulating, the class you are attaching it too, and a small thing about what you changed, and how the powerlevel of the PRC was changed to better suit the new base class power level. An all that delicious fluff.

Supplies: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in finding the PRC you wish to use. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 8:00 PM Pacific Time Zone 8/31/2014 to create their layouts and PM them to the Cyberthread. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 8:00 PM Pacific Time Zone on Saturday, 9/12/2014 to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated on a scale from Excellent/Average/Poor in each area: Written Form, Power Adjustment, Elegance, Overall Effort.

Written Form This should be written from a fluff and rules standpoint. If you opened up a WOTC today, and this item was published, try to give it the same formal language and matters of taste. The objects you are creating today may end up on someones table tomorrow. The better in form that it relates to other published material, the more acceptable it is. This is left up to the judges discretion and will not be superseded by CyberThread, as each person expects different things as written form.

Power Adjustment So you are going to transfer Planar Shepherd or initiate of the Seven Folds? Going to transfer over Green Star Adept? Be it broken from abuse or broken from being unusable, upgrade or downgrade according to this editions current powerlevel, and other sub-classes currently in the base class you are adjusting it too. Being a little overpowered or a little underpowered should be overlooked, gross abuses or something clearly not working due to a rule flaw should be taken into account while scoring.

Overall EffortThe overall grade, how the judge feels you did with the task at hand, this score is arbitrary, but should be tempered by one thing. Was the transfer easy to create,or can you see the grease in the contestants palm that showed they clearly had to put in extra time to make the concept work and should likewise be rewarded for it ? [/indent]

What Contestants Should Include

Name of the Base Class:

PRC Path You are Converting:

The Crunch + Fluff of each thing you are altering:

NICE FORMATTING!

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)Spells per Day/Spells Known
Spells per Day/Spells Known

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

14th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

15th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

16th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

17th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

18th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

19th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

20th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Code immediately below (spoiler)Spells per Day/Spells Known
Spells per Day/Spells Known

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

14th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

15th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

16th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

17th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

18th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

19th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

20th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

Contestants

Judges

The Submissions

Past Competitions

This format, was freely stolen from the Iron Chef.

Yorrin
2014-08-18, 10:06 PM
When I get my book shipped in the next week or so I'll prolly be in as either contestant or judge. Will this competition have a specific PrC in mind for each iteration as per the Iron Chef competition? I recommend it, though the current format seems to imply that this is not the case.

CyberThread
2014-08-18, 10:37 PM
No, as this isn't add your own spice, this is ductape what you love about 3.5 to fit into 5e format. 10 entries on the same PRC to fit within the same or similar base class, would get boring real fast, I imagine for the judges and also hard to rule when everyone has very similar things.

WOTC claimed 5e was designed to take things from editions you grew up with and be easily adjusted to this edition, so we are doing the most obvious bit, putting 3.5 E PRC's into the subclass system they have created.

Just as Iron Chef is famous for creating weird builds that folks love, this will be creating sub-classes and create a database of sorts of usable conversions.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-08-18, 11:06 PM
Personally, I think that you should probably limit the classes emulated somewhat, like the short-lived Scrap Iron Competition - do something like "Divine Warrior", which would encompass everything from Fist of Raziel to Sacred Fist to Divine Crusader.

That, or make them use the same "base" class, like having everyone build off of a Fighter Base (so they could do anything from Initiate of the Bow to Dwarven Defender to Duelist).

Just my 2 cp.

CyberThread
2014-08-18, 11:30 PM
Edited: No Longer holds true

Chaosvii7
2014-08-18, 11:38 PM
I'll consider themed in the second round, right now if we do need a title. Consider this simply as, Submit Your Favorites.

I honestly think that making a more concise and clear competition experience is more important than a name. The name is almost always the last thing you go for when you're making something, unless the name has clear and obvious symbolism. This doesn't really need very much symbolism to it, but it does need to be something where every competitor is on a fair playing ground in terms of content available and what they're told to produce.

Grynning
2014-08-18, 11:47 PM
I have some ideas for a couple fun conversions, but I agree that the individual competitions should be themed, otherwise the entries will be too diverse to judge on a level playing field. I can speak from experience with the Iron Chef competition (from way back in the early days of it) that it's hard enough to judge entries that are all linked by a class, I can't imagine trying to pick a winner from among anything and everything.

CyberThread
2014-08-18, 11:53 PM
Alright, your voices have been heard.

This editions theme is Natures Champion

Grynning
2014-08-19, 12:06 AM
Sweet. I will compete. I always judged IC so I want to try one of these from the other side.

Inevitability
2014-08-19, 12:06 AM
If we are homebrewing things, shouldn't this be in the homebrew forum?

CyberThread
2014-08-19, 12:17 AM

No please read the op.

Gnomes2169
2014-08-19, 12:28 AM
Dang... I have nothing for Nature's Campions. I never really played druids or the like, and rangers were just straight up bad, so... I think I'll have to sit this round out. I could be a judge instead for this round, maybe?

CyberThread
2014-08-19, 12:44 AM
This is what I have on my head
...natures champion

Skills not spells

Pact magic drawn thick

Grynning
2014-08-19, 01:00 AM
I am totes down with that theme because one of the ideas I am already working on fits right into it. My only fear is that someone else will have the same idea.

Grynning
2014-08-19, 01:11 AM
Also...may I suggest "Recycled Aluminum Line Cook" for the competition title? :smalltongue:

DCraw
2014-08-19, 02:44 AM
Well, I'm in if my copy of the PHB arrives in time. I've already got most of my idea done from basic/previews, but I'll need to confirm whether it matches the power level of the existing subclasses.

If you don't get a PM from me in time to compete, put me down to judge.

Edit:
I do agree that Recycled Aluminium Cook has a ring to it. I'd suggest taking the 'Line" out of 'Recycled Aluminium Line Cook', though, as it doesn't fit the naming pattern: [metal] [professional chef title].

Edit 2:
You may also want to change Cook to Cuisinier if you want to base it off the formal Escoffier system. Saucier (as in Zinc Saucier) is also an Escoffier position.

1of3
2014-08-19, 03:45 AM
Recycled Aluminum Cook Challenge sounds good. Also has nice abbreviation.

Edit because of rules: I'll submit something for round 1.

DCraw
2014-08-19, 05:55 AM
Recycled Aluminum Cook Challenge sounds good. Also has nice abbreviation.

I'm gonna do [redacted] for round 1.

It's worth noting that these competitions usually frown on disclosing what you're doing, as it could potentially bias the judges / ruin the surprise. From the op:

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

1of3
2014-08-19, 06:32 AM
Fixed it. On other boards I have experienced the opposite method. Sorry. Maybe put that piece of advise on the top?

Grynning
2014-08-19, 09:10 AM
Edit:
I do agree that Recycled Aluminium Cook has a ring to it. I'd suggest taking the 'Line" out of 'Recycled Aluminium Line Cook', though, as it doesn't fit the naming pattern: [metal] [professional chef title].

"Line cooks" are people who work "the line" in a restaurant who are *not* chefs. That's what I was referring to.

Chadamantium
2014-08-19, 10:59 AM
Maybe a better name for the competition would be "The Conversion Cookout"

Gnomes2169
2014-08-19, 01:38 PM
Maybe the recycled aluminum "chef" competition? Yes, with the quotes. :P

CyberThread
2014-08-20, 12:42 PM
Hmm.........

DCraw
2014-08-24, 03:18 AM
Bugger. It looks like my copy of the PHB won't get here in time for me to put together a decent entry. Please switch me from contestant to judge.

rlc
2014-08-24, 09:41 AM
yes,
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design

CyberThread
2014-08-27, 09:47 PM
Have two submissions so far.

1of3
2014-09-22, 11:46 AM
So what's the status? I guess the modus wasn't really popular with only two submissions, but I'd like to read the other one at least. :)

CyberThread
2014-09-22, 03:27 PM
Everyone was. Yay I want ti do this. Then everyone plunked out.

Yorrin
2014-09-22, 03:58 PM
I wanted to do it, but then Amazon took over a month to ship my book >_>

If you started it back up I'd certainly submit something (or judge, if that's what was needed).

CyberThread
2014-09-22, 04:20 PM
Dont have the interest any longer.