PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Master's Promises

Ageir
2014-08-19, 11:43 AM
So my Dm promises that the monsters will always attack my Tank, and ignore my party members. This is explained by a magic Item he's given me, I'm all for this, since I'm a tank anyways. My toon is built for AC, Damage Reduction and has Fast healing. Do you guys think this is a bad Idea? It's a Gestalt game, I'm Going Fighter/Warblade, Taking the Stoneblessed Prc to get into Dwarven Defender for Damage reduction and Defensive stance. I know the stance isn't that great but w/e. Dm runs things a little differently than normal, There's no level adjustment for Templates and races, you just gain that ability modifiers and special abilities for no cost. I bring this up, because my toons a Human with the Half troll Template.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 11:45 AM
If you're using ToB, why are you using Dwarven Defender and not Deepstone Sentinel?

Ageir
2014-08-19, 12:04 PM
If you're using ToB, why are you using Dwarven Defender and not Deepstone Sentinel?

Holy crap! I forgot about that class, thanks!

*Edit* Well after reading over the deep stone sentinal, they don't seem to get DR

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 12:13 PM
You also might want to consider four levels of Knight for aggro pulling, but if your DM is playing nice you can skip it.

Actually, I might recommend going Riposte Scout (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) instead of Fighter if you can (or switching to it after you get what you need out of Fighter). Ask your DM if he'll let things like the Improved Skirmish feat instead improve your Riposte (not that there are many (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?227037-Support-for-Riposte), but it should be fair for it to do so).

*Edit* Well after reading over the deep stone sentinal, they don't seem to get DR

DR is overrated.

Ageir
2014-08-19, 12:19 PM
Scout would help with my class skills too, since I'm taking Deepwarden right after Stoneblessed, my dm has ruled that the Con to ac isn't limited by max dex on armor.

*Edit* With that Riposte feature, if I were to waste feats on whirlwind attack, and hit all the things within range, I could theoretically get the bonus ac versus all of them.

Zombulian
2014-08-19, 02:30 PM
Scout would help with my class skills too, since I'm taking Deepwarden right after Stoneblessed, my dm has ruled that the Con to ac isn't limited by max dex on armor.

*Edit* With that Riposte feature, if I were to waste feats on whirlwind attack, and hit all the things within range, I could theoretically get the bonus ac versus all of them.

A minor AC bonus is not worth Whirlwind Attack. That feat is the suck.

Ferronach
2014-08-19, 02:38 PM
Have you considered going Warforged as opposed to human for your tank?
I ask because despite being harder to heal with positive energy, you gain a whole bunch of immunities and have access to even more.
The poorer healing can easily be overcome by getting an arcane to take repair spells as they will heal you 100% their worth.
Warforged with adamantine body get DR and augment-able AC. Their body is considered masterwork for the purpose of enchanting XD

Just a thought :)

Zombulian
2014-08-19, 04:21 PM
Have you considered going Warforged as opposed to human for your tank?
I ask because despite being harder to heal with positive energy, you gain a whole bunch of immunities and have access to even more.
The poorer healing can easily be overcome by getting an arcane to take repair spells as they will heal you 100% their worth.
Warforged with adamantine body get DR and augment-able AC. Their body is considered masterwork for the purpose of enchanting XD

Just a thought :)

A Warforged Crusader doesn't get a penalty to self heals either right? I think their racial specifically calls out Conjuration (Healing) spells.

Ferronach
2014-08-20, 11:37 AM
Ebberon Campaign setting states (P. 20 I think):

"spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a warforged."

Zombulian
2014-08-20, 12:12 PM

Ah nevermind then. That's the second time in two weeks I've misquoted to that trait >.>

Ferronach
2014-08-20, 12:15 PM
Ah nevermind then. That's the second time in two weeks I've misquoted to that trait >.>

All good, the joys of a game with an incredible amount of rules. I constantly mix up rules by combining various parts of different things.... Thankfully I am the most experienced at my table and have good poker face to sell it :belkar:...

lytokk
2014-08-20, 01:45 PM

I have never actually seen that quote before. I'm going to have to look that up myself when I get home since its been passed around on this forum that a lot of the crusaders healing manuevers and stances heal a warforged just fine, save one or 2. I think the 9th level replicates the heal spell so that one obviously has half function.

Brookshw
2014-08-20, 04:20 PM
You might want to shift focus from DR to miss chance (displacement, blur, etc). A better return for the investment on average, especially when you hit higher level and things easily blow past your DR by large margins.

Ferronach
2014-08-20, 04:53 PM
You might want to shift focus from DR to miss chance (displacement, blur, etc). A better return for the investment on average, especially when you hit higher level and things easily blow past your DR by large margins.

This is very valid.
At low levels DR is incredible but once you reach a level where you take 50+ dmg/hit and you have 2-5 DR, your DR is doing very little for you...

Do note though that your armor and shield may may some forms inaccessible to you.