PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting Foci

Daremonai
2014-08-19, 12:15 PM
Do spellcasting foci do anything other than replace material components in spellcasting? In the playtests you needed a focus to get your proficiency bonus, but it looks like that happens automatically now. They are slightly cheaper than a component pouch, but the pouch can be used for any and all of a multiclassed caster's spells (so long as the material requirement doesn't have a cost).

Am I missing something, or are they literally just a substitute component? This is relevant because I'm wondering whether a multiclass bard/wizard would need to juggle foci or can just get a pouch and call it good.

Edge of Dreams
2014-08-19, 12:23 PM
Nope, not missing anything. They're really just a substitute for the component pouch. Clerics and Paladins can get a holy symbol on their shield so they don't need a hand free.

However, it's entirely possible that when the DMG comes out, we will see wands, orbs, rods, etc. with various magical abilities that players can discover as treasure. Then, a spellcaster can walk around with a magic wand in one hand and a weapon or another magic item in the other hand, and not have to worry about putting one away every time they want a free hand to cast with.

Serafina
2014-08-19, 12:52 PM
At least some of the arcane foci could also be used as weapons - a rod has the same weight as a club, a staff the same as a quarterstaff, both could easily function as such.
It'd also be nice if any magical wands/staves/etc. could be used as foci as well, just for a bit of integration :smallsmile:

TheOOB
2014-08-19, 03:08 PM
At least some of the arcane foci could also be used as weapons - a rod has the same weight as a club, a staff the same as a quarterstaff, both could easily function as such.
It'd also be nice if any magical wands/staves/etc. could be used as foci as well, just for a bit of integration :smallsmile:

I'd imagine most GMs will allow a magic wand/staff to serve as a foci, and we may even have rules for it in the DMG.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-19, 03:17 PM
I'd imagine most GMs will allow a magic wand/staff to serve as a foci, and we may even have rules for it in the DMG.

As a focus. The singular is focus.