PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Homunculus HD increases

Mirakk
2014-08-19, 12:42 PM
I'm making an Artificer right now, and I took the Improved Homunculus Feat. This allows you to improve your homunculus more based on its HD. However...

The table lists improvements all the way up to 18+ HD. But if you look closely, the advancement for most Homunculus stops at 3HD. Iron Defender stops at 6HD.

So how is this handled? Improved Homunculus doesn't specifically say anything about advancing a homunculus beyond its maximum HD. Was this something that was supposed to be implied by the feat? Or just a normal function of Homunculus advancement? If so, where is this even covered?

Seems kind of confusing to me.

Rijan_Sai
2014-08-19, 04:05 PM
I'm making an Artificer right now, and I took the Improved Homunculus Feat. This allows you to improve your homunculus more based on its HD. However...

The table lists improvements all the way up to 18+ HD. But if you look closely, the advancement for most Homunculus stops at 3HD. Iron Defender stops at 6HD.

So how is this handled? Improved Homunculus doesn't specifically say anything about advancing a homunculus beyond its maximum HD. Was this something that was supposed to be implied by the feat? Or just a normal function of Homunculus advancement? If so, where is this even covered?
Seems kind of confusing to me.

Artificer Class Feature, Eberron Campaign Setting, pg 32.
Specifically:
An artificer can also upgrade an existing homunculus that he owns, adding 1 Hit Die at a cost of [REDACTED]

Kesnit
2014-08-19, 04:12 PM
Per the write-up on Create Homunculus,

An artificer's homunculus can have as many Hit Dice as its master's Hit Dice minus 2.

Mirakk
2014-08-19, 08:21 PM
I had seen both of those passages, but wasn't sure if any of that superseded the table for the actual creatures.

But then I just remembered the rule of text over table, and that argument seems solved. Thanks guys!

phlidwsn
2014-08-20, 08:24 AM
I had seen both of those passages, but wasn't sure if any of that superseded the table for the actual creatures.

But then I just remembered the rule of text over table, and that argument seems solved. Thanks guys!

Remember also, specific overrides general. An artificer's created Homunculus is a more specific area of the rules than the general entry on a typical Homunculus, so it trumps.