PDA

View Full Version : Rocket (Raccoon) from Guardians of the Galaxy E6 Factotum/Artificer Gestalt

Ramza00
2014-08-19, 01:59 PM
So the DM is about to start a planar / space faring campaign with 3.5 e6 gestalt rules. It is going to be a mixture of a fantasy/sci fi/adventure theme.

I want to make Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy as my character as a factotum 6 / artificer 6 gestalt.

A character who is too smart for his own good and loves to tinker. I want to make my character who has a basket load of tricks, an inspector gadget / batman. He also loves to blow things up, be a blaster / battlefield controller with wands. He does not cast "magic" instead he is a tinkerer who can do magical like effects due to his gadgets.

Big houserules

There is a max of 3rd level spells in this universe for the full casters, 2nd level spells for bards, 1st levels spells for paladins, rangers, trapsmith, etc. Aka the type of spells you can cast at ecl 6. There may be some higher level effects in this planar universe but the players and most npcs can't do this type of thing.
Metamagic can only raise spells to an effective 3rd level. Only metamagic that are +0, +1, +2 exists in this world. No metamagic reducers, and no metamagic spell trigger. The metamagic item infusion does exist but it is limited to 3rd level effects after the granting of the metamagic.
No xp costs for crafting. Artificer gets a small amount of extra gold to make up for craft reserve. Slight changes in costs for crafting and purchasing items
No xp costs for spells, translated to gp cost at a 5:1 ratio
DM has the right to scale back options and scale up options to create a world that follows the aura of e6. He will try to be proactive but he will also be reactive.

Houserules (not all are listed but these are big ones)

Max level of spells in universe is Level 3 for Wizard, Cleric, etc. Level 2 for Bards. Level 1 for Paladins, Rangers, Trapsmith. Effectively the highest spell levels you can get via 6 levels in a class.
Wand costs is Spell Level*Caster Level*Charges*16. Wands may be made with a minimum of 20 charges or any number greater than 20 in multiples of 10. Thus you can make cheaper wands since you can do 20 charges instead of 50. This means wands cost 1/15 more than DMG but you can buy or make smaller versions. Change was done to make the numbers always even and thus easier for math and bookkeeping. Thus a 1st level wand with 50 charges would cost 800 instead of 750 in a marketplace
Thus if you craft a wand the cost per charge is Spell Level*Caster Level*Charges*8. With the artisan feat it is now Spell Level*Caster Level*Charges*6
Scroll cost is Spell Level*Caster Level*24 (normal cost is 25)
Potion cost is Spell Level*Caster Level*36 (normal cost is 50) This is a substantial price decrease. This allows you to make buffs for your allies
No XP costs with crafting, spells etc. Some things will have xp costs replaced with gp costs in a 5:1 ratio. Some things like crafting costs are just handwaved out of the game.
100 GP per hour worked for item crafting. 200 GP bonus for 8 hours worked, max amount of hours worked per day is 8 (thus 1,000 gp maximum). Thus if you spend 1 hour you can craft a 100 gp item. 2 Hours a 200 gp item, etc. This is effectively the same as normal rules but if you are in a town (not a dungeon) it may only take an hour or two hours to do a minor item like a scroll. It also allows you to make multiple scrolls, wands, etc per day
Extraordinary Artisan 25% cost reduction only works if you keep the item in party. If you try to resell it people will pay 25% less for the item due to "shoddy workmanship." Effectively you can use crafting to convert crappy DM rewards into good DM rewards but you can't use it to generate free wealth. Wealth incurred should be a function of adventuring and not trying to break the system.
Only +2 metamagic or less in the world
Cannot use metamagic to increase past level 3 for spells, no metamagic reduction
Fell Drain can only bestow 1 negative level per round no matter the source (DM balance limit)
Craft Reserve is converted into free gp to buy items equal to XP*5. Thus 2250 free gp for the artificer to use for crafting from level 1 to 6.
Free Capstone at 25,000 XP (21,000 XP normal level 6) for each class that reaches 6th level without prestige or multicasting. These capstones can be improved 1 time with a E6 Epic Feat, and there are Epic Feats for the people who want to multiclass though they may not be as strong for some are limited to the people who single class.
E6 Epic Feats at 25,000 XP and each 5,000 XP after.
Factotum gives infusion dilettante instead of arcane dilettante. Infusions done by Infusion Dilettante only take 1 round to work similar to using an action point. Your can cast as many infusions of the max level you can cast via factotum (thus 2nd level) but you must choose a different infusion each time you use this ability per 24 hour period.
No retain essence ability.
Redone skill system similar to pathfinder.
Increases in Int from HD give you retroactive skill points. Items that boost Int do not give you skill points
Do not roll for hitpoints. d4 gets 3 HP+Con, d6 gets 4 HP+Con, d8 gets 5 HP+Con, d10 gets 6 HP+Con, d6 gets 7 HP+Con

Right now I am just brainstorming options and will gladly take input.
I will appreciate any help even if you just throwing things at the wall and seeing if it sticks. I will edit and add more stuff later :)

Race I know is going to be a beguiler. Right size, right stats, right abilities, and it looks like a raccoon (even though flavor can always be changed)

http://geeksout.org/sites/default/files/event-images/guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon-what-did-we-learn-from-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-preview.jpeg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/Celestialdragon100/84366.jpg

Main Edit 1: Added some more info about house rules and formatting.