PDA

View Full Version : Globe of Invulnerability v Flashburst

RolandDeschain
2014-08-19, 02:51 PM
Title says it all.

If a Flashburst spell were cast so that the Globe were not within the 20ft radius burst, but the person within the Globe had line of sight to the burst within 120 ft, would they have to make a save v blindness?

Thanks guys, the answer is probably really, really simple I'm just to dense to see it....

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 03:10 PM
Blindness would be part of the spell's effects, which globe blocks.

Psyren
2014-08-19, 03:26 PM
As Fax said, they would see the spell go off but it wouldn't do anything to them. Fluff it however you like - maybe the globe turns opaque for an instant or something.

Barstro
2014-08-19, 03:39 PM
I think a fair reading of Globe of Invulnerability is that it automatically stops spell effects that have a saving throw (I feel that Black Tentacles should work in the sphere if the origin point is outside the sphere (and people agree that it's an origin point instead of an area effect and that the tentacles are called natural objects instead of magical (but I can understand the argument the other way))). Sadly this reasoning breaks down with spells like Magic Missile that have no saving throw but obviously continue to be magical, since they automatically hit.

Irrespective of that, GoI seems to clearly stop the effect of blindness since that spell does have a saving throw. You could almost argue that a Fortitude save is the attempt to resist a non-magical effect, but with a Will save the creature is trying to use sheer mental power to stop the blindness. That smacks of magic to me. All those magical light particles waves particles do not do anything within the sphere.

RolandDeschain
2014-08-19, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys, makes perfect sense.

It also negates the effect if the source of the Flashburst is a wand or scroll, correct?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 03:59 PM
Source of the spell doesn't matter, as long as the spell itself is of 4th or lower level.