PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a Human Commoner 1

2014-08-19, 02:55 PM
How many ways can the playground use a Human Commoner 1? Let's find out!

Inevitability
2014-08-19, 02:59 PM
I posted a build some time back where a 1st level human commoner killed the Tarrasque by creating an Allip, Commanding it to attack the big T, and then casting Miracle to make sure Tarry stayed dead.

The quote in my signature should get you to the thread.

2014-08-19, 03:01 PM
I posted a build some time back where a 1st level human commoner killed the Tarrasque by creating an Allip, Commanding it to attack the big T, and then casting Miracle to make sure Tarry stayed dead.

The quote in my signature should get you to the thread.

Wait, wasn't that a grey elf?

Segev
2014-08-19, 03:03 PM
Handle Animal to train dogs or goats to attack.
Longspear to Aid Another (or benefit from animals' Aid Another) in combat.

They can know Craft skills; turning your Thrallherd's 1st level believers into a commoner sweat shop is an option.

They make good hosts for Necrotic Cysts; send them mingling with your foes and detonate them with Necrotic Eruption. Or use Necrotic Scrying on the ones you leave lying around as sleeper agents.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-19, 03:10 PM
Infinite chickens. Everlasting pork products. Commoner Railgun.

You could also use Commoners with the Dead flaw, theoretically, to bait opposing necromancers into wasting spell regents.

gorfnab
2014-08-19, 03:14 PM
Here is a Commoner Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232822-The-Commoner-Handbook) that list several uses for a Commoner.

Owl Prowler
2014-08-19, 03:27 PM
Soylent Green. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE)

Coidzor
2014-08-19, 03:33 PM
Coat rack. Ambulatory torch/lantern holder. Potion-pourer. Packmule. Animal groom.

Infinite Chicken machine.

Alchemist fire or Net thrower.

Emergency food supply that then gives bone and skin for crafting. Emergency food supply that then gives a skeleton for animating into an infinite energy source.

Part it out to several different types of undead, especially if homebrew is on the table.

Monster bait.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-19, 03:36 PM
In numbers, they're pretty good for Search/Spot/Listen/Gather Information checks over a large area.

Zanos
2014-08-19, 03:38 PM
(Ab)Using aid another.

Jormengand
2014-08-19, 03:43 PM
Sacrifice him to get infinite wish loops.

Coidzor
2014-08-19, 08:10 PM
Breeding stock.

Non-PC to infect with various forms of lycanthropy in order to get just the right special blend for one's army of minions.

Inevitability
2014-08-20, 07:16 AM
Wait, wasn't that a grey elf?

No. You need the human bonus feat for it.

Sian
2014-08-20, 09:00 AM
getting expensive ore out of your private mine for a few copper pieces a day (for feeding them)

Telonius
2014-08-20, 10:37 AM
Commoner: possesses a soul, which can be good for sacrifice/crafting/barter.

Useful for spreading information. Low sense motive check means they're useful for spreading misinformation.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-20, 05:03 PM
Dispensing plot hooks.

Making food and money disappear.

Holding your bags for you.

Driving the wagon while you sleep and regain spells.

Planting a larval version of itself in a member of pretty much any race to give her ~9 months of (Ex) penalties and a decent chance to flat-out die, followed by up to 30 years (or more, depending on race) of wasted actions and squandered WBL. Depending on circumstances, the resulting spawn may be of use.

sideswipe
2014-08-21, 07:40 AM
Planting a larval version of itself in a member of pretty much any race to give her ~9 months of (Ex) penalties and a decent chance to flat-out die, followed by up to 30 years (or more, depending on race) of wasted actions and squandered WBL. Depending on circumstances, the resulting spawn may be of use.

unless a cleric comes along and casts remove disease. since offspring still in the womb can be classes as "parasites" aka a parasitic disease.

also, if you have access to contagion and you have a lenient DM, and you have a way to channel your spells through a weapon, and the chosen weapon is an unarmed strike (which can be any body part)....
you could then channel your spell contagion into your male member unarmed strike and strike another creature, this can cause them to become pregnant instantly.

commoners are good for extras in any campaign.

Aliek
2014-08-21, 11:07 AM
Entering the survivor PRC at ECL 2? :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2014-08-21, 08:07 PM
They can act like Prestidigitation and clean things for you, I suppose.

No one pays attention to them, so one could give them a half-way decent disguise and use them as decoy messengers for one's actual method of sending messages.

If you have access to the Book of Erotic Fantasy, you can even use a lowish level cleric spell to make that off-spring into a Half-Celestial so that they'll be hamstrung when it comes time to try to level up due to the hefty LA from that on top of whatever else might enter into the mix.

Inevitability
2014-08-22, 12:58 AM
If you have access to the Book of Erotic Fantasy, you can even use a lowish level cleric spell to make that off-spring into a Half-Celestial so that they'll be hamstrung when it comes time to try to level up due to the hefty LA from that on top of whatever else might enter into the mix.

Everyone knows that evil generals get overthrown by their sons/daughters quite often, yes? So every evil general would just have to do this and see how his children struggle to defeat him (they're still good, after all) but can't.

XmonkTad
2014-08-23, 01:55 AM
The Necrommoner:

A commoner with the Death Devotion (CChamp) feat and a Sap could run around giving out negative levels and building up a wight army. Shape Soulmeld [Blink Shirt] could get you into just about any farm house to find your sleeping victims. Basically you just blink into someones house, sheath your weapon in negative energy and keep Coup de Gras-ing them until they fail a save (you have 10 rounds to do it). The negative level should kill them (providing you didn't pick the town blacksmith).

Coidzor
2014-08-23, 02:41 AM
Everyone knows that evil generals get overthrown by their sons/daughters quite often, yes? So every evil general would just have to do this and see how his children struggle to defeat him (they're still good, after all) but can't.

Well, there's a Half-Fiend equivalent spell, too. I can't recall for certain if it's a spell level lower or not, but I think it might be.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-23, 07:03 AM
Well, there's a Half-Fiend equivalent spell, too. I can't recall for certain if it's a spell level lower or not, but I think it might be.

Yeah, everything will go according to plan because we all know that protagonist children of demons and evil generals are not only never strong enough to defeat their parents, but will never reject their parents, heritage, or upbringing, much less successfully.

It's almost like you're trying to set up a cliche fantasy adventure story :smalltongue:

Mithril Leaf
2014-08-23, 07:19 AM
Assuming you give them the non-elite array, you can have them rear your baby animals of up to 13 HD.

sideswipe
2014-08-23, 07:27 AM
Assuming you give them the non-elite array, you can have them rear your baby animals of up to 13 HD.

so if you give them the elite array they can raise more?

Coidzor
2014-08-23, 02:09 PM
sideswipe: Yes. It's 15+HD of the animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm) to rear it from wild, so a higher Charisma means a higher Handle Animal check means a higher HD animal.

Yeah, everything will go according to plan because we all know that protagonist children of demons and evil generals are not only never strong enough to defeat their parents, but will never reject their parents, heritage, or upbringing, much less successfully.

It's almost like you're trying to set up a cliche fantasy adventure story :smalltongue:

Well, I just think it makes it more interesting when one brother is half-angel and the other is half-demon, all without having to actually switch up who the father and mother are. Or just alternating for the lulz.

I mean, intentionally making it hard for your kids to gain levels has to be the epitome of bad parenting in D&D land, after all. XD For bonus points, find a Song or Steel Dragon to marry/contract children with and cripple them with a +7 LA.

Not sure what you could do past that to really lay on the LA, though, other than lycanthropy/emantothropy, which would give RHD for the half-celestial or half-fiend SLAs to work off of.

atemu1234
2014-08-23, 02:13 PM
In answer to the title...

Ammunition.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-23, 02:20 PM
Housecat lethality barometer.

Vogonjeltz
2014-08-23, 03:05 PM
How many ways can the playground use a Human Commoner 1? Let's find out!

They are useful as Rorschach tests to determine your players alignments.

Inevitability
2014-08-23, 03:29 PM
They are useful as Rorschach tests to determine your players alignments.

DM: "What do you see in this commoner?"

"A lone soul, requiring protection and guidance."
"Someone who clearly isn't as awesome as I am."
"Food."

atemu1234
2014-08-23, 03:32 PM

"Food."

"Temporary Dagger Depository" :belkar:

Coidzor
2014-08-23, 04:21 PM

"Food."

"Towel rack?"
"I didn't put ranks in Spot."

Slipperychicken
2014-08-23, 05:02 PM

"Free chickens"

Bad Wolf
2014-08-23, 06:44 PM
Spell components.

Coidzor
2014-08-23, 06:48 PM
Spell components.

Crawling Claw factory.

atemu1234
2014-08-23, 07:00 PM
Crawling Claw factory.

Ring that someone else "lost".

Middle of spell, one of the commoners goes, "Hey! That's my ring!".