PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Two Crafting Feats in Dire Need of Revision

Durazno
2014-08-19, 03:36 PM
So I love how simple 5e's crafting system is, but was a little disappointed by how long everything takes in it. This will no doubt require a lot of rebalancing, but I wanted to throw the ideas down and see what we can do with them.

EDIT: Fixed faulty math.

Confident Crafter (Craftsman? Craftsperson?)
Choose one set of artisan's tools. You gain the following benefits:

Your Dexterity improves by 1.
During downtime, if you are not paying for a comfortable lifestyle, you can craft item an item requiring the chosen artisan's tools that is worth up to 5 gp per point of your proficiency bonus in a day, or pay that many gp towards a larger project. (E.g. if your proficiency bonus is +6, you could craft a suit of plate in 50 days by paying 30gp a day.)
Characters assisting you can contribute up to 5 gp for every two points of their proficiency bonus per day unless they also have this feat.
You can take this feat multiple times, choosing a different set of artisan's tools for it to apply to each time.

Yeah, one person banging out a suit of plate in 50 days is kind of wild, but I think that it might not be too horrendous by level 17?

Magewright
Choose one set of artisan's tools. You gain the following benefits when you are item with the chosen tools:

Your Intelligence improves by 1.
You can imbue the item you're crafting with a limited number of charges of a spell that you know that is 3rd level or less. Imbuing an item this way costs 50gp + 100gp * the spell's level for each charge, but you can double your rate of crafting for the purposes of adding these charges. (E.g. you spent 100 days crafting a suit of plate and wanted to add three charges of Shocking Grasp, this would add 150 gp to the cost but only 15 days to the time it takes.) The creature wearing or wielding the item can expend a charge to cast the spell as though they were a spellcaster of a level equal to their character level, using the minimum possible spell slot.
You can imbue an existing nonmagical item with charges of a spell you know that is 3rd level or less by spending 50gp + 100gp * the spell's level for each charge and taking the full amount of crafting time for that value.
Alternatively, you can imbue a single charge of a spell into an item in your possession by paying 100+200gp * the spell's level and taking half the amount of crafting time for that value. (In this case, you can make the single charge cast the spell at a higher level by paying for that level.) The character wielding or wearing the item cannot choose to expend this charge; rather, the spell is cast from the wearer/wielder's position instantly when a simple condition set at the time of crafting is met. {not sure the rules for the conditions} (E.g. you could spend 10 days and 100gp to imbue the party fighter's splint mail with Spare the Dying and set the condition "Wearer drops to 0 hp.")
You can take this feat multiple times, choosing a different set of artisan's tools for it to apply to each time.

This one is even iffier. I have no idea about the costs. And it'd take a lot of time and gold for a relatively small benefit, especially since by definition they have to be spells that you can cast already. The main reason I wanted it was for the silliness that the fourth bullet point allows. The evil noble commissions you to make him a shield, so you imbue it with Sleep and laugh as his mercenaries keel over around him when he yells "CHARGE!" Or on her birthday, the halfling wizard gives all the members of her party vaguely insulting magic items, like the Spare the Dying armor above or a wand of Prestidigitation for the Barbarian so he can clean his clothes once in a while, jeez.

EDIT: Fixed math in the first one. I was still assuming assistants when I shouldn't have.