PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Golemancer Help

StoneCipher
2014-08-19, 05:33 PM
So, I've got a Human Lich Wiz 3/Archivist 3/M. Theurge 8 in my campaign who has studied for years and years on the art of creating magical constructs. I'm looking for mainly some more flavor to back this guy up since he is a major character.

This guy isn't built for combat at all, and mainly just loves the challenge of building something completely overpowering and indestructible. He has studied everything from arcane spells to divine rituals to aid his expertise. Oh, and he's somewhat of a worshiper of Nerull.

That being said, I'm looking for some neat items he could have. Things that would fit his style and if it helps add to his combat abilities, great, if not, I'm not too worried about it. I'm also kinda basing his resources off of the PC wealth table, but I'm willing to go somewhat over that if the right items are suggested.

Right now he just has a Staff of Resizing.

Anyone have thoughts on some good items? Maybe even some good stock constructs that I could use as well?

LurKing
2014-08-19, 06:00 PM
Shadesteel Golems (monster manual iii, page 72) are pretty great. They have the standard magic immunity, but the few spells that explicitly ignore the immunity are beneficial instead of harmful. (For true shenanigans, enchant them with Continual Flame, possibly Heightened to high level, then cover the flame so they retain their Hide-In-Plain-Sight analog.)

StoneCipher
2014-08-20, 10:54 AM
That thing seems to fit this BBEG perfectly, he does use a Shadow Elemental to create his signature golem, which is basically a collection of living specimens bound together magically and physically to form a writhing, screaming, mass of people wishing for death that are being controlled physically by the bound Shadow Elemental

Nettlekid
2014-08-20, 11:15 AM
Not so much a suggestion for the golems but maybe a cohort/second-in-command, a Truenamer. Truenamer 11 gets Rebuild Item, and the flavor text in the book actually describes a Truenamer using Rebuild Item to restore some dead Iron Golems. If any of your golems fall, this guy could bring them back. If he's a high enough level he can restore more than one at once (if they all died on the same turn) but that's probably unnecessary.

I've thought about this a little, and the Scouring Slinger/Scouring Stanchion seem like a good choice to me. They're like buggy trees that walk around so you could build a little hut or something on top of them and ride them all over the place, but the coolest thing is that they have an HP pool between all of them in the nearby area. If one falls, they all fall, but only if they all fall will one fall. (Which makes them a great target for the Truenamer.)

Also the Grisgol comes to mind as an interesting Construct. Being made out of a Lich's Phylactery, maybe your guy plans to become one if he's defeated, or maybe some other bad guy wants to turn this Lich into one.

StoneCipher
2014-08-20, 11:34 AM
I like the truenamer idea. He could easily ruin the party's day without breaking a sweat and limit the need for the creation of new golems. The Lich will need a second in command for sure, as he has to wrangle up a bunch of acolytes for the creation purposes and him trying to run it all by himself would be difficult since he devotes quite a bit of time for studying and researching when he isn't crafting these golems.

Seclora
2014-08-20, 02:46 PM
Ah, would that I could find the source, but I once stumbled upon a feat called 'Rudimentary Intelligence' which allowed, for the affordable fee of 8,000 Gold, a crafter to gift his golems an Int score equal to half his caster level.

Even with an Int of 5, a golem would be able to gain feats, skills, and even class levels in theory. Such a golem would be able to improvise in the field, learn from its enemy's tactics, albeit poorly, and make better use of their own power.

Found it! Dragon Magazine #327. You may also find the following threads useful.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246170-Modifying-Constructs-3-5
and
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/magic/buildingAndModifyingConstructs.html