PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky little hobbitses!

Soarel
2014-08-19, 05:55 PM
So yeah, Tolkien-styled hobbits. They're a variant of halflings, obviously. I'll expand on this as I come up with more features.

Hobbits

Stats:Hobbits are short, chubby creatures who prefer a relaxed lifestyle. They have a mundane sort of magic about them that allows them to evade capture. However, they have never been counted amongst the smartest of creatures. (+4 dex, +2 con, -2 int)

Size: The average Hobbit stands about three feet tall, shorter than dwarves and standard halflings. They are Small and take the appropriate benefits and penalties of Small size.

Hobbit feet: Hobbits are related to halflings, but possess their traits to the extreme. Their feet are quite large and covered in thick, curly fur, and therefore hobbits are unable to wear shoes. If forced to wear shoes they take a -2 penalty on Stealth checks until the horrid shoes are removed.

Stealth: Hobbits possess a mundane sort of magic about them, one that grants them a +2 bonus on Stealth checks.

Social: Hobbits are incredibly social, gaining a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks (+5 when interacting with other hobbits or halflings).

Alignment and religion: Hobbits tend to gravitate towards gods of community and nature, preferring both nature and city gods. Most hobbits are Neutral Good, though adventuring-hobbits tend to gravitate towards Chaotic Good.

Relations to base PF races: Hobbits distrust humans, the "Big Folk". They are on good terms with dwarves, and consider halflings to be their more foolish kin. Elves are seen as angelic beings to be bowed down to and respected. Hobbits despise and fear half-orcs, seeing them as monsters to be slain and exiled. Most hobbits do not know of or care for half-elves, who they see as being the same as elves.

Society and culture: Just read "Concerning Hobbits". Though I might add that hobbit adventurers are more respected by their families and communities in this homebrew than in Tolkien's world.

Worldbuilding Note: In my campaign setting, these replace halflings instead of accompanying them. I recommend you do so too, or have halflings as a rare modern offshoot of the primordial and more common hobbit.

Mangles
2014-08-19, 07:18 PM
All the hobbits who go adventuring in Tolkien's books trend towards the chaotic within their community, not the lawful. As an example, though Bilbo signs a contract to go adventuring, he does so against his good judgment on a whim.

Soarel
2014-08-19, 11:42 PM
All the hobbits who go adventuring in Tolkien's books trend towards the chaotic within their community, not the lawful. As an example, though Bilbo signs a contract to go adventuring, he does so against his good judgment on a whim.

Changed that.

atemu1234
2014-08-20, 12:16 AM
For the shoes, go with a -2 circumstance penalty on stealth checks. Less crippling.

inuyasha
2014-08-20, 11:05 AM
But...that was the original point of the halfling. It was originally called the hobbit, but this had to be changed for legal reasons to something else, therefore "halfling" was picked. This's also the reason that Ents are called Treants, and I know there are more examples, but these are all that came to mind. So halflings are just hobbits with a different name :smallsmile:

Soarel
2014-08-20, 11:10 AM
But...that was the original point of the halfling. It was originally called the hobbit, but this had to be changed for legal reasons to something else, therefore "halfling" was picked. This's also the reason that Ents are called Treants, and I know there are more examples, but these are all that came to mind. So halflings are just hobbits with a different name :smallsmile:

Not really. 3.5 Halflings are a mangling of the original idea, turning the cute little hobbits into dreadlocked river gypsies.