PDA

View Full Version : Try to get 24hour buff

With a box
2014-08-19, 10:14 PM
If we get caster level 14400, then 1round/cl spells are last for 24hour without persist. Is there a way i got there every morning?
Or stack extend spell 10 times?

bjoern
2014-08-19, 10:18 PM
If we get caster level 14400, then 1round/cl spells are last for 24hour without persist. Is there a way i got there every morning?

I know that if I were a level 14,400 wizard that I would want to make sure that my buffs were all in place to protect myself. Wouldn't want to be killed due to my d4 HD .

ryu
2014-08-19, 10:21 PM
I know that if I were a level 14,400 wizard that I would want to make sure that my buffs were all in place to protect myself. Wouldn't want to be killed due to my d4 HD .

At that level I think we can all agree that HD size stopped mattering long, LONG ago.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 10:24 PM
If you want something to last 24 hours, just craft a constant item of it, or use Persistent Spell.

bjoern
2014-08-19, 10:27 PM
If you want something to last 24 hours, just craft a constant item of it, or use Persistent Spell.

Oh god not this again......

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 10:29 PM
Oh god not this again......

Keep it quarantined, boys!

heavyfuel
2014-08-19, 10:50 PM
Keep it quarantined, boys!

Wait, did I miss something?

With a box
2014-08-19, 10:53 PM
I saw the persisted mass and get a 24 duration is persisted or this thing,
I thinks there is a TO that boost your CL into near infinite.

Rebel7284
2014-08-19, 10:58 PM
Well extend spell is pretty easy to get and that cuts down the caster level requirements in half. I recall shadowcraft mage can get extend like 3 times, but only for illusion spells. :-\

Fax Celestis
2014-08-19, 11:11 PM
Wait, did I miss something?

There's another thread currently devolving into the standard "is touch persistable" debate.

With a box
2014-08-19, 11:18 PM
if a incantatrix makes 10 of himself(ice assassin, but simulacrum might can do first few) and uses Cooperative Metamagic to add extended spell wizard casts.
then spell's duration will be 2^10=1024, and we just need caster level 15, witch already achived how can cast ice assassin.

2014-08-20, 06:28 AM
Incantatrix 3 allows you to apply metamagic to effects currently in place. This includes Persistent Spell. As the maximum spell level isn't mentioned in the ability description, we can assume there's no upper limit to this. Since we're only interested in a day-long buff, maybe with a few extras thrown on, let's assume the maximum modified spell level we need to achieve is 20; this means the Spellcraft check necessary to make is going to be about 78.

23 (ranks)+12 (Int mod)+2 (synergy)+30 (circumstance via magic item)=+67 total bonus. I'm sure you can find the other +10 that would guarantee success somewhere; item familiar are the easy route here, but not a necessary one, I'm sure.

Jormengand
2014-08-20, 06:58 AM
If you can cast wish, you can wish for a skull talisman or similar spell-containing object (could even be a potion for a low-level spell) at CL 14400.

Or more, because why not?

Nettlekid
2014-08-20, 07:20 AM
There are ways to get NI CL, but I'm going to offer an alternative solution, which is to get a Cohort of a Psion (Nomad) 5/Metamind 10, making sure to take Practiced Manifester. That character has a ML of 14, 10 for learning powers, and is able to manifest the power Temporal Reiteration, which makes the last round not count against any ongoing durations. With Metamind's capstone they can have infinite powerpoints for a minute, but that minute will never run out because of Temporal Reiteration. Augmenting Temporal Reiteration to affect you too, all of your spell effects will never run out. Perhaps you could PaO the Psion into some little bug which lives in your brain to protect it from harm and make sure it's always by you.

ezkajii
2014-08-20, 09:59 AM
There are ways to get NI CL, but I'm going to offer an alternative solution, which is to get a Cohort of a Psion (Nomad) 5/Metamind 10, making sure to take Practiced Manifester. That character has a ML of 14, 10 for learning powers, and is able to manifest the power Temporal Reiteration, which makes the last round not count against any ongoing durations. With Metamind's capstone they can have infinite powerpoints for a minute, but that minute will never run out because of Temporal Reiteration. Augmenting Temporal Reiteration to affect you too, all of your spell effects will never run out. Perhaps you could PaO the Psion into some little bug which lives in your brain to protect it from harm and make sure it's always by you.

Mother of God. Unlimited manifesting.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-20, 10:34 AM
Mother of God. Unlimited manifesting.

Played that in a game once. Lots of fun. Basically you are a powerful psion with limited powers known due to lost levels. I played him as a buffomancer. The problem was when my DM realized that it worked on NEGATIVE effects with duration. Basically he could hit me with a bunch of debuffs that I had to let my unlimited PP expire to get to go away, along with many of my buffs. It was not nearly as overpowering as it would first appear. Basically, I could reset 1/day. With 4 encounters+ a day, it didn't take much for a bunch of nasty single duration debuffs to force me to make some hard choices.

Chronos
2014-08-20, 11:00 AM
Quoth AvatarVecna:

23 (ranks)+12 (Int mod)+2 (synergy)+30 (circumstance via magic item)=+67 total bonus. I'm sure you can find the other +10 that would guarantee success somewhere; item familiar are the easy route here, but not a necessary one, I'm sure.
You only need another +1, and then take 10 on the check. Or settle for a slightly lower modified level (15th would be enough for a persisted 9th), and use less bonuses.

Nettlekid
2014-08-20, 11:02 AM
Played that in a game once. Lots of fun. Basically you are a powerful psion with limited powers known due to lost levels. I played him as a buffomancer. The problem was when my DM realized that it worked on NEGATIVE effects with duration. Basically he could hit me with a bunch of debuffs that I had to let my unlimited PP expire to get to go away, along with many of my buffs. It was not nearly as overpowering as it would first appear. Basically, I could reset 1/day. With 4 encounters+ a day, it didn't take much for a bunch of nasty single duration debuffs to force me to make some hard choices.

You know, I hadn't really thought about that. I would imagine that access to some kind of status-fixer like Panacea would be the way to go there, so you can get rid of the bad without having to lose the good. Or get Iron Heart Surge in there somehow, that would do the trick. You'd need to find some way to keep it going when you're otherwise stuck. Like Unconditional Power would let you keep it up while you're dazed or stunned, but then you lose your Psionic Focus and are stuck. And still dazed/stunned since the duration didn't expire. Hmm.

I find this works really well with Ardent 5/Metamind 10/Ardent +5, because thanks to Practiced Manifester and the Ardent's weird power selection method (you can pick powers so long as you can manifest the power you pick (Does stuff like Overchannel play into that at all?)) you can still end up with high level powers. Though honestly, you don't need them. It's the low level ones that break the game. If you have the Dominant Ideal ACF for the Ardent, and get Synchronicity on a mantle (Time Mantle, probably) via Substitute Power, you can churn out Twinned Synchronicity for no cost (thanks to your infinite PP) and without expending your Psionic Focus (thanks to Dominant Ideal). You now have an unlimited number of standard actions. Just use a single one of those to manifest any power Linked to Temporal Reiteration so that next turn your durations don't count down, and you don't even have to spend your Swift action every turn. With this combo you don't even need Temporal Reiteration because you don't ever have to let it not be your turn, but you might like to let the other guys go once in a while.

If you can somehow get Affinity Field up, all your allies can get all the standard actions you do from Synchronicity. I kind of want to try this combo not just for myself, but going around the world and getting buffs from various Wizards and Clerics and just having the buffs never run out.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-20, 01:54 PM
You know, I hadn't really thought about that. I would imagine that access to some kind of status-fixer like Panacea would be the way to go there, so you can get rid of the bad without having to lose the good. Or get Iron Heart Surge in there somehow, that would do the trick. You'd need to find some way to keep it going when you're otherwise stuck. Like Unconditional Power would let you keep it up while you're dazed or stunned, but then you lose your Psionic Focus and are stuck. And still dazed/stunned since the duration didn't expire. Hmm.

I find this works really well with Ardent 5/Metamind 10/Ardent +5, because thanks to Practiced Manifester and the Ardent's weird power selection method (you can pick powers so long as you can manifest the power you pick (Does stuff like Overchannel play into that at all?)) you can still end up with high level powers. Though honestly, you don't need them. It's the low level ones that break the game. If you have the Dominant Ideal ACF for the Ardent, and get Synchronicity on a mantle (Time Mantle, probably) via Substitute Power, you can churn out Twinned Synchronicity for no cost (thanks to your infinite PP) and without expending your Psionic Focus (thanks to Dominant Ideal). You now have an unlimited number of standard actions. Just use a single one of those to manifest any power Linked to Temporal Reiteration so that next turn your durations don't count down, and you don't even have to spend your Swift action every turn. With this combo you don't even need Temporal Reiteration because you don't ever have to let it not be your turn, but you might like to let the other guys go once in a while.

If you can somehow get Affinity Field up, all your allies can get all the standard actions you do from Synchronicity. I kind of want to try this combo not just for myself, but going around the world and getting buffs from various Wizards and Clerics and just having the buffs never run out.

I did end up using quite a few scrolls when things got tough. It was a high powered game. The Dm could be irritating enough with effects that are hard to remove that it stayed interesting. We tacked threats WAY over our CR, so things stayed fun. We actually died a lot. Just because you cast a high level power each round, doesn't mean you can't get hit by a truck full of HP damage and die. Also, no swift actions hurts more than you would think. A lot of stuff was just off the table. No belts of battle, no quickened powers. It was a powerful combo, but it wasn't as nova powered as a psion who is just willing to burn PP.

Nettlekid
2014-08-20, 02:14 PM
I did end up using quite a few scrolls when things got tough. It was a high powered game. The Dm could be irritating enough with effects that are hard to remove that it stayed interesting. We tacked threats WAY over our CR, so things stayed fun. We actually died a lot. Just because you cast a high level power each round, doesn't mean you can't get hit by a truck full of HP damage and die. Also, no swift actions hurts more than you would think. A lot of stuff was just off the table. No belts of battle, no quickened powers. It was a powerful combo, but it wasn't as nova powered as a psion who is just willing to burn PP.

Wait, I don't get it, how could it not be? It can be as much of a nova as any Psion, without the drawback of being left without PP. Psions are pretty great at staying alive, if you were using the Vigor/Share Pain combo for tons of health, or Timeless Body if you wanted to be really cheap. The Swift action thing is taken care of by using Linked Power to tack Temporal Reiteration onto something else rather than manifesting it on its own.

But I'm most curious about these effects. What effects did you get hit with that were hard to remove on their own? I ask because I've been thinking about using a similar combo in a high level game coming up, and if I do I'd like to be prepared.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-20, 02:59 PM
A lot of stuff was penalties that are not specifically conditions. We ran into a guy throwing around fell metamagic. I ended up shaken, at -4 str, fatigued, and a bunch of other effects that would normally be temporary. The fatigue was easy to remove, the rest was harder. It takes actions to cure yourself, and the DM pressed us hard enough that we didn't have nearly as many as we needed. You will burn through psionic focuses faster than you think trying to link a power every turn. You are basically trading a move action for a swift action, and eating several feats to get there. You need a means of avoiding sleep, because you need your swifts all night long.

Also, beware of dispels. We fought lots of things that punched above our weight class, so running into a cleric with the inquisition domain who was level 20, ie 5 higher than us was a real pain. He hit me with a reaving dispel and STOLE all my nice buffs! Stunning is a problem, as is anti magic areas. I got disjuncted a few times. That is hard to counter. ALSO FREAKEN IRRESISTIBLE DANCE! Beware of the first moment your mind blank goes down. Lots of dispels got thrown around.

I wasn't running a share pain / vigor combo. Though I had Vigor running, I didn't know about the full power of that combo at the time. Hp was a problem, and even with that, I suspect things could have gone badly. I don't want to think of what would happen if someone stole the share pain effect with my psicrystal on the other end. Nasty.

Also, you have powers known as a 10th level psion. This is at level 15. That hurts. More than you would think. 5th level powers, max, when everyone else is throwing around 7th level spells. Yes, you can use 15+ (with ML boosting) powers around, but only having 20 powers is more of a pain than you would expect.