PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn how to use a tablet

dauvis
2007-03-06, 08:49 PM
I recently got a Wacom Graphire tablet. I am trying to learn how to use it effectively (I know I am going to have to practice using it). Software-wise, I am using Inkscape and GIMP.

Are there any tricks that make things easier? Does anyone know of some good sites that give tips?

Alaric the Mad
2007-03-08, 11:12 AM
Im in the same boat-I got an Intuos 3 9*11 one and while I am getting adept at using it to clean up my pencil work for sale, im not sure how to go about using it for more.

I use Photoshop so that could be part of my problem.:smallconfused:

Flouncy
2007-03-08, 11:12 PM
As Dauvis mentioned there is not substitute for practice and persistence. But what I found helpful when starting out with my tablet was to do a lot of drawings from reference. At first you will not have full control of your pen pressure and direction of your lines but as you practice your hand will become familiar with the different way of working. Reference with help teach your hand were it needs to move, if your line doesn't go were you had intended according to the reference you're using do it again till it looks right.

You got to understand that a tablet is a different way of working. Unlike traditional pencil and paper drawing you look at the end of your pencil as you move it with your hand. With a tablet you look at the screen, not at your hand, this is an adjustment to anyone who has not used a tablet before. The good news is your skill level hasn't dramatically dropped when you first pick up a tablet it just takes a period of adjustment to adapt to a new way of working.

One more thing software is all about what you feel comfortable with and like Alaric I disliked using Photoshop for sketching. So find the program that suits your needs. For me it is a small program with an excellent set of pencils call OpenCanvas (http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/products/oc4/new/). I do all my sketching in this program and take it into photoshop if I want to paint with textured brushes.

Here is a freeware version of OpenCanvas (http://www.foxden.net/~terriekitten/OC11B72.EXE) without a lot of important features of its current new release but still essentially the same program.

Ava
2007-03-09, 11:58 AM
Oo I want a tablet, that sounds fun. Good luck conquering the learning curve. :)

Timberwolf
2007-03-09, 12:15 PM
I have a Wacom Graphire. It just takes a few uses to get the hang of it. Remember that the centre of the pad corresponds to the centre of the screen and you'll be fine. One thing that really helped me was zooming in to do detail work and also, I cannot recommend going into the settings and making the pad as sensitive as possible highly enough. I found I was really having to press to get results until I did that.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-03-10, 02:56 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/rexidiotarum/pogoinsanelarge.gif
((Done in Flash with angle and Pressure on, all the blood was done with a Wacom Graphier, as well as a few minor details))

My advice, experiment. And save frequently, it's caused my programs to crash a few times.