PDA

View Full Version : Shifter homebrew class

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-20, 01:57 AM
Shifters are one of my favorite non-core races. A glimmer of hope resided in me that they might have been core this time around. I can still hope that they'll be in the DMG but that's unlikely. What I most liked about shifters is back in 3.5 with the Races books, Shifters had enough traits to create a wide variety of character options. I've translated those 10 traits as best I can into subraces. Without furthur adeu, Shifters:

Shifters
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity and Wisdom scores each increase by 1.
Age. Shifters are considered adults in their early teens and live a few decades short of a century
Alignment. Most Shifters lean towards chaos. They aren’t against being law abiding citizens but most prefer a free nomadic nature over that of a rigid city lifestyle.
Size. Shifters range from a little over 5 feet to well over 6. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 ft.
Darkvision. Keen senses and bodies built for hunting and stalking you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only in shades of gray.
Natural Athletes. You gain proficiency in the Acrobatics or Athletics skills.
Shifting. A shifter can tap into their lycanthropic heritage to gain a shot burst of power. Each shifter has a trait, determined by their subrace, that grants manifests when a character is shifting. Each shifter trait provides advantage on Wisdom based saving throws. Shifting lasts a number of rounds equal to 2 + half your class level (minimum 3). You can’t shift again until you’ve completed a long rest.
Subrace. Descendants from various different strains of lycanthropy bred to create the shifter race. While the race as a whole may look the same to the less seasoned eyes, many shifters are born with more individual talents. Choose one of these subraces.

Beasthide
Ability Score Increase. Con increases by 1
Beast Hide. Your natural armor adds 1 to your AC
Natural Toughness. While shifting your natural armor bonus is 2 instead of 1 and you are considered proficient in constitution based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Cliffwalk
Ability Score Increase. Dex incases by 1
Cliff Adepts. You gain a climb speed of 20 feet.
Mountain Mastery. While shifting your climb speed is equal to your base speed instead of 20 ft and you are considered proficient in dexterity based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Dreamsight
Ability Score Increase. Wis increases by 1
Natural Attunement. You can communicate to animals as if under the effect of a speak with animals spell.
Sight Beyond Sight. While shifting you are considered proficient in perception and can see invisible creatures as if you are under the effect of a see invisibility spell. You are also considered proficient in Wisdom based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Gorebrute
Ability Score Increase. Str increases by 1
Natural Charger. You gain horns that you are proficient with that can be used as natural weapons but only as a shove attack action. The horns function as natural weapons and deal 1d6 damage.
Brutal Disposition. While shifting your horns deal 2d6 damage when using a shove attack and you are considered proficient in strength based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Longstride
Fleet of Foot. Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Strider. While shifting your base walking speed increases to 40 feet and you are considered proficient in dexterity based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Longtooth
Fanged. You gain a bite attack that you are proficient with. This functions as a natural weapon dealing 1d4 points of damage. Whenever you use the attack action you may use your bonus action to make a bite attack.
Fierce and Feral. While shifting your fangs deal 1d6 damage instead of 1d4 and you are considered proficient in strength based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Razorclaw
Clawed. You gain a Claw attack that you are proficient with. The claws function as a natural weapon and as a finesse weapon and deal 1d4 points of damage
Quick and Cutting. While shifting you can make an attack with your claws anytime you use the attack action and you are considered proficient in strength based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Swiftwing
Winged. You gain a pair of wings that allow you to glide at a speed of 20 feet per round. You must end the round of the ground otherwise you will fall at the end of the round. The wings are usually leathery, like a bat, but some have been known to be feathered like a bird's.
Child of the Air. While shifting your wings instead grant you a fly speed equal to your base speed and you are considered proficient in dexterity based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Truedive
Elite Lungs. You can hold your breath a number of rounds equal to your constitution score x5 and gain a swim speed equal to half your base speed.
Of the Sea. While shifting you can breath underwater and you are considered proficient in constitution based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Wildhunt
Bred for the Hunt. Your proficiency bonus in perception and survival doubles when attempting to track by order or tracks. You automatically can tell the direction of familiar scents within 30 feet of you.
Sense of Nature. While shifting you gain blindsense 20 feet and you are considered proficient in constitution based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

The hardest trait to translate was, of course, shifting. Ability score increases aren't something that 5e seems to do. I turned to the barbarians rage for some inspiration. I also didn't want to take away from a barbarian's rage as an option so I wanted to do different things. As it stands I'm not sold on the saving throw proficiencies but I can't think of a better option. I've also considered throwing in temp hit points but that would've just been something else I'd have to scale.

Input is very much appreciated, as is balance and phrasing of mechanics. Also feel free to toss out trait names, most of them were just things I threw in last minuet.

Hope you enjoy.

eastmabl
2014-08-20, 08:42 AM
It looks pretty good, although it comes with the grain of salt that I'm still digesting the PHB.

Any particular reason why the shifter gets a Wis bump baseline? I seem to recall them getting bumps to physical stats in 3.5, and only the dreamsight shifter got any bonus to a mental stat.

As for shifters, I'm sure that we'll get them come the Eberron Campaign Setting (or sooner).

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-20, 11:14 AM
Any particular reason why the shifter gets a Wis bump baseline? I seem to recall them getting bumps to physical stats in 3.5, and only the dreamsight shifter got any bonus to a mental stat.

I didn't want them to be devoid of any 4e flavor and wisdom makes a lot of sense for an ex-lycanthropic race. Heightened senses and bound more to the natural world. Also in my planing phase I was thinking about the base ability scores all shifters would have. Without subrace I'm pretty sure they'd look a lot like wood elves (+2 dex, +1 wis). I like that mine are a little more flexable but they still do best as dex or wis based creatures.

Kryx
2014-12-22, 08:28 AM
Beast Hide. Your natural armor adds 1 to your AC
Natural Toughness. While shifting your natural armor bonus is 2 instead of 1 and you are considered proficient in constitution based saving throws and double the proficiency bonus to them.

Bonuses to AC are huge. If anything I'd give +1 to AC while shifted, but I find even that a bit too strong.

Fanged. You gain a bite attack that you are proficient with. This functions as a natural weapon dealing 1d4 points of damage. Whenever you use the attack action you may use your bonus action to make a bite attack.

A always-on bonus action to get a second attack? This is literally the best race for any Two handed fighter or sword and board character in terms of damage. Even if you limited it to only work while shifted the conditions are far too easy to meet and it would still be insanely good.

Overall I think your choices are decent, but bland. Adding advantages on saves to everything while shifted is a bit mundane. For readability sake they should be split into separate bullets.

Feldarove
2014-12-22, 10:54 AM
I think one minute for shifting as opposed to changing as you level is the better option.

For me, too many of the features offered goofy bonuses. Advantage on this save, bite attack, etc. While having all those difference flavors, its a bit much for each subclass to vary that heavily. I would go back and look at the Races in the PHB and try to rework your shifter.

However, its a great start. The skinchanger was good too!

I think with a few tweaks you'll be there.

eastmabl
2014-12-22, 02:09 PM
Two thoughts:

To bring shifters more in line with the PHB races (that aren't humans or half elves), I would make the base ability bonus +2 to either Con or Dex, and then give +1 to the subrace stat.

I don't like the idea of shifting once per long rest - I feel like its limited usage detracts from the race. You could consider nerfing the shifted boost to allow shifting to reset on a short or long rest.

Other than my minor complaints, it looks pretty solid.

Alternately: We could try to build it akin to another PHB class with multiple subraces - the Dragonborn. I don't have the core books with me at work, so I can't make suggestions - but +2/+1 in stats, an ability akin to speaking Draconic, an ability that is akin to the breath attack which recharges on a short/long rest, and a static ability akin to the resistance.

You could be on ball with that suggestion, but I can't confirm.

Kryx
2014-12-22, 02:25 PM
There are too many different subclasses to have the base race have the same bonus to stats imo. Especially with the Skinwalkers. With the Shifters you could do +1 Wis and then adjust the rest accordingly.

I'm going to move my post to another post to receive feedback on it accordingly.