PDA

View Full Version : Describing a massive acid attack

hymer
2014-08-20, 04:33 AM
One of the good suggestions on how to describe a scene is to include something for as many senses as possible. It's made me stop and think about how little I know about vast amounts of acid being applied to an area, like via acid dragon breath.
I imagine the smell would be horrible and 'chemical', and eyes and nose would sting even if you stand far enough away not to get hit. But what would it look like? What does it do to the surroundings? Does it generate steam or smoke? What does it sound like? And so on.
All comments, thoughts, ideas, etc. are welcome.

With a box
2014-08-20, 04:48 AM
Buy some acid and four it on a slice of meat
Decalimer: Do Not use it on living thing

snailgosh
2014-08-20, 04:51 AM
Id say surfaces getting sprinkled get all bubbly and/or covered in tiny holes, accompanied by the sound of soda rushing out of a coke bottle after shaking it
there may very well be fumes stinging in the nose, preferrably dark brown or greenish

strangebloke
2014-08-20, 11:12 AM
Acid is REALLY nasty

The smell of rotten eggs (some acid, for example sulphuric acid, smells like this)

Heat coming not from the acid, but from the things that it's melting. If you drop an egg into acid the egg will be hard-boiled before the shell is melted away completely.

You know that feeling you get when you cut onions? That, times 10,000. Even if you aren't in the path of the acid, your eyes and mouth are going to feel like they're on fire. You weep uncontrollably just to keep the acid out of your eyes.

Acid isn't usually green, although in Dnd, it usually is. IRL acid looks like water, although due to everthing else, you would never confuse it.

Stuff touched by the acid is being broken done into its elemental components and then washed away, so everything the acid touches is either washed away, or turned into a gas. (bubbles everywhere) Double for horror as this happens to your own limbs.

My description of acid:
"The dragon opens his jaws and a noxious stench fills your nostrils as he roars and spews a massive stream of noxious, burning, fluid. Wherever the fluid hits you, your skin itself boils away. Whatever is touched by the fluid evaporates into a hot gas so pungent that it fills your mouth with a vile taste. You cry uncontrollably as your tear ducts try to wash away the disgusting gas from your eyes. You all take 34 damage, reflex save to half. Roll for initiative."

JusticeZero
2014-08-20, 05:58 PM
Acid and fire are both attack modes which on Earth are on the far side of horrific. I wouldn't think too hard about the effects, since if you do, you'll be tossing around permanent -10s to all social checks far too liberally.

jaydubs
2014-08-20, 06:04 PM
I thought this thread was about LSD.